Thread: New Player with some Questions

Question New Player with some Questions

Hey! I'm Vechs. (Vex)

I played Horizons for a day or so waaay back in the beta, but it was really buggy and blah, and I never tried the game again - untill now. I don't really know too much about what the game has been like, although from what I've read on the forums so far, it looks like I didn't miss much (especially where that whole EI debacle was concerned).

What I'm wondering is what race to play. I like dragons, but I feel like they're probably overplayed, and I think I might get the whole druid-syndrome thing while playing them (WoW druid that is, I got annoyed that I always looked the same in animal forms- I like seeing the armor I wear).

Right now I'm leaning towards Fiend, if I went biped.

Also, how easy is changing your class? I mean, do you just go to a trainer and say "join this school" and that's it, you then just start leveling that class?

Is your level the total level of all the class levels you have? (like, 5 warrior + 15 mage = level 20 adventurer)

Is this the same with crafting? Actually I know this (kinda), because I became a scholar, then canceled that quest, then became an outfitter, and had both crafting schools. Unfortunantly I didn't get the tools for outfitter! So I couldn't do those quests.... pretty much SOL I guess? Devs if you read this please add a way to get all the basic tools for free on the newbie island.

Hmmm... oh, is there a pet class? I love pet classes.

Default Re: New Player with some Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Vechs View Post
    Hey! I'm Vechs. (Vex)
    Hi Vechs!

Also, how easy is changing your class? I mean, do you just go to a trainer and say "join this school" and that's it, you then just start leveling that class?
    Just so! Many of the classes need prerequisites (a certain level of skill and levels) to first join, but apart from that all you need to do to join (or switch to) a class is go talk to an appropriate trainer.

Is your level the total level of all the class levels you have? (like, 5 warrior + 15 mage = level 20 adventurer)
    No, it's a slightly more involved equation, though not by much. Basically:
    AR^2 = AC^2 + (C1^2 + C2^2 + C3^2)/4

Where AR is your adventure rating, AC is your active class and C1 ... Cn are your other adventure classes. The AR is what determines how much XP you get from a certain mob.

Here's a page that'll do it for you: http://www.dragonspires.org/rating_calc.html

Is this the same with crafting? Actually I know this (kinda), because I became a scholar, then canceled that quest, then became an outfitter, and had both crafting schools.
    Yes, and no. While you do have a craft rating just like adventure rating, it does not factor into the XP you get from crafting - only your active level does that. (Reason for this is that it would be impossible to level up a new craft if you had a high CR)

Unfortunantly I didn't get the tools for outfitter! So I couldn't do those quests.... pretty much SOL I guess?
    Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to get the tools if you talk to the trainer again. I could be mistaken, of course - in that case you can simply move on to New Trismus and get the tools from the trainer there.

Hmmm... oh, is there a pet class? I love pet classes.
    Yes, we call them hatchlings.

Welcome (back) to Istaria!
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Hey, thanks for the info - after I posted I found this site and added this to my favorites :

http://horizons.gamersinfo.net/schools/schools.php

... I think I'll be referencing that a lot. As for the starter trainer, I think he bugged on me or something. I got the sewing needle, but not the foraging knife or the scissors, which was odd, because he wanted me to make him some cloth armor, but I couldn't harvest any flax O_o; - but I'll prolly delete that char anyway, I'm still just trying out everything, so no biggie.

Unless you want a different race do not delete him. At that level it should not matter. There should be a Give tools link in his text. If not on the starter island try asking in the chat channels where the trainer is in the real world Bind to thr newbie island and visit the main trainer and see if he will give tools. Something the newbie Island trainer can become bugged

Thread Information