Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One less that would return.

Default One less that would return.

I only had one chance left to give Virtrium. That chance has now been used up due to heavy handed moderation.

I suggest that the powers that be rectify the situation by posting rules, and changing them to fit your moderators viewpoints.

In the past these forums were PG-13. They are apparently now to be PG per Velea.

Good luck, I really hope you are able to pull it off, but you will be doing it without my dollars.

Default Re: One less that would return.

Huh. I didn't know forums were rated the same way movies are. :P

Maybe this helps: MPAA Film Ratings

For PG:
    There may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance.
    I think trying to apply the movie rating system to collaborative, two-way communication (such as a forum) is a bad idea. I'll agree -- please come up with your own rules and guidelines.

!!!!! Depictions of brief nudity??? I'm all for this!

Can we have your stuff?

To late I already got it the lat time he left. /9-> and sorry about the color change there Kumu.

Mmm a post editing isn't nearly as bad as:

Sorry, you've been banned from posting messages in this forum.

Reason for Ban: Racial, religious or ethnic slurs
    You may NOT post or place in a signature any material that disparages any religion, race, nation, gender, or sexual orientation.

Length of Ban: 2 weeks (from 08/24/2007 10 : 29 : 23 to 09/07/2007 10 : 29 : 23)

All participants of this forum are expected to abide by the forum's Rules of Conduct.

If you feel this ban is unjustified please review the Rules of Conduct, and if you still feel the ban was enacted in error, contact the administrator and describe your reasons.

--

That's the issue with 'official' forums.. little kids would read them and, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    I only had one chance left to give Virtrium. That chance has now been used up due to heavy handed moderation.

I suggest that the powers that be rectify the situation by posting rules, and changing them to fit your moderators viewpoints.

In the past these forums were PG-13. They are apparently now to be PG per Velea.

Good luck, I really hope you are able to pull it off, but you will be doing it without my dollars.
    Kumu: Have you brought this up with any of the moderators via PM? You are free to PM me about it, and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

Thanks!

-Menkure

/me hoards Kumu

Can I have all yor stuff then Kumu?

I have been banned from WoW forums so many times (for at least a week per ban) I lost the count, never on this forum (maybe once on tazoon.com) though.

They don't even take time to edit posts, you get your ban in your face and live with it.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

WOW! What did I miss????
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are currently working on a new set of Forum Rules. These new rules will be posted later today.

-Horizons Customer Support

Your new rules are so far beyond vague it's not funny. Your moderators will be inconsistent and biased to their own personal beliefs of what is or is not vulgar.

How about my old signature? Is that now considered "vulgar"? When I first posted with it there were many prudes who came out and called it ********.

I personally would say to anyone who was standing in front of me the exact words that I was moderated for.

The rules are horrible. Not detailed, consequences for non-compliance not listed, and open to personal bias.

Somehow I don't think posting a "ZOMG I'm not cming bak!!!!!" post will help you much....

I know a lot of people who would "personally say" loads of highly uncool things, because they don't think they're being vulgar when, quite honestly they WERE. A forum isn't a democracy - when you sign in you agree to their rules, whatever they are. If you want a place to say whatever you want, whenever you want, create your own forum. *shrug*

/golfclap

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoChanLung View Post
    Somehow I don't think posting a "ZOMG I'm not cming bak!!!!!" post will help you much....

I know a lot of people who would "personally say" loads of highly uncool things, because they don't think they're being vulgar when, quite honestly they WERE. A forum isn't a democracy - when you sign in you agree to their rules, whatever they are. If you want a place to say whatever you want, whenever you want, create your own forum. *shrug*

/golfclap
    Glad to see you think you have everything figured out. What with your whole two posts and signing up this month.

When I signed up, I did in fact agree to the rules. Those rules stated that this forum was PG-13. They also happen to be gone as far as I can see other than this new post (Which wasn't here till after the moderation anyway)

The rules are still vague and up for major interpretation. That will only cause more problems and frankly is a problem that I have seen on these forums before. Lack of rules and inconsistent enforcement.

As for things that are vulgar...I don't think you even know what I said that was moderated. I doubt that out of your two whole posts (Including this one) that you have had the time to find my one edited post before it was edited.

As for my "ZOMG I'm not cming bak!!!!!!" post, it was not made to help myself. It was made to point out a problem that Virtrium must face. One that was dealt with HORRIBLY in the past. Oh, sorry, you wouldn't know anything about any of that now would you...
    Last edited by Kumu Honua; August 28th, 2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: None of your business.

with the greatest of respect, the fact that the person hadn't posted up until now does not mean that they haven't been viewing the forums for years but had nothing to say until now.

