Thread: Ashes of the Phoenix

Post Ashes of the Phoenix

While the memories of the previous night were still fresh in his mind, Tsargoth tries to remember how this all began. He clearly remembered Maekrux taking his paw and moving it under his wing, ripping something free of his scales. Thinking again on Mae’s last words, ‘This is really going to hurt… “, he said, “But everything I have done, I have brought on myself. My family is more important to me than anything. I wish you would have realized that. I would never have disowned you if I did not believe you needed to know-� The magic in the unstable rune he removed then erupted, tearing Maekrux’s body apart. It also broke, removing what was left of him beyond the realm of Istaria. Why did Maekrux do this to himself?

Tsargoth did not go to Maekrux’s lair with the others to pass any judgement… he only wanted an explanation for Mae’s past actions. But now that is impossible. Thinking again to himself, he began to reflect through Maekrux’s final moments. As Maekrux said “’There is no beginning or end, but an infinite sting of events.�

The confrontation began in the dragon’s den when Maekrux was accused of spreading rumors and lies and when it became obvious that more than one dragon had quarrel with him he retreated out of the public’s watchful eyes telling those that wished to pursue this matter that they should come to his terrace. It is there that gathering began, hatchlings, adults, ancients, even a Sslik child, alike in Harton Valley, a group large enough to face the challenges of the Rift. Mae himself jokingly admitted to this gathering was the most he has entertained at once time but this was clearly no laughing matter.

After a brief discussion on which issue should be the first to be addressed it was decided that Aika should began her tale on how she and Maekrux met. Tsargoth, having not ever heard the tale in is entirety, kept is anger in check. He would be given his chance to air his greavances, because that exact moment he knew his daughters were safe. Miiraleuntryr, her brother and his mate, his A’mea at his side and two more cousins were on their way to the gathering on Maekrux’s terrace. It could wait a few more moments. Aika began her tale, “I arrived in Istaria 86 moons ago,� Aika said, “after my parents cast a spell to send my sister and I to safety from Ralgol. I first met a dragon, by the name of Raugainon and he assisted me for a time… he was the first I found and to be honest, we matched quite well and I greatly enjoyed his assistance… we are still in touch now, but we are rather close it was not long after that, while crafting, that Maekrux happened upon Raugainon and I he happened to overhear me speak of my home world and so dropped in to learn more…. I presumr presume… rather.�

Maekrux then responded “When I first met Aika, I knew she was special. I had heard her speak in the dragon den before, and I knew she would have a hard time finding her claws here, especially when so few believed that she was a Star Dragon. But I knew that life intimately, and so yes, I came to find her.�

The story continued for a time with both dragons alternating their perspective on the events they were discussing. Tsargoth remembered how when he first met Aika that only few that accepted her story. True or not it is clear that she had lost her mother, father and sister. Tsargoth decided he believed her tale as she had not given him any reason to do so otherwise. Lost in his own memories of the events Aika was disclosing he snapped back to that moment when Aika stated “you, Maekrux, said you were going to try to ‘crush Ralgol’ from me so I could adapt to life here�. Maekrux denied the words but Aika continued “I feel those words keenly, even now. I would not forget them. you said, ‘Despite my efforts, I have failed to crush the memory of your homeworld from you� Aika admitted to the wounds being deep then spoke of how Ainura found her in depression. Wounded as she felt, she turned to Ainura and Favoran for guidance.

Tsargoth remembered Ainura well. He taught Ainura some of what he knew of crafting and she was a very bright dragonness and quickly reached Tsargoth’s skill. He had feelings for her in those days. Pushing down the memories he returned to the moment and the tale at hand. Progressing with the story Maekrux said “From that time on, Aika stopped spendign as much time with me. She begam solely dedicated to her craft and becoming stronger, never realizing how much I feared for her, never realizing I had somehow hurt her. It was the beginning of the cycle that has led to this point.�

Aika replied “and Ainura offered to adopt me, and as I focused on my craft, it became my passion, and so I became Ainura’s pupil, vowing that I would become as great as a crafter as here. I found comfort from both the craft and Ainura and Favoran’s acceptance of who I was. I did not feel that way from you, because you seemed so determined to make me forget who I was and where I came from.�

At this time Maekrux asked “Tell me Aika: Did you come to hate me at that point? You have claimed you did not replace me, yet you have so admit that you sought acceptance from others instead of facing me.

