Thread: Training Points

Unhappy Training Points

I don't know where to put them for the life of me.

I want to be Helian later. I'd like a spell casting Dragon

I've searched the Dragon forum and I am even more indecisive as to where to begin. I don't like choice, I'd rather have an aim as to where to put my stats and be done with it. Having trouble enjoying the game and worrying at the same time D:

There are no guides on the forums to compare either, so I really need some unencrypted advice

But I guess it's some where between Primal>Power>Focus? Everything else I should just leave? How ever if I do this at early levels with hardly any spells to alternate between I was told I'd have an extremely hard time.. So I started out with Strength>Tooth and Claw. When I reach a higher level I was planning to start buying those points back and starting off primal, but I just don't know.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Default Re: Training Points

Its a tricky one these days as their is no real difference between the 2 styles of play. A caster dragon will end up using claws to finnish a mob off and a melee drag will start by casting all the spells he has. (ie same style)

The way you are doing it is about the best way to go as only later will you require primal to use with teched spells. (their arn't that many spells to make a caster only dragon work)

The difference in schools now is mostly RP as in Helian dragons see bi-peds as friends and equals, where as a Lunus would quite happily bite the head off any bi-ped that looked at it

I'd say continue the way you are and after you have done your RoP and can fly, which is about lvl 50 for a Helian. Then you will have a better grasp and know what it is you require ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Its a tricky one these days as their is no real difference between the 2 styles of play. A caster dragon will end up using claws to finnish a mob off and a melee drag will start by casting all the spells he has. (ie same style)

The way you are doing it is about the best way to go as only later will you require primal to use with teched spells. (their arn't that many spells to make a caster only dragon work)

The difference in schools now is mostly RP as in Helian dragons see bi-peds as friends and equals, where as a Lunus would quite happily bite the head off any bi-ped that looked at it

I'd say continue the way you are and after you have done your RoP and can fly, which is about lvl 50 for a Helian. Then you will have a better grasp and know what it is you require ^^
    1. What does teched mean? How do you do it? What does RP stand for? What does Biped mean?

I was planning on scrapping the Str and T&C at level ten and starting on Primal>Power>Focus.

1. "teched' means adding techniques to your spells. For exampled Primebolt I with Primal Damage I. If you "tech' a spell, it increases the base skill requirement to scribe said spell. Going with the Primebolt I w/Primal damage I, you'd need a base skill of 20 to scribe it. If it's Imp Primebolt I with Primal Damage I, you'd need a base skill of 110 to scribe it.

You tech items at item creation. There are a few "newer" techs that can be applied after contruction - Withered Bane and Hunter's something come to mind.

RP means roleplaying. It's getting into character and acting out how you feel that character would.

Biped means two legged - ie. In Horizons, really any player character that's not a dragon. Elves, Humans, dwarves, gnomes, etc fall into the biped category.

If you truly want to focus on being a caster dragon, there's a nice write-up in these forums: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15317.

For a little more info for you: Power will increase the amount of damage your spells do. Focus increases your chance to hit with said spells. Primal skill increases both your damage and chance to hit, but with less impact than power or focus.

The same rules apply to T&C, Str and Dex - Str to increase melee damage, dex to increase chance to hit, T&C to increase both damage/chance to hit but at with less impact than str or dex.
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    1. What does teched mean? How do you do it? What does RP stand for? What does Biped mean?

I was planning on scrapping the Str and T&C at level ten and starting on Primal>Power>Focus.
    Teched means you add stats to an item like a scale. Any crafter has at least a few techs. The trainer in New Trismus teaches how to tech an item. Quartermasters in various towns sell techs for bounty markers

RP stand for Role play

Biped means anything not a dragon- something that walks on two legs.

Your plan sounds fine You will want some Primal and Power if you are to be a spellcaster but do not forget some health too.

Don't worry too much on spending your points. You accumulate "buyback" points everyday. These can be used to re spec your dragon if you change your mind on training points.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Ahh sorry

RP= Role play
    Biped= Any player that isnt a Dragon
    Teched= spells which have other abilities put on them, ie, Clense is a spell for removing some curses and such, if you have this technique you can add it to a spell upon creation so you could have somthing like Refreshing Breeze of Cleansing. Your better off asking for a crafter on the Dragon channel to learn more of this.

At about lvl 20 the mobs suddenly get harder, you'll need str and claws just to be able to hit them. Also gold rage and Silverstrike are a must.

