Thread: Problems with Vista

Default Problems with Vista

I've been trying to log into Horizons for about 12 hours, so far, and I'm at my wit's end. The program was running fine, last night. And apparently stopped being compatible with the computer after Windows Vista downloaded and installed an update. I've tried a few things, but I wouldn't mind some suggestions on how I can get the game running again.

For those who want to know, the patcher runs fine. As soon as the Horizons.exe file engages, I get an error that (according to the details listed in the error box) originates from a file called kernel32.dll

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Problems with Vista

You might read of several threads about this issue, including 2-3 posts below this.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

ok so i was able to play with no problems using the fix provided in the forums. well up untill today that is. now i cant find the entry point i checked my files and it is still there (the vista fix) but to be sure i redid the fix and still nothing i am reciving this error now "the procedure entry point_ftol2_sse could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll." now i have already spent about 180.00 dollers on the phone with [MS] tech support and thats just for this fix grand total what i have spent between the first fix and this fix i dotn even want to think about i would just buy a copy of xp from them unfortunantly xp cant run some of the hardware on my pc. i know this because me and the [MS] tech guy already wint through my specs. to see if xp would run it and it wont. i really love this game in fact i only bought this pc to play the game. yes thats right i spent 2500 on a pc just to play horizons call me lame i dont care this game rocks. i even restarted an account because the support team couldnt find my orig acount. and i was ok with it and pushed forward. but i just cant spend any more money on tech guys. i just cant afford it let alone buying a new pc again that has or can run xp just to play this game if i could i would. so if any one knows for sure of a way to get passed this error please post it. if i receave word back from [MS] or the horizons support team i will post the fix myself.

You'd have saved on 180 dollars to MS if you just read the forums.

Let me type it in an easily understandable way:

HORIZONS WON'T RUN ON VISTA

that is, it's not compatible (yet).

The fact that several players, including me, manage to make it work with a dozen of hairy workarounds is because we are "hackers" but by default consider the game not Vista compatible until they recompile the client not to use some "extensions" that Vista did not inherit from Windows XP.

The fix per se is not hard to do, but setting up a working programming environment and reviewing the code so that it won't call out some of those functions will take some time.

How much time, is not my call to say, but Vi's.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

Are you for certain that your PC won't run XP? I did not realize there were Vista systems only

Perhaps you can install a dual boot Vista/XP to see if it is possible to run XP?

Are you for certain that your PC won't run XP? I did not realize there were Vista systems only
    Newest hardware might only come with Vista drivers.
    Laptops with pre-installed Vista usually don't even try being backward compatible as well.

um i have been running fine with vista for about 3 mounths now and because i spent the first chunk of money on [MS] i could restart and shut down and do what ever i wanted and was still able start horizons no problem. this problem just started today.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

creme - i had to get new peripherals to go with my new vista machine, and those will not run on xp. vista is also not too keen on sharing, and dual boots can get.......interesting, especially for noobs.....

everyone else - you can get horizons to run briefly. i got in twice by following the advice on the forums. but i haven't been able to get back in (to be fair, ann sez that she can get back in after a great deal of restarts and such - i haven't tried again, so i may be able to luck into a login again).
    so until there is a fix on the game end, there is no horizons for vista users.

my advice - download the game installer and keep the game on your system. that way, all you will need is the patch (hopefully).........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Red face Re: Problems with Vista

i know that this dont work for everyone but if u read the posts there might be something that you havent done or tried. sorry for the trouble.

i also had to download all my new drivers and some downloads for windows yesterday but i am still in today after the normal restart for the installs and another restart for hz im logged into blight at this very moment.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16292

check out this and see what u can do. hope it helps.

Blight ---- Anne Dryad 188 rating (Main character in Blight)
    Blight --- Annyia 100/61/6 Helian Dragon
    MissAna_Chaos Human in Blight Dedicated player since Beta!!!!!

The fact is that, despite the link talks about "consistently" run with Vista, it's not true.

Sometimes you just start it and it'll go fine. Other times you have to start the executable, get the "run from web site" message and then it'll run. But most of the times it just crashes and then you have to reboot and, in case of complex installation, wait for several minutes before you can try again. Rinse and repeat for a dozen times.

I would not call this "consistently".

Yes, can't run it on Vista. I guess that means game over.

Hopefully this is a fix that will go in before plot reclaiming.

