• have speed reduced by a fixed number

36 16.74%
  • have disks designed to carry specific types of material only

12 5.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo Disk Survey

Default Re: Cargo Disk Survey

Faster disks and disks that can be recalled with would be uber. A dragon's disk that can hold multiple items, I would melt at the sight of one of those - too bad that's not an option to vote for

It would also be nice to see some new and nifty art for the older biped cargo disks, but I'm guessing that might've been though of already.

Personally, I could think of better things to improve upon or revamp other than cargo disks. They're hardly the source of the often mind-numbing grind that one can experience (though draggin it around for miles does seem to add to that..) But, those're just my little tid-bit thoughts that I wanted to jam in there.

I seem to recall a bit of talk about a year ago for adding beasts of burden to the game, or was that something that got scratched off the list indefinitely?

I was just thinking about the two disk idea that came up and remembered all the old chatter in my guild about pack mules (not the dragon kind). Why not combine using a disk with a mule? You could take the disk with you out into the field for gathering and leave the mule near the machine to hold the finished product. You could even make a confectioner formula for "mule feed" that would give a bonus to the mule's speed for X amount of time. Kind of like using potions. Give the mule a bigger stack rate so it could hold the rest of the multiple items needed for making certain things. And, a mule or any kind of beast of burden would fit right in with the land so there's no issues of "being out of place".

I know that wouldn't work out so well for the dragons. So why not give them some kind of flying creature that would work the same way. There's several different kinds of flying mythical beasts of burden to choose from, or just make one up. Could even get a red dragon to mate with an annoying little donkey and have little firebreathing donkey/dragons flying all over the place

personally i'd be happy with a multi item flying disk.

soom new looks for the dif. disks would be good too

Yvan Eulbsnogard, Ancient dragon of Chaos
    __mn_(0u0)_nm__
    "Wind roars, oceans foam, tempests rise and rage. the mountian bows to no one."

Cargo disks...

The question of whether a revamp is necessary has already been raised, and I too wonder if it's worth spending time on right now.

That aside, I'll offer my thoughts for consideration for whenever this actually does come up.

Note: We have a lot of cargo disks.
    http://bristugo.com/node/51
    (Yes, I know, it doesn't include the Knut line.)

One of my objectives in a revamp would be to thin the 'mundane' variety down and decrease the similarity. Are seven non-specialty lines really necessary? It's kind of confusing. “Should I get a Tarbash Compact Sandstone or a Standard Slate? I can't decide!! *twitch*�

As a starting point, I suggest two lines: “carries a bit of several items� and a “carries a lot of one item�. Dragon disks (which are currently a flying instance of the latter can stay that way for now). Disks from those lines can be “teched� to add or improve qualities of the disk.

Now, I know containers can't be teched, however, is there any reason why the formulas can't produce an item with the properties of a teched one?

In other words, instead of producing a “Standard Sandstone Disk� with a “Cargo Disk: Speed� tech, a player can make a “Speedy Standard Sandstone Disk�. Yeah, this does sound like renaming the seven lines, but it's easier to compare them -- especially if certain conventions are adopted, such as “A speed boost on a given tier of disk can not make the disk as fast or faster than the plain version of the next tier of disk.�.

That raises the question of what “techs� would be of interest? The number of these, as well as their “exclusivity� and maybe even tiers would need to be adjusted so there aren't 100s of products in the “Expert� version of the form.

As for resources, given that the disks get plenty of usage (as opposed to deconstructed for xp grind), they could very well be more time consuming to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    In other words, instead of producing a “Standard Sandstone Disk� with a “Cargo Disk: Speed� tech, a player can make a “Speedy Standard Sandstone Disk�. Yeah, this does sound like renaming the seven lines, but it's easier to compare them -- especially if certain conventions are adopted, such as “A speed boost on a given tier of disk can not make the disk as fast or faster than the plain version of the next tier of disk.�
    This is a nice idea... could make the component a rare item similar to a chroma for weapon dyes, but collected rarely off of harvested resource nodes, in addition to including it in the loot tables of boars, treants, oastics and golems, etc.

I still think having one disk for every resource type is a bit much, but I guess I wouldn't turn it down if it hit me in the chest.
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

Some further feedback... having looked over that list:

Tarbash Compact Marble: Speed 50, Stack 1, Bulk 5200

Cut that speed nearly in half, and the bulk more than doubles:

Tarbash Marble: Speed 26, Stack 1, Bulk 12000

So, here's the disk I was talking about in my prior post that I'd like to see:

Disk: Speed 13-16, Stack 1, Bulk 24000

And for those who gorge themselves on gummy maggots as I do (limits speed to 8)

Disk: Speed 8, Stack 1, Bulk 48000 (Yes, I really would use this disk.)

