36 16.74%
  • have disks designed to carry specific types of material only

12 5.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Disk Survey

Default Re: Cargo Disk Survey

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Not this time. This time it means "can't".
    Sorry to hear that. I am willing to bet that statement has caveats, but I don't want give you a hard time. You are posting, and we would all like to keep it that way.

If this is truely the case, you guys really have your work cut out for you. Good luck and I will continue to help in the only way I can, subscriptions.

Thanks for taking the game back over and soliciting input from the customers. It's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarië AncalÃ**mon View Post
    So, there you have it. The devs want to make the game more fun for us normal people. I think I can live with that.
    IF that were true, I'd be all for it. However, 'revamps' from Virtrium, so far, have been what other would call 'nerfs'.

Example: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17011

Assuming that prior 'revamp' is never going to be finished either...

Before this 'revamp' is also done with no consideration for how the game is actually played, a thought: A cargo disks' main function is to transport BULK. (For example, I need to make, at this moment, 22000 slate bricks. The best disk only holds 1500 at a time.). None of the poll options include anything about bulk?!

Suggestions for actual improvements along this line:
    Addition of the level 100 backpack.
    Addition of the Travertine scalepack (which I'm told exists on Blight?).
    Bigger Holding Crystals.

Personally, if all of the present-line disks were to have their speed increased, I'd still like to see one disk that is as slow as today's standards (or even slower) that can carry massive (double? triple?) amounts.
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Limiting item types placeable in the disk would only make this issue worse. I can't even fathom why that idea is being considered....
    I can say why I would think it is being considered. You could have disks that are better able to hold an even quantity of a certain bulk.

Take, for example, a confectioner line of disks. Food resources are bulk 10, 2 and 4 (I think that covers them). To set up disks to hold optimal amounts of food resources, you need multiples of 10 and 4. Ok, that's pretty easy.

However, make those same disks useful for a jeweler, who uses uncut and cut gems, and suddenly you need to have multiples of 6 also.

By making a line of cargo disks designed specifically for confectioners, you can look at the recipes they are making, how many types of resources those require, the bulk requirements, and make it so they can hold even stacks. They're optimized for confectioners.

Make another line that is optimized for hauling gems for jewelers with different stack and bulk capacities.

It's the same sort of reasoning for having silos just for food items. Or for having libraries just for formulas and techs. Because of the restriction on item type (the take), you can give a little more so that the item is tailored to work better.

At least, that's how I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarië AncalÃ**mon View Post
    So, there you have it. The devs want to make the game more fun for us normal people. I think I can live with that.
    Well if they want things to be fun can they make it so that each resource has at least 1 place to go to that isn't swamed by mobs for those of us with an adventure rating lower than 30.

Let's keep the thread on topic, please. If you want to start a thread on other things the developers could do to make the game "more fun", feel free. The topic hear is not past changes, nor is it crafting regions in general.

The topic is a cargo disk revamp.

Thanks

Staying on subject, make'em faster and attuned or recallable and attuned...either is fine by me.
    Nobility is not in your blood but in your actions.
    Woushi - Blight
    Dael Trykk - Blight

Someone suggested Cargo Disk Dyes (oh wait, that was me!)

How about Abilites attached to a container (Cargo Disk)

I believe some weapons and the boar's hide mask have abilities connected to them that can be hot-keyed and used. How about a Disk Boost or ability that can give a 10 to 15 second speed boost. This would be great for getting away from a golem or other mob that sneaks up on you. Useable only when Cargo Disk is equipped.

i voted raise speed cap, allow recall on some disks, and change speed cap to a fixed reduction instead of a fixed cap. i would also like to see dragon disks get another stack (or maybe even a 3-stack disk at lev 100?) because as things stand right now, doing lair-work in the field is a -*****- with only 1 stack to work with, and since teh few bipd disks that can stack cannot fly, using them is no better.

give the miner/gatherer classes a positive feeling... allow recall with their disks only.

So people will have a reason to join those great schools again :P
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    give the miner/gatherer classes a positive feeling... allow recall with their disks only.

