Thread: The Death of a Realm

Default The Death of a Realm

I’ve wrote the Story from the perspective of my character Takora Drakan, she’s a Lunus dragon. The story is about the cruel end of the Unity Realm.

Sorry for grammatical errors or typos, English is not my mother tongue.

The Death of a Realm

It was a day like every day in our world, for the lesser races at least. They had long ago lost their instinct to sense the life stream of the mother of our realm, Istaria.

But the older races, like the dragons, could still sense the life stream that was floating through the whole Unity realm. Through it was not like every dragon had this talent, only the oldest among us where able to see and sense the flow. Only some very exceptional Naka-Duskael where able to feel the life stream. Some got this gift from Istaria at their birth, the others had to lean to feel her life stream through very long and hard studies. Several studied their whole life to feel the stream, but never where able to feel it.

Takora Drakan, daughter of Drulkar, father of all dragons, had this gift. But it was more like a curse, to see Unity slowly die, and she hardly could do anything about it.

The lesser races did their work as usual, crafting, hunting and living together in peace. Takora was sitting high above Dralk and looking down to the gate area. Dragons and bipeds where doing busy their work in Dralk. Wings where flapping next to her and she felt the cold wind on her scaly skin. A purple dragon landed next to her and joined her in the sitting around. “Greetings Lovwyrm.� she said, without stopping to look down. “Hello my golden shining Sister!� Lovwyrm said happy and grinned at her. But Takora did not return the grin of Lovwyrm. “Why are you so depressed Takora? Sister, what lies heavy on your golden heart?� “Istaria is slowly dieing, Unity gets slowly corrupted by the Blight of the Withered Agies as we speak.� she said grim. “But how? The undead didn’t make any movement in the last months towards us. It also seems the Blight goes back to the East.� Takora laughed bitter. “That Blight what we “see�, it is only the surface of all. The Withered Agies channel their power now into the heart of Unity, into the life stream. If the life stream gets too much corrupted, the balance will break and Unity will die.� The golden dragoness struck her right claw into the massive stone under her, breaking a piece out of it and showing it her sister. “See, this stone…� She crushed it into dust between her massive claws and showed Lovwyrm the dust. “No ancient dragon can so easy break the massive rock of Dralk. Istaria is weak, as so all what it connected to the life stream. Like the stone, the trees, the animals and also we, the living races.� Takora said serious. “We get weaker every day that passes…� A small breeze passed by and took away the dust from Takora’s claw. Lovwyrm’s face turned sad. “But aren’t the undead connected to the life stream? Can’t we do anything about it? Please tell me!� Takora looked at Lovwyrm. “If you loose you’re connection to the life stream you die… So the undead aren’t connected to it. They do everything to destroy us. Also I can feel the blight energy that pollutes Istaria’s life stream. It feels… familiar.� Lovwyrm seemed puzzled. “How you mean sister?� “I don’t know if the elders told you the story about the three old realms, you where born after the three ancient realms of Ice, Wind and Earth merged together into our realm, Unity. “ The purple dragoness looked very interested at Takora. “Please tell me the story!� Takora showed her sister a toothed grin.

“I was born in the realm of Earth. The three realms existed next to other in peace, they lived all on their own, but they where still connected to each other. If a realm dies, it can shatter other realms or damage them so heavily that they die also, or recover slowly. On all three realms the Withered Agies started the ritual to destroy the life stream of Istaria. Alone the life energy of one realm was too weak to stop the ritual, but if the three realms worked together, or merged they could stop the ritual. So back in the old days we build in the Vielo the Novo Machine. A giant machine, that was able to unite Ice, Wind and Earth realm into one new stronger realm. So we built all together the Novo machine with haste to stop the undead and we succeeded. Short after the Novo Machine was finished it worked together with the other two ones and merged all realms into one.� “How does it feel when realms merge together?� “I cannot describe it, but… it felt like a long regenerating sleep. We all stood together in front of the Novo chanting, then the novo activated, a bright light gloomed from it and covered all in this light. It felt so farm and cosy, I felt secure and happy. I was flying but I don’t flapped with my wings, but I was flying. I felt how the life stream grew stronger and stronger. It purified itself from the blight and shot its power against the Withered Agies. The ritual was destroyed and also the person who evoked it. I woke up at the Dralk shrine. I saw familiar faces and new ones. We all where happy that the Withered Agies where pushed back again. So we called our new realm Unity, we united our all power to stop the undead.� Takora smiled a bit while she was remembering the good old days. “What a beautiful story ancient sister.� Lovwyrm smiled at Takora.

