Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea about Player crafted Crystals

Default Idea about Player crafted Crystals

An idea I about crystals I had one night. On a whole crystals are not that hard to get. I thought that if players could craft crystals in some form the "normal" crystals that are droped by undead could have thier drop rate reduced. This (( new crafting school or crafting branch) would be for Dragons only, but as you will read it will require a number of bi-ped crafted resources. The player made crystals will decay and will players will not be able to use them ( for exp gain or for the effect of 'eating' the crystal), with that players will still want to go out and hunt for the 'normal' crystal droped by undead. since they will not decay and can be used if the player so wanted to use them.

All crystals decay and cannot be recharged, cannot be used (so no consumed crystal effect or exp gain), can be crafted in 3 versions (mild, strong or potent) that have a different amount of charges : mild is the basic crystal, strong requires twice the resources to be crafted, and 3 times the amount of resources for the potent one. (( all amounts listed are for a Mild crystal.))

Stat crystals :

6 formulas, 1 per statistic :

Formula
    Requirement (minimum – optimal) : crystalshaping skill
    (beginner) Strength crystals
    (Tier-1)x 200 - (Tier)x 200 + (Tier-1)x25 (1-200 for T1)
    (beginner) Dexterity crystals
    Strength crystal req + 20 (20-220 for T1)
    (beginner) Power crystals
    Strength crystal req + 30 (30-230 for T1)
    (beginner) Focus crystals
    Strength crystal req + 50 (50-250 for T1)
    (beginner) Armor crystals
    Strength crystal req + 60 (60-260 for T1)
    (beginner) Health crystals
    Strength crystal req + 80 (80-280 for T1)

Each formula produces a random stat crystal, which can be : Armor, Weapon, Tool or Jewellery of the said statistic.

The crystal are :
    • +(10xTier +5) statistic (+15 for T1)
    • 500/1000/1500 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    Resources needed for 1 crystal :
    · 10 unfocused azulyte (Viridian fir T1, Cerulean fir T2 and so on.)
    · 10 imbued gems
    · 10 dark/radiant unfocused azulyte

The gem required is tied to the current Stat crystals in the game. For T1 garnet for the power/focus, Malachite for the str/dex, and Turquoise for the armor /hp. Then Dark azulyte is needed for dark crystals (Strength, Power and Health) while Radiant azulyte is needed for light ones (Dexterity, focus and Armor).

Imbued gems are a new item and made of:
    • 1 Cut gem
    • 1 Purified orb
    The imbued gems formula requires (Tier-1)x200 Transmutation to be scribed.

In example, for a light opal crystal, you’d need:
    • 10 unfocused Titan Azulyte crystals
    • 10 imbued Opal (10 Opals + 10 Purified Bright Orbs)
    • 10 unfocused Radiant Azulyte Crystals
    Cogs

2 formulas:

Formula
    Requirement (minimum – optimal): crystalshaping skill
    (Beginner) Basic Cogs
    (Tier-1)x 200 - (Tier)x 200 + (Tier-1)x25 (1-200 for T1)
    (Beginner) Advanced Cogs
    Basic Cogs req + 100 (100-300 for T1)

The Basic Cogs formula would produce the level 1,20,40,60,80,and 100 cogs, while the Advanced Cogs formula would produce the level 10,30,50,70,90 cogs.

Basic Cogs :

The crystal are :
    • Same stats as the current cogs, but can’t be used.
    • 500/1000/1500 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    Resources needed for 1 cog :
    · 10 unfocused azulyte (Viridian fir T1, Cerulean fir T2 and so on.)
    · 5 imbued Tricut Gems (Rough tri-cut for T1, Faceted tri-cut for T2 and so on.)
    · 5 tinkering gears (Bronze for T1, Iron for T2 and so on.)
    · Same comps as for the boon, bounty, blessings techs. And what the Tier 4, 5, and 6 would be.

