Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update, update, update!

Default Re: Update, update, update!

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    See, THAT is what I needed. Now I have something I can take back to the devs and say "Would it be possible to, say, every other week, put out a short project update?" I did see you said weekly, but I'd rather not push my luck, keeping in mind that from what I've read most of the developers are part time, not full time, so I don't want to take that much time out from working. From having done status reports in the past for various jobs, I can say it takes more than just 5 minutes to produce something to go out to the public. Internal, perhaps only 5.

Thank you, Spirit. Thank you very much.
    Always glad to help!

Urgh yes I do remember the delights of 'wording' when it comes to public stuff ... writing internal stuff is much easier, and usually more crude . What is 5 mins for an internal mail turns into an hours planning, changing words, changing them back again while trying to put over the right message for a public release.

Sorry weekly was just an example from my old workplace... here... I'm sure monthly would be more than grand with the content mentioned previously.

Graeme

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Reading Spirit's post (must have been typing at the same time) again leads me to wonder....

Why does development in one area (art) equate to disappointed feelings? Different people do different jobs in any company as I see it. Honestly and sincerely trying to understand your feelings, Spirit, because I don't right now.
    haha well I think the best way I can put it is... it's great to see development happening, but I think it would be better spent getting the player base established before shelling out on more content. That's just my opinion, but it's the reason for my *sigh*-ing. If I was the boss, I would look to securing my 'lost' customers before future developments ... at least a priority on the former. Since I don't see that, and that's how my brain ticks, dissapointment. I wouldn't worry about it now it's 11pm. Strange how the first thing I did this morning, after getting up, was posting on this board... and now, the last thing I do before sleep is posting on this board! That's just too bizarre so I'm gonna force some HL2 on myself.
    Last edited by Spirit; November 5th, 2007 at 09:57 PM.

I don't know if anyone posting here actually read the artist request post... The post was asking for folks that wanted to be "interns" Unpaid ones at that... This quest to get folks working on repairing some of the graphical nuances of the game is quite needed, hence the request for folks that know what they are doing. I am quite sure that to get someone to work on the Database issue is more then just requesting for folks that can modify some art assets... it would require some greater technical knowledge of how databases work and how to possibly reformat the data gleaned from one database and pushing it into another one.. without messing it up... Possibly 10's of thousands of individuals items.. merging with 10's of thousands of others items and not causing any problems with the database.

Art assets are dealt with individually and can therefore be issued out to folks around the globe for their perusal and adjustments if needed... and many many of the assets I'm sure can be cleaned up a tad... I would imagine those current ancient models could use a hand from reading the qualms that the dragon folks have with them currently.

It would have been more then wonderful if a working solution for the Unity database was already in place, but that just isn't the case. I do not envy the person(s) that have been assigned the task to bring forth a working solution to this issue, I'm sure that there have been some players in the past that could probably work towards an amiable solution for all, but Alas... some of them folks are well in the past, perhaps never to return. I truly hope that VI is able to come up with a solution soon. Wouldn't it be a wonderful Christmas present to all the Unitarians to be able to get to be able to play their characters once again...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

I do not envy the person(s) that have been assigned the task to bring forth a working solution to this issue
    Yes, database conversion is one of the most awful / requiring no mistake and long activities to do.

I worked from 1999 to 2005 on that niche (Informix, Oracle, DB2, MySqL, PostGress and file based databases), it was quite challenging.
    Expecially since those were a para-military company and sometimes the conversions were about 10,000,000+ records and done on live, without backup (they could only shut down the servers on 26th of December of a given year).
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thread Information