Thread: Son of the Phoenix

Default Son of the Phoenix

OOC: Its probably about time that I added my 2¢ to this story. It starts back after Carenath's ascention. When I found out that Maekrux ended his life. My memory is rather bad, and I only have the chatlog of the conversation between Carenath-Ziroth and Maekrux yesterday, so, events are not entirely accurate, some bits may have been left out inintentionally.. and other errors are present, but this is what I remember.

IC: (The day after the ascention - finding out)
    I woke up the morning after my first flights as an adult, Sha'to, the biped friend of Tyroth, kindly made me a Steel Rune Stylus which I needed to complete the Khutit form quest. I had heard from Ulkjen, a Sslik child, but a good friend of my Guild Master, that my A'meo Maekrux took his own life after an argument that ensued on the terrace of his Lair as I slept. So I returned to the lair, to find blood on the terrace, and shattered Runes.

Unsure what to make of it, I went looking for the rest of the family. I found my nephew Ausixen, and my brother Nidhogg in Dralk, so I headed there to tell them what I just discovered.

Niddhogg mind-spoke with Miira and relayed what she said to me. She said that Maekrux had called the meeting, said who had attended, and said that Maekrux had taken his own life. That he removed the Runes that bound him here, and he was torn appart.

I already held a bitter dislike of Miira and didnt trust her one bit, so I didnt accept what she had said through Nid, he told me to talk to others of Tsargoth's family and ask them.

(the next day - confronting Gald, Merc and Ski)
    Still seeking to find out the truth of what happened to his father, he sees that Galdethriel is awake, I ask her if I can meet her, to speak to her about what happened, she agrees, so I fly to out to meet her. She was with Mercurius and Skyliark at Granitefall. I asked her to tell me what happened, she told me the same thing that Miiralaeuntryr had said, that he took his own life. I fought back a growl, blasphemy I thought, how could these two, two that I once considered family say such horrible things about my father.. I told them that I disliked Miira, which enlisted a harsh response from Skylairk. I needed time to think about what they were telling me.. it didnt make sence.. it wasnt like my father.. I would have to talk to others.

(that night - Maekrux returns)
    As I was sitting on the mountain peak, thinking to myself, pondering the events, Maekrux called me, he was alive.. he had come back. He asked me to meet him in Cloud's Reach, Chioxin's lair in Harton. I ported to Harton, and flew to the lair to find him inside, alive and well. We discussed the previous events, and began to reconstruct things. Maekrux had concluded that others conspired to murder him, he seemed to blame Aika and Miiralaeuntryr and others who were present at the time. I couldnt accept this so easily, so I told my father, that I would continue my questions, and get to the truth of what happened. He told me, to stay out of this "war", that he did not want his family to get involved. This wasnt a problem for me, so I left to return to Heather, to snooze on the roof of the shrine where Aika and Hraefn often gather.

(a day or so later - Speaking to Tsargoth)
    Seeing Tsargoth had awoken, busy as usual with guild business, I mind-spoke to him to ask him what had happened, still not trusting Miira or the hatchlings version of events, suspecting that Miira had corrupted them. Tsargoth, my trusted friend, confirmed what I had heard, to my dismay. Maekrux had indeed done this to himself, I was heartbroken, betrayed, my own father had rather taken his own life, then confront his mistakes and problems like an honourable soul. He couldnt believe it. He still loved his father, but, yet, he felt like his trust and respect had been misplaced. But he couldnt just disown him, no, it would have to wait to see what happened, perhaps there was a way to save face.

(that night, I think - Zexoin returns)
    Zexoin, though not related to Carenath directly, was like an uncle to him, he himself, a son of his Guild Master of whom he had grown close too since Zexoin had introduced him to me a few weeks before. I flew to Zexoin's lair to talk to her about the events that had happened, hoping to get some much needed advice on what to do, he told me, that whatever happened, he would be there for me.

(the next day - Warning the others)
    The next day, I decided, that I had to betray my own father, and warn my other family of his intentions and his return. I found Mercurius and he told me that Shian, himself and Galdethriel had ventured to Harton, to attune. I was almost furious, but I held my temper back.. I knew Maekrux had returned, and I was fearful of what he would do to them if he had caught them, I shifted about uneasily still wrestling with my concionce, deciding if I should come forth or not, but this action told me I had to. "Maekrux has returned" I told him, "He came back a few days ago, and called me, he blames those at the gathering, particularly Miira and Aika, for his murder".
    Merc insisted that he tell everyone. I told him we have to be careful about this, that I was taking a risk in just telling him, that Mae may well come after me for betraying his trust. I told him I would warn the rest of the family, and seeing that Tsargoth was awake, I set out to Cresent to warn him.

At Cresent, I told Tsargoth what I had said to Mercurius, and he told me it would be best if I was not seen with him, that it may draw Maekrux's suspictions, and that it may be best that I lie low in my Lair till events blow over. But I am not a dragon to hide away like that. I returned to Zexoin's lair to let him know about Maekrux, he told me he was thankful, and that he and the family, would protect me, if Maekrux felt a need to seek vengence on me too when he finds out. I thanked him, but I knew I also had the protection of my guild.

