Thread: Hatchling test flight ... lol...

Thumbs up Hatchling test flight ... lol...

Just been having a bit of a fiddle with my mighty level 3 hatchling on Blight to see what this gliding lark is all about, and took a few pictures.

The top of the Spire near Spire's Shadow, surprisingly...

And..... Jump!

A second jump a little later...

Managed to get on top of the floating tower in Chiconis.

A few things I found...
    - on objects like the Spire, which are not terrain, I was able to jump and skim up and down the tower. I couldn't skim on the proper ground, which is good. I assume I shouldn't have been able to skim at all.
    - the glide angle was about 30ยบ at a guess. Don't think it was the discussed 45, but it works just fine.
    - If you stop going forwards, you fall... but I wasn't able to start gliding again once I was falling.
    - I understood that as an adult I could vary my glide angle by the amount I was looking up or down with mouse-look. If you tried this with a hatchling and looked too high, I thought you would just fall. I prefer how it's been done though, as you can look around properly and enjoy the (brief) view.

Clearly this might change gameplay with hatchlings in some areas, but so what I can't see this being anything but a benefit and novelty for our young hatchlings. ... It seperates hatchling gameplay from bipeds in a pretty novel way.

Apart from the skimming on non-terrain features like the Spire, it works very well. Thanks for this patch!

Rakku

(btw the hatchling is pretty much a clone of Spirit from Unity)

Default Re: Hatchling test flight ... lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    - If you stop going forwards, you fall... but I wasn't able to start gliding again once I was falling.
    Really ? I had no problem to start gliding again

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    Really ? I had no problem to start gliding again
    Perhaps I was having finger trouble ... if you've managed it then it must be coded in. I'll try again sometime.

Rakku

Oooh, that looks like fun. I sure hope that gets approved for implementation on Chaos and Order soon. It'll make the levels I need until my first Rite a lot more fun. XD

I can see this leading to a lot of Hatchies gliding into walls or other undesireable circumstances. *giggle* Oh dear.

All i can think of is.....

Wheeeee, uh! er! there's nothing but water under me! abort abort, turn turn!
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

lol Justa, that was me. Went to try a glide off of the top of the spire and fell like a ton of bricks right in the middle of the lake/pond below. I created a hatchling on Blight just to test the glide, but no matter where I tried, I still fell like normal. Is there something I'm not doing? I can't catch air! lol
    Noelani of Blight -100 DRA / 100 DRC / 40 DLS / 40M Hoard
    Amryth of Blight - 58 DRA / 35 DRC
    Amecha the Neglected of Blight and Order - ?/?/?/?

Quote Originally Posted by Amecha View Post
    lol Justa, that was me. Went to try a glide off of the top of the spire and fell like a ton of bricks right in the middle of the lake/pond below. I created a hatchling on Blight just to test the glide, but no matter where I tried, I still fell like normal. Is there something I'm not doing? I can't catch air! lol
    Arf... well... on blight... you have to enable the option in Options.. can't remember where it is exactly, but it's at the bottom of the list of random other settings, where you can choose to display combat actions etc.

Once this option is enabled... just jump off an edge.

Rakku

... just jump off and edge. BUT, don't have your free-look pointed down. You can have the camera pointed down though.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Thread Information