Thread: microsoft visual C++ runtime library; runtime error

Default microsoft visual C++ runtime library; runtime error

So....ahem...this tends to crash Hz for me, and I am assuming it occurs due to this laptop being crap ^^

However, if all u had was a crap laptop and no cash to upgrade it....er what would u do to run Hz better?

Intel Pentium 4
    CPU 2.40GHz
    480MB of RAM

And BEFORE someone remarks that there's not enuff RAM...
    STOP,
    LOOK, -> I already realise that, I have no choice in the matter :/

Oh yeah and I get a nifty popup saying I don't have enuff visual memory or physical memory

Sianan + Pooki + Lotus Blossom

Default Re: microsoft visual C++ runtime library; runtime error

I don't even know what Runtime Error means.

EDIT: assuming you have Win XP
    But for your out of virtual memory error (assuming that is what it says, and not visual), go to Control Panel, double click the System icon, go to the Advanced tab, click Settings in the Performance box (should be the first button that says "settings"). A window will pop up. Click the Advanced tab, and read down to where it says "Virtual Memory". It will say something like "Total paging file size for all drives:" and then it will have a number, and a box that says "change".

What does that number say?

It means there was an error that occured when running the application, that could not reliably be predicted when compiling the program. So now you know! :P
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Try allocating more visual memory to the video processor, if BIOS will allow it. If it won't then it's pretty much screwed.

Compensate the lack of physical memory with virtual memory. If it does let you allocate more memory to the video processor, it will drop your physical memory (RAM allocated to the main processor) down to 448mb. If it works this would slow the game and cause it to stutter significantly.

If it doesn't work and it still wants more physical memory, then...<cough>more RAM.</cough>

From what I am reading here... The Visual memory is lacking... which I have never actually seen that particular error before.. but if that is not a typo.. I can understand that a lot of laptops, especially ones that were low end to begin with, had "integrated" video cards. Most of these video cards would not have dedicated memory to them, but they would share the system memory.

This could account for having a non standard amount of system memory showing as in the 480MB you state you have. A standard amount would normally be ~512 MB or ~384MB. As yours shows 480MB it would be assumed that 32MB of your normal system memory has been allocated to be utilized by your Graphics card, or your Visual memory. This number is sometimes able to be changed in your system bios on a laptop, and if your really lucky you might be able to change it in the actual operating system. The problem might arise when you do this that, the Graphics processor may only be able to handle the 32MB that it is currently allocated or less. If this is the case, you are pretty much SOL.

As you didn't state which graphics processor you have, it is a difficult thing for us to investigate from the manufacture to see what the max amount of memory that particular chip was capable of managing. In a lot of cases, the Notebook manufacture will utilize the most system memory that the graphics processor can handle as to allow their manufactured system to look less like crap. I personally always advise people that ask me for advise on purchasing a laptop to try to get one with dedicated video memory, and not shared memory as usually they have streamlined the graphics processor and memory datapaths better then the shared method.

Since you do not currently have that option, If you are not able to change the allocated memory to the video processor, I would highly suggest that you try not to run the programs that cause the out of visual memory errors. Most of these will be games, as they typically are the only thing that is graphically intense enough to require the video processor to store any real amount of data.

I wish you luck on your venture of reallocating that system memory, and hope that you can get it to like Horizons in the near future.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I definitely think you should be able to run this game. An older player I used to know called Byrant ran the game on an 800mhz P3 with 256mb ram and a 64mb graphics. Ok he had to run on absolutel min detail, and it wasa judder-fest ... but he was a great healer and player generally so it must have worked. Of course he had dedicated graphics memory; since you have 448mb ram, as stated previously your graphics is taking 64mb of it.

As asked by Gopher65.... it'll be interesting to see what your virtual memory size is. My personal bet is on your graphics chipset (check by going to Display Properties and going to Settings tab). Being integrated, it could be anything, and anything less than 'just enough' could generate this error. I used to run the game on a 512mb laptop with a 16mb radeon; it wasn't perfect but it was playable.

If your virtual memory settings are set to automatic, perhaps you don't have enough hd space free. Could also try the standard updating drivers trick.

(written quickly so errors and f-ups to be expected)

Rakku

Thread Information