Aika responded “I became fearful of you, because it felt like you were trying to take something very dear from me. I sought others, who understood and accepted who and what I am, I felt as if you would take everything of my world that I held dear from me and so I withdrew further, seeing as you were still having troubles with Aerioch, until you learned that Ainura and Favoran had adopted me’. Tsargoth also remembered Aerioch. She was a student and a friend and knowing now what he knew he then wondered if Maekrux had tried something with her as well? Believing he would be given his chance to ask, the tale continued.

Maekrux then admitted “I had no idea that Aika had been so disullisioned with her worth in my eyes that she fled from me.�. The discussions drifted for a time when Maekrux said “Let us continue, for our conversation has led away into the problems that began to hound us. When Aika felt she was ready, she began to tackle the Rites. I knew that it was against tradition and that she would be further ostrazied for doing so, and so I tried to warn her, but she would not listen, only stating that she had to do so for many of the reasons she had stated previously. I did not learn that Ainura’s imminent death was a driving factor until later. I told her that if she were to ascend early, she would have to face the concequences of that choice. And she agreed -readily and without question - to whatever concequence that came.She never asked what that concequence might have been.� Tsargoth wondered, did Maekrux not realize that Aika was already above fiftieth season at least in her craft? Did he think a crafter is a lesser dragon than an adventurer?

Aika then questioned “wouldn’t it have been prudent to inform me, as my mentor that some would disown me? as my mentor, I expected you to tell me everything I needed to know, regardless of whether asked or not.�

Maekrux replied “When Favoran and Ainura begame your parents, it became their place to tell you.�

A convenient argument, thought Tsargoth, if he felt he could not be a mentor to Aika and since she had parents why was there no such issue when it came to his own daughter. He thought that Maekrux was simply making an excuse. Aika’s question was legitimate.

Aika commented “if you had directed that to me with the question ‘Why did you choose to do what you did? I could have told you, but you did not offer me that small comfort.�

“It is done.� said Maekrux.

In Tsargoth’s mind Maekrux had no legitimate reason for not telling Aika and by his simple statement of it already being done, it was clear he didn’t want to discuss that particular matter further. Tsargoth believed Maekrux realized his omission was an error but that he was unwilling to admit he had made a mistake.

“you disowned me and dismissed me� responded Aika.

“Or at least, it should be done, but as we can clearly see by the voyuers in attendance, it is not finished. Tell me this, Aika: If I offered to take you back as my niece, right now, would you accept?� questioned Maekrux.

After a moment Aika replied “I would have liked that, but recently, things you have said have cut me deeper. I could have… if you had not spoken such things to me�

At this point Draexiira looked to both Aika, then to Maekrux. and decided to finally speak. “I have heard you equalled her to a Withered Scale. Is this true?� she asked.

Aika and Maekrux both repsonded and together they told the story of the early rites of passage. Aika finally ended the story turning to Maekrux and saying “you finished the story and I specifically said, ‘it is a shame that you compare me to the Withered Scales. your exact words were, ‘it is a shame, but I must.� She was quite clear in her belief that Maekrux compared her to dragons that were corrupted by the Aegis a grave insult indeed, the most foul insult Tsargoth could ever remember hearing. He knew of no dragon that deserved being called such at thing. In his mind, even with all he had done , not even Maekrux deserved to be called such a thing.

Having no further comments on the matter Maekrux responded “Very well. I am a horrible dragon. My heart bleeds and so do so many slip upon my trail of blood. Who else has grieances to air with me?’

The rage building within Tsargoth with Maekrux’s last statement Tsargoth realized that it was his turn to speak but his emotions were too strong. He looked to Miir who then quickly spoke. She questioned Maekrux on his actions “You stated that it was favoran’s and ainuras job to teach their daughter yes? Then why were you teaching my daughter. Why were you guiding her instead of sending her to us. Also.. making advances upon her in an unacceptable fashion as a hatchling.“ She shook with anger.

Tsargoth’s rage was near a point of erruption. His daughters and his whole family mean everything to him. At her young age she did not even understand the meaning of what Maekrux suggested. How could anyone even consider that such a thing was acceptable?

“I’m not sure what you’re referring to?� repsonded Maekrux.

“You know well, inviting her down to your private chambers when she was barely out of the egg.� retorted Miir.

