Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

Default Re: drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

Dralk already is built lore deficient with its placement of the portal entry pad and the nearby biped machine (NW stonecutter by obsidian). Now if there was a portal to Drakul then two things seem evident - don't want it then don't build it _and_ make it "hoard" powered (as another stated . . . . contribute hoard items to use it).

As for players that want a game mechanic to access their dragon's plot . . . . whiners. As a player they opted to build a lair on an isolated island - Serenity or Drakul or in the far north (so what . . . . there going to be a bridge across the far northern rift?). Now granted players like shared storage to PL their toons, so just have to be smarter of plot (or lair) placement.

As for lairs and resources . . . . don't even go there as more plots are ideally placed near resources then there are lairs. And since the server merge (Oct 2005) higher tiered resources are much less remote (which conflicts with lore, or at least my memory of what the dragon craft trainer says).

As for racial only lands or areas? Well, the developers added the khutit form for dragons (that is lore weak imo) so there would need to be some magic "barrier" or zone to prevent dragon passage, such as underground dwarven cities or Dryad tree complexes too small for some races. Base it in lore with supportive game mechanics and all is well.

It comes down to the simple fact - Horizons is two games, one of dragons and one of bipeds. Each has their advantages, disadvantages, and unique racial features. The interaction should just be enough to fit within the lore of the Peace Accords and the threat of the Withered Aegis (to overcome the dragon factions and how that difference was "played upon" by the humans.

So yes, there should be an underlying racial conflict. It's part of lore. Especially during the "pause" of the WA advance.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thumbs down Re: drakul's heart... it's not just for dragons anymore...

What a wonderful thread this is.
    All it has done is reveal to me what a bunch of racists some of you are that hide behind the words lore and role play.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    why not also Adean and Serenety?
    I would have loved a biped access to Serenity on Unity.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
    All it has done is reveal to me what a bunch of racists some of you are that hide behind the words lore and role play.
    Assuming you are being serious, how can someone truly be racist against races that don't even exist outside of a game? Further, what do you think lore (and roleplay on the Order shard) is even put in for? You can't just go in and contradict lore like that, otherwise it serves no purpose.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

The word is specist in any case. Racist is when you discriminate against different nationalities within your own species. And I daresay every herd, pack, or family oriented animal on the planet is specist in real life (solo animals not so much. They hate everybody.). It is hardwired into us to care more for our own species than for others.

Bit off topic there, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
    OMGLOL, this stuff is going to drive me insane! I'm not racist in real life, but a lot more stress between all the NPC races in Horizons would make for a lot more possilities for quests and rollplay. You don't think that every author that writes a book with a villien in it is as evil as the villen he creates do you? Or every actor you see in a movie doing bad deeds is as evil ad the charactor he portrays? Don't think that way about rollplayers either.

I really don't think some of you are getting our points at all. There seems to be two factions here, people that just want to grind, and people that actually want to live a life that has some sort of emersion in the game and create several storybook personalities.

Compared to games like say, WoW, HZ has very little drama displayed by quest lines and very little well supported lore. This is going to have to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    There seems to be two factions here, people that just want to grind, and people that actually want to live a life that has some sort of emersion in the game and create several storybook personalities.
    Whoa there cowboy, i ain't a member of any faction (athough i may be a fraction) but do you really really wanna say

"the way i play is emersive and rp and the what the rest of you is doing isn't"

cause that's what it sounded like to me.
    Am gonna hit an inanimate object with another inanimate object for awhile, then i'm gonna hit an animate object with a different inanimate object. And they said MMORPG's were limited in scope Pah!

I agree for lore reasons that Bipeds should not be allowed on the island and really so from the Lunus city. From a OOC potion I do not like it even more, if there is no quest attached to attuning to the gate. As a dragon I have to do a quest to be able to gate out.

I hope that it is mis-named and that this portal will be used for the other landing pads they are putting on Drakul.

Quote Originally Posted by Helious View Post
    No, I'm only calling those that are calling this thread rasist non rollplayers. Because imo they don't understand the meaning of rollplay and the effect lore and history have on it.

For instance, I play the following:
    A gnome that is deathly afraid of dragons because his family was killed by one. (does this make me racist?)
    A a goofy semi-insane sslik that occasionally manages to spit out words of wisdom.
    A helian dragon that enjoys the company of bipeds.
    A satyer that is a bit obsessed with style.
    A dragon hatcling that is destined to become one of those "rasist" type lunus because he belives in the lunus reasoning. (does this make me racist?)
    I even once tried to play a arshole fiend, but didn't ejoy it much so I deleted him.

when i asked is what you said this
    Quote Originally Posted by Helios
    i was hoping to clarify your position and you replied
    No, I'm only calling those that are calling this thread rasist non rollplayers. Because imo they don't understand the meaning of rollplay and the effect lore and history have on it.
    So let me get this absolutly straight, i don't wanna have gotten this wrong and been acused of bending your words do you mean what i think you mean? As in

"the way i play the game is the correct way and anyone who dosn't agree with me is playing the game wrong"

Because if you do i would be very keen to comment further.
    Am gonna hit an inanimate object with another inanimate object for awhile, then i'm gonna hit an animate object with a different inanimate object. And they said MMORPG's were limited in scope Pah!

