Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make coin ?

Default How do you make coin ?

The last time I played Horizons was before the pawn broker nerf. Both my wife and I were able to buy plots strictly though crafting and then selling to the PB. You know make 50 of something run to your PB and sell it all.

Not long after that and one of the primary reasons we never really returned Tulga decided that reducing a pawnbrokers ability to buy ANYTHING was the way to go. That was obviously directed at us crafters who were making coin in this fashion.

Reason I ask is that I was messing around last night and checked out items posted to the beginning area connies. Things were umm kind of expensive and what little playing I did I was clearly not generating enough money to be able to buy anything.

So I ask those that have been playing with that change how do you make coin ?? Cause if we should return we are still going to be crafters at heart. With no one around really to buy what I can make I am concerned over our ability to make money in game. ( I am saying that everyone can pretty much make their own stuff anyway )

Do you run around to various Pawn brokers and sell off till you have nothing left ? Or am I totally misunderstanding what they did there ?

Default Re: How do you make coin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryagain View Post
    The last time I played Horizons was before the pawn broker nerf. Both my wife and I were able to buy plots strictly though crafting and then selling to the PB. You know make 50 of something run to your PB and sell it all.

Not long after that and one of the primary reasons we never really returned Tulga decided that reducing a pawnbrokers ability to buy ANYTHING was the way to go. That was obviously directed at us crafters who were making coin in this fashion.

Reason I ask is that I was messing around last night and checked out items posted to the beginning area connies. Things were umm kind of expensive and what little playing I did I was clearly not generating enough money to be able to buy anything.

So I ask those that have been playing with that change how do you make coin ?? Cause if we should return we are still going to be crafters at heart. With no one around really to buy what I can make I am concerned over our ability to make money in game. ( I am saying that everyone can pretty much make their own stuff anyway )

Do you run around to various Pawn brokers and sell off till you have nothing left ? Or am I totally misunderstanding what they did there ?
    You can still sell to pawns, just not crafted items sell bars brick orbs gems and so on. the price you get drops fast already after 500 units it will go down max is 3000 units.

To illustate 2k cut jade gems gives me 32 silver 3k gives me 36 silver.
    so hop around a bit.

So the

Item drops through adventuring are not limited. this is good.

Crafted items are. price starts dropping after 500 units sold to a max of 3000 crafted items.

Question I have then is this

Is there a time period for the PB to reset ? and are these item limits for the pawnbroker limited to a PER character or the pawnbroker itself. So if 3 crafters are using that Pawnbroker their total sales to that pawnbroker are included in the 3000 item limit ?

thanks for the reply.

Ok, this is what they did:

You are allowed to dump quantity onto a pawn broker (PB) for a set amount of cash. If you attempt to go and get more of the "same" stuff, and dump it on the PB, you will get less money, and less.

There is a point where the PB will not take your items due to too many of that item has been turned in.
    Edit: PB reset every 24 hours.

Rule of thumb: Dump your stuff on PBs that are NOT near the resource that you are selling. Try to find PBs that are player built and are not "locked out" and dump them there. Try to diversify what you gather for cash.

The real way people make money now are having older guildies, or your main character, go get the cash for you if you are starting out. If you are 100th level dragon and have done AROP, helping others with the Rift Run nets you some good cash. Hunting high level content will get formulas dropped, and a bunch of those are worth up to 3sp each. Killing Ogres, pygmies, bi-ped undead, and a few other mobs at the high levels can drop 1-2sp per kill. Marshall quests are "cash only" based on level and repeatable. Don't forget, turning in trophies also nets you cash, and at the higher levels, getting paid 6sp per turn in can get you some cash.

Also if you do the "Free Grant" quest, that's worth 25sp
    If you wait and upgrade your vault to level 6, doing the "free vault upgrade" will get you 100sp (fed ex quests, and it's the only way to get level 7 vault if you do the quest last after upgrading to the max)

Just some pointers, some others here may have some suggestions.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

so could someone just make 50 of something different and then go sell it all to the PB ? That sounds like a loophole Tulga would have closed but I thought I'd ask anyway.

But given your comment Justa Mirage it sounds like the game isn't friendly to new players. As I said I made a new char and played last night. I wasn't making much money from drops( not that I should be that is) and my other option for crafting seems limited. Not everyone that plays the game for the first time is going to have a sugar daddy .

Luckily I have a biped with plenty of coin. But that won't help me if I play on order instead. However it has been a long time since I was poor in any game. It might be refreshing to be poor for awhile. Of course I could be overstating and issue that isn't an issue.

thank you for the informative replies.

At my times, on Unity, we'd create basic things and put them on the newbie islands for sale for symbolic prices, it helped.

I made a "bot" too, that spammed instructions on how to play and sold itself tons of stuff for cheap and unlike NPCs there was me talking with the newbies so they could get the correct things even not knowing the game.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Things may have changed some but I've always seen processed resources, especially dim orbs, sell quite well when priced right. It also helps to learn where the busiest consigners on the server are and put your items there. On Chaos, that would be the consigner next to the Bristugo nexus.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Go into the Dragon channel and see if any lairshapers need Tier1 resources.

