Thread: Hmmm. Decision Time.

Default Hmmm. Decision Time.

I dunno, this might be better posted in Dragon forums, but I think I would get better/quicker responses here, so in General it goes!

I am a Lunus Dragon specializing in Melee Combat, and am currently making a new set of scales. I am a Lv100 DCRA, Lv54 DRAG.

My question is, which would be better?

Lv80 Strength Scales with +Armor, +Tooth and Claw, +Dexterity
    Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Dexterity
    Lv80 Dexterity Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Armor
    Lv80 Health Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Armor (or Dex?)

I am currently doing Strength Scales with +Armor, +T&C, +Dexterity because it is what I could find Expert Forms for, First.

However, when I get closer to Level 80 and Level 90, I am probably going to want to redo my scales (I am putting T3 techs on them right now, as T4 and T5 are too expensive and hard-to-get for me currently, not to mention, the only T5 Tech I have scribed is T&C).

Which should I get? Or is there a combination that works better than the combos I list above?

Also, suggestions for what I should put on my weapons would be much appreciated too.

Default Re: Hmmm. Decision Time.

I'm partial to killing first and asking questions later, so T&C+Str+Dex for me. That isn't necessarily the best combo, but I like killing things. Fast.

Avoid Dexterity; it doesn't really work for us. Too bloody easy to hit something the size of a barn, I guess.

Instead, take your "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Dexterity" and change it to "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +???," where +??? is a resistance targeted toward your most common prey.

As an example, a very large percentage of the damage dealt by non-WA mobs is Crush damage, so a set of "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Crush Resistance" would probably be a good idea for a first set. If you prefer terrorizing the WA, replace "+Crush Resistance" with "+Blight Resistance," and so forth.

Also: load the wing scales with +Speed and +Velocity. You won't regret it.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course, but I hope it helps.

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

Hmm, to put STR/DEX/T&C on a scale, means it would have to be Armor, or Health.

If you wanted to kill faster, though, wouldn't you make it a Strength Scale, and put DEX/T&C as Techs? Strength Scale gives more than Strength Tech, doesn't it? Lv80 scales have +50 STR, Strength V is what, 25 or 30?

Quote Originally Posted by Hasai View Post
    Avoid Dexterity; it doesn't really work for us. Too bloody easy to hit something the size of a barn, I guess.

Instead, take your "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Dexterity" and change it to "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +???," where +??? is a resistance targeted toward your most common prey.

As an example, a very large percentage of the damage dealt by non-WA mobs is Crush damage, so a set of "Lv80 Armor Scales with +Tooth and Claw, +Strength, +Crush Resistance" would probably be a good idea for a first set. If you prefer terrorizing the WA, replace "+Crush Resistance" with "+Blight Resistance," and so forth.

Also: load the wing scales with +Speed and +Velocity. You won't regret it.

All of the above is just my opinion, of course, but I hope it helps.

Hmm, for Wing Scales, I'd probably use a set that I would travel with, travel to the hunting grounds, and switch the scales for my Battle Scales...

As far as resists... that would mean me making several sets of scales as some mobs do piercing, some do blunt, some do slash, there are blight mobs.... dang, that would make at least 4 sets of scales right there. I just don't have the financial ability to support gathering tech comps for all of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    ....If you wanted to kill faster, though, wouldn't you make it a Strength Scale, and put DEX/T&C as Techs? Strength Scale gives more than Strength Tech, doesn't it? Lv80 scales have +50 STR, Strength V is what, 25 or 30?
    If you only do one-on-one work, you would be 100% correct. If you ever get adds, however, take into consideration that all that strength can be focused on only one mob at a time. Meanwhile, all those other baddies are tearing you up on the flanks. You tend to run out of HP very quickly that way....

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

It depends a bit on your fighting style. Yes, you do melee, however, you either go for maximum damage and hope you can take the mob out before it kills you, or you go for maximum armor and take your time with the killing. Different mobs require different strategies.

I use armor scales for adventuring and use buffs and crystals to increase the other stats. I'm not exceptionally good at any one fighting style build-wise, although I feel "good enough" all around.

