Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving in protest

Default Leaving in protest

well, in protest of the new DP system, i am leaving. it won't have much impact until my sub runs out in august. and while i doubt the problem will last that long, if it does i will not be renewing my subscription. Would be a **** shame too, was planning on shelling out for another whole year.

Default Re: Leaving in protest

I think since your death points occurred prior to the patch (or at least that was my understanding), you shouldn't be penalized after the fact for it.

Maybe put in a ticket and see if they can reduce your death point timer to 88 hours (11 DPs * 8 hours each).

i don't really care that i have 11 death points adn that it will herefore be 12 days before i can play again. what pisses me off is the new system as a whole. i am really really dissapointed in Vi here. they responded to confectioner school not ammounting to much by giving severe punishment to adventurers. if they wanted confectioner school to be more important they could have simply made the new food system without jacking up the DP system to go with it. if tehy don't either A: put the DP back to 8 hours per, or B: drastically improve the effect and availability of foods. they have lost my subscription. i really hate to do it, i'm in teh middle of my ARoP (which is why i have 11 DP) and it depresses the hell out of me to hink of leaving the game, and all my friends, especially now, but i'm not gonna put up with this crap. I suspect a good deal of players will feel the same way about it, but even if i end up being the only one to leave over it, i'm still going.

i really, -really- hope it won't come to that. hopefully Vi will wake up and smell the rancid aroma of failure and fix things, but until that happens....

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post
    i don't really care that i have 11 death points adn that it will herefore be 12 days before i can play again. what pisses me off is the new system as a whole. i am really really dissapointed in Vi here. they responded to confectioner school not ammounting to much by giving severe punishment to adventurers. if they wanted confectioner school to be more important they could have simply made the new food system without jacking up the DP system to go with it.
    I am with you on that. I hate this new dp thing... with that other update that has to do with the blight working together to kill stuff, I (and I'm sure many others) will already be stacking up hours and hours worth of DPs. It is already a pain to hunt on Elnath... Its especially hard for us dragons, because we can't multiclass. >.-.<
    ~Proud owner of~
    ~www.istaria-club.deviantart.com ~

Though we never met Shur, I hate to see you leave

but I totally understand and agree with you and Scaleth.

I´m not willing to support the new system. Having 40 craft levels to go with one and 100 lairshaper levels to go with my other dragon, I do not have to atm.

But you and all the others who play RoP or ARoP have to.
    And Satyr islands are danger zone now

*sigh* I doubt, wether there is a short-term solution.

All the best to you Shur, maybe- after a time out- we meet for the rift

Satyr islands have always been a danger zone, and require strategy, as well as some judicious fleeing (at times).

There have been numerous complaints regarding the lack of need for grouping.

This could be seen as a means to promote group hunting.

I do think that issues with lag that result in stuttering, abilities not going off or getting stuck and spell delays SHOULD be fixed so that any death point is one earned through honest endeavor, and not due to gameplay issues.

I also think that with the new deathpoint system, players will need to exercise more caution in how they approach potentially life-threatening situations.

On the positive side, it should reduce the powerleveling groups comprised of rated 10-50 players in areas far beyond their means, i.e., T5/T6 mobs.

Shur, I think you should give hunting a chance again at the expiration of your death points and give the confectioners a chance to stock their wares. I hope you try to give the system a chance and change your mind about quitting.

I also think you should petition to have your death timer knocked down to what it was when you gained the death points, but that's for you to decide. But I personally feel that it's grossly unfair for you to be saddled with the penalty after the fact.

I went to the islands not to long ago, I'm still praying the new client will fix things to a point but... This DP penalty shouldn't be put in until they make the combat side of the game a little more forgiving.

It sucks to fight 2 guys you know you can take, and then because the server has caught up to itself... 20 guys appear around you. I also see mobs ping pong around a bit, it's hard to target them and hard to keep hold of their agro at times. =/ People die.

Oh well....

I've still got a lot of crafting to do, guess I'll stick to that mostly.

It's really sad to see you go Shur =(

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Not the only one, I had 25 Dp's when it went live so i to cannot hunt the mobs i need to.
    Rating is a problem that i see now, How are you supposed to fight a monster that was a 50/50 before and now with the added risk of a penalty.

If i get 1 Dp now i'm at full penalty forever.....

75% and what would i be hunting then? Anything the same lvl or lower than me and i dont get xp anyway. Is it the intention to force everybody to farm trophies?

