Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Response to MMORPG Question About Unity

Default Re: Response to MMORPG Question About Unity

It's good to read yet another official statement about the Unity situation. Though it is not entirely sure yet it will hapen, they definitely are taking a close look the best options. And I am confident we will eventually see our beloved characters once again

I have been playing on Chaos now and then, joined the Heroes of Unity guild. But it's not the same. But I subscribed to be a grandfather for 6 months anyway Will give the game some much needed financial support.

I will be patient for as long is needed, because this has to be done with care as Mr Simmons said. For if I had Half-giant legs, I would not fit inside my Dwarven house anymore, let alone in holes in the ground
    Fidri Ragnir of Unity, dwarf cleric, amongst the living once again
    Firnas Ragnir of Chaos, elf warrior apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Amerelium View Post
    I don't believe for a SECOND that they cant' get full DX10 compatability with windows XP. That is all marketing horsepoopoo, made so to make everybody run and get the new OS. If not Microsoft, ATI/NVidia or the gamedevelopers manages this themselves, there's plenty of hacker types out there that will write drivers for it...

And Vah, there's isn't a single piece of hardware available today that are NOT compatable with XP, nor will there be for years...
    There aren't any drivers for the new hardware for winXP, only for vista. Unless you are suggesting that the people in this thread start coding there own drivers, stfu. And of course MS could have made DX10 for XP, but they didn't. What are normal people suppose to do about that? Nothing. They can do nothing about it.

Yes I also have heard on other forums of hardware that does not have XP drivers so people buying new computers have no other option. No it's not all computers but some.

New hardware and laptops are not compatible with XP at all.
    So how is I'm on a laptop less than six months old and I'm using XP? Granted that's my Other Half's Doing as he abhorred Vista with a passion, but it runs fine, and so does the game.

It may not be easy, but it's not utterly impossible to get XP on a laptop. But we're rather derailing the thread now.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoChanLung View Post
    So how is I'm on a laptop less than six months old and I'm using XP? Granted that's my Other Half's Doing as he abhorred Vista with a passion, but it runs fine, and so does the game.

It may not be easy, but it's not utterly impossible to get XP on a laptop. But we're rather derailing the thread now.
    It depends on the hardware you have. And "6 months old" doesn't mean anything. Are the individual components straight off the assembly line (5000 dollar laptop that won't run XP) or is it made from 3 year old parts (300 dollar laptop that will run XP)? You could have purchased both 6 months ago. Or today for that matter. They are two different beasts.

Show me a GFX card available today with anything than less than 100% WinXP support...

*cough* maybe we could move that to the Vista thread then before Menkure comes and cracks the whip, yeah?

Last edited by Amerelium; September 18th, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

This is getting way off topic but...

Whoa there sailor, the Alky Project isn't implementing DirectX 10 in the way you think it is. Instead of allowing DX10 hardware to run DX10 software in XP, it offloads all the DX10-only shaders to machine code and lets the CPU take care of them. In other words it's a zero-hardware acceleration fix and you'll take a major performance hit, especially once games start using DX10 shaders entirely.

Anyway, yeah. DirectX 10 is Vista only because Microsoft gets to make that decision, and they want to sell more copies of their new OS. There _was_ going to be a technical reason it had to be Vista (the Inq link in your post) in that DirectX 10 would require graphics memory to be virtualizable, but since nVidia couldn't get a working implementation going Microsoft made the feature optional.

EDIT: Also I don't see why Unity players couldn't be ported to Chaos or Order with all of their inventories and vaults intact. That's just a guess.
    Last edited by Hal`cyon Sskyler; September 18th, 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wanted to be on topic
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Hal`cyon Sskyler View Post
    EDIT: Also I don't see why Unity players couldn't be ported to Chaos or Order with all of their inventories and vaults intact. That's just a guess.
    Because we want our own shard! We don't want to share it with Foreign types like you, Hal.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Hal, isn't it because the databases are different? Unity was several deltas behind our deltas.

I don't think the deltas have anything to do with it. When the things ground to a halt we were, IIRC, only two patches behind NA. The thing is that selective migration of large, complex databases is a horendously complicated task. It would be very easy to inadvertantly corrupt the existing databases (IE, Order and Chaos) with a single typo, requiring you to do a full restore from backup.

Add to this all peripheral tasks - such as setting up a website UI for character transfer - and the task is pretty steep.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

And Vah, there's isn't a single piece of hardware available today that are NOT compatable with XP, nor will there be for years...
    Since I have my personal data center (!!), I installed Horizons on one of the computers running Windows XP and am done with it. Best fix ever.

My PC with Vista runs gorgeously and I won't uninstall it. Just don't use the layers of optional crap that comes with Vista and the OS is very good (this from someone who loves Debian Linux > all and uses Solaris at work) for being a Microsoft product.

First of all, 6 months old in the computer industry is 30% or more of its whole commercial lifetime, we are talking of new products.
    Second, I can install XP on my PC too, I am _that_ genius. Too bad I won't see but 2 Gig RAM, my chipset will toss me a curse or 10, some secondary peripherals won't work.

