Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Age of Fire

Default Re: Age of Fire

Stephen King's Dark Tower series is one of the best fantasy/sci fi/western/horror series i've read lately. I have a hard time with straight fantasy these days, I tend to see right thru it, doesn't hold my attention.

Neil Gaiman, writer of the Sandman comic book, all his novels just rock, he's got a fantastic writing style. And if you haven't checked out Sandman, do, its just great.

Humm, this sure sounds interesting! I shall keep my eyes open, just in case I'd see this series in the shelves somewhere.

Sadly, it's a hard mission to accomplish in Finland.. But with these special book stores with English books on sale.. you'll never know. As far as dragon related books go, I've only read the Eragon series (well, halfway through Brisingr now. ) And Dragonlance's The Dragons. I'd definitely love to have some more, dragons surely deserve more books from their point of view!

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    I'd definitely love to have some more, dragons surely deserve more books from their point of view!
    I'd definitely recommend the Elizabeth Kerner and Dawn Cook novels I listed in my old post then Trica...

Edit: And thanks Shur for the summary ... I didn't remember that being the Queen but it does make sense now.

Rakku

In a round about way it does have dragons..

But if noone's ever picked up the Daggerspell (first book I think of a very long series ongoing - we're up to..book 14/15 right now..over the last 20 years..) by Katherine Kerr - best and most original fantasy series I think I've EVER read..
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Although it has been a while since I purchased and/or read new books.
    I have a few series and those I can actually read over and over again.
    1. Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr.
    2. The Dwarfs by Markus Heitz: The Dwarfs, The war of the Dwarfs, The revenge of the Dwarfs and The Fate of the Dwarfs.
    3. Dragonlance Chronicles: To many to name separate.
    4. Chronicles of the Raven: Dawnthief, Noonshade, NightChild.

All of which have dragons in the story.

I will give some explanation as to why I placed which series in the Top 4…
    Looking at how the storyline is unfolding during the course of the for now 3 books I am most intrigued by the Eragon series not counting the extremely bad movie but just the books. Although I must admit that if he decides to spread the story out over 5 books instead of first 3 or was it 4 then it’ll drop down in my top 4….
    Eventhough The Dwarfs series only has 1 dark green dragon named Lohasbrand who lives and kills at the end of book 3 and has already died of natural causes in book 4 it is still nr.2 in my list of favourite books.
    The dragonlance chronicles were my favorite until I read the books now rated above it. Also the first (and so far also the only) books I read in which dragons actually had a Khutit or biped form to transform into Although it is a shame that metallic are good and blue,red,black and such are evil (like the regular colors more).
    Eventhough Noonshade from the Chronicles of the Raven has some nice “dogfighting� or should I simply say air combat scenes I still believe that it is in the last place mostly because of a lot of curses issued during the story line. first book, first chapter I counted 20 or so, I am no cry baby about curses but I thought that was a little bit to much. (Although it could be a wrong translation since I read the Dutch version).

For now I am waiting for the hopefully last book of Eragon (only god knows when it is finished) and the last book of the Dragonlance chronicles (supposedly coming out summer 2009).

Other then that I have no real books I like or want to read in the fantasy scene, might try some suggestions given in this thread. Who knows?
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I haven't read a great many dragon-centric books, because it's been a long time since I was very interested in reading the majority of published novels. But there is one series I'd have to mention--

The Pit Dragon trilogy by Jane Yolen is a sci-fi series revolving around the native dragons of an alien planet and the humans who've been forced to live there for generations, the descendants of exiled convicts. It consists of three books, which start out focused about the relationship between the main character and his dragon companion and the society they live in, and then begins to get more into the dragons themselves.

A fourth book is on the way, but as far as I'm aware it's not out yet. Definitely picking it up once it is though.

Other than that, well... I write dragon-centric novels? Ehe. None of them are at all publish-worthy yet though. Working on it.
    Tchanel Rulskyl, Ancient of Order.
    Currently unable to return due to being poor.

Funny. I just ordered book four (and three, and two, and one ) on Amazon.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

mm not normally into scifi - but scifi centering on dragons I'll ...bite..!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    ... Also the first (and so far also the only) books I read in which dragons actually had a Khutit or biped form to transform into ...

*points at the Dawn Cook Truth series again*

Darn I might have to start reading those again ... just in the last stages of a book called Dark Moon about unicorns, and then Dragonforge (Bitterwood book 2), and then Path of Honor.

Rakku

Im reading the 3rd book currently of the Age of Fire an am loving it to. I think dragons of the night also has a dragon that can go khutit. If not then theres a book with some person that has this cloak with endless pockets and it cant be taken off without her permission. She also has like 6 pet dragons that do different things (they're bird sized) and in the story somewhere shes training to be a wizard. They have a bog wizard and a Lake wizard. Im not sure what the name of that book it tho.

For just a funny sci-fi series I wonder if anyone has read the Xanth series?? 26 books total by Piers Anthony and it starts with A Spell for Chameleon(which i have yet to read)
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

These books are GREAT!!!

I'm so bummed that there are only four!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post
    For just a funny sci-fi series I wonder if anyone has read the Xanth series?? 26 books total by Piers Anthony and it starts with A Spell for Chameleon(which i have yet to read)
    I have read many of the series myself, though it has been several years. They are a great read and you bringing them up is making me want to read them again, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rizo/nawkia View Post

oh yes! I LOVE that series! I've read all of the ones in existence now ^^ though, there's more than 26 now ^_~

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

if you want anthony scifi, you should try the adept series - granted, not quite as funny as xanth (staring at the centerfold of a 1989 xanth calendar as we speak, i might add..... )

you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Atm im reading his Incarnations of Immortality and its quite good to me

that is another good series I've read, Riz, I've only not read "For Love of Evil" and "And Eternity"

to you Velve... I've read that entire series, from the first three to the sixth one, or was it seven... ^^
    though, I have to say, I liked the first three better

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    These books are GREAT!!!

I'm so bummed that there are only four!
    Two more are in the works.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post
    that is another good series I've read, Riz, I've only not read "For Love of Evil" and "And Eternity"

to you Velve... I've read that entire series, from the first three to the sixth one, or was it seven... ^^
    though, I have to say, I liked the first three better

sorry to take us futher off topic....

yeah i find anthony a curious writer - he loves series but he is not so horribly good at them.....
    they start off great but start to peter out along about book 4 or 5 (altho his autobio 'diary of an ogre' is pretty kewl, he is really a fascinating dood...)........not bad enough to lose your interest, tho - like that goodkind guy......
    after about book 2 or the middle of book 3 i realized that all the sword of truth books are the same book, just with different words.

altho i LLUUUVVV jagang!! okay yeah he is supposed to be ultimately ebil and all, but he sounds so hot!
    and the sisterhood of the traveling agile (my affectionate name for the mord sith) is pretty kikazz to me!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Just started the 4th book an am likin it already.

Off topic-
    They have a manga called fairy tail. I suggest you read it. One of the main characters has a magic called Dragon Slayer Magic, but to learn it it has to be taught to you by a dragon.. irionic hunh? anyway its a good manga so far there are fire, metal, and sky

Thread Information