Now i know i just need to get used to the new system but i do think they should have 'wiped' the exsisting Dp's to give everybody a chance.

I cant even use food to get rid of the DP's as their is none available for my lvl yet as people seem to be either stockpiling it or just not able to make it yet.

Poorly implemented, not the best thing to do with a 'game-play' change by starting off by hurting half the active hunting population.

I also hope their gonna change the argo on Healers aswell? (Ie, being the first targeted allways or for using a heal) what will be the point of having a healer in the group when he's to busy healing himself for risk of a Dp than to worry about the rest of the party?

Playing devils advocate. What if it was the standard XP or even Body retrieval that other games had? I think the problem is that it was so "easy" with no/such a weak death penalty before that now a real death penalty was added people hate it. But I can agree with the clearing the DP, but guessing that they had no easy way to do it. Would be a waste of resources to code somethign to remove all the death penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    I also hope their gonna change the argo on Healers aswell? (Ie, being the first targeted allways or for using a heal)

Tier 6 Grunts (Ghosts, Skeletons, Zombies and Mummies over level 100) are now more social, more aggressive and will call for help (and heals). However, the aggro radius is now hard (it will not scale with level) and the aggro generated by healing has been tweaked (reduced some).
    Reduced some.
    If it's still a problem, they can reduce more. If they reduced too much and then had to backtrack, players would really be screaming.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

From being a Primary Healer out by the blights in a group, i can tell you from experiance the Healers are ALLWAYS targeted first
    Even if a mage uses a bomb on them and they get targeted, as soon as we try to heal the mage the blights swap targets to the healer.

The only way around it now seems to be using healer as a secondary school, which sort of defeats the point of wanting to play as a Healer, not just a Druid with secondary healer.

As for hunting (Ghosts, Skeletons, Zombies and Mummies over level 100) I'm not mad?????
    With their debuffs and group agro i wouldn't last 2 mins.

Playing this game more than 4 years now, I never cared about dp`s, and I still don`t do. But I never had so much of them to worry about. Even not when I hunted comps on satyr islands. One day spent with crafting or in another game, and it was done.
    As it is said before it`s a question of strategy and fleeing and calculated risk.
    But you need to be experienced to know the "how to`s".
    So the lower levels might get demotivated by the new system, and even I will now think twice to join an unexperienced group if the aim is e.g. Fafnir^^

Like lots of other players I have to steel my time for gamin`from RL- I simply do not have the time to sit around in a tavern and wait for my dp`s to disappear.

""On the positive side, it should reduce the powerleveling groups comprised of rated 10-50 players in areas far beyond their means, i.e., T5/T6 mobs.""

I can`t agree to that-maybe I missed something^^
    Being a low level myself months ago (thirtysomething) I often used to follow my friends to "higher places"- lol, well- powerleveling is something different:
    did you ever count the xp of low level chars if the other groupmembers are between 80 and rating more than 150???
    And btw: The little ones hardly die in our groups-but learn a lot. Again a question of experience and mastery

Ohh yes- our healers die much too often- as everybody can SEE

I appreciate your position on this Shur and others as well. I wanted to address your concerns.

First, I'd be happy to remove your DPs since you had so many when the new system went live. Just submit a ticket and include that I said I'd do it.

Second, I recommend giving those players who are Confectioners a chance to build up a stock of food so that it is available. Trust me, it will be. There is a period of time when it is painful, just like there was with Lairshaper when it first went live.

Third, it is much better for us to begin with a harsh system and then adjust it towards a more lenient / easier system for players than to go the other way. The one key thing we need is real actual feedback. Not knee-jerk feedback (though I can certainly understand it with 11 DPs).

So, please, I recommend giving Confectioners a chance to build up their stock and then giving it a reasonable chance to see how it works. Post here in the forums with your feedback and we will all work together to tweak the system so that it strikes a good balance.

Thank you.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thank YOU Amon, for being aware and listening

Shur.... you need to stick it out, Amon is offering you an olive branch (though olives are not in the game) and Aarazth and the guild will miss you as you always brought fun to our guild chat window. Who will your mate have to whack with the RUNP?

Also, the system is new, only days old, heck, I haven't found where I can get bananas so I can make a banana split :9

Plus, if there is anything we can help you with in-guild to help complete your AROP you should ask, we are always (when we are on) able to give you a paw (little one or big one)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    I appreciate your position on this Shur and others as well. I wanted to address your concerns.

