Thread: Technology problems update please

Default Technology problems update please

Yes, it's time for the Unity-thread-of-the-day!

However! I'm not simply going to ask for an update, or moan about how I want to be playing again (I really do, though). We know VI want us back, we know they're working on it, we know it's a massive task.

What I want to ask is: what is the current technology problem holding things up?

The Horizons community is fairly unique in being sensible, polite, and intelligent. I know there's a lot of people with database and other computing experience here, so maybe it's something we can help with. Even those without IT knowledge can suggest things and come at problems from a different angle.

Maybe we can help do data-translation work on our characters. Even if VI have to check our work, it's still a metric shed-load less work to be done.

If it's a processing power problem, maybe we can get some sort of distributed computing thing set up so we can use our PCs to crunch stuff.

If it's just the sheer size of the task, well, we can at least commiserate with you and offer moral support.

Come on VI, let us help you help us!

Antonath

Default Re: Technology problems update please

Good questions!

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

hmm, double, for some strange reason
    Last edited by Sigi; October 22nd, 2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: double post

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

What, this doesn't even rate a "moved" note in the general forum?

The modding of Unity posts is starting to annoy me. The only reason we keep having a new Unity thread every day is because someone keeps moving the old ones!

<Grumbles and debates utilizing the Rants forum>

Antonath

Actually, every time someone starts a new thread regarding Unity on the General forum, they are technically violating clearly posted and stated forum rules. New posts made on General are violating two rules. First, they are on a specific topic which has an appropriate forum. And second, they are starting a new thread when there is one in existence already on that topic.

Post your thoughts in the appropriate forum or topic. This allows the conversation that is a thread to flow rather than being derailed by off topic, or new topics, on posts. Likewise when considering starting a new topic, look to see if others have the same thoughts as you and post on the thread they started rather than start a new one.
    There is a thread on the General Forum regarding Unity, and it has been left there purposely for posting further comments. Thus other threads started regarding the same topic (Unity in this case), will continue to be moved to this forum.

Velea,

I understand- and I´m able to accept or live with rules.
    Obviersly you are right, no doubt

B U T

such a proceeding is NOT very sensitive.
    It feels like "doggy, sit down at the place where you belong, back there in the corner"

I know this is not your intention, but it hurts.
    What was of big help and comfort for Unitarians until now, was the solidarity and comfort of the community.
    Beeing pushed aside is the last thing we deserve.
    And for me- it feels like that
    (citing forum rules in this context makes it worse).

PLS try to understand with your heart-ratio often is not the best advisor

uhhh-I´m flaming (seldom enough)^^

And how about that?

We DO NOT have a server named UNITY anymore,
    we do not have a server at all

so why have an extra section in this forum?
    (not ment quite serious- only a possibility to overcome forum rules)

But, Velea, since there IS NO UNITY SHARD, this whole forum is off topic. Moving posts into here from general is actually bringing them off-topic.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

First, I apologize for not noticing that I didn't put in the redirect. That was an "oops" on my part.

Second, to those who say that there isn't a Unity Shard... There still is a Unity community, and thus that community deserves a forum just like the Blight, Chaos and Order communities do. Does it need subtopics like "Marketplace", probably not. However, the community does still exist, even if it is spread over multiple servers or waiting for friends to return.

As far as I'm concerned, this forum will remain even after the data on Unity is available again because MMO communities are NOT the data, they are the people. It is the people, the players, that make up the Unity community that I support, not the bits of 0's and 1's that make up the data.

lol, Velea

I don`t know if you get the point if I translate a German proverb literally:

"You barely got your tail out of the door^^.."

But it was the wrong one- and I guess you know that^^

There's still a Unity thread on general? Guess I missed it - I'll have to go post my points there instead...

As for having a specific forum, shouldn't (for example) the thread about the Dragon language used on Order have been moved somewhere? Not to mention all the bug reports?