~ some days pass from then and now ~

Default Re: Son of the Phoenix

(confronting the blue phoenix)
    “What is it you need, son?” he asked. I had come here to confront him, I had already lost all respect I held for him after hearing the truth from several trusted dragons.

“This was the most convenient spot we could meet. I found out the truth behind what happened on your terrace. But I don’t believe you will accept it. You were not murdered by your own kin,” I told him straight and calm.

“How did you come to this conclusion?” he queried, I suspected he was taken aback by this so I explained to him:

“By speaking to many, trusted friends. Friends I have known, for longer then you have known me. They were at this, gathering. They told me what they witnessed, which is consistent to what you remember. Only.. they did not approach you,”

“So you do not believe me?” he demanded

Annoyed that he could be so sure of events, that he had no memory of, i replied “Ask yourself, what you remember, how can you know for certain, that you were killed by your own kin. The process, robbed you of some of your own memories, just as I lost some of mine, when I died for the first, of many times in my life. You cannot be certain you were murdered. I am not saying I don’t believe you, per se, I am saying, you do not have all the facts,” I argued “Therefore, to take part, on acts of justice, so blindly, would be.. improper, you would risk making things worse for yourself, and me by extension.”

He shook his head. “Perhaps. But the act of murder was one I never planned on taking personal justice for.”

“Draexiira told me the last things you said: The only reason I have these blasted things, is because Istaria itself wishes to expel me. This is really going to hurt. But everything I have done, I have brought on myself. My family is more important to me than anything, I wish you would have realized that. You said this to Aika. She still loved you, right up until the point... you tore the runes from your own body. You killed yourself, did this to yourself. Miira cannot manipulate others so well.” I continued.

“It wasn't her I believe manipulating,” he spat, he thought for a moment before asking “Carenath, you're worried about me, aren't you?”

I ignored his question and continued “Nor can Aika, one I have a lot of respect for. She had to earn my respect, the hard way, like everyone else. And she earned it.” I told him. Of course, I wasnt insinuating anything about Mae not having earned my respect, but stressing the point, that Aika had earned my respect, and my friendship, while Maekrux seemingly thought of her as nothing but a withered scale. And through his actions, lost my faith and respect.

“Likewise, Mercurious, Galdethriel, Zexoin, they are all family to me.” I told him.

He tilted his head and asked "What are you saying?”

I told him firmly “I am saying, I wont let you harm them. They did not wrong you that day. You told me once, your biggest downfall, is your pride.”
    Maekrux looked stunned, as if he could not believe he was hearing this from his son.

Finally, he murmured, “So, I see... Even my own family turns against me.”

“I have not turned against you. I am trying to save you,” Carenath said. “If you cannot see that...”

“Do you truly think you can save me by killing me?” he demanded.
    I tilted my head, confused as to what he was trying to say, I had no hand in his death, I was actually asleep at the time, much to my annoyance.
    “Why would I kill you? I love you. Others are not out for your blood as you seem to believe.” I quizzed.. the thing is, I did love him as a father..

“You seek to kill me the same way Aika did...” he said. what was he on about though, Aika never killed him in the first place, she bore him no ill will, she still loves him, just as I do. So I had to ask:
    “How did she kill you again, refresh my memory".

Why couldnt he just tell me, instead he just just gave me this cryptic response:
    “I didn't choose this chamber by accident, Carenath. This was where Aika adopted me. I care about her, even now. I suppose I shouldn't, given that she's killed me twice now, but I suppose I'll always be a bleeding heart. I've had too much practice.”

I interrupted with a snarl, “She loves you still. I know this for a fact. If you would only swallow a hefty bite of your own pride, you could sort this”.

“Aika chose her other family over me. She broke my bleeding heart and killed me that day.” He paused a moment, staring at the blue crystals that glistened there. “She could not possibly love me still, Carenath. Even if she did not kill me, she believes I stand for everything that seeks to change her and break her.” I never was fully aware of the whole story between them both, she did not have time to tell me fully the last time I spoke to her, and I did not wish to pressure her on it, she had been hurt, and I didnt want to cause her any more pain. But I know what I felt from her, and I knew she still cared about him, but he kept pushing her away, and hurting her.

“She STILL LOVES YOU. I can feel it from her. I can feel it in her own heart,” I repeated, exasperated at his unwillingness to realise what I was telling him was true.

“You see me as doing this out of pride, Carenath. It is true - I am prideful. But it is not my greatest weakness. It is grief. Fearing to act. The same thing that plagues Aika.” Hmm, if that is true, then perhaps there is hope for them.. if only he can swallow his **** male dragon pride.

I gave a sigh before blurting out, “I told Tsargoth, Zexoin, Merc, Aika and Draexiira of your return. They had to know you were back, I feared for their safety, they are my family too.” I knew this bit would sting, this fact would hurt him more then anything else, he would see this as a betrayal on my part. Ironic considering that I already felt betrayed by him in the first place.

