Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making furniture... is it possible?

Default Making furniture... is it possible?

I was curious to know if it is possible to build furniture for player houses, Ã** la Everquest2? I am not sure you can, so I am asking!

If not, It would be an interesting addition to the game, to make some variety in houses.

Thanks,
    Xarias (Order server)
    8 Cleric/ 12 Outfitter

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Making furniture... is it possible?

nope, so far no furniture or other artsy stuff for the houses....i wouldn't mind them either!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Yea... that would be nice to be able to do.. have a builder of household goodies... There are some "examples" of what might be available sometime spread about the realm.. some in Bristugo.. and a couple in Tazoon.. well.. those are the ones that come to mind anyway..

I'm sure it will come.. but have to get some of the graphical lag outta the way before the whole thing will be feasible...
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Exampleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees:

But with the current Engine you would lag the hell out of you because it loads EVERYTHING in your see range, also objects in houses.

*dissapears in a dust explosion*
    Last edited by Takora Drakan; November 27th, 2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: moo!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

I might be wrong, but I think part of the problem is getting buildings to properly occlude items inside them. Takora is right, walking next to a fully furnished house would be like hitting quicksand.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Yea.. LO.. thats what they had stated before.. and If I remember correct.. someone had stated that some of the Newer buildings had that occlusion set up properly but most of the buildings were going to have to be modified with using the "new technology" to make the occlusions work properly... Please don't ask me to reference it.. cuz I think that was in one of the IRC logs that I no longer have as the old computer went kaput...

The thing that's needed for furniture is called portals. No, not Orange Box Portals. What portals mean in 3d programming is that you define a portal - say, a door - and then two visibility areas connected to that portal - say, indoors and outdoors. A character who is outdoors won't need to load or render anything that is indoors, and vice versa. This is non-trivial, since it requires big revisions both to code and art, which is why we haven't seen it yet, and really shouldn't be holding our breaths either.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    The thing that's needed for furniture is called portals. No, not Orange Box Portals. What portals mean in 3d programming is that you define a portal - say, a door - and then two visibility areas connected to that portal - say, indoors and outdoors. A character who is outdoors won't need to load or render anything that is indoors, and vice versa. This is non-trivial, since it requires big revisions both to code and art, which is why we haven't seen it yet, and really shouldn't be holding our breaths either.
    Isn't that how silos work, ok you dont enter them but you do need to open them up, trouble is it wouldn't be seamless and would be like EQ2/LoTR etc the only feasible way to add furniture atm is when the buildings are finished, like the libraries. (eg as part of the building)

In beta and for a long time after furniture was available in folders within the Horizons main folder but was never implimented.

Try building a silo and placing the last piece when you are standing in it, you end up nowhere on the player list
    Last edited by Gorek; November 27th, 2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistooks

No, EQ2 is totally instanced housing. You have to exit the outside world in order to get to the housing. Portals would be more like SWG- They exist in the world, but the inside of the house would not load until you enter the house/door.

I liked the way SWG housing worked... the stuff wouldn't load till you got right next to the open door.. Yes.. it would load if you were outside... but only if the door was open, and only if you had a clear viewing angle to the objects inside... it was wondermus...

What i love on Vanguard is the Furnishings of the house, you can be so creative with the stuff, and the furniture has to be crafted and from the tiniest glass to the bigged bed you can craft all, the vanguard housing system would perfectly fit with the horizons plot system In vg you can sadly only have a plot and build a house on it, no garden no foutains *cry*

If you want i can post some shots of the inside of my fully decorated house

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

I am used to the EQ2 system and I thought it was a great furnishing system. Candles, rugs, plants... you name it. All of this was crafted and it was a fun thing to decorate your appartment/house. Only thing is you cannot buy a plot of land You live in an instanced home.

Haven't played VG since Beta so, I couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post

Ohhh yes please. Clicly links? I got VGD in the hopes I could expand my decorating services across three games. Alas, VGD hit more snags than I liked and I am still a level 9 nobody and I have yet to see a built house, much less a furnished one.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post

Please from me too. I gave up on VG at about lvl 12 crafter cos of the laggyness and empty worlds and other things.. but I loved the idea, and the crrafting system was an interesting variation on the normal.
    I also LOVED that you could gather resources as a group more efficiently than on your own - encouraging group crafting
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

So from what you are saying furniture may be possible in new tech buildings.
    Then its logical to just enable those types only even at the lose of the older buildings,and then add to the existing range of new tech buildings.
    We can allways remove existing old buildings from plots and rebuild so as to add furniture.
    But i assume its likly have to enable all building types.
    All alone in the dark

Chaos..Morrtoc
    Unity..Brainbasher(MorrBasher on Chaos)

Mind that's a t5 house the biggest ingame, its kojan (japanese style) there are also 2 other styles but i like japanese stuff, its only a part of whats aviable of furniture in vanguard. And the house can hold 250 objects, I think its too few, those little things like forks and cups take too much item stack. The chests also open when you click on them and you can store stuff in em

And the best about VG housing, the client loads only the objets when you go in the house when youre outside of it you dont lag because it doesnt load the objects, I think its because vanguard has actually a real world model what hz not has.

I also give you some links of vanguard housing sites which show the other objects:
    http://www.vanguardroleplayers.com/decor/album.php
    http://www.vghousing.com/
    http://www.wynne-m.de/

Here is the link to the pics:
    http://home.arcor.de/takora/House/

That is a very nice house! You even have a talking Bass!

I don't think Horizons need to go with tons of items... just enough furniture to fill rooms and I think it would be great and some stuff to put on walls.

Just enough to give a lively feel to houses.

those screenies are GLORIOUS!! (tempted to up my EQ2 subs to a Station pass for a month and re-try Vanguard)..

Have other issues with VG been addressed (really low player population, extremely laggy.. - those were what made me stopped playing to start with (and this was pre-server merge,so I guess by leaving I contributed to the low player population!)..

VG had so much potential.. but only Horizons allows you to actually build the houses (doesn't it?)

Mmm, I need to relocate my extremely packed mansion in EQ2 so I can redecorate

Quote Originally Posted by Arietna View Post

VG had so much potential.. but only Horizons allows you to actually build the houses (doesn't it?)
    The bulding in Vg is nearly the same as in Horizons, you need crafters to make the bricks, panels and other stuff, but you can apply by yourself the finished ressources to the house so it's quite similar.

And yes much players around, lags are fixed and fps are nice in the cities.

oh oh oh .....

how long does it take to build up cash to buy a plot... and are there plots available to buy??

sorry to keep this off Horizons, (NOTHING will stop me playing horizons again I think, but it's nice to have an alternative every now and then)

Thread Information