Imbued tricuts gems are a new item and made of :
    • 1 Tricut Gem
    • 1 Purified orb
    The imbued Tricut gems formula requires 100 +(Tier-1)x200 Transmutation to be scribed.
    (100 min skill – 300 max skill for tier I )

In example, for a shining spellcrafter’s cog, you’d need :
    • 10 unfocused Crimson Azulyte crystals
    • 5 imbued Flawless Imbued Tricuts (10 Flawless Tricuts + 10 Purified Shining Orbs)
    • 5 Mithril tinkering gears
    • 33 Marble Bricks
    Advanced Cogs :

The crystal are :
    • Same stats as the current cogs, but can’t be used.
    • 500/1000/1500 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    Resources needed for 1 cog :
    · 10 unfocused azulyte
    · 10 imbued Tricut Gems
    · 10 tinkering gears
    · Same comps as for the blessings

In example, for a Bright Confectionner’s cog, you’d need :
    • 10 unfocused Titan Azulyte crystals
    • 10 imbued Brilliant Imbued Tricuts (10 Brilliant Tricuts + 10 Purified Bright Orbs)
    • 10 Cobalt tinkering gears
    • 125 Rosemary
    Speed and Velocity crystals

1 formula :

Formula
    (beginner) Hastened Crystals
    150 +(Tier-1)x 200 – 150 + (Tier)x 200 + (Tier-1)x25 (150-350 for T1)

The Hastened Crystals formula would produce Speed and Velocity crystals.

The crystal are :
    • Tier x3 Speed/Velocity
    • 750/1250/1750 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    · 10 unfocused azulyte Crystals
    · 10 imbued Tricut Gems
    · 10 tinkering springs
    · 5 raw (tainted for the velocity one) essence
    · 5 crystalized necrofly wings

crystalized necrofly wings are a new item and made of :
    • 1 Necrofly Wing
    • 2 Sugar
    The crystalized necrofly wings formula requires (Tier-1)x200 Preparing to be scribed.

In example, for a Glowing Crystal of Speed, you’d need :
    • 10 unfocused Amber Azulyte crystals
    • 5 imbued Beveled Imbued Tricuts (10 Beveled Tricuts + 10 Glowing Shining Orbs)
    • 10 Steel tinkering Springs
    • 5 raw Glowing essence
    • 5 crystalized Green necrofly wings
    Res/ward crystals :

7 formulas :

Formula
    (beginner) Magic Armor resistance crystals
    75 + (Tier -1)x200 – 75 + (Tier)x200 + Tier x 25
    (75 – 275 for T1)
    (beginner) Magic Jewelery resistance crystals
    (beginner) Magic Tool resistance crystals
    (beginner) Magic Weapon resistance crystals
    (beginner) Invulnerable crystals
    125 + (Tier -1)x200 – 125 + (Tier)x200 + Tier x 25
    (125 – 325 for T1)
    (beginner) Impenetrable crystals
    (beginner) Indestructible crystals

magic resistance crystals :

The 4 magic res formulas produce a random Armor/jewellery/tool/weapon crystal (depending on the chosen formula), which can be : energy, Ice, Fire, Spirit, Mind, Nature, Blight resistance crystals.

The crystal are :
    • +(10xTier +5) resistance/ward (+15 for T1)
    • 500/100o/1500 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    · 5 unfocused azulyte Crystals
    · 5 imbued Tricut Gems
    · 10 Dark Azulyte Crystals
    · 2 Blight Cores

In example, for a Glowing Resistance Armor Crystal, you’d need :
    · 5 unfocused Amber azulyte Crystals
    · 5 Beveled imbued Tricut Gems
    · 2 Glowing Blight Cores

melee resistance crystals :
    The 3 melee res formulas produce a random Slash/Crush/Pierce resistance crystal (depending on the chosen formula), which can be : Armor/jewellery/tool/weapon crystals.