Maekrux was stunned by what I said, he took a moment before saying something “I see... so you betrayed my trust?” I shook my head, but he interrupted “Even if you are doing it for the right reasons, Carenath, you still betrayed my trust...”

I sighed before telling him my reasons “I could not, in good concience, keep them in the dark, while you planned to act against them. You have to trust me on this one. For once, in your many years, trust me.” I could see from his reaction, that what I had done, had really hurt him.

He hung his head lower to the ground and sighed, “You must do what you must, Carenath. I would expect no less from you.” I knew that I had hurt him deeply, and I did feel a guilty for it, but I had to tell him the truth. It would be better he heard it from me, then from the gossiping winds.

“Nothing good will come, if you act against them. Things will only grow worse, I am certain of that, as certain as I am, that you still love me. I am not now, nor will I, have a hand in your death. Nor will Aika. Nor will those I have told.” I told him warmly, trying to reassure my father, that things can be done better, if he is prepared to listen to me, and do what has to be done, even if he doesnt like it.

“What then do you believe I should do? Just turn my tail up and let them mount me?” he demanded. I just shook my head a little and looked back at him before replying.

“And you have the wrong end of the biped. Your pride got you into this. Somehow.. you have been reborn here... changed. How so? I am not certain, I would have to speak again to Valiturus, and ask him about this Runic magic.. unless you will tell me what you know of it. I don’t want to lose you. But I always follow my heart. You raised me well indeed. I don’t know how I could patch things up between you and Aika.. unless you can swallow your pride, and admit your mistakes. The two of you, are as stubborn as ssliks.” In my heart, I never truely felt that I was Maekrux son, I always felt like he never understood me, understood what I felt. Ever since Zexoin introduced me to his father, I felt like he understood me better then Mae could. He and I grew closer, and I began to drift appart from Maekrux as a result.

“Have I changed, or has your viewpoint changed? Is the story they told true, or is it as I have felt it?" he asked "I made many mistakes regarding Aika, Carenath.” he told me.

I answered his questions, and told him what I felt he had to do “You have indeed changed.. something has indeed happened to you.. but regarding Aika.. it is time to stop running from those mistakes. You need to... to coin a biped phrase... mend the bridges. Stop running.”

“I think you are right.” Hmm, was he being sincere, or was he just telling me what I wanted to here, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Recalling what Draexiira had told me earlier at the meeting I quizzed Maekrux “Draexiira has told me, you dabbled in necromancy.. that Aurak found a scroll in your lair.. care to tell me?”

“I did not dabble in necromancy, actually. I hadn't gotten around to it... I had sought to speak to my father for advice and to beg his forgiveness. Unfortunately, Aurak stole the scroll and I will never be able to do so.”
    Now I didnt trust, nor had I any respect for Aurakvoar, he was a most unpleasent individual that I had little time for, and I was rather angry that he had the gall to violate the privacy of another's lair, to vandalise it and cause damage to another's property, was most dishonorable, no matter what the intentions. Even so, what Maekrux was considering, was no better, dabbling in forbidden arts.

“I suppose it did not occur to you, that there are other ways to do this. Without attempting necromancy.” I said, an obvious bluff, I didnt know, but I knew someone that might.

“I suppose there reaches a point in a son's life when he no longer needs a father.” He said, sounding broken and defeated.

Expecting him to outright disown me, I replied softly “Aye, that time, was always on the horizon. But I told you once, and I will tell you again, two things. 1. I promised you, as long as you are here, I will always be. 2. I told you, I will always turn to you when I need advice. You are, many years and seasons above me. I would always consider your wisdom. But, on occasion, there also comes a time, when a father must learn from his son. Unless you believe that I have hurt you too, that I will, somehow.. betray you.. unless you outright, disown me. You will always be my father. And I will, till the day I die, love you now and always.” In my heart, I had already disowned him, but I still cared about him.

“You already have hurt me, Carenath.” he said, resting his chin on my muzzle “But I understand why. I will always be your father, Carenath. I will consider what you have told me, and do my own research. Perhaps I need not seek justice for my murder.” I sighed softly, while the events of recent, served as a catalyst, they were not the only reason for my "betrayal", I had already grown distant from him, I could not help but find it ironic, the similarity of these events, to the story that I had heard about him and Aika. How things ended up happening as they did before.

“A wise person once told me, sometimes, you have to be cruel, to be kind and please do. I wish I had been there, I would have seen it with my own eyes. Also consider this, the actions you take, bear on your family as well. Just as the actions I take, reflect on you.” I said, hoping to save face, and end the meeting on better terms. I really hope he will try and set things right with Aika, but I dont expect much.

“I will. Please leave my, son. I have much to deal with now.” he said softly

“Just remember what I said. And take care of yourself.” and I left, to return to the gathering in the town square.

Thread Information