Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Consistently Working Under Vista

Default Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

The game runs great once your inside using Vista. I actually found it runs better than on my old computer but that might be because I have much better computer.

I also had the same problem being able to run horizons.exe after cutting off the computer and restarting.

Unfortunately, to fix it I had to totally uninstall horizons and delete the folder off the C drive.

I then followed everything as before and logged in just fine.

I guess we have to keep our computers running for now!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

well, i am unable to log back into blight, even after numerous restarts and reworkings of my settings.
    but i retain hope that there can be a permanent fix and that i can once again run thru the lands i love (and nt, too, i guess - )

wait for me if you can, my friends, and i hope we can be together again soon!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Are you trying to log in to Blight using the launcher or the website? While I don't have Vista, even using XP, I found I had to use the website to log in to Blight, but the launcher wouldn't work.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

nope using the website......
    i keep getting the 'horizons.exe file has stopped working' error box.....
    i certainly hope this is something tptb are working on....

Thats what I get also, well throught Firefox IEtab, With IE7 I get an error opening the file that has the no patch list in it. Using firefox I get a different temp file used every time I try to log in well in consecrative attempts. If I reboot I seem to go back to a set temp file. I wonder if I can find where that temp file is and delete it and that will help. I have tried searching for it but can never find it.

I'm attempting to get my hubby to have a look into the Vista problem - he was the bloke who did the initial work getting Horizons working under Linux. The thing is he absolutely LOATHES Vista and the only thing I can get out of him at the moment is "first, uninstall Vista" but I'll keep trying to press him.

For anyone who would rather have a go at getting it working under Linux instead, I could dig up his old notes. I admit they mean bogall to me personally, but they may make more sense to you lot instead. However, I need to get back in touch with the HZ lot and make sure it doesn't break any of their ToS (back in The Day, the chief coder was actually thrilled he'd got it working and wanted to know how he'd done it, however things may have changed dramatically on that score).

When I know, I'll get things posted here.

Ok I had it working for a while and now I am having problems again...

anyway one thing for anyone else to check.

Every time the updater changes files, it replaces the permissions for those files too, so you have to redo setting the user permissions for the entire horizons folder to full controll. I upgraded to blight and then back down to chaos...and it hooped the game again. Changing the permissions and a reboot fixed it temporarily.

But now I am having problems for some other reason that I haven't discerned yet.

one thing i do know is that if your firewall(s) are turned on, as i suspect they r, then u have to have all 3 exe files in there so they wont stop the game. i always check to see that these r still there when i restart. cant hurt since i had to add the silentpatcher.exe after a restart once already.
    1. horizons.exe
    2. horizonslauncher.exe
    3. silentpatcher.exe

Antii-virus is the same way but i put the whole folder for horizons to not guard but it gets scanned each nite.

Also check the pop-up blocker in IE to be sure that it isnt blocking horizons exe files.

I also have better luck using the login screen set to true as i typed it below.
    /setpref useloginscreen true

there is a way to make the permissions for the above 3 folders permanent.
    1. go into the hz folder and find each of the above files and right click into properties.
    2. now click on the compatibility tab and go to the bottom and check load as administrator and apply. (i even clicked on the button at bottom to show setting for all users and checked the same and applied )
    3. say ok how ever many times it takes to get back to HZ folder and repeat for each of the above exe files.

I had no problem with any permissions as long as i made each one permanent. i have gone, since update, from order to chaos and back to order with no problems and only had to update once. From order i went into blight after the update and then back into order with an update with no troubles at all.

hope this helps and keep computer on til they find a more permanent fix i guess.

Ann

Do you mean the loading screen? /setpref useloadingscreen true?

yes, thank you for making that correction.

/setpref useloadingscreen true

Ann

thanx ann!!
    your posting on making the permissions permanent has allowed me to get back into blight!!
    if it works, i will be happy to pay the sub price until the permanent fix is out.
    thanx thanx thaanx ann!! even tho i am the only one in the world at the moment.....