Yes, can't run it on Vista. I guess that means game over
    It's a DLL call into an old MMX function, not something involving demolishing the Great Chinese Wall and rebuilding it from scratch.
    Give them a rest, it's not like they are scratching their cats bellies at the moment.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    It's a DLL call into an old MMX function, not something involving demolishing the Great Chinese Wall and rebuilding it from scratch.
    Give them a rest, it's not like they are scratching their cats bellies at the moment.
    we know that vah, just like we know you know its very frustrating to want to play and want to give the devs money and not be able to.

we are waiting patiently, once the sitrap is made clear. hopefully, the recent past with vi and its comm skillz, tptb will let us know soon as they can the status of any fix being contemplated.

so let us have our little rant, and we will settle down and be quiet before you know it!

Cool Re: Problems with Vista

The fact is that, despite the link talks about "consistently" run with Vista, it's not true.

Sometimes you just start it and it'll go fine. Other times you have to start the executable, get the "run from web site" message and then it'll run. But most of the times it just crashes and then you have to reboot and, in case of complex installation, wait for several minutes before you can try again. Rinse and repeat for a dozen times.

I would not call this "consistently".
    No, "'consistently' run with vista" may not be the best title BUT i am able to get into game with my vista laptop everyday with jus a few restarts if the computer had to be restarted for any reason. i dont have a crashes and sorry for those that do.

Other times you have to start the executable, get the "run from web site" message and then it'll run.
    i do this check each and every time i have to restart my computer so i know that it runs. once i do this it will run anytime i want to get into game until i have to restart. i know of others playing game with a vista machine and i know others that r not able to play, no matter what they try. IN FACT i know a few with an XP machine that cant play either because of troubles with the game. its not perfect and neither r the programmers but we r all trying together to make this work.

AND since ur in here posting then either u dont have a machine with vista on it and want to complain OR you have tried all the suggestions and r still having troubles which i am sincerely sorry for.

Those of us on vista r happy for what time we can get into game EVEN if for only today and then not for awhile. At least someone is trying and i am very sure it is helping those working on this issue at VI. if not for the threads here on the forums i would still be sitting, and i'm not, im playing game on my vista.

Blight ---- Anne Dryad 188 rating (Main character in Blight)
    Blight --- Annyia 100/61/6 Helian Dragon
    MissAna_Chaos Human in Blight Dedicated player since Beta!!!!!

AND since ur in here posting then either u dont have a machine with vista on it and want to complain OR you have tried all the suggestions and r still having troubles which i am sincerely sorry for.
    I have Vista (Ultimate) nor I have more troubles than posted around (ie having to reboot some times).

I just want to point out that while having workarounds is very good, expectations should not grow to the point to expect that it works consistently, which the other thread sort of "implies".

If me or you read such docs, we understand that having to reboot ie 5 times to make a non compatible game work is quite an achievement.

But these forums are read by non tech learned people, their understanding of "consistent" is simplicistic. They would read that post and think it's the fix. And seeing it does not work they give up instead of getting the message that they should try harder with the reboots or wait for a patch.

If it makes you feel any better (it wont' I know), I'm having the same issue, starting on Sept 5th. Was working just fine (well, was working...) but now get the entry point_ftol2_sse error when HZ starts. I'm going to try reinstalling, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I've run out of ideas...

bolt

Here's hoping it does work. I know it didn't work for me. I've reinstalled on this computer 3 times, and even restored the computer back to a date when it was working. My brother in law's a bit bummed, because I'd intended on walking him through a character creation before I had to leave. Ah, well. It's not like he's made an account and can't use his trial, or anything. I'll be watching the forums and will contact him if/when a Vista patch comes out that'll allow the program to run on it.

well, after only two restarts, i was able to log back into blight!!
    at least i know that i can get back in, just have to work at it a bit, so i guess i will be signing up for the grandfathered year...........

please do not take this to mean that i can wait on a permenant fix, tho.....please make this a top priority, once you have the billing thing taken care of.......

Generally, what I say when people say "Problems with Vista" ... and I know this might not be too kind of a thing to say, but eh.. I can't help it...

1). Uninstall Vista.
    2). Install WindowsXP.
    3). ???
    4). Profit.

Kinda sucks for the people with new-new hardware that do not have any drivers written for WindowsXP....

Thread Information