So people will have a reason to join those great schools again :P
    Catering to just those two classes would be really unfair, and unbalancing. Just my two cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    i voted raise speed cap, allow recall on some disks, and change speed cap to a fixed reduction instead of a fixed cap. i would also like to see dragon disks get another stack (or maybe even a 3-stack disk at lev 100?) because as things stand right now, doing lair-work in the field is a -*****- with only 1 stack to work with, and since teh few bipd disks that can stack cannot fly, using them is no better.
    I voted for those 3 also. I don't play a dragon but I think they should get another line of flying ones that have more stacks, with less bulk to be in line with the balance from ground disks.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    Catering to just those two classes would be really unfair, and unbalancing. Just my two cents!
    I thought that was the original intention, because they don't actually make anything themselves that got disks that catered to carrying resources around better than other classes. Was very surprised to not see that restriction there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Satchels are classified in the game as a container, but as far as the actual code they are not. You cannot actually place items into a satchel like you can a cargo disk or bag. They are simply a tool that increases your inventory capacity. And because you can't place items into them, you can tech them.
    Amon, after a visit in TheWayBackMachine, I thought I remembered a time when you could shove items into Cargo Caps (and maybe other pieces of cargo gear)... while equipped, no less. Wouldn't that same code, which I'm sure was unintentional, mean that some items can function as containers and still take techs? Or was it that cargo gear couldn't be tech'd at the time (though I thought it could)?

Is it that the game code has changed, the items have changed, the devs just don't want us to be able to do that, all of the above; I didn't think I was completely off my rocker on this, but I guess that's possible too.

Wish I could find old screenies...
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

I would love to see recallable disks and make it so speed buffs work with disks equipped instead of the hard cap. Looking around I see very few dragons have a lair fully built or even barely worked on. I think there's only three fully built lairs on Order...

This is because it takes literally years to gather the resources, process them the get them back to the lair to apply. Most regular players get very frustrated and stop working on such a monotonus task thinking they'll come back to it later.

Being able to recall would cut a ton of time out, but it would also get rid of that credit sink by bypassing the need to hop portals full of resources, so I am not sure what to think.

As for what I'd like to see...

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a speed cap on cargo disks; there should be a restriction for the priviledge of increased capacity, and that should stay. I do think though that the speed should be a % of your (base speed + buffs), then apply road bonus. This way you can have the %s vary by disk line & tier, and folks with decent tech'd gear and buffs get to still enjoy the benefit of said gear and buffs - even if it is only works out to another +5 total speed in the end.

Increased bulk capacities are always nice, but stack capacity seems to be the larger issue for me, personally. I'd love to see the one-stack disk line increased to two, just for flexibility's sake; I know the one-stack limitation is justified by such a large bulk capacity... but it has just always seemed, especially in tandem with the super-slow flat top speed, an overly restrictive restriction.

It may seem superficial and relatively inconsequential compared to functional issues, but I'd love to see additional graphical model options for cargo disks at creation. Otherwise always the same couple of boxes under a tarp - just a different color... I mean, it's been addressed a little with the helian/lunus disks and the knut's disks... but those graphics are still tied to a specific disk functionality. It would be awesome, similar to hilts and blades, to have a few "base" (bottom half) graphics to choose from, and then a few "cargo" (top half) graphics to choose from.

Recalling with the disk... I'm not sure that I want to endorse that idea. What's the point of speed restrictions at all if you can simply zip back to bind point at will? Then when that's too powerful, someone is going to slap a recycle on Recall (an unlikely nightmare scenario, I'm sure, but I'm voicing it in the hope that people will want to stone me for the thought - and the public outcry will mean it never happens).

Teleportation with disk... VERY fair, especially given teleportation fees; all disks lines should allow it. What's the point of speed restrictions causing you to get to a teleporter at a snail's pace, if you're just going to have to port back and forth removing disk contents in "chunks" anyway? Kinda defeats the purpose of dragging the disk at all... in which case, you might as well keep the disk planted at whatever machine you're working at, recall the same amount of times but at least run back and forth at top speed - either way, that process would make gathering more irritating.

Of course, increasing the number of teleports in a given period of time also seems to make the client crash all that much faster... but that's another thread, I suppose. Still, it's added incentive to just let us portal once, with the disk in tow.

As far as disks for specific material types... I agree with Peaches on this one: I already have enough trouble with the 300 stack capacity in my L7 vault. Adding another 5 or 7 disks to it so that I can have one super-efficient disk for each type would be downright painful, and unnecessarily hurt more advanced crafters.

