Thread: WA a playable race?

Default WA a playable race?

i have been thinking of ways to make this game more interesting. how about making a set of Races within the Withered Aegis playable? they DO have an entire eastern continent to themselves. so, why not make the WA a player faction? you could have *real* invasions, run by real people, and the Gifted to counter this invasion, instead of going to the ED and killing mobs. it gives reason to do events, and it effects the whole Istarian world. properly balanced this could be a game-changing implimentation. it also makes others work together as a whole unit, because if you lose...you lose a whole town for example. we could write Istarian history as we play the game...

Default Re: WA a playable race?

I couldn't disagree more. your right a game changing implementation... the game wouldbecome based on PVP which.. it isn't right now and should never be. personally i thik they should finish the dragon class and perhaps introduce the Angel demon as a Uber-race to allow level 100+ multiclassed bipeds some further development.. perhaps on change reduce them to level 1 again... i know this was mentioned previously but i like the idea

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. your right a game changing implementation... the game wouldbecome based on PVP which.. it isn't right now and should never be. personally i thik they should finish the dragon class and perhaps introduce the Angel demon as a Uber-race to allow level 100+ multiclassed bipeds some further development.. perhaps on change reduce them to level 1 again... i know this was mentioned previously but i like the idea

give the bipeds an uber race? like they need any more unbalancing!

While it does sound like an interesting idea, I'm going to have to agree that this would mean Horizons would have to end up being PvP, and I know many people who wouldn't want that. Part of the reason for such a mature community, I think, also has to do with lack of PvP and I certainly don't want a bunch of immature people coming in and ruining everything for everyone.

100/100/90
    Ancient dragoness of Order - Retired

Actually, this is a good idea if implemented within the confines of lore.

Setup a training island or two (akin to making over New Brommel) then have those WA "characters" confined within certain regions as they level - areas of ND, WD, then ED. And they can certainly "spar" other WA to gain combat XP.

Just adapt how they do it in LOTRO . . . . thus Gifted characters that don't want PVP just don't need to enter those selected areas.

As for the crafting side . . . . just a natural expansion on blighted items, and very few crafting schools. The WA won't care about foods or alchemy or carpentry.

Oh, and certainly no shared plot or lair. Yeah some players will want their WA toons to share resources with their Gifted toons, but have to draw some limit.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thumbs down Re: WA a playable race?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

This suggestion would change the whole concept of Horizons.
    We have a very small PvP element in game already: the Arena.
    That is more than enough.

I fear that bringing a PvP element into the game. We will bring also the L33Ts and other less likeable elements of MMORPGs to Horizons.

We are maybe a niche game. But our community is found upon mature players and families. We are a tight bunch, with a willingness to help one another. Competition between players is bordering on the non-existing, and certainly on a very friendly level.

We have several families playing here. As you can deduct from several posts here on the forum, we have several small children playing here with their little hatchling or their cute kitten. Their parents allow this due to the lack of harsh, unappropriate words on the channels, the lack of harassement. Even with the element of fighting mobs and the WA in game, this game is one of the most friendly environments for little kids to play together with their parents.

I myself have ventured many times out into the world with my 2 or 4-year-old sons on my lap, showing them the animals in this world. Flying around with my dragon. My 4-year-old loves it just to watch me play. Ofcourse those times are limited to harmless flying around, sightseeing and crafting.

Bring PvP and you bring all the bad elements aswell: kill-stealing, harassement, ...

Please Virtrium: make changes which bring new players, but do not introduce changes which could hurt they nice communities we have build up. Don't flush this down the drain with such a game altering suggestion.

Salis

i should have elaborated on that fact...the Gifted will NEVER PVP eachother. EVER. i am just suggesting Gifted Vs. WA PvP. put a player aspect in the Aegis, and make it more warlike, instead of going to the ED or WD and just hunting mobs. the Gifted and WA are at war...if you will remember.

I will side with the others about making the WA playable being a bad solely for the fact that I hate, hate, HATE PVP of any sort. It doesn't really matter whether the Gifted can attack other Gifted and the WA can attack other WA. It would attract the type of people we don't want in our community and open the door for the types of things that make me hate PVP so much.