Takora’s expression faded back to a sad one. “But this time we can’t merge again with other realms. I know that there are at least three other ones out, Order, Chaos and Blight are they called. But … they are too far away… besides, the merge erased our memory how to build the Novo. I’m one of the few that even remembers the Novo and the merge. Also the blight… it feels familiar but other this time, so much stronger, so much more evil in it and the thirst for it to corrupt the life is so much more powerful.� “But, what we can do Takora? We have something to do! We can’t give up my sister! We Lunus fight until the bitter end!� “Even some time a Lunus has to know when there is no hope my Lovwyrm.� The purple dragoness stood up and roared at Takora. “We Lunus fight until the end! I will not let Istaria and Unity die! I will not sit here like you and wait for the slow end! I will fight and stand side by side with my friends and relatives! I will consult the council of the elders and tell them that we have to strike now, else we will be too weak to defeat the undead!“ Takora looked at her. “We will see us again on the battleground my sister, I will be there when the final war starts.� Lovwyrm saw in Takora’s azure blue eyes the embers of Drulkar burn, like in the old times. “When my blood turns into ice, my sister!� Lovwyrm bowed deep before the sitting Takora. The golden dragoness returned the bow also. “When my burning blood turns into ice, my sister!� After that, Lovwyrm jumped off the cliff, spread her violet wings out, and flew away. Takora looked off the cliff and said “Drulkar, Istaria, all goods of our world, please help us in these dark times..:� Then she also jumped off the cliff and prepared for battle.

A few weeks passed, and also now the lesser races recognized that something was wrong. Plants stopped growing, even died without a reason. Animals got ill and where weak, also the creatures that lived and the Gifted. The Gifted prepared for war and started to defend their outposts and cities. Also Withered Agies started to move with a giant war machine, lead by their horror generals. Reklar Plaguebearer leaded his army followed by his greatest soldiers. Son of Gigaroth, Fafnirr the Defiler, Dankor, Gruk and many others. The black wave of death corrupted the land where it passed and twisted the creatures into shadows of their self. Sadly, Harro fell fast, despite the efforts of the Gifted to hold the outpost. The Gifted war line was pushed back till the Imperial outpost. They fought hard and where able to hold the line. But with every day their life power faded slowly and they got weaker. The time was on the undead side sadly. The Gifted knew they had to strike now, it was their last battle.

The sky was dark, thunder painted creepy pictures in the sky. We all stood side by side, claw on claw, feet on feet, and paw on paw. In front us, not much far away the undead army. They stood just there, knowing that the time worked for them. The nature around us was dead since weeks. It was slowly killed by the blighted rain that was falling. We had not seen the sun long time. A few weeks ago a bright green light flashed from the east. It turned instantly the sky into a black-green nightmare. The beautiful sun vanished, and it rained all the time this acid-like horror from it.

Now we stand here, we have nothing to loose, our world is dead. We want revenge for what they did with our beautiful world. Again, it started to rain. It felt like needles that are drilling through my thick scales. It was even hard to breath, every breath was pure pain. Like when you are breathing in flooding lava. But proud we stood, in front of our enemy. Our claws sharpened our swords strong and our will unbreakable. Dragons flew high up in the sky and stood on the ground. Their mighty roars filled my burning heart with hope. We will fight till the end and more. Our army of Gifted was ready to give all in this last battle.