First, I'd be happy to remove your DPs since you had so many when the new system went live. Just submit a ticket and include that I said I'd do it.

Second, I recommend giving those players who are Confectioners a chance to build up a stock of food so that it is available. Trust me, it will be. There is a period of time when it is painful, just like there was with Lairshaper when it first went live.

Third, it is much better for us to begin with a harsh system and then adjust it towards a more lenient / easier system for players than to go the other way. The one key thing we need is real actual feedback. Not knee-jerk feedback (though I can certainly understand it with 11 DPs).

So, please, I recommend giving Confectioners a chance to build up their stock and then giving it a reasonable chance to see how it works. Post here in the forums with your feedback and we will all work together to tweak the system so that it strikes a good balance.

Thank you.

as i said, my problem is not with 11 DP, it's the fact that if a get a DP it will take 25 hours to be gone. my standard practice has been to play until i get 3-5 DP, then play something else until they all fade. under the new system this means i would play HZ about a quarter as much as i do now. i have never particularly cared for running to bristugo and wasting an hour and twenty silver cramming down food to get rid of one or two DP, and i don't see that i will want to do so even with new food. if a system were impleted which allowed dragons to eat what they kill (say, killing a field of deer and eating the carcasses wipes half a DP or so) i would be cool with that, but being forced to either A) not play for 3-5 days (or 4-7 when i get to 100) or B) go run to the Naka foodmasters would ruin the game for me. it means either A) i am not playing it, or B) I am a slave to Peds, something i hardly intend to tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Aarazth and the guild will miss you as you always brought fun to our guild chat window. Who will your mate have to whack with the RUNP?
    heh, Aara hardly ever plays HZ anymore unless i bug her to get on, she finds the game in it's pre-DP-change state to be too punishing to bother. I would indeed sorely miss my fellow Timeless members, but this change would reduce the game to little more than a chat program for me, and i'm not paying for a chat program.

like i said, i'll be back in game when things are changed to make it worth playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shur
    my standard practice has been to play until i get 3-5 DP, then play something else until they all fade. under the new system this means i would play HZ about a quarter as much as i do now.
    You could change tactics and try to avoid collecting death points, as to me, 3-5 death points seems like a horribly high number and, speaking for me, I wouldn't continue to play in the same manner if I had even 2-3 death points. I think part of the change is so that death points aren't seen as a casual, easily shrugged off occurrence.

i have never particularly cared for running to bristugo and wasting an hour and twenty silver cramming down food to get rid of one or two DP, and i don't see that i will want to do so even with new food.
    Under the old system, it took less than a minute to remove 2 death points eaten in a tavern by eating an ambrosia of the appropriate tier.

if a system were impleted which allowed dragons to eat what they kill (say, killing a field of deer and eating the carcasses wipes half a DP or so)
    I see this as a "free of charge" DP removal system. Perhaps a dragon vendor with special dragon-type tiered death point removal system, at an extremely high cost (at least the cost of ambrosia @ T6), that took the same amount of downtime as a biped meal, with a similar cool down on it, would be a viable alternative. You could also enslave your guild's resident confectioner and force him to provide you meals and sing/dance for you while you eat his food.

There's some quote about an ounce of prevention, but I don't remember it and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Anyway, good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Creme View Post
    Under the old system, it took less than a minute to remove 2 death points eaten in a tavern by eating an ambrosia of the appropriate tier.
    which makes up for being expedient by being horrendously expensive.

ok, read a few poss again, and this struck me as rather odd:

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Third, it is much better for us to begin with a harsh system and then adjust it towards a more lenient / easier system for players than to go the other way.

this is the sort of approach you take for punishing someone for misbehaving badly. i mean, seriously? who the hell wants to play a game that treats them harshly? You aren't running a POW camp here, you don't need to be extra harsh for fear of appearing weak...

I see this as a "free of charge" DP removal system. Perhaps a dragon vendor with special dragon-type tiered death point removal system, at an extremely high cost (at least the cost of ambrosia @ T6), that took the same amount of downtime as a biped meal, with a similar cool down on it, would be a viable alternative.
    how would this be -any- different than a biped going to a tavern keeper and eating a meal, except that it would not cost coin?
    Last edited by Shur; March 28th, 2008 at 04:07 AM.

Thread Information