Thread: An explanation of chat channels (proposal)

Default An explanation of chat channels (proposal)

introduction

The purpose of this thread is to lay out a set of ideas about how the game-mechanic of chat channels can translate into roleplay, and to contain any alternative or additional ideas others may have on the subject.

I've tried to concoct something that is plausible within and appropriate to the lore of Istaria. If I've failed in that at any point, please let me know, even if you don't have a better solution.

I also hope that these concepts will be extensible enough to be flexed and/or elaborated upon.

the nature of channels

Special channels of Energy magic flow through our realm, the Prime, due to the Ritual of Everlasting Life which "brought forth a subtle, yet all-encompassing element of the Realm of Energy on to the Prime itself. This element reacted to the strong infestation of the Realm of Blight upon the world by permeating the world's essence with a mix of energy and life magic. This in turn triggered a potential for change; not everyone has been affected by the Ritual."ยน The Gifted, their Gift a product of the Life aspect of the Ritual, thus sharing origin with the channels to some extent, are the only ones who are able to sense and shape these magical channels.

how Gifted interact with the channels

The Gifted have long used the channels as a means of communication. The advantages of this practice over plain speech is that channels transcend physical location and distance, allowing conversations to occur between people scattered across Istaria. It is also possible to speak privately with a specific individual or a select group via a channel.

- joining and creating

The channels are sympathetic to the will of Gifted individuals and groups, at varying levels of consciousness. Sometimes the minds of Gifted converge on a particular channel by instinct, and sometimes it is a deliberate act to seek out a channel that has come to represent a certain idea or environment. Unused channels can also be harnessed with a suggestion of a subject or a name that does not correspond to any extant channel, thus creating a new platform upon which to communicate.

When the last occupant of a channel goes to sleep, the channel reverts to its usual dormant, featureless state. The next time one of its former occupants awakens, it is quickly formed back into what that occupant expects.

Part of the process of founding a guild is to harness a channel for the guild's use. This channel, rather than being cyclically captured, released, and so on, is permanently anchored to the particular guild using an Energy-imbued trinket carved with a rune unique to the guild. If the guild is disbanded, the trinket is to be destroyed.

- molding the perceptual environment

The influence that can be exerted on the content of a channel can be divided into two types: environment and action.

Since Istarians are accustomed to the physical world, they tend to project physical concepts into channels, from simple things like ground, walls, forests, buildings, lairs, etc. to more in-depth things like temperature, weather, and elements of where they are and what they're doing physically. Or even where they would like to be and what they want to do. Thus, what constitutes the environment perceived by the inhabitants of a channel can change rapidly and without notice in an almost dreamlike manner.

A channel can be said to be an indirect link between minds, as the concepts projected by one person affect what is perceived by those in the same channel as them. If a human throws a snowball at an elf, the elf's senses will respond just as if it were occurring in the physical world - they might manage to dodge, in which case they will feel as if they have moved suddenly, or they might be hit by the snowball, in which case they will feel cold and wet where the snowball would've hit them. Meanwhile, the dwarf watching will hear the crunch of the imagined snowball shattering against whatever it hit. The mind is a powerful thing, capable of translating seemingly simple suggestions into full-featured, compelling sensory constructs. But/ergo, the mind can be fooled.

In general, one can do no more in a channel's environment than they could physically. The limitations of their body remain, because their mind is mostly convinced they are in a real space where everything it takes for granted still applies. Conceivably, this could be overcome with sufficient concentration, willpower, and mindset.

knowledge of the channels among non-Gifted

Since non-Gifted cannot sense, access, or control channels, there is some debate among scholars as to the nature and even existence of them. Some conspiracy-theorists suggest that, if the channels do indeed exist, they are a concoction of the Withered Aegis intended to link together and dominate the valuable Gifted.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Default Re: An explanation of chat channels (proposal)

Oooh very well thought out! I like!

Modifying these...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    The Gifted, their Gift a product of the Life aspect of the Ritual, thus sharing origin with the channels to some extent, are the only ones who are able to sense and shape these magical channels.
    non-Gifted cannot sense, access, or control channels
    ...with this:
    My explanation of chat channels states that only the Gifted can access them. But, firstly, that explanation is not official and no one is obligated to adhere to it. Secondly, I'm probably going to amend it to say that, since the Ritual of Everlasting Life's effects are partially Energy and partially Life, the effects are not always complete and may lean strongly or entirely to one or the other. This would mean that a character can lack the aspect of the Gift that grants immortality, but still be able to use channels to some extent.

Maybe your character can't use them at all. Maybe they have full use. Maybe they can access, but not speak or act within. Maybe they can't kick others out or promote others' power over the channel. Maybe some channels and not others, randomly or dependent on specific factors. Maybe only when they're in miscellaneous contact with Energy, i.e. by casting Energy spells or having a buff to Energy-something on them.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

A very satisfying explanation, I was wondering myself how that chat channels could be explained

I am Dragon, hear me RAWR!!!!!

Thread Information