Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

Default drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

i was feeling nostalgic and took a stroll through the dralk tunnel, whose corridors i built nearly by myself last year on order... and discovered that a blockage that was once there is missing.. and there is a new project with a room that has a portal labelled "naka-duskael gate to drakul".

so this begs the question... why did the devs feel the need to give a portal to drakul that bipeds can access? i realise a LOT of people complained that they couldn't get there because they don't play dragons... well, boo hoo.

and now boo hoo for dragon players.

what's the point? it's almost all lairs anyway. and ... how topical? do people really complain that much anymore? drakul's heart was added over 2 years ago.
    Last edited by dorrin; October 6th, 2007 at 06:22 AM. Reason: accidentally hit enter too soon.

Default Re: drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

i have to agree, there are some things that need to stay dragons only, for the sake of the Istarian storyline.

Totally playing Devil's Advocate here.. but what land in all Istaria, in similarity to Drakul, is there that is purely bi-ped only?

Is there any island for bi-peds that is a 'sanctuary' where a dwarf or a satyr could go that no dragon could reach?

I realize for the storyline, the significance of the Dragon race, and I am also quite keenly aware of how Dragons are portrayed in ancient and modern mythology... However, no matter how much we may hope, wish, and pretend, Horizons is still a game. As such, the developers have to be mindful of creating a balance, and this is not just in game dynamics or combat abilities, but also a give-and-take amongst the various races.. in order to make each one unique.

Favoritism always breeds animosity, and once that "pandora's box" is opened, you cannot shut it completely. Once something big and special is added to the game but open only to one race, and there is nothing for any of the others to counterbalance that, then you run into the "Sneeches" syndrome.

Now, with all that said.. am I in favor of opening up the portal to bipeds? Truthfully, I've never had any desire to visit Drakul, and in all honestly it doesn't really bother me.. so I don't really have an opinion either way.

However, I do strongly feel that there needs to be a balance.. and one that, in my honest opinion, has not been truly achieved yet in game. Still, I know that the devs were working on obtaining that balance, even right before and up to the sale, and I'm positive in the belief that this essential part of the game is a concept not forgotten by the current devs.

-Menkure

Dorrin, that set of tunnels and the lair to the portal has been being worked on slowly over the last three days. I guess that answers my question as to whether you knew of it or not. I guess the outward portal at Drakul unlocked it.

I don't really care what other dragons or bipeds think on the matter. As you said, Boo hoo. Its there, its workable, I'd like to see the public lair completed. I can understand now why you liked working on the public lair so much.

Although I noticed there's another blockage to the right of one of the three ways that leads down to the portal.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

A Naka portal deep below Dralk out of all places. The devs got a good sense of humour *smirks*
    A few dragons including myself have known about this portal n the corridors leading to it for a few days, as Arzel pointed out, n we've been working on it. I discovered it while crossing through the lair and hey, thought it'd be interesting to find out what's behind it :P Plus I thought it'd be interesting to see what'd happen if a few dragons, including a Lunus (myself), opened up said portal. (and it'd give some nice lairshaping exp while we were going at it) So that's why the blockage has been missing. I think it's nice that bipeds could also reach Drakul through there. Irony I say. And humour

Menkure... A little late for that kind of balance? Now I'm playing devils advocate!!! Muahaha. No seriously...

What is there of worth on the dragon island that a biped would want? I thought it was originally meant to be a sanctuary for dragons that weren't RP wise fans of bipeds.

Secondly, the balance and what one has that the other doesn't is kind of a silly debate/arguement. If so, then give me multi classing!

Though on the subject I don't mind either way. Don't own a plot there and Chioxin is extremely two legger friendly ^..^

*grins* I agree with Menkure, but Chioxin certainly makes a valid point too! Sure, there must be balance, but as it stands its the dragons who have the bad end of the biscuit. XD Sure, Bipeds can't fly, but they can do just about everything else. :P *want more spells*

And yup, what Merc and Arzel posted is true. Merc discovered the uncomplete halls and started training his lairshaping on them. Anyways, yeah, Merc and some friends got together and started working on the public lair and I decided it would be fun to join in. It's been going on for a few days, although I only seriously started helping about a day ago ^^

See those Weak excoriations of Earth? *points* I made those!

Seriously though, I doubt the Bipeds will all come flocking to Drakul. I've only seen one or two in Dralk, I've never seen any in Chiconis, and besides, I hear Drakul is mountainous. :P Should be hard and tedious to climb anyway.

