Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horizons and Mac(Bootcamp/Windows emulator)

Default Horizons and Mac(Bootcamp/Windows emulator)

Just a quick question here, has anyone successfully run Horizons on a Mac using the Windows emulator or Bootcamp? We're about to replace our PC's with Macs and I'd hate to loose Horizons.
    Nobility is not in your blood but in your actions.
    Woushi - Blight
    Dael Trykk - Blight

Default Re: Horizons and Mac(Bootcamp/Windows emulator)

I use Parallels to run Windows, but I also have IE7 on it. When I tried to launch from the website, it crashed the browser (and I did install the ActiveX control) and when I tried to use the Launcher I got some error to do with HTTP SOAP. So I just gave up.

Hi there;

Horizons is a massively complicated program; if any emulator could manage it I'd be amazed. It would be a marvel to see though! Hz's isn't graphically that complicated, but it's all the underlying stuff that might give an emulator a tough time. At least mac's are using the same processors now, so I'd wager it's not impossible.

How come you're loosing pc's in favour of macs? Perhaps some arm-twisting is in order to make whoever it is keep a few pc's.

Rakku

I haven't used Bootcamp per se, but I have successfully run Horizons in Wine, which is sortof (but not really) an emulator for windows apps on linux operating systems. So, I would say it's possible, BUT the problem will be the patcher. The patcher and launcher use a mix of .Net and native windows code. I was unable to get this to work on Linux and I doubt it will until some major progress is done on a .Net implementation for Linux. As I understand it, Mac OS runs on a core that is very similar to Linux core so I would guess that my experience would be typical of what you would get with your Mac.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good dipped in chocolate!" - Can't remember who

SunBaked have you tried Bootcamp? I have attempted to use Parallels, I can patch and the game even starts but at various points in startup it crashes back to IE. As for Bootcamp I don't think you would have a problem because you are not emulating you are starting up in Windows (native). I would be interested to see if that works for you. I may give Bootcamp a try, I'm waiting for the arrival of OS X 10.5, Bootcamp is part of 10.5 I'll try it then. If you have any luck post the info, I'm interested in hearing your results.

Will do Klag. I don't think you're alone there either. Near as I can tell I'm the first to ask and I'm sure the developers would like to view some results too. Good thing I play on Blight already.

Of course the silly season is coming up quick so a purchase of this size will have to wait until the dust settles ... unless I can convince my wife and the bank otherwise.
    Nobility is not in your blood but in your actions.
    Woushi - Blight
    Dael Trykk - Blight

I can verify that Horizons runs just peachy on a MacBook Pro under Bootcamp with XPsp2, this includes running all of the video settings to max, turning on the shadows, enabling the cloth simulation, and enabling ground clutter at about 50% on the slider.

The laptop is running 10.5.1 and it's the 17" with the 8600 video card in it.

I've not tried HZ with Parallels yet, but I don't imagine it'll work.

Western North America, near a fault and far from volcanoes.

I can likewise attest that Horizons runs fine on an iMac using Bootcamp. Better than on our PC with the Creative soundcard, even!

--
    Thorncloud/Order

Thats because bootcamp is just running Windows on Mac hardware. Parallel's doesn't have full direct3d support so won't run it. If you must use a mac, do yourself a favor and get Windows XP and use bootcamp to format the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Thats because bootcamp is just running Windows on Mac hardware. Parallel's doesn't have full direct3d support so won't run it. If you must use a mac, do yourself a favor and get Windows XP and use bootcamp to format the hard drive.
    Well, there's always a potential of Bootcamp not working for something, mostly due to the fact it uses Apple sourced drivers for all of the Mac's hardware. For example, on my Macbook Pro Secondlife's "Windlight" had issues under Bootcamp due to the bad Apple 8600 drivers... One driver download from Nvidia and a hacked .inf fixed that though.

Now if only I could do that for the 8600 driver in OSX...

But yes, Parallels is mostly for non-game software that you don't feel like purchasing again for your Mac...

True apple drivers are still required. Blame that on the proprietary mac motherboard. One major reason I hate apple, but that would be ranting. However, if apple would only loosen its control on their hardware they probably would control a much bigger part of the market. At the very least it would decrease the price for mac hardware, which is at least 150% more than an equilivant PC.

Exactly. I will never buy an apple anything (computer, phone, mp3 player) because they are way more money for the same product. Now if they'd just charge standard prices I'd consider it.

Sunbaked, sorry for the delay, but with the holidays, new job etc. it took a while. But like the others I have no problem playing Horizons on my Mac Mini with Bootcamp, works great, very stable.

I see people saying Parallels won't work (darn it), but has anyone tried any other emulator? Do any of them have the full 3D support needed?

Anyone following news about the next version of Parallels? Has anyone heard if there's a chance that it will have the 3D support?

Reason I ask is because my laptop is on it's last bytes. I'm seriously considering going back to Mac. I'd actually rather run XP on a Mac than Vista on anything. What would be awesome is if there was hope that someday soon-ish I could truly dual-boot (meaning boot both OS's, not having to restart) to run Windows only when I need to play Horizons, and could run MacOS the rest of the time.

Thanks

Definitely don't like Vista, but even if parallels does allow 3d support, using the direct3d wrapper will severely affect performance. I believe parallels tries to change all direct3d calls to openGL calls so the MacOS (or Linux) could implement them. Of course processing code twice will prevent Horizons from running smoothly. Then you must account for the patcher issues.

Running two operating system at the same time if impossible (as far as I know). The different system kernels would conflict over memory usage and simply it would be a mess.

My understanding is that if you use Parallels, you are running two OS's at once. It just runs Windows in emulation mode. So maybe that's not really considered running them both at once, but just acts like that?

Technically its not. Its a virtual machine. Basically it tells the MacOS to act like Windows. By converting all system calls into something that the application is looking for. It also converts any responses from the application into calls that the native operating system can implement.

There is no Windows system files on your computer. All hardware is mapped directly through the virtual machine. Thats why Hardware accelerated support is so difficult. All the Hardware is recreated by the virtual machine so driver support is difficult. Its possible but would eat even more CPU resources. And drivers tend to flaky in their native operating system anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhoggr View Post
    Technically its not. Its a virtual machine. Basically it tells the MacOS to act like Windows. By converting all system calls into something that the application is looking for. It also converts any responses from the application into calls that the native operating system can implement.

There is no Windows system files on your computer. All hardware is mapped directly through the virtual machine. Thats why Hardware accelerated support is so difficult. All the Hardware is recreated by the virtual machine so driver support is difficult. Its possible but would eat even more CPU resources. And drivers tend to flaky in their native operating system anyway.
    I think it's rather safe to say it would be a very slow game in any kind of emulation software. Even my Win98 installation on MS Virtual PC caps out at around the equivalent of a 400mhz pc... ish. That has no 3d hardware support.

Bootcamp may be the way forward if you have to run on a mac.

Rakku

Default Istaria on mac?

hello, i have been away from istaria for a long long time, very long, and i wish to come back, but i switched to mac's and have a macbook pro i use now. i searched everything i could about istaria on a mac, and found nothing. and help?

i dont have bootcamp or any windows app i can use at the moment either

Default Re: Istaria on mac?

The Macbook Pro has an Intel processor (either the Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo), so with bootcamp and Windows XP you can run Istaria.

Istaria will not work in MacOS, but with bootcamp you can boot into Windows and operate it like a PC.

Bootcamp is free, found here: http://www.apple.com/bootcamp

Windows, of course is not free. Note: Windows XP will only be available for a short time. The system builder's OEM version (the only thing not decontinued to date) will only be available until January 2009.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Thread Information