Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A rant for the dragon hearted few.

Default A rant for the dragon hearted few.

I'm a bit drunk whilest writing this, but I'm curious. How many of you have looked to the heavens and had thoughts of flight? How do you feel about flying into a cloud bank? A thundercloud? Would you at all be conserned with your safty in flight, and the weather conditions? What are your thoughts about the ground below? If granted the wish of dragon transformation, what would you do? Would you accept it and leave all you currently know behind? Destroy those who have wronged you? Would you hide from those who may experiment on you, or shoot you down? Would you just hide, since you can fly, and find a peaceful place in the world to reside? What would you do, given the gift of dragon kind, knowing that there are likely no others of your kind in the "real" world and that you are now an outcast among anything else in the world?

I allready have imagined fears of flying into dark cloud banks, especially dark, brooding thunderheads, I'd likely avoid them, I'm also one that would probably find an uninhabited island in the pacific and make a lair there...... I hate being human. Mabe I'm just insane, but at least I'm creatively so, and the mask of annanimnity that the internet provides along with a bit of anebriation allows me to tell you this. I would never make such a statment openly in real life.

Default Re: A rant for the dragon hearted few.

In vino, veritas!

Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    In vino, veritas!

It took me a bit, but I understand! }:=8D

I dream of flight. Up above the clouds and through the storms. Past the turbulence of life and it's storms and lightning. I fly without fear, and the certain knowledge that my path ends harmonically no matter where it ends.

I dream of flying higher and higher until at last, bursting through the clouds and into the starlight and moon illuminated sky, I find peace and calm. I find a world away from fear, a world where solitude is not required for peace.

I dream of freedom. Freedom from memory, from my past, and from the horrors the world has forced on me. I dream of a place where dreams are pleasant and dreams are solace and not torment.

I dream of peace. I wish that the world as it is above the clouds would be the world below. No more separated one from another, but all a calmness of spirit and body.

I dream of wings and lift my head to the heavens. Someday I won't have to dream. Someday I won't have to wish. Someday I won't have to pretend that I'm the dragon.

I dream of someday.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i don't dream of flying - here's my thought....

why i love my bed by the cheese queen

my head rests on downy clouds,
    plump and full of dreams, they are.
    its firm and yielding waves embrace me better than any lover,
    tenderly cradling me softer than my mother's womb.
    in the cold, i cocoon within the warm cave of flannel sheet and comforter,
    settling on me like a toasty blanket of snow -
    and it gives, shaping itself to my every move.
    in the heat, egyptian cotton covers me,
    my personal shroud making me feel like a g.o.d of old -
    when awake, merely a woman -
    but when the darkness of the West takes me, i become Osiris reborn,
    free to find the Fields of Eternity and bring back its beauty to the East.
    like a tomb, it is covered in talismans, pictures and trinkets to stave off non-sleep.
    pyramids and kittens and women in colorful costumes
    help create a shell, stronger and harder and deeper than the earth's,
    an impervious border (that allows entrance only to feline intruders)
    surrounding a hot unstable core.
    i am safe there, wrapped in its protective arms and legs and warmth.
    i am alive there, happy and contented and sad to leave.
    it is the place i most desire to be on this earth,
    it is the place i will miss when i die.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I wish I could say it even 1/10th as well as this, but I can't. The words just are not there.

High Flight
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
    I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of ***.

John Gillespie Magee, jr, RCAF
    KIA December 1941
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

yeah i have run across this poem before, lo....
    it is very evocative and touching, and makes me feel like i should take up airplanes.........

Why is this even in rants?
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Oh to beable to spread my wings and fly! Truely some of my most favored dreams I was a dragon, or life long companion to a blue who I've come to call Storm. I'll be a little bit of a sap here by admiting that when Lan acended it was a bit like realizing a secret dream, I cried just a little bit on that first flight *blush*. If ever it were possible to become a dragon I'd be have a hard time to find a reason not to.

Perhaps the best of all my dreams is one of the few ones where I was actualy the dragon. A young silver, quick and light in the air, I lived in a huge valley with perhaps 30-40 others, we were the honer guard for the grandfather of all dragons. A being so huge that he spred the legnth of the valley and even rivaled some of the lower peaks in size! For a long time he slept untill the earth mistook him for its own, and trees and grass and other such foliage had grown upon him. We his childeren flew, and hunted and rested with in his valley and nearby mountains, uncontested rulers of all we could see.

