Thread: The HZ Launcher

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

Question The HZ Launcher

I am using the Horizons Launcher to launch the game. I want to know if using this launcher still the "best practice" (a weird term I learned at work last week) for starting the game in lieu of the web page?

Also, I use Firefox -- will you ever support this browser. It's established as being the most secure over IE.
    (Never mind that IE is "established"...it's not...it's just the browser that company forces you to use, because it comes free with your computer...sorry got off topic..)

Thanks.
    Last edited by j-Xiti; October 2nd, 2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: adding stuff, mispelling and other stuff
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Default Re: The HZ Launcher

Quote Originally Posted by j-Xiti View Post
    I want to know if using this launcher still the "best practice" (a weird term I learned at work last week) for starting the game in lieu of the web page?
    Ugh. I hate that term!

Anyway, the launcher is the easiest way to go about launching HZ. It does have some shortcomings (like you can't create or delete characters from it, as well as it requires .net).

The other alternative is launching from a batch file. If you go this route, make sure you use the launcher or web page whenever there is a client patch.

Yes pls support Firefox, I hate having to open IE.

Sianan + Pooki + Lotus Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by Nanain View Post
    Yes pls support Firefox, I hate having to open IE.
    You can use the IE Tab plugin for Firefox. IE Tab embeds Internet Explorer in a Mozilla/Firefox tab.

Yes, but then you're still using IE - and that's the point. To not use IE. At all.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Yes, but then you're still using IE - and that's the point. To not use IE. At all.
    I don't see what the problem is. I use IE only to log in HZ, and don't like to have many windows opened at once ; my problem is solved using that pluging. What's the problem using IE to open a secured page ?

It's a matter of principles, monopolies, dependencies and choice. If you don't get it, you don't get it, and there's nothing wrong in that.

Anyway, the best solution possible would be to completely phase out the website login, and have all the pertinent features in the stand-alone launcher, using the website only for secondary features. Actually - no - the *best* solution would be to embed it into the game itself. Ie like every other MMO does it. But that may not be feasible.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

It's a matter of principles, monopolies, dependencies and choice. If you don't get it, you don't get it, and there's nothing wrong in that.
    Oh I get it, though I don't think this a primary thing to work on.

Anyway, the best solution possible would be to completely phase out the website login, and have all the pertinent features in the stand-alone launcher, using the website only for secondary features. Actually - no - the *best* solution would be to embed it into the game itself. Ie like every other MMO does it. But that may not be feasible.
    That would be very nice, and more performant than the way it is now.

well to tell you the truth I would like HZ to be multiplateform too. That way I could go buy a Mac and format that crappy Windows :P Would also make things easier for Mac and Linux users, and even if they aren't a majority, some potential players just don't want to bother installing a dual boot or emulate windows for HZ, and scrap it.

But don't expect to see that soon... I don't think that will ever be done.

Personally.. id rather they solve the lag issues in some areas of the game.. or release a new updated client with a better rendering system.

I wasnt even aware that there was a launcher app, so I set (to my dislike) IE as default, and just login to the web page.

Thread Information