Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Superficial Changes

Default Superficial Changes

Never thought Id see myself as superficial.

But today when I logged in and the istaria loader popped up. I miss the old dragon with banner. The new one that says istaria is very much not my cup of tea.

Feel free to move this to rants. I guess. I just hoped that it would be taken under advisement if someone other than a player read it. I assume most devs ignore the rants section.

It really is superficial and meaningless, I guess I'm just sentimental or trying to cling to times long past, but I already miss Horizons and the old loader.

Just one mans opinion.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Default Re: Superficial Changes

I like the logo, but I miss the dragon :/

I agree. Regardless of what I think about the name change, I feel the new logo/header needs some more work. It's very impersonal.
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

Rebranding is always a touchy thing, not to be done lightly. I am not saying that it was, just that it is going to inevitably irritate some players, more so for niche games like Horizons that rely so heavily on the social aspects.

For myself, I see the reason it was changed and can see merit in it, just like I can see merit in changing the domain instead. Both have pros and cons, but I am still going to miss that Dragon loader. Maybe they will let us skin that part of the launcher, and one of our modders can give it back to us nostalgic types one day :-)

Horizons extensibility is one of the things I really like about it. It is nice to have Blue's color hoard, the beta Casting animation (did they ever put that live again?), white horns and claws, and the original Ancient size :-)

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein

They did put the beta casting animation back in again, yes, and I think a bit more polished than what it was in beta (and therefore in the mod.)
    You're looking at now. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Incessantly prodding Gezsera while getting rid of hibernation hangover.

I will forever cherish my Horizons coffee mug with the logo (hey! it's a collector's item now!)
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    But today when I logged in and the istaria loader popped up. I miss the old dragon with banner. The new one that says istaria is very much not my cup of tea.
    I didn't even know they had updated the game until I read this and brought the launcher up. That's what I get when RL doesn't let me log in for 3 days...

If you don't like the loader image, can't you replace it with your own? I was always under the impression that that was a choice.

It's a nice clean modern logo, but for me it lacks the "tingle factor" of the old boy.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

The black open space at the top looks odd- like someone forgot to color it in or add a different graphic.

It took me a few seconds to realize it is supposed to match the "loading section" of the bottom, but it still looks unfinished to me.

I dont know but the creature on the logo is supposed to be a dragon or? For me it looks like a griffon *shrug*

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

i always thought the old logo would look great on a black shirt, still wish i could get one.

the stylized dragon of the logo is fitting for a new (re) introduction of the game to market, i suspect we might see formal advertizing next? timed with the tier II revamp, could be an effective relaunch. i look forward to where virtrium is taking istaria :-)

I too preferred the old logo/font. The new one seems hastily done, for a lack of a better way of putting it. Not bad-- just lacking somehow. I realize I'm probably far too late in saying it, but should the team need assistance in designing a new logo or any branding items, I'd be happy to assist.

That said, I do understand and respect the changes.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

Same here, I logged in last night, saw the logo, and it made me feel like watching the opening credits of a soap opera. If they wanted to get away from Horizons name because it sounded like a dating service... that logo DOES NOT HELP!

It needs to look mean, less cutsie, and well... like the old logo.

Maybe have a logo creating contest, where the winner gets an emblem or something.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34

when i saw it i thought of an elf tree hugger immediatly....i think the elves are trying to take over again>.>

and if they were trying to match the name of the game with the web site why not just change the website?? www.horizons.com and if thats taken www.horizonseoi.com then lol eoi is empire of istaria

Default New Logo = Too Cute

I figured I better type this down in the Rants area as this is where it will end up

I don't mind the name change, to me it will always be Horizons. The original game logo, the login patching logo, all memories of what was called Horizons.

I can understand the logic of having to keep multiple URLs for the game and condensing it makes it simpler... but that logo when you are loading the game...

I am sorry, but that logo sucks... and I spoke with many guild members, and they think it sucks. It's not the fact the name changed, no, it is the fact that the logo represents a peaceful, serene feeling. I said in another post, it looks like it was created for a soap opera or a sitcom on television. Something that flashes on the screen just before we find out that Krack the dragon was found "flying" with another female dragon other than his mate... and the rumors are "flying" as well.

The simplicity of it from a "business" standpoint makes it easier to make shirts, business cards, logos, and the like, but it just doesn't represent ALL of Istaria. Rounded edges instead of sharp, soft colors instead of loud, war like colors, and the calm look on the dragon's head... all in this 2D bezeled text font that just does not fit the game.

Perhaps keep that logo for your "office business cards" but make us a logo we can be proud when we log into the game and point the login screen out to our friends and say, "This is the game I play"

While the basic idea of the new logo is nice, I'll have to agree that it seems quite unrefined compared to the previous one. Also, the fact that it is a boring old rectangle is a bit boring... ^^'

I think I must be missing what we're talking about.. I use the standalone launcher, and it doesn't seem to have changed?

oh no, wait.. 5 new files... oh. I see what you mean.. somehow it doesn't quite capture the spirit.. but it's nice and peaceful..
    Bobda Bilda (Chaos) - www.hzconfectioner.org.uk
    http://www.painefreecrafts.com - what takes up most of my spare time now..

Default Re: New Logo = Too Cute

Yeah. For me though, it wasn't the font or the peacefulness of the scene, it was the fact that it was just a screenie of the game. Everytime I see something like that it just screams cheap to me. I hope that's the temporary login logo.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I miss the fact that while it was a "boring old rectangle", originally it had twinkling stars, moving vines, and the dragon's eyes flashed.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Default Re: New Logo = Too Cute

It doesnt even look like a dragon, i looks like a chicken or griffon head for me ....

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Thread Information