Sorry if I'm sounding snippy, but I get peeved at how quickly moderated Unity threads are compared to anyone else's. I know moderating is a thankless task, and we don't have as many mods as we need, etc...

Antonath

The dragon language is used on Chaos too. Bug reports are moved as I see them. And if you have a post that you think is misplaced based on forum rules, please report it to moderators. There's only so much we can do and so much time in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    There is a thread on the General Forum regarding Unity, and it has been left there purposely for posting further comments.
    If it's there... it's not clear and it *needs* to be stickied. I just scanned through manually then with ctrl-f on the General forum and I can't see one thread that looks Unity related.

Even the server merges between Earth, Wind and Ice didn't take this long and some update to answer Antonaths' points would be appreciated. If it is going to take a while, perhaps they could let us know what they're investigating and if any in the community can help. Currently I feel they're all sitting in a dark box ignoring the light of the potential help around.

Rakku

Rakku: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...t=16817&page=2

And no, I won't sticky anything. I hate sticky threads. Icky sticky. In fact, I work hard to keep the number of sticky threads to a minimum on the General forum especially. I hate having to scroll through half a page of stuck threads just to get to what ones are new. Pet peeve, I realize. But I like the nice, clean, look of the forums.

Ta muchies.

Granted the general forum should have stickies limited. However I've posted there to bump the thread and asked for a rename. The current title is as clear as chocolate fudge.

Rakku

The thread linked by Velea is not renamed because the original poster posted a question asking for an update on progress to the whole game... not just Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirewood
    was curious to know what more is in store for us as far as new content and stuff. I know they just released a nice content patch, fixed a bunch of stuff.. saved the game.. etc. What else do "you" have in store for us?
    The topic did divert specifically to Unity issues after a page, but I am keeping it as it is because the original topic is a broad question about the overall game.

Shirewood also reinterated this same point in his last post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shirewood View Post
    Actually, I started this thread just to ask what else they may be working on for Chaos/Order shards. I love reading about new things coming..

We do have a Unity thread up, titled "Concerning Unity", started by Antonath.

Now, as for moderation and the moving of threads:

Irregardless of where the threads may be, the developers and moderators do read them. They do get noticed, and we all do care about how people feel. We're not treating anyone like dogs, or force people to sit down in a corner and be quiet. I know it may feel that way to some, but that is far from the truth.

I think that many of the Unity players feel they are being unfairly targeted by us moderators for moving threads because it seems we are moving every one of them we find. This is not singling anyone out. The problem that we, as moderators, face here is that there are honestly soo many threads started up about Unity that, if we do leave them all in General, then 50 percent of all general posts would be about Unity.

And of those posts, all of them would be about the exact same thing.. "What's up with Unity?" There really does not need to be that many topics.

So we're not singling anyone out. We're just doing our best as moderators to keep the boards in good shape. This is something we do for any and every topic. If anyone may feel singled out, it's more than likely the spammers we've been banning like mad!

And as for the idea of Vi not listening:

Having been in communication with people, I know that Vi is listening, and I know that they are working out a solution for all Unity players. What that solution is, I honestly don't know. I do know the guys at Vi have a plan and are working hard toward getting it successfully implemented.

Even though I am on Order, and not European, I was once without a home (remember the whole EI thing?), and believe me, I know... it sucks! This is why I too am looking forward to a progress update, and why I am hopeful that the solution they have will be to everyones' liking.

As soon as we get word, we'll be jumping at the opportunity to let you all know.

Thanks!

-Menkure

Quote Originally Posted by Menkure View Post
    We do have a Unity thread up, titled "Concerning Unity", started by Antonath.
    Yes, because I dragged it back from page four, after being told we can have no more threads in General because there already was one.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Yes, because I dragged it back from page four, after being told we can have no more threads in General because there already was one.
    Yeah I know Vi are on the case. I'll keep my fingers crossed as always.

Rakku

Thread Information