In general, though, I can make the following suggestions:
    Put nothing but sockets on your claw.
    Have at least 2 armor sockets.
    Don't forget potions and buffs.
    Your technique (and ability to switch techniques) is more important than a couple dozen stat points.

My commonly used fighting style is just to kill opponents before they can kill me. Tried using armour scales with str tech but that failed to fit my fancy, so I always use strength scales with armour tech and perhaps a strength tech on it as well. Wings have the usual speed techs, and I try to stick a socket in armour where possible.

downside is I am poor for groups. I was bad at them in the first place, so this fits my style.

Its just personal preference though.

I hope you aren't avoiding dexterity completely. Dexterity is one of the main components in the %chance to hit a mob (along with, to a lesser extent, T&C). If you have low dexterity, you will miss with your gold rage every time:P. Because of this Dex is very important to your damage over time even it doesn't affect the amount of damage you do per successful strike.

I can't check due to my server being a bit... dead at the moment, but I recall having several sets. The "general" set would be armor + str T&C etc, with 2 swappable scales with speed and flight speed to switch with "pure" scales.

As for the "kill speed", you are a dragon (!), so you have: AoE spells and limited healing. So armor would again help you because AoEing will get you damaged fast and you still only have limited healing. For the "oh crap" situations you will need hoard based skills anyway, they hit hard enough even without having a "berserker" set.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I can't check due to my server being a bit... dead at the moment, but I recall having several sets. The "general" set would be armor + str T&C etc, with 2 swappable scales with speed and flight speed to switch with "pure" scales.

As for the "kill speed", you are a dragon (!), so you have: AoE spells and limited healing. So armor would again help you because AoEing will get you damaged fast and you still only have limited healing. For the "oh crap" situations you will need hoard based skills anyway, they hit hard enough even without having a "berserker" set.
    Dragons like me use the "oh crap" skills on a regular basis, mind you. I'm one of those ones who throw gold rages around like they are candy, tearing up mobs in just a few seconds. Of course, this means that I have to stop adventuring every now and then, and go out and build hoard up, but the kills are much faster, and I spend less time gaining experience.

And I agree with Gopher above; I was not putting +dexterity on my scales because I wanted to increase my dodge changes, nay, I put +dexterity on my scales because misses are costly with the way I fight. Nothing worse than blowing a couple hundred hoard on a gold rage, only to whiff two of the three strikes. Not to mention, the kind of trouble I'm in, when I do whiff a gold rage... that's when I start scrambling for my Refreshing Breeze, Instant Heal, or Sprint.

This kind of setup allows me to solo Named Mobs that are above my level, even. I took out that pig, I forget his name, that is required for the Brandon's Shelf attunement (I think that's Brandon's Shelf attunement he's for, he's found right near Brandon's Shelf, his name starts with an H I think) when I was 6 levels under his level.

That's a Named Mob....a Named Gruok.... that was 6 levels over me. And I was a hatchling at the time, too. And I solo'd him. Without wearing Lv80 scales, my crafting at the time was only in the 40s.

I'd stay away from Health Scales unless you have some specific goal in mind for them. I haven't tried them yet on my dragon, but I used health jewlery and health techs on my armor for my biped and I wish I hadn't. Many of those mobs can take down your health so quickly that even an extra thousand only allows you to survive 1 extra hit. The only way to kill such mobs is either to stun them to death (blah) or to output one heck of a lot of damage.

I Personally use a set of Armor+T&C+Str+Primal as i prefer the armor by far over anything for a base. I like primal because many of our abilities and spells benefit immensely from it (not just for casters..our heals,breaths and some others too). I have a second set that is Armor with T&C+power+Primal for some situations (some mobs just resist my melee pretty well and i found primal damage hammers them). another thing to also try is blighted claws that change damage types. these can make your 275 per strike GR do 800 per strike.

I used to used some Dexterity but without really adding it to all it seemed to make minute difference for me. Also dont forget to pick up a Primal vengeance chest scale! if your on chaos and need one ask me i have some made/vaulted.

to be honest I always used AC sets with T&C, Strengh and Dex and never felt sorry about it Had some very nice crystals in my armor scales that helped getting my health up.

Thread Information