Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paypal for dummies

Default Paypal for dummies

I noticed there's quite some confusion about this new form of payment, about how to sign up, why, how, why to click here or there.

I will take the total dummy approach, that is create a Paypal account from zero and only then fire up Horizons and pay with everything Paypal already set up.

While it's not the quickest route (the "experts knowing how to pay on the fly" of course don't need this long way and can skip the whole thread) it should work for you. Moreover, doing how I say, you learn about the Paypal screens that you can use later, to customize whatever or to "validate" your account.

Basically imagine Paypal as a place where your credit card number is stored and protected with it's own log in, independent of Horizons log in.

Every merchant willing to use this service, sets up a link between his site and Paypal. So you select the product on the merchant (Horizons / Vi) site, are sent to Paypal, where you'll log in to your credit card and press a "pay" button. That's all.

Before you start, make sure you did not have created some broken account with who knows what options. *If* you had no account and tried and got some weird stuff up, follow the link "Close account" and totally remove everything (beware, this deletes your history etc, so only those who played with the account should close it, the old Paypal customers must not do this step).

Now, the complete procedure. It's long but it should cover it well enough to make it a "dumb procedure". It is made to be closely executed, I know it can be done in simpler / quicker ways, but this thread is for the total Paypal newbies.

Close every and all the browser windows.

Open a browser window, possibly Internet Explorer, then enter:

https://www.paypal.com/

Press Sign up now! in the center of the screen.

Then press "For Online Shoppers"

Among the other things it says:
    "You can also accept bank account or PayPal balance-funded payments for free and a limited number of credit or debit card payments per year for low fees."

That is, you _can_ add your bank account, but you are not _required_ to do so. In fact I did not.

Then a form will appear, you have just to stuff in your name, town etc.
    Submit the form, a success screen will tell you that they sent you an activation email (like new user forums registrations do).

Open the email, which will be from [email protected]

(do NOT EVER open *other* mails that are forged to look like coming from them and most of all NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER give them password or CC number or you will lose ALL your money). Expecially mails about "account disabled / account issues" asking for you to press some fake Paypal button. They will bring you to a not secure site in some odd country (i.e. paypal.scam.cn) and you insert your password and they record it to intrude in your real account.

Press "Click here to activate your account"

A page asking for your password will show.
    Quadruple check that it has an URL starting with:

https://www.paypal.com/blah/blah

and enter your password.

An "Email Confirmed" screen will appear. You may skip the "verification" stuff for now, press "Skip".

Skip the possible "added value service" ads, ie mobile account etc, pressing "Go to my account".

A pretty complicate page will show up, all you have to do is to ignore it (!) and press "Add credit card" to the left. It works like Horizons, where you can add and remove subs, just applied to credit cards.

Another form will show up, just fill in with your CC information and press "Add card" when done.

Now you should be basically set up to pay with Paypal for Horizons or whatever other service you want that supports this payment system (a lot do).

Close the browser or log out (link at the top of the screen).

Later on, with more experience (or if you need to pay a big subscription), you can become "verified".
    The verification process, when I did it some years ago, consisted of a "test" involving Paypal withdrawing 1 USD (and putting it back iirc) just to see that your credit card works.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now that you are done with Paypal, go to:

https://accounts.istaria.com/

and log in there (or create a new account).

Then choose your wanted subscription off the pull down box to the right, i.e.
    "Grandfathered Subscription 1 Month".

Then press the nearby "Order" button.

At this point... TA DA! You are staring at Paypal.

It should say something like:

"Enter Payment Information
    PayPal securely processes payments for your merchant, Virtrium LLC. To continue, please enter the required information below. Learn more about PayPal."

Insert the email address you previously registered the Paypal account with and the password, then press "Log in".

Ignore the "Don't have paypal account" link, since you indeed have the Paypal account".

Now, a final confirmation screen will appear, a resume of what and how much you are paying and to whom.

Press "Pay", and a thank you screen should appear. You are basically done, follow the instructions if any (depending on seller, you might be done or can return to their site in automatic, just read what it says).

If something fails or you cancel the payment, you'll be brought back to the Horizons site and asked to try again.

Hope all of this mess of mine helps.

Yours hoard by Paypal truly,
    Vahrokh Vain
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Smile Re: Paypal for dummies

....applause....

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Default Re: Paypal for dummies

Just to clarify you dont need to create a paypal account to play the game. You can simply choose to pay Virtriums paypal account with your CC.. very simple system

Signing up for a PayPal account will be required to complete this purchase.

Not only that.. they want to charge me $1.50 right off the bat.. then wait 3-4 days for some number to show up on my credit card statement.. in order to complete my purchase. What the heck is all that? And why does it sound so.. fishy...????!!!!

I have 3 accounts I want to reactivate here because they all have plots or lairs on them. So.. how am I supposed to do this and KNOW that it's really been done? I don't see anything that gives me any kind of confidence from Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmyn View Post

Not only that.. they want to charge me $1.50 right off the bat.. then wait 3-4 days for some number to show up on my credit card statement.. in order to complete my purchase. What the heck is all that? And why does it sound so.. fishy...????!!!!
    That is how Paypal verifies that your credit card address is your shipping address. This way someone can't steal your credit card and sign up for an account in your name and put their own address in. It is a security feature, and a pretty good one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    That is how Paypal verifies that your credit card address is your shipping address. This way someone can't steal your credit card and sign up for an account in your name and put their own address in. It is a security feature, and a pretty good one at that.

No matter which way I go with this, it's going to take DAYS just to make paypal happy. I will officially state that I HATE this system. I have limited time to bother with these games as it is.. nevermind wasting this much time trying to figure out how to give them my money. It's a bother. Maybe I'll remember to check it, maybe I wont.

