Thread: Anyone know how to recover files from an old windows installation

Default Anyone know how to recover files from an old windows installation

I had a windows install that got corrupted and couldn't get windows to reinstall on that drive (kept getting locked up@ SP2).

I swapped master/slave drives and did a clean windows install on the former slave drive. Windows loaded cleanly, but when I try to access the old my documents in the old drive's documents & settings/user folder, it says access denied. When I try to navigate to it in DOS it says file not found or something along those lines.

Does anyone know if I can get to those files to copy them over to the new hard drive?

TIA.

Default Re: Anyone know how to recover files from an old windows installation

Way 1)
    - you need to be logged in with an administrative account on your new system
    - If you then cannot enter the folders on the old system drive, you need to add yourselv permissions to it. (The administrator as not all rights, but he has the right to claim each right for himself)
    -- right cklick on the folder
    -- cose preferences
    -- go to security tab
    -- add your user to the list and grant full access

Way 2)
    - insert a unix CD like Knoppix or else
    - browse through your files and copy the data
    -- you may need to change the access right so you will be able to write on ntfs partitions, normally only read access is set by linux/unix

Way 3)
    - convert the old HDD back from ntfs to fat32 and all acces restrictions are gone :P
    -- you will need a partition manager
    -- will cause some data chaos :P
    PS: try before
    -- open a dos box (start->run)
    -- type: convert <Volume> /fs:ntfs /NoSecurity
    --- normally used to convert fat->ntfs, never tried if it works to remove security flags on ntfs
    Last edited by Chaldor Itieles; August 28th, 2007 at 09:46 AM.

Way #1:

No preferences when I right click on the folder, and no security tab either under properties.

the P.S. says "volume already NTFS"

so I guess it's #2

Creme - The first method, as Chaldor has outlined, should work for you but needs a little elaboration.

1. Log in with an account that has administrative rights (the default Administrator account is not necessary and in good practice should not be used on a regular basis).

2. Open Windows file manager, Explorer (e.g. open any folder, such as My Computer), and from the menu options at the top select Tools -> Folder Options.

3. In the Folder Options window from the previous step, select the View tab, scroll down and de-select the checkmark next to "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)" then click on "OK" or "Apply". If Windows nags you about your choice, just confirm that yes, this is what you intended.

4. The previous step will now have unlocked the Security tab in the Properties context of most drives and folders. So, browse to the folder with the contents you wish to access, right-click and select the Properties context action, click on the Security tab and either click on "Add.." to add your user account to the list, or use the default Administrators group, and check the box under the Allow column for Full Control. Click on Ok and agree to the prompts Windows will place before you.

Incidentially, regarding Way #3: To the best of my knowledge, native Windows tools cannot convert from NTFS to FAT or FAT32. They are simply not designed to work this way. Some third-party software can accomplish this indirectly by way of creating a FAT partition and copying over the files, though they are usually not free and may still encounter problems due to improper permissions.
    Rralix Naroth : Hatchling Dragon, Adv 40 / Craft 47 / Lair 20 - Order Shard
    Draygon : Hatchling Dragon, Adv 12 / Craft 13 - Blight Shard (alive once more!)

Note:
    If u have Windows XP Home, the security Tab is deactivated by M$ for all users in the normal OS mode. To get it up, you need to run your os in "secured mode" -> press F8 before windows boot screen shows up.

Thread Information