You can make money making bronze bars, dim orbs, etc. as those are needed in huge bulk for any lairshaping task. A lot of times, people will have a private consigner that they can add you to - you make the items, put them on the consigner and you get paid when they buy them from the consigner then. Something to consider

I think the going rate is ~15c each for bronze bars, dim orbs, and sandstone bricks - and at the volume that most dragons need, you can make some money that way.

i can also tell you that if you are a true newbie or jus a new char of ANY type you can talk to the guy that walks around the shrine and talks to the pawn broker in New Tris. and he will give you a quest for the gifted. if you do all the quests and follow all directions you can get 9sp jus from that quest, i do it each time i start a new char jus for the xp/coin you get. you can also talk to the town marshalls they also have quest for coin.

Blight ---- Anne Dryad 188 rating (Main character in Blight)
    Blight --- Annyia 100/61/6 Helian Dragon
    MissAna_Chaos Human in Blight Dedicated player since Beta!!!!!

When I was a true newbie, I offered to fill silos with T1 resources for people... and I got paid quite handsomely to do it. Saved them time, helped me level as a crafter, and got me quite a bit of silver as starting cash. Advertise on the marketplace channel and New Player channels.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Beginner gear is pretty easy to come across. Just ask! You'll increase your chances of not having to pay anything if you go through the trouble of collecting the necessary resources for the item you want to have made. Generally, however, if you make the person go out of their way to make your item, it's a good idea to give them a small tip, a few silver for higher tier items.

Making money... That is different. When you're starting out, do quests. Town marshall and trophy hunter quests are a good way to get bootstrapped. Loot everything you kill, sell everything that you can't use. As you get higher, you can make some coin selling tech comps, forms, t4 and t5 techs, trophies, lore tokens and of course, processed resources.

If you are going to be crafting, go for construction, be it biped or lairshaping. There is always coin there, as there are always plot owners who don't want to build their own structures.

1.) There's a LOT of cash in the 'economy'. (i.e., There is NO economy, so there's a lot of coin gathering dust from the old days that peeps will part with.) Hence some of the weird pricing. If you actually need an item, ask in channel.

If you're willing to run around and work for others hauling materials, that's a possibility. (Lairshaping *always* needs a ton of resources, especially T1.) You can always ask around for 'contracts' to make orbs/bricks/etc.

Once you get your craft levels up (I suggest maxxed), try out lairshaping. Nominal pricing I've seen is 1sp per unit per tier. I've cleaned one player out of a couple hundred sp helping build his lair (heh).

That's a few ways to shuffle the cash from player to player...

2.) Generating new cash from the game... Pawnbrokers are still top in my book.

Keep in mind we also don't have a population at the moment, so no flooding competiton

Pawnbrokers nerf their prices based on how much of a specific (item code) that gets dumped. Want to know how much has been dumped? Browse items. See what they're selling, that's what somebody has dumped so far.

And it's item specific. So, for instance, in Mahagra it's slate... You can flood the PB with slate slabs, then slate bricks, then slate spell shards. Once you've cleaned that PB out, port a full disk to any-other-city and do it all again...

And, of course, everything else that was mentioned Quests, trophies, etc.
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

I'll add my bit here; as a newbie I noted there was bog-all for me on the consigner, and yes, we all need new gear, spells, what have you. I asked about in channel, and a few people quite happily made me all my gear, spells and even teched some items and added crystals to it all for me so I didn't have to pay a pence out for anything. If you ask, people are quite helpful when it comes to new players - this isn't like other games where you just log in and play silently and struggle on.

The lairshaping thing will become more prevalent these days with more people returning and lairs returning to be worked on. Most people are high levels and can't be bothered to work on anything below T3, so T1 and T2 is where you make your cash.

Networking is very important in the lower levels - I note a lot of new players just don't talk to one another, diving in silently and going to task to try and level up as quickly as possible. Anyone who has played this game for an extended period of time knows it is not a "hurry hurry rush rush" sort of game, so rather than try and be one's own "Jack of all trades" it's wiser to try and get those people crafting next to you to talk and interact, find out what they do, and maybe trade your own services in exchange for their own. I'm guilty of the "head down and gather" syndrome myself and I've had to remind myself to take some time and have a look about if you know what I mean.

I've found I don't make a load of coin myself, but I certainly haven't needed to SPEND any money on anything, which is just as good; if people are helpful and willing to barter, there's no real need for loads of cash right at the start. It's just a matter of making connections.

I never needed to "head down and gather" even if at some point I was barely able to do the RoP but 100 craft. I just waited for people to ask me stuff made, would make such stuff getting exp in the process, then at the end of the day would go gather a new fill of materials levelling up gathering in the process. So sweet.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

This is probably one of the reasons for the PB Nerf in the first place.

Interesting fact: When a person is unable to sell to an NPC, they're more likely to sell to another player.