The crystal are :
    • +(10xTier +5) resistance/ward (+15 for T1)
    • 500/1000/1500 charges
    • 200xTier hoard value
    · 5 unfocused azulyte Crystals
    · 5 imbued Tricut Gems
    · 1 Short spear/ Mace/Long sword
    · 1 large Shield

In example, for a Pale Crush Resistance Crystal, you’d need :
    · 5 unfocused Cerulean azulyte Crystals
    · 5 Faceted imbued Tricut Gems
    · 1 Iron Mace
    1 Iron large Shield

Me and Zexoin worked on this idea and this is what we came up with. Looking forward to any and all feedback.
    Last edited by Xyndro; May 18th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.
    Xyndro

Dragon of Order.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Default Re: Idea about Player crafted Crystals

Elder and wise.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

From thy words, it seems that this thing of shaping crystal could never have been possible ere the two legs had found their crafts, aye and advanced them to most complex forms.

I find this... puzzling. That a crystal set with virtue hath need of, in but example, a mace of iron? That a thing only draku may make, at a Crystal Shaping Table from long and past history it might be supposed... hath need of such things. Of complex things of two leg craft. Made for purpose quite un-related to the rough gems dug from the ground, gems mayhap held with care and pondered long ere first a cut was made, set shape and polish in wind and fire, snow and song...

But then I am but a Fool and what worth are the words of a Fool.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Before the Eii/PMI/Oh sales they had put up a big post about player crafted crystals and such. if it will ever happen now is anyones guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Before the Eii/PMI/Oh sales they had put up a big post about player crafted crystals and such. if it will ever happen now is anyones guess.
    I remember something about "gears". They could be combined by an alchemist to make better crystals. They were in the loot tables once, I have 2 of them somewhere. But they got somehow prefixed with OBSOLOLETE_*gear_name*, so that does not sound like something good.
    Fidri Ragnir of Unity, dwarf cleric, amongst the living once again
    Firnas Ragnir of Chaos, elf warrior apprentice

Ah, yes, the gears, you could combine cogs in a gear or at least that was the plan.

Being able to craft crystals, sounds good. Using blighted cores for a "surprise" effect on them - blighted crystals - would be nice too.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

i dont like decaying items/stuff but i like your idea and you put a lot of work in your suggestion!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    i dont like decaying items/stuff but i like your idea and you put a lot of work in your suggestion!!
    We wanted them to be decaying for the balance. It'd be far too easy to get all the crystals you want if they weren't

to hunt them is very easy too

and i thought Horizon shall be the game were the best stuff is crafted by crafters? by players?

and even if not: i still dont like decaying stuff ^^

I like the idea, almost all of it.

First off, I like your idea about decaying crystals. Thought that was pretty nifty.

Something about the gears and metal just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe a more comples sort essence, or something along those lines. If it's going to be a dragon school, don't make us rely on the bipeds just to make the final resource. (( No offense to you two-legged type, but we already give you enough love for your food ;D))

I also don't like the whole necrofly wing bit. It gives crafting that whole nudge into the adventuring aspect and it leaves a nasty taste behind it. Sure, it could "stimulate the economy" and all that, but, eh. I think having a relaxed economy is half of what makes the Istarian community so friendly. I'm not eager to see money and greed corrupt; and that's all those two ever do.

Make coin super valuable and you start getting those tells, "Buy gold, cheap!"

But, I'm ranting/rambling. Again. But there's my two copper's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    to hunt them is very easy too

and i thought Horizon shall be the game were the best stuff is crafted by crafters? by players?

and even if not: i still dont like decaying stuff ^^
    Decay is important to a truly functional crafting importance, but only if hunted items decay too.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Excellent post! I love the idea of player-crafted crystals and cogs, especially when it comes to decay. Players would be given the choice of buying crystals as necessary or hunting for their lootable counterparts among undead.

However, splitting required resources among bipeds and dragons? This I am not so fond of. I would rather set about creating a batch of crystals and not have to wait/beg for a biped to supply necessary components. I am all for player cooperation and stimulating in-game economy, but what if a biped isn't around or simply doesn't feel like making the resources necessary? As a Lunus I'd be pretty ticked.

