Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizons on Linux via Wine

Default Horizons on Linux via Wine

This guide is written especially for very new Linux users, i.e. people who've just installed it in a dual-boot alongside Vista so they can play Horizons reliably. So hopefully it will be sufficient for a wide range of people.

This procedure is much easier than the length of this post may make it seem at first glance. I've simply tried to cover every detail.

"home folder" = /home/yourname

Replace all instances of "yourname" with your Linux username.

--------------------------
    Obtaining and setting up Wine

1. Download Wine. I recommend skipping binaries and downloading the source. Don't worry, source compilation is very easy, as you will see. For the sake of clarity in future instructions, please save the file to your desktop ( /home/yourname/Desktop ).

2. Unpack the file you've just downloaded.

3. Go to winehq.org's Recommended Packages list and use your package management software to search for and download+install the packages that are recommended for your particular distribution (version) of Linux. If automatic scripts to do so are available for your distro, I encourage you to use them, thus saving time.

4. Open the terminal and navigate to the Wine folder that you unpacked earlier. The command looks something like this:
    Code:
    cd /home/yourname/Desktop/wine-0.9.49
    5. Use this command:
    Code:
    ./configure
    If it stops and displays an error about something not found, search for and download+install the missing package via your package manager. Then run the command again. Wash, rinse, and repeat for any further errors.

6. Once ./configure has completed successfully, use this command:
    Code:
    make depend && make
    This will take a while, as Wine is now being compiled from source in preparation for installation. Browse websites, read a book, go get lunch, whatever.

7. Once that is complete, use this if you are logged in as root:
    Code:
    make install
    Use this if you are using a distro that uses "sudo" instead of allowing access to the root user account, i.e. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.:
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Use this otherwise:
    Code:
    su root
    make install
    Configuring Wine for Horizons

8. When "make install" has completed, Wine has been installed. Now for the tiniest bit of configuration. Once again in the terminal:
    Code:
    winecfg
    Go to the Applications tab of the window that has come up and select Windows 98. Close the window. From here on you won't need the terminal, so you can close that too if you want to.
    You may want to return to winecfg later to tweak the settings available therein.

Configuring Horizons for Wine

9. On Windows, log into and out of the character you'll want to play on Linux.

10. Copy your full installation of Horizons from wherever it was when you were running it on Windows, to /home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (tip: when typing filepaths in the terminal, spaces must be "escaped" with a preceding backslash, i.e. "Program Files" needs to be typed as "Program\ Files"). I hope you kept it, because Horizons' installer supposedly doesn't work in Wine and I don't know anything about attempting to make it work. You could try running the installer in a Windows virtualisation.

11. In the resulting Horizons folder, go into the prefs folder, open ClientPrefs_Launch.def, and change these lines:
    Code:
    bool requireCommandLineParams = true >> bool requireCommandLineParams = false
    string userName = "********" >> string userName = "[email protected]"
    string password = "********" >> string password = "yourpassword"
    bool performSystemCheck = true >> bool performSystemCheck = false
    I'm not entirely sure which lines need to be altered to change the character logged into, hence step nine. If anyone can supply this information, I welcome them to post here.

12. Save the modified ClientPrefs_Launch.def, and make an extra copy of it somewhere (for the sake of clarity in future instructions, save it to your home folder).

13. Create a file somewhere (doesn't matter where, but you should put it where you'd want a shortcut to launch Horizons) and name it launch-horizons.sh (or anything really, as long as it ends in .sh).

14. Open the newly-created file and put this in it, approximately:
    Code:
    cp /home/yourname/ClientPrefs_Launch.def /home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Horizons/prefs/ClientPrefs_Launch.def

cd /home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Horizons

wine horizons.exe
    15. Alter the file's permissions so that it is executable. The procedure to do this may vary from distro to distro, desktop environment to desktop environment, but in any case it'll probably be fairly simple and bear a similarity to the familiar Windows act of right-clicking a file, selecting Properties, and exploring tabs.

16. Double-clicking on the file should now start Horizons.

Horizons' page in the Wine AppDB
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Default Re: Horizons on Linux via Wine

Hi,

Many thanks for that guide / explanation. I've tried it and it works so far . But Horizons runs quite slow with wine (around 6-8fps) Are there some tricks or hints to make it (a bit) faster?

