Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Concerning Unity

Default Re: Concerning Unity

Man.. they let me down. They were supposed to be creative.. I told them twice.. sheesh.

They were supposed to say something like...

"We tried to move Vahrokh over to chaos and when we were done.. Vahrokh had a dragon head on top of a dryad body and had a really bad temper"

See... that looks believable.. yes?

Doesn't claim progress or success!

LOL

j/k

that's cool.. thanks VI for the update.

Hey!! I thought you agreed to keep that our little secret.

*sighs* Well, at least you didn't tell them about the Saris tail. That was the really embarrassing part.

Hiya there,

Is there something new about Unity?

im waiting now since months to play again ^^

=)

p.s. and yes im still alive rhialto playing WoW
    Adventure Classes many
    Craft Classes many
    Rating 200

I really cross my fingers for the Unity-import to go through soon, not because I miss my characters there, but because it would mean the plot-reclamation on Chaos would be one step closer Not having a lair to build really makes me a sad panda (dragon)

*peeks around looking for Unity*

Just imagine... its christmas eve... you log onto the forums to post a christmas message to all on here... whats this? an announcement? ... a mysterious link, you follow it, input your unity username... Pevil lives again!

...I can dream.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I wonder what is better for the game:
    - make a better client which 'might' attract some new players
    or
    - convert the unity database so it can be imported in chaos/order which gives a certain paying customer increase which gives more money with which more employees can be paid to enhance the game further (and i doubt that people who can update the client are not able to work with databases...)

Both endeavors are being worked on Sibbe. Specifically, we've been told that they are working on trying to automate as much of a Unity transfer as possible, and that that will happen before the next plot reclamation, both of which are high priorities.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Yeah i know, but i just dont understand the priorities. With more income, they should have an easier time doing the other stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Sibbe View Post
    I wonder what is better for the game:
    - make a better client which 'might' attract some new players
    or
    - convert the unity database so it can be imported in chaos/order which gives a certain paying customer increase which gives more money with which more employees can be paid to enhance the game further (and i doubt that people who can update the client are not able to work with databases...)
    Like has already been said, both are being worked on. And having been a programmer myself, I can almost guarantee that those working on the new client wouldn't know a database if it came up and said "hello, I'm a database". Polygonal occlusion algorithms and complex database migration don't exactly go hand in hand

Antonath

ok i know that things to finish take time but near 1 year passed since EI LE OM or whatever the new owner of HZ is called got the Unity Database

so i wonder if this task (to implement the Unity DB) is possible at all?

and i dont think that HZ´s owner have the manpower/money/time to work on this

but i hope for all hardcore fans that im wrong and that the unity realm will respawn soon

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    ok i know that things to finish take time but near 1 year passed since EI LE OM or whatever the new owner of HZ is called got the Unity Database

so i wonder if this task (to implement the Unity DB) is possible at all?

and i dont think that HZ´s owner have the manpower/money/time to work on this

but i hope for all hardcore fans that im wrong and that the unity realm will respawn soon
    EI has nothing to do with HZ and have not had that for months, so why bring them into this discussion.

EI did nothing with the Unity database just like they did nothing with the Chaos and Order databases, even if they did bother to acquire it. Personally, I doubt EI got the database because we know that Virtrium had to negotiate with GN (hope I have those initials correct for the European company that ran Unity) for the Unity character database. Those negotiations wouldn't have been able to start until after the end of August when Virtirium aquired the rights to Horizons from EI, so they wouldn't have gotten the database until sometime in September by my reconning.

Once VI had the Unity character data, they had to look to see what they actually had, because we have been told that the database was formatted completely differently. That probably includes different identifier numbers for each spell, technique, and piece of equipment if my previous database translation experiences have any application here.

Once they identify characters, spells and techniques, carried equipment, lair or plot ownership, items stored in the lair/plot and vault, etc. a way is needed to try to automate the character transfer. That has to be developed from the ground up, and part of it will likely have to be done by hand anyway. Especially since some items and spells on Unity may not match up exactly with the Chaos/Order items.

So, am I shocked that its been at most 4 months that the database guy (with as small a team as they have I expect its just one database expert, maybe two) has been working on this? Nope. Trying to merge different databases is difficult even when its just upgrading data for a new version of software by the same company. ((We're looking at spending around $60,000 at school to upgrade from version 6 to version 7 of Blackbaud Admissions software, and the software upgrade itself is free...))
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Thread Information