What I WOULD NOT want to see is the 12000 bulk on any disk go away with the excuse 'Well, it's faster now'.
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

i would like to see all disks usable by any character (can bipeds use those adorable dragon disks yet??) - i can see restricting which classes can make disks but everyone can drag them

Quote Originally Posted by Vermithraxx View Post
    Disk: Speed 13-16, Stack 1, Bulk 24000
    Disk: Speed 8, Stack 1, Bulk 48000 (Yes, I really would use this disk.)
    That's not a disk, that's a portable silo!

I like the disks. They are one thing in this game that stands out for me. I never could understand though, why for more storage in carrying only one type of item in most cases, means we have to do it more slowly. I think half the frustration in my crafting is just the speed of the cargo disk.

I think if we found a different way to balance the disk than a speed cut then we would have a lot more happy crafters.

After some more thought (and a little sleep) I want to explain my thoughts a little better, I do agree that having to use separate disks for separate items/resources would be very painful, I have issues with storage space as is.

But I do like the idea of being able to use two disks. How bout they have to be the same tier/type, and in order to have them both equipped one has to be grounded. This way I could start out with one disk, and lets say Im grinding out Iron-Slate scales, fill it with raw iron take it to the smelter, create iron bars ground it with the iron bars in it, equip my other disk fill it with raw iron and run back to the smelter until my grounded disk was full. Then unequip disk no.2 and fly to the slate fill it up with slate bricks and come back to the smelter and make iron-slate scales until my eyes bleed.

Alternatively having a special disk that can only be grounded and not dragged around would work to, especially if I could use any other disk along with it maybe be restricted in that it can only hold processed materials, such as Iron bars or Iron scales (But not limited to a specific resource/class/whatever, just no raws can go on it.). Perhaps have a slight increase in capacity. This would be great for making tri-cuts!

Changing the speed reduction on the moving disk to a % and some higher number and being able to modify it with techs (on armor), speed buffs, potions, ect. In addition to having the use of two disks would greatly reduce the grindy-ness of crafting, IMHO.

Add to that a flying disk that can hold even just 2 stacks, with reductions to speed and cargo size, and I'd bet there'd be many dragons who'd be willing to part with some of their shinies just to show you how much they love ya! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    Unless you increase storage for holding more items, then it would definately be hard pressed for players to obtain a disk for each item that is used for crafting.

I don't have a problem with attunement, but what purpose would that serve ultimately? Once again, it would create a storage problem, I believe anyway.

I don't have a problem with a disk taking more items to make, but there must be a tradeoff , such as higher speed to make it worth it. Just my opinion!
    I agree I hate the idea of have different cargo disks for different things. That would be a step backwards from how it all works now. I think how the cargo disks work now doesn't need to be changed at all and the time best spent redoing some of the tree graphics or redo water and enable swimming for bipeds.

i think the ability to have multiple disks in play would improve the game play for all crafting.
    keeping it so that only one could be dragged at a time,but having others parked and useable as mobile silo,s.
    maybe have a limit on max combined bulk available,rather than max no. of disks.
    All alone in the dark

Chaos..Morrtoc
    Unity..Brainbasher(MorrBasher on Chaos)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    That's not a disk, that's a portable silo!
    Uh, Yeah! C'mon, if we're gonna revamp it, let's make it fun for the players!
    Vermithraxx Draconis, Spirit Shard 12/29/03, 1st Helian Adult 03/17/04 [Retired]
    Vermithraxis Draconis, Chaos Shard 06/28/07, Lunus Adult 07/18/07, 100/100/100 09/03/07
    Biped: HLR 100/SPRD 45/CNJ 44/MIN 100/TNK 100/ARM 100/SPL 100/WPN 90/JWL 100/OUT 69/BLK 58/GTH 76/ENC 53...

Using a cargo disk should give some advantage over not using one. When collecting raw resources and transporting them back to a plot it is often "better" to run, collect and recall several times. Road bonuses do help but often the roads dont go all the way to the resource site or they meander so that it is not worth using them.

Suggestions

Speed increase of some sort especially the low tier disks. Maybe increase by 50% of the speed they have now.

All disks can use portals for a fee.

