Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Market Place has turned into a useless channel for people to sit on their thumbs in..

Default Re: Market Place has turned into a useless channel for people to sit on their thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65 View Post
    The thing is, I know that people are out doing their own thing, and that nobody wants to stop what they are doing just to go make me some item, even for coin (cause coin is largely worthless to most players except for a few specific things). And I don't expect them to drop everything and run to me. Just answer and say, yeah, I can make that tomorrow for you if you want. I'm fine with that, I have patience.
    Then they shouldn't be on MP in the first place.

Seriously, that's like walking into a open market to get something and being ignored, or told they'll help you tomorrow. Why the heck are they there then?

I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but I'm just.... I don't know....
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

Default Re: Market Place has turned into a useless channel for people to sit on their thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by Casyle View Post
    Then they shouldn't be on MP in the first place.

Seriously, that's like walking into a open market to get something and being ignored, or told they'll help you tomorrow. Why the heck are they there then?
    Because questions only take a few seconds to answer, where making stuff takes a bit longer. I can't make a lot of stuff for people, but I can answer questions (when I'm paying attention...which isn't that often, to be honest).

Should I not be in MP when I have nothing to offer/sell but a bit of food here and there?

I have only been playing on Chaos for about 3-4 days and havent experienced any of the MP hardships some of you have to undure on this shard.

I do want to comment on the asking someone to craft, having to supply everything and still having to pay for the combining.

This was already done by dragons when I was still actively playing on Unity at the end of 2004.
    Because of this I am not surprised to read this, had to do this with my complete set of teched armor scales...
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Casyle

Even though I want to hit myself afterwords I keep trying MP, then immediately regret it. Been trying to get tier II heal spells for 3 freakin' days now. Going to log in now and try to find some, somewhere, on a connie.

In the last year if not for Image I'd be SCREWED for the most part.

Are you not a level 100 Dragon - I believe Dragons can make spells. T2 spells are beginner and if you get a few Lore tokens you can buy the spell forms and make them yourself.

let me be blunt. If everyone who doesnt need coin avoided marketplace... thered be like 5 players who only have 1-2 craft schools. Any crafter who has many craft schools, quite frankly is likely in the construction business ( seperate channel for that on chaos) or made huge coin prior to now.

Dragons can make spells and likely will do so for hoard over coin.

You do indeed hav a lvl 100 dragon and as much as its your right to sit on your duff nad not learn to craft...so to, can people sit in market and be obstinate, selling to few hoping to see somethign they need to buy.

I understand your frustration, but I can guarantee it wont change.

Not until coin is again worth something, not until a better economy is available and certainly not until craft has a way to make more money than adventuring.

Marketplace ever since my days on shadow was more like listenign tothe radio, mostly worthless garbled information that served you none at all, the occasional advertisement or help wanted ad, and even more worthless information.

Perhaps we need a history lesson. marketplaces were teh best places for information for many years as traders came nad went with news. Marketplace serves as that to this day.

I would love to link the 82million crystals a day I loot, but then I'm over spamming, so I mention I've put them on consigners.

I'm not defending myself here though, pointing out hte fact that the community is using the channel as it was intended...perhaps you need to rant about the lack of economy.

Better yet... spur the economy by crafting things or hunting things and selling them. I play on chaos and dont often see you trying to sell things either.

To agree with gopher: if I'm out slaughtering hte masses of istarias inhabiting creatures, I'm making better coin than if I come out and sell low tier items. ( t1-3 ) often making better coin and loot than if I sell t4-5.

The problem isnt so much with market casyle, more with the economy and way by which coin is made. Perhaps the community at large was too helpful early on making thigns for free, ruining the economy and now people have better things to do than help people.

Last night I heard many people saying their guild didnt provide for them. Sad case in my opinion.

Not to derail, but why be in a guild if you can offer them nothing and they will offer you nothing ( make a chat chaneel like everyone else if ya wanna talk). (that was off topic and I do apologize.

It does apply however as to the evolution of the community and in turn the economy. In turn, commerce is spat upon.

I support the barter method more than coin at this point, though id prefer people take my coin for something. Offer to trade a t5-6 stat crystal for all the t2-3 heal spells. I might get off my scaly rump for that.

Just stuff to think about.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

I still think the best answer to this problem would be a reverse consigner. But then, I think the TPTB know that, but haven't had time to code such a system yet.

I tend to wait and see if a lower level player can make the items requested if they're low tier, simply to give them an opportunity. If after a period of time, or several requests, I notice that they are still (fruitlessly) seeking an item crafted, then if I have the time, I'll make it for them.

As far as time goes, I don't tend to keep my silos stocked with lower tier materials, so frequently if I do have to make a lower tier item for someone, it's gonna take me a considerable amount of time to get the resources and make the item. Quite frankly I can make more coin than I would get from selling a T2 spell by hunting for 10 minutes, than the 45 minutes I'd spend getting the resources to make something low tier.

Are you not a level 100 Dragon - I believe Dragons can make spells. T2 spells are beginner and if you get a few Lore tokens you can buy the spell forms and make them yourself.
    I'm not interesting in crafting, thus the reason I go to the ill-named MarketPlace channel. I play MMORPGs to adventure, kill monsters, and socialize, not craft. Crafting is anathema to me.

Perhaps we need a history lesson. marketplaces were teh best places for information for many years as traders came nad went with news. Marketplace serves as that to this day.
    Mayhaps you need a history lesson? Marketplaces didn't survive on information, they survived on trade. MP wasn't created as an "idea' marketplace, as I note below. Besides, MP on Chaos, at least from what I've seen, isn't even used much for infomation. Despite there being 40+ people in it talk rarely happens, so it's not being used for information anymore than trade it seems.