Even more interesting fact: A lack of players tends to drive prices up.
    I'm not sure why this occurs, except that it's something to do with supply and demand. With the remaining people demanding, and fewer people supplying, and even fewer people underselling to keep competition going, the prices will of course rise.

There're plenty of ways to make money, especially if you're creative. And isn't that what crafting's about? But, since you asked, I'll give a rundown of some options you might want to try.

1.) Quests: Many quests incorperate a coin reward for at least the first time around.
    2.) Lore Token Farming: Several crafting quests, even if they don't give exp, will give Lore Tokens, which can then be sold on consigner.
    3.) Pawnbroker Selling: You'll need to do a bit of jumping around, when you notice a drop in the return, but it's still a viable option. Personally, I try to use this as little as possible. I prefer selling to players, so the items can be used.
    4.) Making a Character store: Selling the items from your own inventory doesn't cost any money if you don't use the consigner. If you have the RL money for multiple congruent logins, create a mule character and park them in a busy area so they can be your own personal store. Though, to be honest, I've never done this so I'm not sure what it entails.
    5.) Sell with a Consigner: It's true that not as many players are buying. But those that do still tend to check consigners before they ask.
    6.) Tell a friend about Horizons: More people in the game will mean more people shopping, which means a more likely chance that the economy will come back to life, with ebbs and flows in prices and the like. New players mean new needs. The chances of this happening increases if the people coming choose not to take up a crafting school, or decide to only level one or very few crafting schools for as long as they play.
    7.) Hunt your own resources: Instead of gathering Kenaf from plants, slay some spiders and loot it from their corpses. You'll also find Tech resources and maybe even some coin, formulas, techs, or other items that people will be willing to pay for.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of at the moment. Keep in mind I've only got 2 levels of Mage, and 11 Levels of Blacksmith at the moment, haven't killed any critters, and have about 15s as of last login.

Interesting fact: When a person is unable to sell to an NPC, they're more likely to sell to another player.
    Believe it or not, I rarely sold to pawnbrokers and mostly to people. I made immense money (for the time) by selling spells and scales.
    But one day, every player became able to self craft everything, that day I quit playing as what I liked the most - selling - was not available any more.
    Horizons needs something to keep its "cycle" of needing stuff going, else it is due to stall at a certain point and the "economy" die.

Making a Character store: Selling the items from your own inventory doesn't cost any money if you don't use the consigner. If you have the RL money for multiple congruent logins, create a mule character and park them in a busy area so they can be your own personal store. Though, to be honest, I've never done this so I'm not sure what it entails.
    I have done it, it's very time consuming though. I had people starting asking me questions so I could not really keep playing on the other box, as I'd die to named mobs roaming about.

nice replies.

Perhaps some had better luck than I selling to other players. But after people started leaving before the merger it was extremely hard for a biped to sell anything. Remember this is a market where equipment does not leave the economy. Teched gear simply does not get sold it gets put into guild storage and handed down. I know this is fact its what my guild used to do all the time. That made biped sales extremely flat even now this is the case. Now for a dragon I would imagine the sales to other players to be rather easy. Why ? everyone and their little cousin tommy has a dragon and every one of those dragons need teched scales and spells. Even now I see 4 or 5 dragons to every one biped so I think this trend will continue. Would be nice to see if Vitrium can do something to revitalize a very dead biped game .

I still remember back in early 2004. I was able to sell my wares to a very active adventure community. Consigner sales were always good and custom orders where always sought after. HZ really shines under a player economy that is purring along. It really stagnants when that economy dies.

So then I got in the habit of selling to the PB because that was the ONLY way to make coin. That and working on building up plots. But even then I found that guildmates worked on plots for free so that was hard as well. This of course coming from a higher level player. I would imagine the T1 2 and 3 plot building market to be somewhat profitable. I also liked the idea about offering to fill silos with lower level materials .

nice replies.

Even now I see 4 or 5 dragons to every one biped so I think this trend will continue. Would be nice to see if Vitrium can do something to revitalize a very dead biped game .

Sorry for a slight sidetrack to this thread.

I do not know where you got your figures, but there are a LOT of Bipeds in this game. I personally have 4 Bipeds characters to my 1 Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    Sorry for a slight sidetrack to this thread.

I do not know where you got your figures, but there are a LOT of Bipeds in this game. I personally have 4 Bipeds characters to my 1 Dragon.
    last night on Chaos. New trismus featured myself and I saw 9 hatchies. Silly scaled beasts decided that scratching up all the stone and metal was the way to go

that is kind of good. But I'm thinking the gods are discriminating against anything with less than 4 legs ...

that is kind of good. But I'm thinking the gods are discriminating against anything with less than 4 legs ...
    As nature intended.

Think about it. How many 2 legged bipedal animals are there? Not many. How many 4 legged? Quite a few. How many 6 legged? Mountain loads. Clearly more legs is better. So really it is only a matter of time before arachnids rule the world.

Though... if Terry Pratchett is to be believed, the *** of Evolution favours cockroaches above all other creatures.

EDIT: 0_o hehehe, apparently g-o-d is blocked out, but g-o-d-s isn't. Odd.

Thread Information