Including reagents that are obtained, ultimately, by adventuring is another nice idea. Requiring such resources won't always lead to greed and corruption, since what is keeping you from hunting the resource yourself? Granted, if Purple necro wings are needed that may cause an issue since they were nerfed.

Huzzah for player-crafted crystals!

True enough, but then, what about the fellows who're 100 in craft and only 30 or so in adventure. Level itself is keeping them from acquiring the wings they need. And I still say you shouldn't /have/ to have a high level adventure in order to craft.

This is a very impressive bit of work; nicely done!

As Peladon pointed out, though, a dragon crafting school shouldn't depend on bipeds for resources.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    Decay is important to a truly functional crafting importance, but only if hunted items decay too.
    i fully agree to your statement

but if decay is added than it should be for all stuff (but im not sure if it fix the broken player-player economy

My whole Idea behind the bi-ped crafted item requirement is this. Crystalshaping has been lost to the living for a long time. Lairshaping made it’s return and with it crystal shaping, which made me think. If the living races of Istaria ever made the weapon, tool, jewelry, and armor crystals that knowledge has long been lost. Which would make the current living races have to relearn the skill.

Now coming from that idea of having to start from nothing, it is a lot easier to take the essence of something that is already made and then mold it into something new, then it is to create that essence from scratch for your purpose. In example the weapons and shield for the melee ward and resistance crystals. The maces already have the essence of crush damage and the shield has the essence of damage reduction and ward.

Ideally I wanted to use transmutation as the primary skill in making the crystal. Since it would in some ways make sense of the items being used. I thought some one would look at it and see that we are using transmutation to move the ‘essence’ of these items into the crystal and not the items themselves. Since we are making crystals here the crystal shaping skill just fit better.

Another reason for the bi-ped crafted items being required in a dragon only crafting school is, I did not want any single player to be able to make a large batch of these crystals with any real ease. There is meant to be a sizable challenge in making these crystals. Case in point, that speed/velocity crystal. The movement crystals are very rare, if they drop at all any more. That is why the necrofly wings are apart of the requirements, to increase the challenge of making them. All but the T6 necroflies are rather easy to kill, so finding the wings should not be all that hard.

Now as to the decaying and no recharge of the crystals. Making these crystals will be something that none of the living races has done in a very long time. The crystals will not be perfect, we do not have the knowledge or the experience to make crystals of the same quality of that dropped by the undead. (Thus no use and decaying). But that is why there are three stages to each one made. The simple crystal with the lowest amount of charges and resources needed. Then a stronger one with double the charges but takes twice the resources and then the strongest one with triple the charges but requiring three times the amount of resources.

Still they will all ‘leak’ the magic that makes them more then just a chunk of cut stone. That is how I saw them ‘decaying’ when it is more of a loss of power with these crystals due to the players no being able to craft a crystal able to hold the energies indefinitely. (An OOC reason behind the decay no use and no recharge of the crystals was, give the players something they could craft that would act like the dropped crystals so they could cut back the drop rate of the ‘normal’ crystals while insuring that the players would still want to go out and hunt for the now more rare crystals.)

As you have seen we only touched on three types of crystals in this thread. Stat: Strength, dexterity, power, focus, armor, and health, cog crystals for tools, and the ward and resistance crystals. Zexoin and me felt that is was a good base to start with. We also felt that some of the crystals should remain drop only. Such as the damage kicker weapon crystals so that there was more of a reason to hunt for crystals other then to find the non-decaying crystals. Also we left out the ‘of holding’ tool crystals that gave a boost to carrying capacity. Since they deal with dimensional manipulation we did not want someone sucking all of Istaria into the void by mistake when trying to craft one. In the end this was just an idea I had that I spoke with Zexoin about and it ended up turning into what you have read. Again please feel free to leave any remarks you have. And thank you.
    Last edited by Xyndro; May 19th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Xyndro

Dragon of Order.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Elder and Wise

Were I to speak all my thought, most like it would but sow discord.