I'm not defending myself here though, pointing out hte fact that the community is using the channel as it was intended...
    Waaay back on the old Tazoon forums people complained about the MP channel being mis-used, and a Dev made it quit clear that the channel was for, first and foremost, trade, not information, not gossip. You could talk, but you weren't supposed to make it impossible to trade. *This was back when MP was actually used and something you typed could fly off the page within' seconds.* MP was set up for TRADE. So, no, the channel IS NOT being used as intended.

spur the economy by crafting things or hunting things and selling them. I play on chaos and dont often see you trying to sell things either
    'Cause I'm not interested in crafting, selling, or trading. I give everything I have away.

free, ruining the economy and now people have better things to do than help people.
    *Scratches his head* I have a bad memory, I admit, but I don't recall asking for anything for free. I recall being frustrated that I could not BUY, sometimes sell, but that's not too big a deal for me really, spells and whatnot, despite there being 40 - 50+ people sitting in a mostly quite room.

Maybe the MP channel has changed, I dunno. I just got back from a few month break, so I'll have to see.
    Last edited by Casyle; June 25th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Casius, first lvl 100 Dragon.

Achiever 66.67%, Explorer 53.33%, Socializer 46.67% Killer 33.33%

Nah, it's about the same still. Most people congregate there, not necessarily talking but are there at least for if you do need something.

And last I checked there is no "General" channel. Was there at one point? I know there is the "Roleplay" channel but that's different.

*edit* ah, found the General channel. Population 1.
    Last edited by Vandalin; June 26th, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

*casts rez spell on ye olde thread*
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

This actually does make me wonder...why don't we use the General Chat Channel? I know that some people would say "I don't need any more chat windows open!" But if Marketplace was used only for buying and selling and you weren't doing either then it wouldn't always need to be open and General would take it's place.

I just know that last night I was involved in a very interesting and fun conversation between about 5-6 of us in Marketplace but the other 15-20 odd people were silent the whole time, neither adding nor complaining.

Well, I have General Chat open so if anyone wants to join any of my sisters there, feel free.

With the server populations that we currently have, if people went to Marketplace just to buy and sell at that moment, there were be very few people there for commerce.

I join MP on login and stay there the whole time even if I never chat there. Why? Because someone may offer something for sale that I want to BUY. I'm not actively buying or seeking to buy, but there could be an item offered that I would never have a chance at if I were not in MP.

If only those actively buying or selling were in MP, there would likely be only one to three people in there at any time, and that leaves noone to actually sell to or buy from.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

I suppose that is true.

So why don't people use General Channel?

Im not really sure why, probably for the same reasons why people never use NewPlayer, RolePlay, or a couple of the others. For whatever reasons people just started gravatating towards MP and Dragon. I myself hang around MP for the same reasons Galem does, while there isnt any trading going on at a level comparable to games like WoW or EQ,if it did I'd probably leave the channel because its too much spam, but I still see pleanty of it on both live servers, the random chatter that goes on in any of these channels help break up the silence of the game.

When I play, feel free to ask me for spells, scales, tools and weapons. Crafting and selling is something I like a lot.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    ... the random chatter that goes on in any of these channels help break up the silence of the game.
    This is why I'm in the channels I'm in. What's the point of going to the channels where the population is 1? I dunno about you, but talking to myself isn't something I do on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    What's the point of going to the channels where the population is 1?
    Well at some point in time most channels were a channel of 1 or 2 or 5...what happened, people chose to go to those channels and talk. I'm just wondering why it happened to be Market and not General. I also have mutiple channels up including Market and New Player (just in case) and I just added General. Why? Because you never know when 1 will become 2 and 2 become 4 etc. Although I don't expect this of player mades unless they are guild channels but with the non-player mades, why not?

I dont use any of them, just the UoP channel for buying, selling and socializing

I think it was Market because "way back in da'day" when the game was first formed, there were no official chat channels. They were all player created.

And the channels that were created by the players and considered the "general hang out channels" were Dragon and Marketplace (though I can't remember if that was the original title back on Dawn heh - though "Dragon" was). Every other channel was more of a private/guild/group/friend/event created channel. The only channels that were hung out in nightly by large amounts of people were those two.

So when AE caught up many many many moons later and created the "non-player created" "constant" channels - they added on a general, new player, OOC, etc.

But people just kinda stuck to what they already knew...

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Though I will say on Order the NewPlayer Channel use to be pretty lively - at least - it was actualy populated by more than 2-3 people - but then there were groups and organizers that wanted to make sure it was populated to help people.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Yeah, MP pretty much seems crap to me now too.
    Except when im not being ignored when i ask to buy something, someone will reply 1 or 2 ways.
    Either they will show me that they have the item i seek, but they refuse to sell me it (why show that you have something someone is buying if you arent going to freaking sell it? its stupid!!)
    OR
    They lecture me telling me to go hunt/make it myself.. (silly me for assuming the MARKETPLACE was where i could buy something.)((makes me wonder if those people go up to people in wal-mart irl asking "omgz! are you going to buy that?! you know, you could make it yourself!")) >.>
    At times, it can really make you really annoyed.

MarketPlace : the place for people to whine when they dont get something they want, or just feel like bragging about what they have/and wont sell/trade to you. OR a place to gather together in a large group to listen to crickets!

>.> I've been really annoyed with MP the past few months too..

Thread Information