It's a possibility. Please, Kumu, have some patience too. I can understand you're angry (still don't know the reason why though, what actually happened??) but don't lose the plot completely
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoChanLung View Post

/golfclap

You post smacks of the WoW forums. I don't think you really want to engage anyone here with that attitude.

The rules are still vague and up for major interpretation. That will only cause more problems and frankly is a problem that I have seen on these forums before. Lack of rules and inconsistent enforcement.
    I agree. Sadly, this is a problem many forums have. Though I can name a couple that don't. Like Woody's forum. As much as I dislike the moderation over at GUcomics.com, at least he is specific about what he won't allow (darned near anything. If I'd posted this there it would have been deleted for multiple reasons heh. You can't question the moderation, you can't say "I agree" anywhere in a post, you can't reply to a post questioning moderation).

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post
    It's a possibility. Please, Kumu, have some patience too. I can understand you're angry (still don't know the reason why though, what actually happened??) but don't lose the plot completely
    I like Kumu, but he's always a wee bit vulgar and ever so slightly miffed. He's just being himself right now. The tone of his posts is exactly the same as it was years ago.

some might remember that I absolutely dislike things like banning, closing, censorship of all kinds.

But I had to learn, that it is necessary.
    People go as far as you let them go.
    And often enough - that is too far.

The more we are (posting in this forum)- the more moderation is needed.
    It`s a shame- but the way it is

*huggs peaches*

Been here since pre-Beta, when you could get salt rock in nearly every third harvest when mining, and we used to do the "mining shuffle" when a resource was gone. I remember when there weren't any adult dragons because apparently they weren't finished. I remember how pissed off people were then, and there were a LOT of people ingame at the time. So it goes with Horizons; people are either devoted to the point of insanity, or they're whinging about everything wrong in the game...but they still play it.

Never bothered with the forums in all that time and I'm only bothering now because it has only been, what, a WEEK, since the old crew is on the job, only a week since the forums were open to new players and accounts and already people are already complaining and writing their rants. It shouldn't surprise me...but I should be used to the workings of the internet by now. Most of the time I just read and don't say much because what's another post? Just more blah blah blah, really, but I will readily admit I'm rather stunned people have started the same old rants in one form or another within such a short period of time. I also admit I don't understand WHY...surely the /uninstall button came with their game like everyone else. And, finally I admit adding my "What is wrong with you people, either play it or don't play it, honestly, it's that simple" will also go unheard - a forum is for people to stand on their soapboxes and shout as loudly as possible, not for anyone to actually LISTEN. Hence I won't post much as all - as I've never felt a mere game was important enough to preach about.

When I decided to sign up about two weeks ago, they kept banning my sign up account before I started because the forum is set up under the old rules and system; I had to write to them personally to change it. They did. It worked a treat - I could have posted a public rant about how awful they were and how pissed off I was and how they utterly ruined my life because I couldn't log in, but I didn't. I PMed staff, and they sorted it, and are still sorting it - it seems the forum permissions are pretty borked and if we're all clamouring to get the game bugs finally sorted, I imagine forums are low on the list. Common sense isn't so hard. And as I've said before, just because someone may not think they're being vulgar doesn't mean they aren't being. Gods knows I know plenty of people who think telling racist jokes is really funny, even though they cheese me off. Freedom of speech arguments don't fly with me, because freedom doesn't mean "Do as you please", it should be "responsibility of speech" - being aware that one's words may have repercussions and negative actions, and deciding when it's best to do so. Unfortunately, that's nearly impossible on the internet because you can't actually just reach through the screen and punch someone if they're being a prat. Hence those "fascist rules".

A forum isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship, and one accepts that when one presses the "I agree". To me the rules are pretty clear, but to someone who is "always a wee bit vulgar and ever so slightly miffed", I imagine it's a greyer area. And no matter how much they wrote out the rules, someone would STILL find a way to get round them (why else does the ***** thing exist other than as a workaround for people who absolutely INSIST on swearing?).

If it's a "WoW attitude", then perhaps the entire three pages of posts after the "setting things straight" thread should be removed; and also the posts above mine of "can I have your stuff"?. Maybe we need a "I'm never coming back!" thread so people can complain to their hearts content, and we can decide whether or not be can be bothered to read the rant.

Thread Information