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    thanx ann!!
    your posting on making the permissions permanent has allowed me to get back into blight!!
    if it works, i will be happy to pay the sub price until the permanent fix is out.
    thanx thanx thaanx ann!! even tho i am the only one in the world at the moment.....
    well, i was on and in the middle of mining when i had a system crash. when i came back in, i was unable to login to horizons (blight) again, got the usual 'horizons.exe stopped working' error. the launchers are all under 'run as admin for all users' and all the other stuff is still in place.

so i am thinking i am gonna have to wait for the vista patch, altho i will keep trying to log after restarts, like ann did.......
    this emotional rollercoaster is beginning to be totally not fun!

was happy to hear u got on and sorry that u cant now. that happened to me when i had to do an update. sometimes doing a restart helps and sometimes jus waiting time with the comp on helps. hope so see u in game soon and ill keep praying that they find a permanent fix for all the vista users

Ann

Blight ---- Anne Dryad 188 rating (Main character in Blight)
    Blight --- Annyia 100/61/6 Helian Dragon
    MissAna_Chaos Human in Blight Dedicated player since Beta!!!!!

My findings on the matter if your Vista is fully updated

You do NOT need to install the DLLs that the HTLM tutorial of the other thread says to install.
    You DO need to install the 2005 runtime linked in that thread by another player.
    You do NOT need to disable DEP, not on my computer at least (Vista 32 bit Ultimate).

When I heard the ancient starting music again... I was melting inside.

Since I don't have my Unity characters I created a little beastie on Chaos, called VahrokhJr.

As I entered the game, in 10 seconds 3 hatchies popped up along mine.

Sign that something is moving?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

say no to dragons !!!

bipeds unite...

*Emperor Palpatine voice*
    *Pompous imperial music*

Peace and Order will be restored...

... when we'll be finally back at the titanic dragons vs bipeds flame threads

Heh, we even got rants back for something
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post

As I entered the game, in 10 seconds 3 hatchies popped up along mine.

Sign that something is moving?

at least 10 new hatchies on NT were spotted tonight
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    At least 10 new hatchies on NT were spotted tonight.

Oh, my; time to start stocking the connies again....

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Lightbulb Re: Consistently Working Under Vista

Velveeta and all those that r still having troubles,

i have had to restart as many as 15-20 times and then the next time i restart it works, sometimes waiting for awhile and doing something else works, i have no idea what it is that is causing all the troubles but for some unknown reason my vista premium and all the things i have suggested have worked. i know there r others that have had problems and cant even get to where i have. but i think only a few were as successful as i have been, maybe that should be lucky i dont know. sometimes i found its a matter of letting all the items startup and the computer sit for awhile, anywhere from 5 min to overnite. but so far each day sometime or another i can get in, and its something i did and dont know to tell everyone i am sure. i have gone over everything i did and wrote it down as previously stated but nothing i can think of except all firewalls, all anti-virus, and all ALL popup blockers have to let hz thru. all the http addresses i put on there along with those i copied from other threads.

WAIT: there is only one thing i can think of that might help.

1. open IE
    2. click on tools
    3. click on internet options
    4. under the security tab with trusted sites highlighted
    5. click on sites and add this....its the only thing i didnt mention. (you should have done this already but you have to uncheck the option to require server verification(https://) for all sites in this zone.)

https://*.istaria.com
    http://*.istaria.com

i hope this helps.

Blight ---- Anne Dryad 188 rating (Main character in Blight)
    Blight --- Annyia 100/61/6 Helian Dragon
    MissAna_Chaos Human in Blight Dedicated player since Beta!!!!!

well, after only two restarts, i was able to log back into blight!!
    at least i know that i can get back in, just have to work at it a bit, so i guess i will be signing up for the grandfathered year...........

please do not take this to mean that i can wait on a permenant fix, tho.....please make this a top priority, once you have the billing thing taken care of.......

(repost)

Thread Information