Thread: MOD: Scaffolding Transmutation

Default MOD: Scaffolding Transmutation

Anyone who's played Horizons for any amount of time will be familiar with the scaffolding landscapes that besmirch the Istarian countryside. Many times have the inhabitants lamented on its poor aesthetics and poor performance. Well, wail no more! The solution has arrived.

Introducing: The Scaffolding Transmutation Mod!

What this does is replace the models for all the scaffoldings in the game with either simpler or more pleasing ones. All the scaffolding have been remedied, except planters and the blue/brown tents, which have intentionally been left untouched. For the "new" human tiered structures, only the first unfinished state has been altered - the half-finished mid-construction model has been left intact, because, well, then you'll know it's at least being worked on, and it provides a partial reward to the builder.

All the models used in this mod are existing models in Horizons.

There are three different categories to this mod: The simple, the fancy, and the greenery. In order to use the mod you will need to download the package you desire, then browse the JPEG images to find the style you like the best. Once you have found it, simply enter the corresponding folder and copy the "resources_override" folder there into your Horizons install directory. Usually there will already be a resources_override folder there, so choose to overwrite all files if necessary.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any strangeness you might experience during plot planning with this mod. Though I don't think there will be any, I am currently plotless, so I can't try it. Also, the domain is behaving a little finicky at the moment of writing this, so if the images don't appear, try again a little later.

Now, let's take a look at the styles, shall we?

Simple Style (~700kB)

Those who are primarily concerned with performance should look no further. This package has the simplest model replacements, which should give you the best performance. There are three different flavours to choose from here.

The simplest of them all is the faux empty flavour. It uses an invisible model, so your view won't be obscured by a single thing as you gaze across the apple orchard, but you will still be able to select the structures if you know where to click.

The second flavour is the white flag we all know and love that is used to mark a plot for sale. Could be a tad confusing, for sure, but these flags don't sit on top of a plot marker, and they're a toned down alternative to our next flavour...

... the really tall red flag flavour! These flags are not only red, they're also taller than a half-giant! Those of you who REALLY want to know where there's something to be built, this flavour is for you.

Fancy Schmancy (~2.7MB)

If you'd rather have something a little more fun and amusing, this might be something for you. A collection of furniture and similar such-things, this will be enough to make you believe The Luggage is waiting for you around each bend...

Kicking off the fancy style in a grand manner is.... the bucket. Yes, a crummy, square bucket. Well, at least they look a little cute.

Next up is a sturdy, nice chest. This one will be with you through thick and tin, and possibly even some copper. Legs and consciousness not included.

A bit wider, but not that much better is the common trunk. Perfect for people on the move.

Nobody knows what's in them, or why there are so many of them, but the Istarian Casket has had a sudden population boom in certain settled areas. Maybe the neighbour is trying to get rid of his old aunt on the cheap?

Taking it up a notch (BAM!), the smooth cabinet brings a bit of style into the open air, in genuine.... uh... some-kind-of-wood finish. (Menkure? Help?)

If common furniture and luggage isn't your style, perhaps you'd care to try a lamp! A stack of tall and proud metal lamps will help you find your way in even the darkest Istarian night. No longer will you have to throw away your kenaf tapestries because you couldn't see what you were doing and accidentally stapled them to your shirt.

Finishing off the fancy pack in a grand, loading-dock style are the rugged crates. These boys mean business, and by using them, you can tell the world you do, too.

Greenery Side of Things (~4.4MB)

Any self-respecting, green-fingered garden gnome (or dragon looking to attract one) should take a look at the greenery package. Containing a whooping nine different kinds of plants, this will spruce your hometown up for sure. (Ps, some of these models can be a bit tricky to select.)

First out of the gates is the hardy saguaro cactus. This little bugger will thrive and survive anywhere - from the clodest north to the most sweltering south! Perfect gift for bachelor dragons.

Moving up a step in the cellulose social hierarchy bring us to our friend from the east, the bamboo. This tall, slender fellow will bring a certain exotic feel to the country side.

However, not as exotic as Mister exotic himself. I have no idea what this thing is supposed to be, but it sure is exotic! .... Exotic!

If you feel that not only scaffolding is ugly, but buildings in general, you might wish to try and hide them behind a thick, uh, thicket of elephant grass. Just make sure to bring your machete when you want to finish that snowman decoration.

Is a light sprinkling of greens more your style? Then I'm sure some graceful cat tail is more to your taste! This perky little plant will thrive on milk and cookies. Meow!

Some people are more of a splishy-splashy type, so maybe large lilypod leaves will appeal to them. No, there's no one hiding underneath them in your plot... Honest.

If that is a bit too bare for you, you might consider upgrading to the ultra deluxe lilypod and lotus package. Water sold separate.

Can't afford the lilypod-lotus package deal? No problem! We have a budget version for you - lotus only! Sure to bring some colour and a bright, cheery smile to anyone's face.

Last, but not least, my personal favourite. The voluminous, grand, bushy fern. Did you know these are called "snake bush" in my native tongue?

Well, folks, that's all for this time. Hopefully you'll all be able to find something you like in here. In the future, when I have time, energy and enough cookies, I might sit myself down and compile a more varied greenery set, where each type of scaffolding has its own plant. But, alas, I have no cookies.
    Last edited by tramsan; October 21st, 2007 at 07:14 AM.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Default Re: MOD: Scaffolding Transmutation

Nice. Entertaining post too. Thank you!
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Uhhhh can you replace those models with cocolated-covered gnomes on silver plates? hmmmyamm.....

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

best horizons mod, EVER

thank you so much
    torvos: shadow to chaos shard

Are you waiting with bated breath for Gezsara, so it can have yor plot?

excellent work here Tramsan, and the post itself was a joy to read... i laughed out loud in a few spots..

well done!

"I will take my brush from the warpaint,
    My foot from the warpath
    When you understand
    It is sadness that drives the wrath..."
    Buffalo
    Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Well, folks, that's all for this time. Hopefully you'll all be able to find something you like in here. In the future, when I have time, energy and enough cookies, I might sit myself down and compile a more varied greenery set, where each type of scaffolding has its own plant. But, alas, I have no cookies.
    Wondered if, in your copious spare time and cookies, you had possibly managed to do this?

I have thus far avoided the temptation, however if they all looked like different plants, I'd download in a shot
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Tramsan has no cookies.

Tramslation: No, frankly, it's completely slipped my mind. I'm playing with the crates myself, so I've never really been reminded of it. I'll see if I can make something up sometime this weekend, though!
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

*makes cookies for tramsan*

(Once the revamp goes in, you can have the chocolate chip ones.)

*serves up some klava to go with the cookies*

neat stuff, cool to see different options :-) you know, heck with the hiding scaffolding, i'd like some of those to just decorate my plot with now! mister exotic would fit perfectly just inside the door of the tier IV guildhouse...

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Tramsan has no cookies.

Tramslation: No, frankly, it's completely slipped my mind. I'm playing with the crates myself, so I've never really been reminded of it. I'll see if I can make something up sometime this weekend, though!

Slaps a large, yellow post-it to the forehead...

Thumbs up Re: MOD: Scaffolding Transmutation

This mod has, singlehandedly, increased my frame rate by a factor of four in built-up areas.

*Leaves a dead gnome on Tramsan's doorstep....*

Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

How about one to transmutate built silos into crates?

Hrrmm may have to poke around a bit in this mod and see how you did it hehe

Soraii

Thread Information