Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Client 382.1.0 discussion

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: Client 382.1.0 discussion

Chasing, do you have to have the client installed twice to use separate character def files or prevent any cross-client overwriting errors that cause one or the other or both instances to crash?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

One installation, just running the blight exe multiple times at the moment. Seems to be stable so far, Just porting is chewing the hard disc.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Chas: what video card do you have?

If nobody has mentioned this before, now is a good time to mention it:
    I believe the client does not have any sort of synchronization, file locking or other mechanism to prevent multiple instances from writing to the same file.

In most cases, this won't pose a problem. In some cases, it can lead to a corrupted world cache or corrupted preferences. Try to avoid porting both clients to the same place simultaneously (let one load completely first) if you haven't visited the area since clearing the cache. Don't diddle with client-wide preferences while both (or all 3?) clients are running.

Good luck, and treat the multiple-instances ability as an unsupported feature. If using it causes your HZ install to blow up, your hair to fall out, or your colors to bleed in the wash, don't complain -- otherwise this nice feature may get removed.

Graphics Card is a

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTX
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 768.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I need to try running the multiple instances for a while, see if anything strange happens.

Yep Steel I have a couple of backups floating about if my system corrupts
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Ah! Thanks. I was wondering why you were able to open 3 instances. I can only do 2, then hz fails to open another 3d device.

I have also tested this yesterday and it worked fine (on Chaos even). I ran it twice from the same installation directory. Though I have not tested being in the same place with both characters, so I don't know if this will cause problems, but it seems Chasing had no problems with it.

The only problem I was having, was with my dual monitor setup. Running both windowed games on the same monitor worked very smooth (60 fps and 40 fps, in quite places). But when I moved one of the windows to my 2nd monitor, both instances of the game were cut down on the fps, by more than half.
    This problem has occured to me more often in another form: while normally running one instance in windowed mode and stretching this window across two (or more?) monitors, the same issue arrises. A solution I found to this, is to configure the nVidia drivers in such a way, that Windows thinks there is one large monitor with a resolution of 3200x1200 instead of two times 1600x1200.
    This problem might have nothing to do with the game, could very well be the drivers playing tricks or Windows itself.
    Fidri Ragnir of Unity, dwarf cleric, amongst the living once again
    Firnas Ragnir of Chaos, elf warrior apprentice

The slow performance on the second monitor is normal. I think you can't get 3d acceleration on the secondary display. The fix, as you've discovered, is to enable your video card's virtual display. Nothing out of the ordinary here, unfortunately.

I tested running 2 instances of the client this morning for a about 4 hours.

I was running both clients at max settings and I had the following

1. Slow down of the hard disc making world cache load time longer

2. FPS running at approx 20ish on both clients (normally I would get a lot more but that is also dependant on the computer I use)

3. 2x Random disconnects with no error messages when porting one of the clients (no error message).

4. 1x Massive crash after a couple of hours (however I think this was more likely the client memory leak when porting problem. My system always crashes when it hits over 2GB of mem use on a client). Unfortunately it looks like one client crashed and pulled the other down as well. The graphics card then locked in a loop and the computer did a blue screen shut down. Rebooted system and there didnt appear to be any corruption (except for the normal crash with vault open bug). There was a massive lag spike for me when logging back into the game afterwards. I need to remember to relog both the clients after a couple of hours to avoid that.

5. Lag - I couldnt tell any difference in lag between the 2 clients (if anything it was running quicker than using 2 separate computers). Have mainly used for crafting at the moment, unless you have a dual monitor system as Fidri mentioned fighting may prove difficult.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Chasing, do you have 2 different harddrives installed on your system? Maybe having 2 HZ installs on different drives would help. I notice a real difference between my XP machine (2 harddrives, HZ on a different one than the OS and PF) and my Vista Machine (1 HDD). With HZ on one disk there are noticable client side lagfests whenever Vista decides to touch the disk. (I presume that the OS has a higher priority than HZ does, so it can rip control away, which causes the client to momentarily freeze.) Anyway, 2 HDDs might help with the client-lag, since HZ reads and writes to the drive constantly.

Only one hard drive unless i rip one out of another computer, the hard disc slow down doesnt make the game unplayable just adds 5-10 secs to the world cache displaying fully. But yes good idea, another hard drive would help a lot.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    I just discovered the multiple instances of the client on one computer

http://www.bristugo.com/node/756?size=_original

yay
    I have used that one on Chaos by loading the blight client and running it there .. seems to work fine on my PC with 2 instances .. although I do have 4g RAM which might help a lot.. ran fine for 6 hours without crashing or degenerating in FPS to a problem amount

Been using the blight client on chaos for about a week now and it is stable the majority of the time. 2 Things do jump out at me thou

1. Random crashes when teleporting - Intermittently when porting the client will crash to desktop for no reason with no error message. Happens when using just one instance or multiple instances. If I am using multiple instance then just the instance that I was porting with will crash and the other(s) will remain running.

2. Memory Leak - There doesnt seem to be any change with the client memory leaking. Seems to be the same as with the version of the client on live. What affects me is that if I get to the 2GB vitual memory usage point the client will crash (this happens to me with the normal live client as well) and lock up the computer (just crashes to desktop on live client). I have to keep relogging every couple of hours (If i remember). Then again I am not sure if this new version of the client was meant to deal with some of the memory leaking problems. Teleporting seems to be the main cause of the memory leak.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I've been playing with multiple instances today, and I've noticed that both instances are using the same core of the CPU (I have a dual core), so one is overused while the other, well, is lazying.
    I was wondering if there is a way to force the two instances to use a different core, so the performances would probably increase.

Open your task manager (Windows one), right click the processes and set their Affinity to different cores.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by tramsan View Post
    Open your task manager (Windows one), right click the processes and set their Affinity to different cores.
    Thank you much Tramsan. Now the framerate is not bad at all

Looking through the thread, I'm not seeing any major issues that say "don't put this live" the way we've had with some other client builds. I see notes about crashes and leaks, but can't tell if they were caused by this client build, or "leftover" in it, is why I make that statement.

Would those who have tested this agree with that? Any red flags that need to be fixed before we take this live?

I still don't think its ready to be posted to live, I am still crashing a lot when porting, although this is happening intermittently it is happening with more frequency that using the current client on live. I have tried with updated graphics card drivers and beta drivers but the problem is still occurring. I might be an isolated problem with the graphics card I am running but I know of a couple of other ppl running the blight client on live that is causing them to crash on porting as well.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing View Post
    I still don't think its ready to be posted to live, I am still crashing a lot when porting, although this is happening intermittently it is happening with more frequency that using the current client on live. I have tried with updated graphics card drivers and beta drivers but the problem is still occurring. I might be an isolated problem with the graphics card I am running but I know of a couple of other ppl running the blight client on live that is causing them to crash on porting as well.
    I agree with chasing, the client is far too unstable to be released. I crash very often after a teleport with this client, but not with the live one, so it must be related.

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    I agree with chasing, the client is far too unstable to be released. I crash very often after a teleport with this client, but not with the live one, so it must be related.
    I also concur - I get a crash about every 2-3 teleports or recalls on Blight .. never have this problem on Chaos

Have to agree, there are still major crashing problems with recalling/portalling. It is extremely intermittant, but when it is bad it is very bad (crash on first recall after logging in over and over). I have also gone for 6+ hours with many many ports and no crashes.

I have noticed a trend; I seem to crash much more on Blight than on Order. Is there a difference in the way blight and live transmit thier data that might be causing this? Maybe Blight with its lower hardware setup can't stream out the data fast enough and misses something critical that the client can't continue without?

Drev

Thread Information