Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Response to MMORPG Question About Unity

Default Response to MMORPG Question About Unity

From the MMORPG Interview:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...1448/gameID/17

MMORPG: What about the Unity Server? What are you doing for the European players?

Rick Simmons: We haven't forgotten about Unity players. There should be no doubt that we would like to see Unity players brought over. Three points: From a business perspective, what company wouldn't want to bring in many passionate, dedicated customers who are likely to sign up as long term subscribers? We'd love to have those customers. From a game perspective, Unity players are passionate. It's been a while, but they still haven't given up - some of the players have even posted YouTube? videos from Unity days - that's awesome. We'd love to have that intensity and vibrant energy become part of the Order or Chaos shards. From a technical perspective, the process of moving the characters over is similar to a character move, but there's some database issues related to character data and account mappings, and how we transfer those characters over properly.

Bringing over the Unity characters is not a simple thing to do. Like most things of this importance, it's a very serious job that must be done pretty close to perfect. I can only imagine the fallout that would occur if we brought the Unity characters over, but mapped them to the wrong accounts or lost data because of some differences in the way plots are associated to accounts in the Unity database. Even worse, if we put an Ancient Dragon head on top of a petite female Fiend - let's just say we understand the gravity of our work. If we're going to do this, we need to do it right. That will take time while we figure out the best approach (or approaches) and put together a solid plan. When we know what we're going to do and how we're going to do it, we'll be able to talk with players about moving Unity characters to a new home.

Default Re: Response to MMORPG Question About Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Horizons CS View Post
    Even worse, if we put an Ancient Dragon head on top of a petite female Fiend
    that would be almost unbearably sexy. go for it

;p

Its nice to see that Mr. Simmons has a good sense of humor! *grins*

But yeah, I know that Unity players have been itching to play for a long time, but he does have a point, some things are better waiting for. Look on the bright side, Unity: When you DO come back, the game you will come back to will be vastly better than the one you left, right?

From what I understand, and ready, Unity was... many deltas behind the other two servers, was it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    From what I understand, and ready, Unity was... many deltas behind the other two servers, was it not?
    From what I read it was more of an issue with making the account character data mesh with either Chaos or Order. The difference in deltas shouldn't matter, it just takes time to sort out any inconsistencies and ensure cranial-torsodal data integrity.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Now, the good side is that it looks like we WILL be saved (and this makes me very happy). The bad side is that this interview tone (including what said in the questions before this answer) looks like that there's a fairly long list of things with higher priority, and even then, the import process will be pretty long. Makes me wonder if 6 months will be enough.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Just checked with the boss for a time-line and he says, "if there is a bunch of Unity players out there who are ready to sign up if they can have their characters back - and I think there are - making a new home for them is an important thing to do. We're going to make it happen as soon as possible - I just don't want to make a mistake that brings in a 1000 EU players and sees 999 of them leave because we borked the job. That would be a whole lot of wasted effort and really - wasted potential for Horizons."

Horizons CS

Just checked with the boss for a time-line and he says, "if there is a bunch of Unity players out there who are ready to sign up if they can have their characters back - and I think there are - making a new home for them is an important thing to do. We're going to make it happen as soon as possible - I just don't want to make a mistake that brings in a 1000 EU players and sees 999 of them leave because we borked the job. That would be a whole lot of wasted effort and really - wasted potential for Horizons." (underlining by me)

Horizons CS
    Can we have a more clear and precise definition of what Virtrium understands under 'get character back' and 'make them a new home' please?

As in:
    - Character with all assets (vault, inventory, plot and all on it)?
    - Character with some assets (all minus plot) and new comparable plots/island/community-base being made for Unity players on US-shards?
    - Character with some assets, and from there on the player is on his own to try to build back to what he once had?
    - Character without any more assets then the clothes he wears and maybe inventory and vault, and no comparable plots being made on the US-servers; but this before the first coming plotreclamation?
    - Same as last one, but áfter plot-reclamation?