Maekrux replied “perhaps it was a way of judging the level of maturity the hatchling had, a type of guage of her true age. Season alone does not much matter.�

Tsargoth thought about that comment but still said nothing. How could it be that season alone does not much matter for this but when it is about completing one’s rites it suddenly becomes very important. It’s a double standard. Either season matters or it does not. It certainly mattered when he disowned Aika, so how could it not matter with Tsargoth’s daughter’s innocence at stake. Perhaps, he though, Maekrux may truly be worthy of his own insult he used on Aika. He forced the thought away. Anger would not resolve the situation. He wanted answers.

Miiralaeuntryr retorted “Admittance then, that you would take a hatchling out of the egg because their season didn’t matter?�

“It’s not their season, but their age. I had not pegged you for a traditionalist, Miira.� responded Maekrux.

“’Its not tradition, its morals.� Miir replied.

The exchange was harsh but Maekrux finally responded “You don’t know a thing about me, Miiralaeuntryr. Your ignorance is frightening to me and my only regret now is that I did not take a more active role in raising Galdethriel. She will surely suffer under your blind guidance.� Tsargoth was completely stunned by Maekrux’s comment… that he even COULD say such a thing. It’s clear that Maekrux’s defense is to quickly place fault on someone else.

“The only thing she suffered was your mentorship as well as any here can speak for. Even Ulkjen and Merc have seen its effects. Voar amongst them.� retorted Miir.

Tsargoth could see that Maekrux had no explanation for his actions. He wondered how safe Maekrux’s own children were and how safe his still young grand children would be and any others he may have preyed upon. How could Tsargoth tell his old and close friend Aerioch what Maekrux had tried to do?

It was then that matters came to a startling conclusion. Maekrux exclaimed , ‘I am the Blue Phoenix. Now and forever. I die this day, but some day I will be reborn again.� He then took his paw and moved it under his wing, ripping something free of his scales.� The ony reason I have these blasted thigns is because IStaria itself wishes to expell me. This is really going to hurt… But everything I have done, I have brought on myself. My family is more important to me than anything. I wish you would have realized that.�

Aika commented “by doing what you have done now… that shows otherwise�

“I would never have disowned you if I did not believe you needed to know-� were his final words before the magic in the unstable rune erupted, tearing Maekrux’s body apart. Fortunately, the rune also broke, removing what is left of him beyond the realm of Istaria.

Hraefn sighed and her breath became a snarl as soon as the rune broke followed immediately by Aika who roared after Mae, “YOU DAMNED HYPOCRITE!!! I LOVED YOU !!!� But it was already to late for Mae’s body had already disappeared.

The group stood for a while surprised at the drastic action Maekrux took by expelling himself from Istaria. But this was the path he had chosen. He retreated from Istaria, still leaving matters unresolved. Maekrux said he would be reborn again and Tsargoth wondered if would he still be the same when he returned.

Hraefn was the first to speak “A pheonix… A pheonix does not run when the fire is too hot!�

Miiralaeuntryr looked to Mercurius under her wing “This is why, dragons must learn some form of humility lad. Otherwise they betray themselves.� she said.

Draexiira again spoke “There is one other things that has not been brought up due to Aurakvoar’s.. snooze.. I suppose I should speak for Aurak here. Earlier, he found a scroll in which to bind souls, inside of Maekrux’s lair.�

“I have some information as well� added Aika.

“Do you Aika? Care to share.� asked Miir.

“yesterday, Mae summoned me to his terrace, just before Care’s ascension� ,replied Aika,�he said he was trying to use forbidden magics to be able to summon his father back, she he could ‘apologize’ to him… I think we can take that as an admittence to practicing necromantic arts so he could… rather’
    Aika said, “he said he hoped that scroll had been destroyed that ‘perhaps it is better this way he believes it to be destroyed that is all I was able to gather from him without exposing myself as a suspect�.

“Perhaps dabbling into necromancy is what has made him so.. “ included Draexirra as she tried to to think of the correct word.

“diabolical?� Aika responded.

Draexiira agreed, “That’s the word.“

With Maekrux gone the group, disappointed in the lack of resolution to all of the matters of that night, left his terrace knowing one day he would return. Where these matters would go from here would be up to the Blue Phoenix. But we now know the truth… there is no explanation for what he has done. Things will never be as they once were.

Note: Quotes have not been modified. Any error present in the original roleplay will also appear in the story above.

Original log file

Default Re: Ashes of the Phoenix

[OOC: Thank you for posting this and the accompanying log file. ]

[Music I was listening to while reading, maybe others will enjoy it and/or also find it appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMhtQAMGkWY ]
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Ooohhh.... pretty! Thank you.