But this I will say, and this alone.

If the land must change, and sure change it will and certain, then let at least that change have logic.

To speak of need of two leg making to imbue virtue... such as thy mace for crushing... when I may craft scales of virtue even with none such... Pfah. Strength and Fire, Dexterity... many virtues. And not one two leg need craft one thing. And two legs may do the same, two paths to similar destinations, aye and Fool I be, but I find no ill of that.

But to add more to this land that draku may not do without two leg aid... when they may not even gain their own nature _without_ such aid, whether it be Khutit form or Ancient wing... Twice pfah, aye and thrice times three.

I speak no word against those of two legs. And let any speak that I do and stand in peril of the True Flame's fire. Such need for making would trouble me not in mtter of simple practice. There is one near and dear to me that stands second to few in two leg making, aye and to fewer in two leg war. And I trow Sephiranoth might seek in the market for any need, aye and that need be met most swift.

We have no purpose to the two legs that is ours that I know, save wing to reach one small plant for Confection, and mandrake on the isle. And if the port there be ever whole, then two legs will walk the dragon isle also. Heh... I care little for or else to that since I walk among those that walk there only at need.

Let it be as it will. Let it be as it must. I am but a Fool and many are Wise.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Quote Originally Posted by Hraefn View Post
    True enough, but then, what about the fellows who're 100 in craft and only 30 or so in adventure. Level itself is keeping them from acquiring the wings they need. And I still say you shouldn't /have/ to have a high level adventure in order to craft.
    If players are 100 craft and 30 adv and they want to craft T5/T6 crystals than they need to level adventure or group with someone who can get the reagents they need. The system isn't keeping them from crafting, as the player can craft lower tier crystals and cogs until they reach sufficient level to hunt their own components. In fact, a 30/100 toon is proof high adv is not necessary for high craft.

I like the idea of being able to craft crystals. I can really tell that a lot of thought was put into how each one would be made and how they'd work.

It seems like a large part of the discussion going on right now centers around whether dragons should be able to craft these crystals alone or with the help of bipeds before being able to reach the final product. I can see sense in both sides, and I really don't know which way I prefer. There's pros and cons to both, from IC and OOC perspectives, and frankly I'm not sure which side I support. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Xyndro View Post
    [SIZE=3] will require a number of bi-ped crafted resources.
    really bad idea. While i am all for encouraging player-interaction, forcing it in this manner is a bad idea. one race (scratch that) player should -never- be forced to rely on others for basic game-play. (IE: performing the actions associated with a given school) all this does is make it a pain in the *** to get things done. what happens if you're trying to level your crystalshaping school at odd hours when server population is low? while it is true that there are almost always going to be people on -capable- of helping, there will not always be people -willing- to help online.

there is nothing wrong with allowing anyone who wants to to help (IE: others gathering and processing base resources) the person actually doing the crafting should be able to go from raw to finished with no outside assistance if circumstances demand it.

The player made crystals will decay and will players will not be able to use them
    bad idea. un-repair/rechargeable decaying items are impractical due simply to low game population. having to have a new set of anything re-crafted every week (or however long it took to wear it down) would be a pain in the ***.

hell, i don't even use blighted scales because finding recharge kits is a ***** (or more accurately, because i cannot make recharge kits myself). and even then they can only be recharged so many times.

On using resources that we could not craft our self ask any alchemist how many of them had to take blacksmith to make their own tools for potions. I bet you find it would be 90%+ of them. Now try forcing half the shard or so to have to rely on the other half. You will have a lot of mad people who do not have biped alt. Also mostly likely a lot of annoyed people having to level their alts so they can level their dragons. Not a good thing. Also most dragons already feel we have to depend on bipeds to much with little or nothing they need from us as it is.

Thread Information