Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista SP1

Default Re: Vista SP1

Answered that one myself. Permissions don't apply on secondary HDDs, and HZ runs just fine on a second drive.

I hadn't realized just how much disk access Vista requires. The game is much less jumpy (no more random 1-5 second freezes), the framerate is +10 FPS (just like XP for that one), and loading/porting is substantially faster (just like XP for that one too)

One of the main things to fix with Vista is Data Execution Prevention (DEP). It does just what it says, and that means PROGRAMS WON'T RUN!!!

I currently have NO problems with Horizons. I DO NOT run compatability mode. I have Horizons in the DEP OFF list.

To get to DEP:
    Control Panel/Systems & Maintenance
    Choose Advanced System Settings (at the bottom)
    Choose the Advanced tab in the System Properties window
    Choose the first Settings button (in the Performance field)
    Choose the Data Execution Prevention tab
    You can choose either radio button - if you choose the second, you will have to add Horizons to the list of programs below

turn DEP ON for essential Windows programs and services only

turn DEP OFF for selected programs, add Horizons to the list (and any other high-end programs - I also have several supposedly Vista friendly programs there that would not work otherwise)

My system - Everex T5100 laptop
    AMD Turion(tm) 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-1.50 1.60 GHz
    3071 MB (I have 4 GB installed but buggy Vista can't see all of it)
    32 bit OS - Vista SP1

I had forgotten about this switch until trying several times to get Horizons running. I flicked it and Voila! No problems whatsoever.

Hmm DEP isn't new, but to think Vista has it enabled on ALL applications/services by default is ludicrous.

Windows XP has it enabled for Windows and essential services only, by default.

Quote Originally Posted by serebren View Post
    One of the main things to fix with Vista is Data Execution Prevention (DEP). It does just what it says, and that means PROGRAMS WON'T RUN!!!
    Nope, just tried this, and it doesn't work after a restart. And in any case I've managed to get HZ to run numerous times with DEP fully on, so I doubt that is the problem.

*sigh* Here we go again...

I've been running Horizons without a any trouble for a few months now using the RC of SP 1 for Vista and figured it was high-time to update to the proper Service Pack but since doing so I can't get Horizons to run again.

Updated the drivers, re-installed HZ, restarted ad nauseam but no avail. Any ideas on what to try next would be appreciated. ,-)

Edit: By the way, what happened to the "Consistently running under Vista" thread?

Regards,
    Daryus,
    Daunilie

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Oops, seems it's just me that can't spell when I searched... Thanks Velveeta.

No luck trying the tips from that thread either though. ,-(

Encountered a slightly different problem on those rare occassions when the executable actually fires up under Vista that I was curious if anyone else has experienced or might know why it happens...

The game loads fine, get to see my avatar in the world with textures etc. but right after it's reached the point where the chats are loaded my screen goes black and 20-30 seconds after that the entire system freezes up forcing me to reboot.

Tried updating drivers, directx etc. thinking it was a problem with the graphics card not functioning properly.

Running HZ on Vista64 Ultimate,
    Dual-core intel 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2-800, GeForce 8800GTx

And should be noted that HZ is the only thing giving me any problems at all.

Regards,
    Daryus/Daunilie (Chaos)

Try deleting your worldcache folder. Dunno if that'll work, but it helps some people.

I have a similar problem, though the system can fix it without crashing. It is clearly a graphic driver problem.

Thank you Gopher, seems to have done the trick ,-)

Thread Information