So let me get this absolutly straight, i don't wanna have gotten this wrong and been acused of bending your words do you mean what i think you mean? As in

"the way i play the game is the correct way and anyone who dosn't agree with me is playing the game wrong"
    No again, what I'm saying is that just because a rollplayer wants to play a charactor that has a racist history does not make that rollplayer racist. I agree that drakul being a dragon only haven is racist, but it follows lunus history, lore and thought processes. This does not make the rollplayer that plays a racist personality racist. This is the part of the idea of rollplay that I think people like Corvinus is missing..
    Last edited by CallakDW; October 7th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    From a OOC potion I do not like it even more, if there is no quest attached to attuning to the gate. As a dragon I have to do a quest to be able to gate out.
    There can't be any quest, since there is no destination...
    Last edited by Zexoin; October 7th, 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: BBCode...

Thank you for the clarification. And for the record i couldn't agree with you more on Drakul but one persons way of roleplaying is no better or worse than anothers, it's just different and no less valid.

OK, roleplay.
    Dragons. There are 2 factions and 3 groups.

Faction:
    Helian - Looks at bipeds as beings of promise, they just need teaching and nurturing. That does not mean they want bipeds around all the time or even prefer the company of bipeds. Personally I think of bipeds as friends and allies which is why I joined a guild and built my lair amongst them.
    But that still doesn't mean all helian want that close of a relationship with them.

Lunus - Bipeds are slaves or lesser then dragons. Bipeds are tolerated due to necessity. But still, they did ruin the sleeper.

Groups -
    Helian & Lunus - see above
    Have not joined a faction - there are solitary dragons who have not chosen a faction and may not agree with either side. Of course they would be hatchlings because to become an adult you must chose a faction.

No matter what you thing there is lore built into the game. As such it is considered good roleplaying to play your character within the parameters set forth. Protecting drakul as a dragon sanctuary is good roleplaying.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Thank you for the clarification. And for the record i couldn't agree with you more on Drakul but one persons way of roleplaying is no better or worse than anothers, it's just different and no less valid.
    I never said their way of playing was wrong, I said they didn't understand rollplay.

Also I might add that chaos is supposed to be a no rollplay server, and order a rollplay server, so technically I could say that anyone doing the wrong thing on the wrong server is playing it wrong. But that is just my opinion, but doesn't it make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    There can't be any quest, since there is no destination...
    I understand that I just hope once it is opened a quest is added to it, but hope even more that is is miss named and it is placed there for the extra pads they said they had planed to add.

We do not know how long this has been there. For all we know this was added back last year when they added the portal out on blight.

so technically I could say that anyone doing the wrong thing on the wrong server is playing it wrong. But that is just my opinion, but doesn't it make sense?
    So technically you can't for one simple reason, you have no authority to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Right and wrong is merely a perception therefore you can view ones action as right or wrong but in the larger context that dosn't make their actions any less right or worng.

However in this case we exist in a virtual world so the owner and only the owner of the virtual world has say over what is right or wrong.

You are in this instance completely irrelavent. just as i am.

However in this case we exist in a virtual world so the owner and only the owner of the virtual world has say over what is right or wrong.
    And the owner of the virtual worlds named chaos no rollplay and order rollplay and said "let there be light!" and so it was..... did they not? Or am I missing somthing. I say the owner made a statement there that should be followed, I sertainly didn't label those so. Not to mention the more those labels are followed correctly, the more my imersion increases as well as for those that do not care to rollplay that actually picked chaos like they should have.
    Last edited by CallakDW; October 7th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.

Ok, so going off of the prevailing draconic logic...

The only two races allowed into Sslanis should be, according to lore, the Saris and Sslik. You know, that whole war of genocide thing, coupled with enslavement and discrimination even after the Saris intervened. So, no creature (Dragons included, some of you participated in the war as well) should have the option to teleport to Sslanis, nor should any of you all be allowed to use our machines or resources, and any NPC you talk to will simply insult you in Sslik. It fits into lore, and a bit of talking will reveal that the majority of the Sslik population is still pissed off at the majority of the world.

From a gameplay point of view, it's not such a problem. There are other ways to level up, either out of Kion or just grinding. But then a large number of people would miss out on the cool art, the cool music and the cool quests that are there, while also tying up a nice chunk of game memory and resources for a part of the game that only a small group can really enjoy.

But by all means, let's introduce racial tensions back into the game! Get KOS'd in Kirasanct while trying to train as a reaver! Get charged double by dwarves and not be allowed into the tunnels unless you are a dwarf, cause nobody else helped defend them during the great war and they want compensation! Dryads are now PVP flagged for Sslik, cause they taste good!

Sounds kinda silly in a PVE, fight against a common foe game, doesn't it?
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Thread Information