Ah, its nice to have a two-way view of things. :P And with the original log I can actually catch up on what happened rather than my friends vague description of "there was a fight, and this happened, and Mae killed himself!". XD Not that I blame him. During intense RP some details can be lost, only the biggest events stick to mind.

Anyhoo, great job!

(There are a lot of times I hate Maekrux. This is one of those times. It seems very clear that Mae's actions have not been understood as he wishes them to be, and I'm glad you've put this up Tsar. Unfortunately, things are going to get worse before they get better...

On a side note, this is some of the deepest roleplay I've seen in these lands in a long time. I thank everyone who has and continues to participate in this storyline. Despite feeling like a punching bag, this is a lot of fun ;p)
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

((Yes it will Tsar has a lot of unresolved anger to deal with as well))

(We're waiting for you to hurry up and be leader of the Withered Ageis! All fear Maekrux!

C'mon. How cool would it be for a player to lead the armies of the other side? I wish I had a high level alt to play the bad side) .
    Last edited by Shian; November 4th, 2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Don't post while playing.. you die and create typos.

((Actually, that was Adryl's (the Gifted necromancer Mae killed two years ago) purpose way back when. The fact that Gifted could not be 'evil' put a bit of a hamper on RP. Even more specifically, there was no way except through RP combat to resolve battles, which made things more difficult.

As a result, and due to shrinking player base issues, it never took off really. I wanted him to be a powerful, evil, conniving master of darkness, but in reality, most players just perceived him as a jerk for no reason. I mean, how can you be an Aegis necromancer when you're kill on sight to the zombies you control?! @.@;

But no, Maekrux is not going to become evil, sorry ;p What is at stake, however, is whether or not he will consider his kyn as his extended family or not, and that will determine his relationship with other dragons now and into the future.))
    "Resurgam!"

I'm glad this is up Tsar. There were a couple people who were near kicking themselves for missing it. I have no clue what miir is going to do at this point. A few ideas as planned got thrown out the window, but I should know better than to make plans, it is afterall unscripted completely spontaneous RP. But that's what makes it so awesome!

However, due to a little RP lately with Arzel and her, things may take a further twist.

This is actually kinda fun taking Miir out of her normal character template and seeing what she'll do when she's high strung up on stress. I just hope she doesn't become like this permanently as I'd miss the hatchiness about her that is sometimes there.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

(There are a lot of times I hate Maekrux. This is one of those times. It seems very clear that Mae's actions have not been understood as he wishes them to be, and I'm glad you've put this up Tsar. Unfortunately, things are going to get worse before they get better...
    ((Have you ever read Dragoncharm by Graham Edwards? Well, in it there's an antagonist dragon called Shatter and no offence but Mae kinda reminds me of him lately, especially in your thread "The Blue Phoenix, Part 1" XD Shatter is a bit nuts; he cares for no dragon or any other being, believing that he is the only truly living creature and that the dragons were just put there to be his tools. O.O I dunno, it just kinda struck me that they're scarilly similar when Mae no longer considered anything to be his kyn or worthy of him, kinda like Shatter. Except not crazy. XD ))

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel View Post
    ((Have you ever read Dragoncharm by Graham Edwards? Well, in it there's an antagonist dragon called Shatter and no offence but Mae kinda reminds me of him lately, especially in your thread "The Blue Phoenix, Part 1" XD Shatter is a bit nuts; he cares for no dragon or any other being, believing that he is the only truly living creature and that the dragons were just put there to be his tools. O.O I dunno, it just kinda struck me that they're scarilly similar when Mae no longer considered anything to be his kyn or worthy of him, kinda like Shatter. Except not crazy. XD ))
    Oh!!! Gald I'll have to read that! Thank you. Been looking for new books to read. Or rather, have my other half read and then tell me about.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

((are these closed events...cuz well...I'm in RP withdrawal and this reminds me of the RP I"m used to around here...

Frith was evil once...but she was being driven crazy by a possession...but you CAN do evil - though you're right, you can't actually command the hoardes lol - so I just made myself mad.))

*shakes from RP withdrawals*...must...RP...crack...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

(They're apparently not, Frith, but I haven't been around all that much. We're currently on standby for RL issues, but in the meantime, I hope the ripple doesn't go out of control.)
    "Resurgam!"

Thread Information