Single stack disks carry a lot more bulk than multi stack ones. Perhaps 3 times the bulk of a multi stack.

Now for some suggestions for new types of Disks

A biped disk that allows travel up cliffs and over water.

A Disk that only travels on roads that has no speed penalty at all. A bit odd but may have a use.

As a returning player myself, and delighted to be so .. it seems ..

a) The game has some real care and attention being given to it now, fabulous to see !! .. and long may it continue and grow from strength to strength !

b) Thank heavens its been kept going, because frankly after a long break myself, as with seemingly a lot of other players too ..I'm absolutely loving it again ..mainly Crafting/Construction, as thats my particular passion ..but darn its good to be back! ..

Great job Amon !! (great to see you're about and hope you are well), and very nice to meet you Amarie and read your great emails .. and all at Virtrium .. hopefully this is the incarnation that gets Horizons to the respected position it should be in the MMO world..

NOW about these disks ..

1) RECALLING = Really you should be able to recall with them now, this is long overdue! ..if , and a BIG IF, there HAS to be trade-off, then the different lines for Gathering, Mining or however you care to split it, would work imho.

2) SPEED = we could always use them faster, but its possibly the least of the revamping issues, though most welcome if increased.

3) 2 DISKS = sooo many times, the ability for a 2nd disk at the same time would be very useful..how many times have we all destroyed hard earned resources when we've miscalculated how much makes this and what cargo suit am i wearing at the time and ..well you get the idea!

4) ITEM COUNT = do we think its about time Tarbash Disks, and any other single item only lines, could carry a Resource AND the crafted item it might make at the same time ? .. i.e. Granite Bricks AND Keystones ..or whatever.

I haven't read ALL the posts here, so apologize if some or all of this is repeated ..good to be back ..carry on the great work!
    Last edited by Lio; February 8th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
    Lio de Purr [Proud Saris] -------------------------------- 100 : HLR / SPRT -- 63 MAG
    100 : MIN/GTH - CRP/ENC/FIT/MSN/WVR - JWL - FLT/WPN/ARM - Tlr=80
    Huffenpuff [Adult Helian] ---------------------------------- 100 : DCra -- 76 Drag Adv.
    <The Alliance> Acul - Harro - Wolf's Paw - Drift Pt - Fabric Isle <CHAOS>

I was just wondering what brought about the decision to revamp the discs, of all the things over theyears ive heard complaining about, discs are not one of them. If its getting changed im fine with that, always happy to see game work getting done, not complaining here, just wondering why.

Im just worried that a couple decisions made seem tailored to make Hz play faster. Everybody wants, faster discs, recalling ability, more stack on discs, of course, if my boss asked me if wanted to make more money, work less and have more help along the way id vote for that too, but that doesnt mean i need it.

Teto,

That was answered by AmariĂ« AncalĂ**mon when she quoted a lead designer:

The initial reason which prompted us to consider revamping cargo disks was a decision we made last summer as we took over the game again. We decided we wanted to look for ways to reduce the grind and improve the fun. We've done some of that and we're always looking for more ways.

So we took a look at cargo disks. And we thought "here's an area where we could adjust the speed cap and reduce the grind". but then we thought "well, maybe we should look at revamping some other aspects at the same time". That brought about a lot of discussion and disagreement about what to adjust, how, why, etc, etc.

Then someone brought up the suggestion that we bring the discussion to the players and let you all discuss it as well. Which bring us to today and this post and your questions.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

as i work the same way as zex, i agree with him wholeheartedly!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Here is my two copper worth on the cargo disk questionnaire. As a dragon and soon to loose access to a several open biped silos (due to plot reclaim).

I would love to be able to have three or four disks that I can park next to a non player made machine. This would allow for a portable lair part factory.

More than half my crafting game time is spent not getting the materials, but in dragging them someplace to craft them.

Here is my two cents worth, finally.

Each of us has our own play style, if you will. Mine? I set it up, so that I would be kept busy, building. Most of the people on Order shard, know that is ALL I do , each and every day. I avoid hunting like the plague, because simply, I find it very unfun.

So, let me say this. Allow us the option of keeping what we have, to suite our play style, and bring in what you want to feed the needs of others. What say you?

An added note:

(Heh Also, speeding up is not an option for me, as I made it so that my plots will take a very very long time to build, if all I have left available to me is speed, then , once my plots are done, I will have nothing to do. ;( And trust me, it will take me years to finish the two plots I have , the way they are set up, to finish them.)
    Last edited by Peaches; February 8th, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

Thread Information