All these questions are very important for unity-players. So more clearness (as soon as this is possible) as to what exactly is being meant would be greatly appreciated.

And of course, the fact that anything at all is happening is very nice; even if it is just and only characters, this will be nice for at least that part of Unity-players that will find this to be enough to get them happily back in game again (which is the smallest part if the poll that was made is a correct indicator).
    Of course hoping though that Virtrium will be including as much as possible into that definition.

"if there is a bunch of Unity players out there who are ready to sign up if they can have their characters back - and I think there are - making a new home for them is an important thing to do.
    I have already signed up.

I want to bet on my money once again and believe on someone else's words even if often it ends up with a face smack into a wall.

But hey, how many times in my life I had the opportunity to play something like Horizons? Never. When will I have the opportunity again if Horizons dies? Never.
    For the pittance it costs a year sub, I can as well try risking and support it.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

i don,t see how the dev,s could bring back our plots....mine is currently built on in Choas and i can,t see any/many guild plots over 25x25 free,also have to join guild i assume that owns that land.
    but knowing what is likly to happen would be most useful to making a descion on joining a guild now.
    on a personal note i have bought 2 grandfathers (1year)as i thought it unlikley i would get my old char,s back,but in the light it now looks possible is it possible to upgrade 1 of my accounts to the higher one (ie add the difference)as i don,t want to loose some of my old char,or have to delete my new current one to get access to the old one`s?

but that said it is good news that some priority is being given to bringing something of our old Char,s to unity

as for brininging a large no. back to the game i think a fair few allready have started new char,s on existing severs.me included.
    but i think there is a growing interest from old players and public interviews like the mmorpg one will help
    All alone in the dark

Chaos..Morrtoc
    Unity..Brainbasher(MorrBasher on Chaos)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    I have already signed up.

I want to bet on my money once again and believe on someone else's words even if often it ends up with a face smack into a wall.

But hey, how many times in my life I had the opportunity to play something like Horizons? Never. When will I have the opportunity again if Horizons dies? Never.
    For the pittance it costs a year sub, I can as well try risking and support it.

i'm with you, vah. as we all prolly know by now ( ), i am a vista user. at the risk of sounding rude, at least you guys on unity are getting comm about possible solutions to your problem. no mention yet about a fix for vista users!! but knowing that to survive, vi will HAVE to come up with a vista fix, played a small part in my resubbing.
    but the major - indeed, 98% at least - of my decision was made when vi brought back blight. i was gone and just a ghost haunting the forums. i wasn't coming back, i had accepted that i was never even gonna look for a new game, because obviously my karma is sooo bad, that i must be punished to the limit......
    but miracles do happen and blight was reborn. my cyanical old heart was suddenly flooded with hope and youth. its a struggle, but i can sometimes even take a tour of the evil place, or go make granite tools to level in blacksmith, or just hang out and talk with my family of blighties. even if i can't get back in today, i have hopes that i might tomorrow. and if i can't tomorrow, i know that someday, soon, i will be able to, one way or another.

so i counted the cost of a years grandfather subscript an entirely equitable trade for the hours of fun i had when i didn't know i was playing for free, and for the hours of fun i anticipate.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I think bringing back plots/lairs intact is unlikely, but i think is quite possible for them to give you 100% novians for the plot you had so you can rebuild on your existing plot of non unity char or on a new plot after a plot reclamation.

speaking from a speculative point of view here, if the data base is or is anything like a SQL based database then transferring the data should not be a hugely difficult task I'd think (1-2 hours per char if done manually)

the real issues with transfers would be putting error checking and correction in an automated process, fitting into order/chaos databases without overwriting anything, and making sure char ends up on right account.

its the overwriting issue that would most likely prevent intact plot transfers (i.e someone else already has that plot) the rest is most likely copying data and assigning new ids (unless they use uuids)

I do not mind to wait longer- I even did not expect that it could work fast.
    And I appreciate the carefulness Rick is going to accord to the project UNITY.