Isharae of The Ancients - Pet Saris Druid to Dracanaa
    Katarae - Lost dragoness of Order

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    i should have elaborated on that fact...the Gifted will NEVER PVP eachother. EVER. i am just suggesting Gifted Vs. WA PvP. put a player aspect in the Aegis, and make it more warlike, instead of going to the ED or WD and just hunting mobs. the Gifted and WA are at war...if you will remember.
    its the last sentence that makes everyone else's point, rom, and disvalues your own.
    if other players become the wa, we will have the 1337 prob, as sal and drem pointed out. immature players (of any age) will choose to play wa, and there will be conflict like in wow or lotr. it will be PvP, no matter how you try to hide it. PvP always means uber behavior, of the unkewl kind. i prefer to crow about how many levels i have in arm, not how many other players i beat the snot out of because they are 'the bad guys'.

this is not a good idea and i, for one, would not support it in any way. i prefer horizons as it is. this is a idea that would change the very nature of horizons.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I would also like to point out the following fact:

Even now in a PvE environment there are loud calls for balancing the classes and races.
    In essence this should only apply to dragons and bipeds and not bipeds as they can multiclass to their hearts content.
    Reminder I do not want to start a thread about balancing dragons vs bipeds, open a new thread if you want to discuss this please.

Can you imagine what a nightmare it would unleash for the developers trying to make the WA races balanced against the Gifted ones?

And how would they go about it, balancing against invidual classes, balanced to Max multiclassed bipeds? How about the dragons then?

I don't think the current forum moderators will stay moderating the boards for long if this was ever implemented.

Horizons needs much development on the PvE front, client, server, spells, quests, landscaping, Vista fix, ...
    So even if they would follow up on your suggestion I see it more to be implemented at 5 years from now.

If you desperately long for PvP, I suggest you take an additional subscription on WoW or LotRo, or any other game which could fulfill your craving to PvP.

However your are most welcome to come battle the NPC WA with us or Blight, Chaos and/or Order.

Salis

While this may be a good idea, it's going to recieve a lot of resistance because a lot of people have gotten used to no PvP, and in fact many are here to get away from PvP, and have become used to the lack of it. I don't expect HZ will ever become a PvP game, plain and simple, though things would probably get interesting if it did. Would also loose a lot of players I think.

I agree with everyone else here. PvP for Horizons is bad I've tried pvp in other games, because I liked the idea that it (could) add to immersion. However that's not the case in reaility, for whatever reason pvp just draws out the worst types of folks(mind you there are a very few pvpers who are actualy decent people), the kind who as mentioned kill-steal, corpse/bindspot camp. Behave extreamly lewdly, and generaly go out of their way to find ways to make everone else misserable. YOu'll always find folks like these in any game, look at the jerk that went to Blight just to insult them and steall their stuff (I personaly feel ashamed and awful that it happened and hope that you Blighters dont think badly of the rest of us Order folks). But these instances are rare and generaly isolated here, simply because we dont have the elements that draw such awful crowds.

Having played DAOC for a long time, I find that wrong, the rude crude people are the exception not the rule. At least in Darkage. Maybe it all depends on the game, the more people playing the higher percentage of buts that show up. But Horizons is not a PvP game and should not try to be a PvP game. We have the arena for those that want it thats all that is needed. We do not need the split Dev time anymore then we already have.

I really don't care for the idea of creating a whole player WA race. Attracting certain types of people aside, I'll agree that it would cause lots of whining and headaches. Dragons vs bipeds is bad, and they're on the same side!

On the other hand, however...

I wonder about the implications of being able to log in a limited number of times per day as a random mob.

Let's say you can play as that mob until you're disconnected or are killed, and you're limited to the configuration for that mob. You are also unable to participate in any chat. To any other player, your character looks just like an NPC, just, perhaps, moves and fights a bit better.

If theres a genuine interest in developing some sort of player controlled WA, this might be a better approach.

two words: Hate PVP (well 4 words if you expand the acronym)

Here we go with making HZ like "everyone else" with faction based players, and the only reason you would play faction races would be for PVP

I love HZ for the simple fact it does not have it.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Factional PvP can have a terrible effect on a community. What happens is people start taking their faction alignment too seriously, dragging what should be a purely in-character distinction into out-of-character interactions. "lol teh WA r noobs" "lol teh Gifted r noobs" "Join the WA, we're better!" "Join the Gifted, we're better!" Real hatred and abuse arises between players based on nothing more than what race/faction they play. And if there is the slightest perceived imbalance between factions, another piece of hell breaks loose. Endless forum flamefests.

This can happen even to a small, mature and extremely friendly community.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Thread Information