Again do your quests from New Trissmus and then from Gerrix in Kion (on top of the vault) after you have done these you will have an understanding of what is required to fight as a Dragon.

Dont worry about your Training points at the moment as you can allways use 'Buy back points' later in the game.

Again thou, put yourself into the Dragon chat channel and ask for assistance in their, were allways happy to help Hatchies learn the ropes ^^

Ask Slayvite if you see him, he's a Lunus but will help you anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post

I do not agree with this. I am a Caster Dragon and I use spells and my Spell like abilitys and normally stay away from straight melee type abilities. I use spells, Galewind, Spiked scales (as it is a spell/ability and is based off power for it's damage) and my howls and such as they are not strict melee abilities. I try to stay away , but do sometime use my ravage and silver/gold Strike when in dire straights. But a melee only dragon I am sure would use spells to finish something off.

My TP Are full primal, TC up to 1000 for the ceremonial scale, rest power. Before the ceremonial scale I ran full Primal and rest split between power and Focus.

Scales I run Armour scales with Power, Primal and Focus.

As a melee dragon, I use my buffs, a teched spell for pulling, and some variety of breeze for healing during the fight. Oh yes, and spiked scales (I have a hard time considering that a spell but oh well) when multiple mobs are chewing on me. And breath weapons as needed of course.

Otherwise I'm melee all the way.

And yes, I dumped every training point I could into T&C with the rest divided between strength, dex, and health.

If I were to do the same strategy as a caster I suppose I'd put every point I could into primal with the rest divided between power, focus, and health.

Oh and when waiting for timers to refresh I use primal bolts, I do not use the default claw attack ever.

I've had so much different advice on training points its unbelievable, and everyone here is so knowledgeable that when they say different things, it confuses me! Best I can say is try stuff out, then swap them back again if you need to; you constantly earn back "buy back" points so you can swap your training points around.

One thing I have often heard though is not to put points into 'stats' (Strength, Dexterity etc) as they cost 4 points, but rather to put them into things like Primal, Tooth and Claw or Evasions (as they cost 3), or even Health (only costs 1 point). I personally on my caster put them into Primal and Evasion (both maxed out constantly, gain 2 points in each per level) and on my melee char I put them into Tooth and Claw and Evasion (again both maxed out constantly). But it is entirely your choice. I like my way because it makes it hard for melee mobs to hit me (though casters hurt me), others prefer to go for the full on damage that you can get by combining eg. Strength with Tooth and Claw. But as others have said, your scales can always make up for any shortcomings (I tend to use Armour scales with Dexterity/Power/anything else I'm missing)

You'll also find something that works for you as a hatchling can be tweaked to be more efficient once you become an adult as you will become stronger when you grow. So don't be afraid to play around and find what works for you. Or alternatively just say what your goals are (I want to hit things hard ) and someone can tell you what to do to get that goal quickly!
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

STR = DMG
    If you are going Lunus STR is very visable if i where you ..
    Now if your going Heliun well then that maybe be a differant story. but remeber you will not be only nuking you rmobs like a mage would do.. so you will be in the heat of the battle just like a Lunus only differnace is lunus is more specialized in Melee where are Herliun is more pointed directly towards Spellcasting.. But All in all Both can use the same thing anyway you look at it.. so.....I will leave it at that... Don't want you to get anymore Confused...Good luck with your Dragon

Cheers

Heh, it's okay people, I've figured out what I'm going to do with my training points

I'm just working on my crafting right now. (31)

I was told when i first started playing before i knew which way i wanted to go heli or lunus, that do half and half in t&c and Primal, that way i can wear all claws scales and scribe spells when they hit the lvl requirements, That actually worked really good for me. I did lean on the lunus side and like to slay everything in sight and fast, but at the same time i did really good with spells too. now that i am 100 ancient i can play with the points and see what works best. i have a heli dragon i'm working on now that is going primal (keep adding all i can to that) a bit in power and focus.. so far seems to work ok, still not sure if i like spell casting on a dragon though it's just under powered compaired to melee attack. hopefully one day us dragons will get a redo on the spell side so there is a big difference in the two

Have a great day
    CC

The requirements for claw scales is based on gaining 8 T&C claw per level. So for example say the Lesser Garnet Tipped Claw requires Lvl 3 to equip, you only need 24 T&C to use it. This follows for all claws as you go up through the tiers.

Primal on the other hand you'll need to dump 6 TPs each level if you want to scribe the untech'd spells as soon as they become available.
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Thread Information