I'm sorry I happened to notice that Tulga had it back. NOW the kids want to play THIS one again. Personally, I think it's still too laggy, and WAY too overpriced. $14.95/month for such limited features in a game that lags and locks up all the time? Heh, I don't think it's a very good deal. For the same price they can have an unlimited number of character slots in WoW. Oh well, hopefully the kids will tire of it again .. and quickly.

You do know that you can check the "don't have a paypal account" option when subscribing and not have to go through the whole verification process, right? The directions above are if you want to create a more secure, verified paypal account. You can have one created automatically if you use your credit card to resubscribe.

And if you have a subscription already, it's only $12.95. And if your kids don't want to own their own plot, then you can pay just $9.95. That might be the best option for you for a while to see if they still enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmeen View Post
    You do know that you can check the "don't have a paypal account" option when subscribing and not have to go through the whole verification process, right? The directions above are if you want to create a more secure, verified paypal account. You can have one created automatically if you use your credit card to resubscribe.

And if you have a subscription already, it's only $12.95. And if your kids don't want to own their own plot, then you can pay just $9.95. That might be the best option for you for a while to see if they still enjoy the game.

Tried that, it didn't work. If you check the top of the form, it says you MUST have a paypal account.

Please check the image I attached with. After having chosen the type of subscription you wish to have here, you'll get this page from paypal. I live in France so it's in french, but the link I circled in red means "you don't have a paypal account ? Use your Credit card or bank account (?)".
    If you wish to pay with your CC then click on that link. That's it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zexoin; September 8th, 2007 at 04:26 PM. Reason: grammar

And Zex gets the prize Thanks for the image Zex.. Not sure why people are so combative when you are trying to help them Guys I wasnt lying to you. At no point in the paypal process do you HAVE to create a paypal account. I've done many paypal transactions (purchases) and I still don't need an account.

Personally I think peopel are so wound up looking for a reason to not have to pay for the game they arent seeing the forest for the trees.

READ THE SCREEN - especially when you are making an online purchase. It tells you in very plain english (and every other language if you arent english speaking you can get paypal to display in most other languages) exactly how to process a payment if you DONT have an account.

Sheesh. Drama much?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Please check the image I attached with. After having chosen the type of subscription you wish to have here, you'll get this page from paypal. I live in France so it's in french, but the link I circled in red means "you don't have a paypal account ? Use your Credit card or bank account (?)".
    If you wish to pay with your CC then click on that link. That's it.
    That's French! I can't read French! Dammit Zexoin I'm Canadian not... some country that has French as an official language. Darned it. Talked myself into a corner there:P.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    That's French! I can't read French! Dammit Zexoin I'm Canadian not... some country that has French as an official language. Darned it. Talked myself into a corner there:P.
    *falls about laughing*

And Jazmyn, I think Spartikus is sooooo right when he says

Quote Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
    READ THE SCREEN - especially when you are making an online purchase. It tells you in very plain english (and every other language if you arent english speaking you can get paypal to display in most other languages) exactly how to process a payment if you DONT have an account.
    So please try to do so before being so aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    *falls about laughing*

And Jazmyn, I think Spartikus is sooooo right when he says

So please try to do so before being so aggressive.
    I did. It still led me to paypal for processing. Unless I am misunderstanding yet again, which wouldnt surprise me!

Okay, this is what I get

Billing Information

indicates required fields
    Subscription ToTermsAmountGrandfather Subscription - 1 Month
    $12.95 USD for each month$12.95 USD
    Select Payment Type

Pay fast with PayPal. It's free and private. Learn more
    Email:
    Password:

No PayPal account? Use your credit card or bank account (where available).

I DID select the "No PayPal account" option. Now MAYBE the (where available) applies to me, and it's just not available to me. Yes, I CAN read! When I continue with this screen, it STILL makes me open a Paypal account, and then wait for the validation process on my CC. I also get an option to pay with an electronic transfer. Also requires account AND validation time.
    Last edited by Jazmyn; September 9th, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Highlight points and remove "forgot password?" link

Yep, I chose credit card, and when completed in filling out all the info, it led me directly to paypal account and its creation or putting in existing pay pal account.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    Yep, I chose credit card, and when completed in filling out all the info, it led me directly to paypal account and its creation or putting in existing pay pal account.

Thanks Peaches, I was starting to think I was the ONLY one who was getting this. Maybe it only works in France?

Where I messed up, is I put in my credit card to create the pay pal account. Sadly, my hubby had one and I didnt KNOW that it is only one account per family. By putting in the same credit card, it froze hubbies account up solid. Had to cancel my newly created one, wait for the cancellation from the bank with the code for hubby to put in. As soon as that was done, he added me to his account and it went peachy from there.

Yeah, I saw what you said in the original billing thread (which is a closed thread so I can't ask my questions there). I don't like the idea of using paypal myself.

If I resubscribe it would have to be for 3 users to be able to log in (otherwise someone screams 'unfair') which I think means they have to consolidate the usernames first. I dunno if it's worth all this trouble and the hassle of messing with paypal to pay $40 - $45/month for it (sigh).

I think we're just going to have to let this game go.

Ahh, I did get everything straightened out. I hope you reconsider though!

When I click on the link I mentionned above I must select again the type of payment I wish to have, then enter my cc number, and coords. I can't go to the next step tho, because I use a paypal account.
    Can be different for you since you live in NA, that I can't know. please take screenies to show what kind of message you get (and don't forget to remove passwords and so on).

To explain shortly : when you open a paypal account, it requires to pay $1.50, for the reason said above. But you can use these $1.50 to pay your sub, because it goes on your paypal account, and not in paypal owners hands. Will take a few days to get the validating number.
    I also use Paypal to pay what I buy on eBay, and it's very useful.

Thread Information