If you are not lucky your laptop modem won't work with XP, your network (even worse if it's WiFI) card won't work and possibly you'll have issues with the integrated audio.

Since Vista is the new dog, old stuff will have to be updated for it, not the contrary. Horizons included.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Well Hal, as with DX9, it's gonna take a tleast a couple of years until we see titles that actually use all the new stuff that DX10 makes available. And hence we're back to the general opinion held in the business; no you don't need Vista for a couple of years at least, unless you really like those flashy desktops.
    On a nother note: BBCs data guy Bill Thompson dug deep into the Vista core and found it to be more or less the same as XP, albeit a hell of a lot more messy. Maybe that's by it uses six times the HD space and three times the memory.
    My point being, there's little point in creating problems for yourself in making a switch to Vista now, and there's no need for it to be a high priority for Vir to start delving into the Vista problems, there's other, much more pressing issues...
    As for those that have changed and want to go back to XP; it takes around 40 minutes to do a clean setup, from scratch...

Hal, we want our own server coz we all want to be together! Not half on chaos, half on order :P hehe

I personally will be happy with char on chaos. Ideally new server, but I don't think that will happen. Personally on the import side, though my char is most important I'd like to be refunded the 518s I paid for my lair (anything else I can live without) and my forms would be nice, but not essential (a few Expert Scale forms, plus some Masters... rather not have to grab them again... lol). Basically as long as I have my char, I can get everything else back. I can even get the money back for a lair quickly anyway due to 100 craft, but I'd rather be able to buy it straight away tbh. I'm kinda worried they'll do plot/lair reclamations before Unity are imported, and once again all lairs/plots will be gone by the time I get to buy one. I do so want a 5x5x6 again! I know I'd build it up but I don't want to find one was up for sale, bought before I had a chance and then will barely be worked on *cries*

I'm just grateful atm that they're communicating with us so much. I was on hold on hz (again) until just last night, because I didn't want to keep developing the chars on my new Chaos account if I was going to have to choose between them or my Unity account (much as I'd love to support them this way, I can't afford two subs) but after their statement that they should be able to add them to accounts, I will simply not build up the new Pev, and instead work on my biped alt until Pev can be imported. Much as I long to soar the skies again, I can wait, because I've been waiting nearly a year now, and its not like I can't still enjoy the glorious world of Istaria. Not to mention viewing things from a naka's point of view is a refreshing (though inferior ) experience.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

According to Luca, it's shouldn't be TOO hard to do a copy...

I hope that wasnt before he figured out what problems may keep them from copying shul ..

I cant help it but still beeing pessimistic, even though Iam hoping.

Well Hal, as with DX9, it's gonna take a tleast a couple of years until we see titles that actually use all the new stuff that DX10 makes available.
    Crysis baby, not only do you miss out on gorgeous smoke and particle effects but you can't play with accelerated physics or a day/night cycle in multiplayer unless you can run DX 10 shaders in hardware. That should be out in mid-November. There's so much you can do in Direct3D 10 from efficiently offloading physics calculations to the GPU to massively increasing the number of objects visible at one time using geometry shaders. The physics processing power in a GeForce 8 series or Radeon 2000 allows for some crazy effects without resulting to expensive, under supported PPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyone else
    Things about databases
    I still think the most likely course of action for Unity is to merge with Chaos and Order. I say this because it sounds like only the database was transferred, not any hardware. Given the vast amounts of hardware required to run a shard and that Virtrium is just now taking over, I can't see the expense justified when Chaos and Order can both benefit well from dedicated Unity players wanting to get back in the game.
    "We live only ONE REAL DAY, during which we recall false memories of living many more."
    Is it today?
    "No."

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i beg to differ - i had to get a new printer, scanner, and trackball for my vista system and none of them will work on my xp machine. and vice versa - my parents had to get a new machine with vista on it and had to get a new printer as well, as the company was not supporting equipment working on xp with new drivers.

so vista will not work on xp and xp will not work on vista. its like a whole new world out there....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

My point being, there's little point in creating problems for yourself in making a switch to Vista now, and there's no need for it to be a high priority for Vir to start delving into the Vista problems, there's other, much more pressing issues...
    As for those that have changed and want to go back to XP; it takes around 40 minutes to do a clean setup, from scratch...

hmmm, not sure if we are dealing with the same vista here, as your info does not match up with mine or even my experience.
    a) it is now very difficult to find a new machine running xp, unless you get it custom made. the electronics stores in america have all switched to vista, as have the bto places like dell and gateway. around here, the local geek places may be able to make you a xp machine, but don't go to best buy looking for one.
    b) i work for a major international corporation that is getting ready to start moving all its users (overseas as well as america) from xp to vista. its such a big company, other large companies WILL follow its lead. sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but vista is here to stay and xp is on the way out. that is just the nature of things. i believe the most important thing vi can do now is come up with a perm vista fix - more peeps will need that sooner than a new server or content release.
    c) easier said than done - vista doesn't like to share, so dual boots are not a good idea, and a lot of peripherals will only work with one system or the other.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information