Some System informations:

Ubuntu Linux 7.04 (with Gnome as Window Manager)
    Wine 0.9.33 (I know there is a newer Version available ... But the Synaptic Package Managment offers only this older version)
    Asus P7N8X Mainboard
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 (with 256MB Ram)
    Soundcard and Network onboard

Greetings,
    MurphyFox
    --
    MurphyFox_wind, the chubby Ancient Helian Dragon
    lvl100 Dragon Adventurer, lvl100 Dragon Crafter
    Soliferus, the blackfurred Craft Saris:
    lvl43 Cleric, lvl56 Mason, lvl46 Enchanter, lvl57 Blacksmith, lvl 64 Fitter, lvl22 Weaver, lvl 24 Scholar, lvl 35 Carpenter, lvl31 Outfitter, lvl15 Confectioner

Sometimes a different version of Wine produces better results in terms of performance. For example, Ryzom (another MMORPG) ran better on 0.9.17 or 0.9.27 than the version that was latest at the time. Unfortunately I can't guess which version would be best for Horizons.

Another option is to try running it on Cedega, but that's commercial software.

There's probably more possibilities I don't know of.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

It's great to see and I'm always happy when Horizons is opened to a new audience... however I'm confuzzled as to why, if you had Vista (which I appreciate Horizons won't behave on), you would rather grapple with Linux than a dual boot of xp? It is very possible to install xp, even if your machine had Vista first.

On the right configuration, are there advantages to running it on Linux over Xp? (especially the leaky memory situation lol)

Rakku

Mostly this is just in case someone who has Vista somehow doesn't have access to XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    On the right configuration, are there advantages to running it on Linux over Xp? (especially the leaky memory situation lol)
    As far as I know, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Mostly this is just in case someone who has Vista somehow doesn't have access to XP.
    Fair point.

Thank you!

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    I'm not entirely sure which lines need to be altered to change the character logged into, hence step nine. If anyone can supply this information, I welcome them to post here.
    To get around this problem I use the Java Launcher of Morghus. I added support for wine and cedega to it. With this you can launch any char, patch the game and create new characters without using windows or editing pref files.

If anyone is interested => You can get it from http://horizons.oceth.net/

Default How can play Istaria in Linux

How can play Istaria in Linux

Default Re: How can play Istaria in Linux

I think it is the Help section that talks about using Wine. If you do a search you should find the threads. There is not that many on the subject.

Unfortunately that doesnt work for me. It will still load the game but I am stuck staring at the sky. and using the java launcher still gives me already connected error

Actually, that response was an error. I was trying to reply to your other post with the link to this one.

I can't help you with Linux. This is the only thread I recall ever seeing about getting Horizons to run on it. There might be another floating around, but that one would probably be a few years old instead of a few months.

My suggestion would actually be to get yourself a copy of XP and run it from something that is known to work and is officially supported.

I can play fine on XP and do alot. I have dual boot so its not that bad to reboot to xp when i wanna play, I was just hopeing to get it working so I didnt have to.

Thanx for the help though

Well Oceth was able to get my java launcher working great. I had not installed the SUN jre So now that is working I am still getting a black screen after the initial loading screen. I turned off the desktop effects in ubuntu and that gave me a white screen after the initial load screen. any suggestions on this ?

Does this mean there is a system memory error that might be stopping the game from loading ?
    Screenshot-System Check.png

Have you installed 3D drivers?

Also, have you made this change to ClientPrefs_Launch.def in Horizons' prefs folder?
    Code:
    bool performSystemCheck = false
    If you have a Creative soundcard, is sound enabled or disabled in winecfg?

3D = yes. I use compiz and that requires 3d
    Creative audigy 2zs I think its enabled in wine but when i use test sound in wine config no sound
    bool performSystemCheck = false
    thats set now it wasnt before but still not working.

Audigy 2 sound cards are the worst sound cards you could have ever gotten. I'm not surprised it's giving you trouble. At least it isn't SCREECHING at you...

Ya its like 3 years old too. I upgrade the computer alot but i never buy the sound card lol. Im gonna try a new one and see if that helps any. Its giving me some regular sound issues also

Quote Originally Posted by Kumu Honua View Post
    Audigy 2 sound cards are the worst sound cards you could have ever gotten. I'm not surprised it's giving you trouble. At least it isn't SCREECHING at you...
    lol I had mine for 5 years and I never had a problem... it's still in use on my dad's machine. It's the *other* boards, in my laptop for example, that give me grief!! There was one dodgy driver release from Creative, for Windows anyway, which was quickly replaced but overall the sound (especially the eax) is purrrrrfect.

Is it just that the audigy is badly supported on Linux?

Rakku

Thread Information