Our human commander raised his sword in the dark sky and all let their mightiest battle roar out to show the undead that we are not yet defeated. So I did, I roared with all the remaining power I had my anger to the undead. I will not let them win, no matter what it costs you abominations! The commander gave us a sign and we started to run against the Withered Agies frontline. Mages chanted their spells, archers threw their arrows, and dragons where ready to kill the undead with their mighty breath weapons. I ran as fast as I could, ready to unleash my lighting breath at Reklar. But then again a flash from the east, like weeks ago. All ceased movement and looked to the east. A giant explosion unleashed a pressure wave in our direction. It was so fast, it was only a matter of seconds until it was here. And then, it hit the two armies with all it’s might.

I was thrown back, lifted from my feet and flied backwards in the air. I could barley in this black cloud of dead and I felt nothing. All looked for me in slow motion. I saw how swords, shields and weapons broke like matches within seconds. Then I crashed on the ground with my back, I felt the wave rushing over me and the strong wind with it. And then, there was silence.

As I opened my eyes again, I saw darkness. I felt pain rushing through my entire body, but I stood up, regardless how much it hurt. I could not believe what I saw with my own eyes. The Withered Agies army stood there like before the explosion. Like the pressure wave don’t even touched them. Then I looked around to see the nightmare that now started.

All was blighted. The outpost complete destroyed. I looked back and only could imagine what horror happened to our cities, to Dralk, to Chiconis and the other Gifted Outposts. With one blast our entire continent got blighted. It was worse than a nightmare, it was hell. With anger I roared at the undead army, but they didn’t notice it even I think. Again I looked around. I saw our Gifted army, crushed and destroyed. Some had like me he power left to stand up, others just gave up and stayed on the ground with no hope left.

I felt how Istaria cried in pain, the life stream was now complete polluted by the blight, and I was so weak now that I could barely stand on my four feet. Again the earth rumbled. I felt dizzy because of my injuries, but looked in the distance. Black tendrils shot out of the blighted ground with their enormous barbs attached to them. I gathered my last power what was remaining in my body and rushed forward, in the direction of the undead army. But then suddenly, a black tendril shot out of the ground before me and grabbed my right feet. It lifted me up in the air and looped its twines with its barbs around me. The thorns cut into my hard scales. It hurt so much. I roared in agony and shot some flames out of my mouth to burn the black tendrils of death. But I don’t even could damage it much. My comrades fell prey the same destiny. They got captured by the blighted thorns and imprisoned in them. But it seemed it was not enough for the Withered Agies. The undead army proceeded slowly in our direction. I tried to escape, roared angry at the undead. But I only hurt myself with the thorns.

Reklar stopped in front of me. He said in a rough and evil voice “We have planned something more painful for you than dead Gifted. Since you can’t join us in our undead existence you will remain here as half dead, half alive, forever!� He laughed wicked. I roared at him, but I was so weak, I could even not more breathe fire. Reklar began to cast a spell. I couldn’t understand his words. As he was finished, out of the black tendrils that imprisoned us all came green, sticky liquid. The last thing I heard before the fluid covered my entire body where screams of my friends and my comrades. I could feel that my life energy slowly was absorbed by the blight liquid.

Please Drulkar, Istaria, all gods of Unity, please save us!

The black tendrils with their magic green liquid became the prison of the Gifted. Shortly after covering the entire body it would become hard as a diamond. But the gifted didn’t die, they where conserved like a fly in amber. They where still alive, but couldn’t move or do anything, and the blighted thorns where absorbing very slowly their life energy.

The Gifted are suffering by seeing their beautiful world die, unable to do anything. After more than a year imprisoned, their life energy runs out, if the gods don’t do something, they will soon die.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Default Re: The Death of a Realm

*polishes green slime away from Takoras scales*

"Wake up my Golden, the evil did not win- and never will-
    as long there are wings of all colors are in the air of Istaria,
    and our biped-friends of all kinds are on the ground.
    Let`s start anew- it only has just begun.."

(*fixes a precious earring in one of Tako`s ears, and whispers:" I was born on earth- as far as I remember"^^)

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    (*fixes a precious earring in one of Tako`s ears, and whispers:" I was born on earth- as far as I remember"^^)
    Bah sorry my memory gets dusty in this prison, it' more than a year isn't it?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Very nice. Well done, Takora!

I hope we'll get a (much happier) sequel one day.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information