But *sigh* I´m not in the know anymore :

What did you sub, Vah- what are you paying for? A new char on Chaos I assume.
    Unitarians on Chaos do not have to pay yet? (this is what my friend says).
    If I manage to bring my Chaos hatchie back- do I have to pay?
    Don`t get me wrong: I WANT to pay- for me and others but...

What is, if we get our chars back and do not want to give up our ("new") Chaos/Order char?.
    Shall I be able to pay for so many different accounts on diff shards with only one credit card?

Is the sub- voucher the key to everything?

Sorry for asking all that. I`m sure the answers are already written some where, and I read it all, but I`m confused atm

There's an easy Vista fix; it's called

WINDOWS XP

Lovwyrm -

one account - paid for by one credit card
    1 subscription -
    up to 5 characters split over as many shards as you want. Including the Unity characters when they're imported.

2 subscriptions - (same account) = 10 characters..

You shouldn't need to give any up unless you have lots of characters you want to keep (and don't want to pay for more subs).

When they import characters/accounts etc you should be able to submit a ticket and say "I want these accounts merged, this is the primary account I want all the characters to be moved to".

No loss of any characters (including new ones).
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post

WINDOWS XP
    And this fix? It does not break my Direct X 10 games I am playing does it?

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Well, I have questions for Horizons CS. Please take your time on this one and discuss it amongst yourselves before answering.

In the effort to bring the Unity players into Chaos, Order, and Blight, you're wanting to make sure everything comes across correctly. This we all understand and wait with bated breath in anticipation. My questions are: what problems are currently holding you back? Is there a list that you're checking off bit by bit? May those of us on here know that list and how you stand thus far with updates as major and minor points are resolved? This one topic I've seen leaking throughout several threads and perhaps this would be one way to ease some of the anxiety of those from Unity.

Personally, I look forward to many of them coming over to Order.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Ild sign up to whatever you want with a delay of about 10 nanoseconds

i'm with you, vah. as we all prolly know by now ( ), i am a vista user. at the risk of sounding rude, at least you guys on unity are getting comm about possible solutions to your problem. no mention yet about a fix for vista users
    I am an Unity and Vista user. Beat me!
    What did you sub, Vah- what are you paying for?
    My account (like a lot off Unity) - not the characters though - was imported by EI in the past, so I had full access to all the possible subscriptions including grandfathered.
    What will happen? I write step by step as I read in several other threads:

1) You play like you want, with your imported account or a new one.

2) One day, when the import proggie is ready, we'll get an option to decide wether to import, account by account, our Unity characters into Chaos or Order.
    It has not been told how they are going to "link" your Unity character to your US server account, that is how do you prove that dragon XXX is really yours. In my case I just used my copied account with same name but I suppose some players will start new accounts.

3) You don't lose your newer characters if their name is different, the old ones are added into your account and that's it.

4) The process about plots is unknown, probably novian-ized structures you'll find in the bank.

5) What'll happen to stuff in silos etc. on your plot when Unity got shut down is unknown, it might be all lost like when you decon your structures.

6) How your money will be transferred is unknown. I suppose they'll import the vault.

7) How will your plot cost be "reimbursed" is unknown. I had a 101x101 and spent TONS to buy it, I'd like to have the gold refunded back, so that I can buy another plot on Chaos.

WINDOWS XP
    New hardware and laptops are not compatible with XP at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    3) You don't lose your newer characters if their name is different, the old ones are added into your account and that's it.
    Most likely all Unity char will be imported as Name_unity. So there should be no char lost what so ever.

I don't believe for a SECOND that they cant' get full DX10 compatability with windows XP. That is all marketing horsepoopoo, made so to make everybody run and get the new OS. If not Microsoft, ATI/NVidia or the gamedevelopers manages this themselves, there's plenty of hacker types out there that will write drivers for it...

And Vah, there's isn't a single piece of hardware available today that are NOT compatable with XP, nor will there be for years...

Thread Information