Come on, I'm a dragon and I've never even been there! XD

~Galde

Bah what would be on drakul that can bipeds interest?!?!? The Yew threes? There isnt event a tablesaw station lol.... the whisps? There are tons of them south of harro... and a BIPED portal under DRALK to DRAKUL? That's so far awaay from the storyline....

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Take a step back please. Bipeds also helped build that portal. Why not then, open those dragon wings and accept the bipeds to your land? The work of bipeds came from the heart, as it should come from your heart, to accept them on your island.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    Take a step back please. Bipeds also helped build that portal. Why not then, open those dragon wings and accept the bipeds to your land? The work of bipeds came from the heart, as it should come from your heart, to accept them on your island.
    You're right Peaches ! That's the least we can do.

I can understand what Peaches is trying to say, but I also have to agree with Takora.

What, exactly, in Drakul would a biped ever want to do? They can't use dragon machines last I heard, no woodworking equipment for the trees to be found there, some of the lairs require flight to get to, last I heard, and in the past, even the devs (I think it was AmonGwareth) that said, outright, "Bipeds will never have attunement to Drakul" ...

Now, all of the sudden, we're giving them access? And for what? I'm not sure I am really understanding their logic on this one.

I'm not one of those dragons who absolutely loathes the bipeds, I just question what their purpose in Drakul would actually be...

They could, however, open up some biped plots on Drakul... so that they can at least build some superior silos. lol. Then maybe they could at least be put to work to help us, if nothing else.

What, exactly, in Drakul would a biped ever want to do?
    I've heard it's a very beautiful place.

That is reason enough for some types of players and/or characters to want to visit it.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

But when they open Drakul to the Nakas, why not also Adean and Serenety? (Then they can also bug the other dragons )

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    I've heard it's a very beautiful place.

That is reason enough for some types of players and/or characters to want to visit it.
    It is a beautiful place. Many of the lairs cannot even be reached by a biped. So what? Its a new island, and it has resources much the same as the main lands and every biped that wishes to go there should have that right, just as the dragons have the right to the main lands and the dragon island.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Well, well, well. The other shoe has fallen.

No, Drakul is NOT difficult to climb. Tagath's done it, as has Mercurius. Both are hatchlings.

Why would we bipeds want there? Simply put, t5 resources. That is, if you don't mind the emerald, peridot, and fire opal golems or the beetles or the mithril golems.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Not a dragon, never going to be a dragon, never been to Drakul and dont care. This thread is pretty Orwellian , reminds me of a line from animal farm, "all animals are equal, except pigs". Dragons are welcome in every biped world, not sure why they would think they need their own world. Always loved mmos because race , religion and nationality mean nothing , we all play and dont even know what we are in real. Kudos to the dragons , for trying to bring the worst of humanity into istaria. Exclusion is bigetry, like you say theres nothing there so unless invited to visit why would a biped ever go, seems to me they wont.

Good news! The Naka portal to Drakul will only work if if the naka is a pet of a dragon and pays in horde rather than coin! This horde, after reaching a certain amount will then be distibuted to all dragons currently online at the time! Furthermore all pets- I mean naka seeking entrance to Drakul must wear collars and tags identifing them as dragon pets.

____
    *yawns* Yep past my bed time...see ya'll later!

Quote Originally Posted by Teto Frum View Post
    Not a dragon, never going to be a dragon, never been to Drakul and dont care. This thread is pretty Orwellian , reminds me of a line from animal farm, "all animals are equal, except pigs". Dragons are welcome in every biped world, not sure why they would think they need their own world. Always loved mmos because race , religion and nationality mean nothing , we all play and dont even know what we are in real. Kudos to the dragons , for trying to bring the worst of humanity into istaria. Exclusion is bigetry, like you say theres nothing there so unless invited to visit why would a biped ever go, seems to me they wont.
    My biped would go, in a heartbeat!

If it really bothers some people that much, just pretend it's a gnome hotel. "The gnomes check in, but they don't check out."

And here's another reason to open it: Biped alts. I'm willing to bet that most dragons who own lairs on Drakul (and Aedan and Serenity for that matter) have at least one biped alt, for whom access to the lair storage would be very practical. (If you own a lair there and *do not* have a biped alt... You do not need to speak up. Really. I believe you anyway.)
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

I do agree that it would have make more sense to port from Chiconis instead of Dralk... but I believe that people are over thinking this a bit, and getting far too emotional. In my opinion the answer is a lot simpler.

Basic accounts only get one plot. If you buy a biped plot, any of your alts can access the storage there. But what if your plot is a Lair on Drakul instead? Should you now not be allowed to have access to the shared storage space that most other players enjoy?

What about guilds based in Drakul that (gasp) have biped members?

Thread Information