When at last he awoke and took flight we flew with him as we always had, and followed him far away, into the darkness of the frozen north. At last he landed in the frigid seas sending huge waves rippeling away from him. On some of these some of my younger kin surfed with laughter. Others of us, including me, fearful of the cold landed on our grandfathers back or on the nearby iceburgs. At last I slid off grandfather's back and into the waters to find them to be cool but not unplesant, and after a bit I dove under and found a pearl as big around as my fist. This, I found made me feel much better about my new home.

As for Storm, he earned his name for his love of storms, often he'd frolic amongst the clouds and lightening, sometimes with me clinging in fear on his back. Almost every dream he'd tell me his name but never can I remember it on waking .

I've always wanted to fly, desperately ^..^ If I ever get the chance and the money one of the things I want to do is take up Hang Gliding. I think that's the closes feeling to what my dragon gets ^..^

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Why is this even in rants?
    Because I wasn't sure what I was going to say. Or how it was going to be recieved. I might have just rambled off on some odd tangent. I think it could be considered a rant just because I didn't have a real end target I was shooting for, it's just not an angry one.
    Last edited by CallakDW; October 18th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.

So, anyone ever think how this wish might come about? Would you wake finding you no longer fit in your room, and have to crash through the wall? Would you care at all about your past? Would you try to save somthing from it? Take it with you? Would you miss anything about your old life?

Ok, lets start with a little uncomfortable fantasy scenario, only for those that desire such a thing:

The year is 2007, man kind is exactly as you know them now. But somthing strange has happened. You have awakened, a morning allmost like any other, accept for one thing, your head is on the floor instead of on your pillow and there is a uncomfortable lump under your belly, which at one point was your bed, but is now crushed under your bulk. In fact, allmost all you can see is your own scales, your body curled around the room. If you had a hubby, and they sleep with you, they are no longer in the room, you have no idea where they are. The doorway is much too small for you to make your way into any other portion of the house without tearing it down around you.

It appears you have become a dragon, and I'm going to limit it to a dragon in the bearest sense of the word to keep things from getting too crazy. You are a large winged reptile creature with no magic, accept for the ability to breath fire - which some how you instinctively know how to do. At your disposal you have claws, teeth, your strength, your breath, and anything around you that you can handle without damaging, or can operate safely with your new size. There is no fitting in with humanity at this point, you can't shapeshift.

What is your next move?

At this point? First I'd be thankful that I've a fairly large bedroom. Second panic (even if I want to become a dragon waking up like that has got to be scary) Since people are going to freak out when they see me anyways tare down a wall and fly off to a more secluded spot, freak out some more.

See above.

I think I'd be a bit disorientated, but I don't really think that once I realized what had happened that I would panic. Of course, I've been thinking about this fantasy for several years now and I'm not saying that I would expect anything of the kind to ever happen, but if it did I'd be mentally ready. I just curious what some of you would do if it did.

So at this point, no thoughts of the past? Don't want to try to save anything even from your room? I don't think I would. With this new body, I don't think I'd want anything of my old life, I'd tear down the wall and get out of there. I should have everything I need to survive as long as I find some place to be at peace.

I have strong ties to my family, so I'd probably miss them some. But not much I can do about that now. As for material stuff I'd probably leave it all behind. Once I'd calmed down form the shock I'd probably enjoy my new form to the fullest! Wings alright!

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    I have strong ties to my family, so I'd probably miss them some. But not much I can do about that now. As for material stuff I'd probably leave it all behind. Once I'd calmed down form the shock I'd probably enjoy my new form to the fullest! Wings alright!
    know that peter gabriel song 'solisbury hill'? that's how i would feel...
    you can keep my things, they've come to take me home.....

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    know that peter gabriel song 'solisbury hill'? that's how i would feel...
    you can keep my things, they've come to take me home.....
    That's a good one.

I was thinking of this:

Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand
    I don't care, I'm still free
    You can't take the sky from me

Take me out to the black
    Tell them I ain't comin' back
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

There's no place I can be
    Since I found Serenity
    But you can't take the sky from me...

- The Ballad of Serenity, by Joss Whedon
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos

I'd go "about time!" or "thank Draco! That was a bad dream! Wait a minute...".

Then I probably would realize I transubstantiated in-place, or shadow-swapped bodies somehow. I'd definitely be very happy to finally leave the monkey form in the dustbin, where it belongs.

Then I would probably take inventory, mentally and physically. Barring any other means of egress, I would try to exit through the most structurally-sound method (ie, leave the house standing :P ), find my mate, and never look back.

As for the original post, no, I fear nothing in flight, being most exalted by the sensation as the closest familiar form of locomotion I can imagine.
    Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thread Information