However if you wanted to do, say, organic and non-organic disks (essence is organic so dragons would benefit, too) ... that might prove a cool compromise between "getting better, more helpful crafting toys" and "getting my vault pwned". Someone might counter that I could just use plot structures more instead of relying on my vault, but imo that would just be deflecting the problem to another area instead of addressing the point.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll gladly chat with anyone in-game on Order about this stuff too.

See yas soon!
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    This is because it takes literally years to gather the resources, process them the get them back to the lair to apply. Most regular players get very frustrated and stop working on such a monotonus task thinking they'll come back to it later.

Being able to recall would cut a ton of time out, but it would also get rid of that credit sink by bypassing the need to hop portals full of resources, so I am not sure what to think.
    Not looking to hijack the thread... but I think biped plots tend to get done faster because one person usually CAN'T do everything - so you almost always have multiple people working on one plot, then return the favor on another. I haven't delved into lairs with my dragon, so I don't know how it goes for my scaley brethren... but if you're trying to do a lair all by yourself, you're signing up for Teh Pain - just like one biped trying to do an entire plot themself.

<we now return to our regularly scheduled thread>

I vote for allowing some to atleast recall because we all know how much incredibly easier that would make life. It is no fun flying/running for thousands of meters to the nearest town for a portal or to a lair/plot on a disk that goes 35. Crafting is hard enough without having to make carrying resources a giant epic journey.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

For me personally, it's not about speed, it's about capacity and bulk. Making tri-cuts in the field with my one-item disk is rather tedious. Having a flying multi-stack disk would be really nice.

I really like the idea of two cargo disks.

Unhappy Re: Cargo Disk Survey

Until this poll, I had never considered cargo disks to be an issue in any way...I vote to leave them as is and focus development time on more pressing issues.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good dipped in chocolate!" - Can't remember who

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I voted for a higher speed cap and having some disk lines being recallable. Those seemed two very good choices at the start. Here are some other thoughts I feel obliged to offer for consideration.

First off, multi-equipping disks. Granted, there are many ways that this could be exploited beyond belief. In beta, multiple disks equipped was a topic for discussion (and I believe at one point, it may have even been implemented for a short time, but I wasn't in beta and only have memories of discussions ages past). What I suggest for making this less exploitable is such: You may only equip 1 disk per tier maximum. By example, if you're using the Tarbash line. Your current craft class (not highest class that you may not be in at the time) is 82, your first and highest disk would be obsidian. So, you could equip also a granite, a slate, and a sandstone Tarbash as well. Of course, your speed drops accordingly with the maximum being the SLOWEST disk you equip. So, therein lies the tradeoff. Yes, you could equip the most disks you could, but you'll be getting slower due to the extra weight of dragging the disks along. Now, that also limits you by what you equip. If you're an 82 current craft and start by equipping slate first (for whatever reason and sake of argument), you would only be able to equip the sandstone next.

I agree that far too many of the disk lines right now appear similar. For instance the dragon disks and Tarbash disks are essentially one and the same, with the only exception that dragon disks allow dragons to fly. The problem with this is that the poor hapless dragon is stuck with only one resource on disk, bonus resources clogging up inventory, and any finished goods limiting what can be gathered effectively. Personally, I would suggest dragon disks be given a maximum number of stacks equal to the maximum number of raw and intermediates for lairshaping (because just how often do we ever gather the EXACT amount we need to finish resources?). We know lattices take 3 gems to 1 tricut, plus focused azulyte. So, that's a requirement of 6 (gem, gem, gem, tricut, unfocused, focused). Maelstones and flowstones have two processed goods plus a raw good and an intermediate to make. That makes a requirement of 6 again (unprocessed 1, processed 1, unprocessed 2, intermediate, unprocessed 3, processed 3).

Now to my two suggested votes. I do support raising the speed caps on disks. However, I think this raise should still keep in line that as you go into a higher tier disk, regardless of line, that the reduction in speed is lessened. Sandstone should be slowest because people are unaccustomed to all that extra weight. As they craft higher, they get stronger and more acquainted with the resistance. At the tier 5/6 levels, there should be virtually no more or less cap than currently posted.

As for recallables, this may or may not end up being a different line than currently offered. It should be a disk available to everyone, but not as a part of some uber disk that has all the goodies. I'm not wanting to toss out all the other lines of disks just for one particular style.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thread Information