Thread: Gold Burst

Default Gold Burst

Following the recent discussion of Gold Burst (the to-be-added-at-some-point Primal version of Gold Rage, for those who haven't heard of it), I thought I'd start up a suggestion thread so we can talk about it without clogging up the delta 140 threads.

Yes, I know it's not coming soon or anything, but hey - speculation is the unofficial Istarian national sport.

Here's what I'm thinking - dragons already have high damage output from hoard-based abilities. I'm a caster with all my TP in primal and power, but I still get massive damage from Gold Rage. My hit-rate's not bad either as I have T&C teched on my scales. When I get to ancient, I recall flame burst as being an AoE high-damage attack as well.

So why not give us some extra utility from this new primal ability. How about an AoE stun, mez or root? I'd like decent damage from it as well (maybe equivalent to 2-3 Galewinds on-level, which would still be much less than I get from GR as a caster), but the extra effect would compensate for not being as damaging as GR.

As for a name, give it a stun or mez and call it "Gold Flash" or something. I'd prefer to keep "Gold" in the name, as it's a good indication of a hoard-draining ability.

Not that I wouldn't welcome an exact copy of Gold Rage, but anything to give us a few extra tricks is welcome.

Default Re: Gold Burst

We have stun ability with scales, but it doesn't hit nearly enough. Root would be *very nice*, especially for those mobs who try and flee once you near the edge of their range.

Gold Flash is a nice idea... would this be faction-specific?

What scale stun are you talking about? The tech Eminence?
    Cauri BloodBane - Order
    100 DADV / 100 D C R A

Yes, sorry but I couldn't think of the name at the time. Having the ability to stun is nice, but Vengance scale (triple teched) is far more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Radier View Post
    Gold Flash is a nice idea... would this be faction-specific?
    I hope not... for one thing, those of us Lunus dragons who don't mind practicing a bit of magic now and again would never get to use it. Likewise, Helian dragons would miss out on Gold Rage. Assuming Gold Flash would go to the Helian faction, of course.

There's been suggestions to share the timers on Gold Rage and Gold Burst/Flash/whatever, so I don't think separating them between factions would be necessary. Especially since I'm one of those who believes that faction shouldn't determine fighting style. But hey.

Nope, no faction-specific abilities.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

They seem to be going with the idea of linked timers. Not linked to Factions. So you have the chose of going caster or melee, based off what ability you choose to use.

Agreed, faction segregation is evil
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

And yet the 2 Breath attacks (ice/lightning) recently messed about with are at the moment 'less than useless' and segregated now aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    And yet the 2 Breath attacks (ice/lightning) recently messed about with are at the moment 'less than useless' and segregated now aswell.
    Not for long.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

now that deserves a batch of Jayne's Paincakes

Your gonna have to let the belt out another notch with all the food i'm sending you recently

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    Agreed, faction segregation is evil
    Off topic perhaps, but, can we have a separation between philosophy and combat style please?

I like TC combat, but am intrinsically Helian by philosophy. Why can I not be a Helian TC fighter? Zura, one of my favorite dragons in game, does exactly this.. I am not saying the mechanics prohibit it, but strangely the lore is that if you want to like naka's, you have to be a helian and thus be a spell caster.

Allow me to get along with bipeds and also like TC.

Allow me to make my own life and living within this world

but strangely the lore is that if you want to like naka's, you have to be a helian and thus be a spell caste
    There are some inconsistencies in the lore, yes, but for the most part the philosophy towards naka, in particular humans, is separate from combat.

The lore states that Malganival Lunus was a warrior (as in he fought for his people, no mention of HOW he fought) and general (he led other dragons). On the other claw, Helian is listed as a scholar (as in she studied). No mention at all is made of her combat abilities or preferences.

For all we know, Malganival Lunus could have been one heck of a spellcaster while Helian could have been a blood-n-guts kind of Dragon.

Most of the misunderstand over the last four years has been because people misinterpreted these two statements about those dragons who began the two factions. Scholar versus Warrior.

The name of the biped school aside here is the official definition of terms.

Code:
    Warrior
    noun  1.a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
    Code:
    Scholar
    –noun  1.a learned or erudite person, esp. one who has profound knowledge of a particular subject.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

*Emissary hat on.*
    I have gotten the OK to say so. So to let you know coming soon. Breath weapons are being unfactioned. You will be able to learn both.

On Gold Rage I have no detail as not have been determined yet, but the feeling I get from this the breath change and other changes is that they are working towards giving us the option as dragons to focus more on T&C or Primal, so they are looking at creating Gold Burst as a Primal version of Gold Rage. They seem to be working towards creating duel linked abilities for such as these type of abilities. But keep in mind it is subject to change and what I say is no way official and may change before development starts on it.

I asked about unfactioning the skill and resist bonus but got no word on that. I feel that may be a little more work then they are ready for now but thats completely me.

*Emissary Hat off*

Is your hat a pointy hat? With stars?
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

well, if you're going to separate philosophy and combat style, could you please consider the toughness difference between both faction RoP ? Because the Lunus one is much easier than the Helian one.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    Is your hat a pointy hat? With stars?
    With "Wizzard" written on it?

I like the idea of separating the breaths from the factions, though I never thought of doing that. XD Now, if only they weren't going to end up on shared timers...

Ooh yay for unfactioned breaths, Pev loves ice and hates the fact she's stuck with just lightning. Not only that but she enjoys breathing on things to kill them More the better!
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

Learning both ice and lightning breaths? Oooh, nice. No problem with them being on the same timer - I rarely use anything other than fire.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what other changes are incoming. In particular the (long overdue) clarification that Helian != Primal-user and vice-versa. Being able to be a proper caster who doesn't have to rely on T&C skills at all will also be great.

Is there a caffeine / donut / pizza fund we can contribute to, to aid progress? Or is that bribery

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    *Emissary hat on.*
    I have gotten the OK to say so. So to let you know coming soon. Breath weapons are being unfactioned. You will be able to learn both.

On Gold Rage I have no detail as not have been determined yet, but the feeling I get from this the breath change and other changes is that they are working towards giving us the option as dragons to focus more on T&C or Primal, so they are looking at creating Gold Burst as a Primal version of Gold Rage. They seem to be working towards creating duel linked abilities for such as these type of abilities. But keep in mind it is subject to change and what I say is no way official and may change before development starts on it.

I asked about unfactioning the skill and resist bonus but got no word on that. I feel that may be a little more work then they are ready for now but thats completely me.

*Emissary Hat off*
    Excellent news!

Now if the combat buffs from the ARoP crystals could be combined into a single crystal or passive ability, we would be really cooking

Thread Information