Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game controls

Default Game controls

When I first started Horizons, I'd played every other MMO on the market, and I've also played some new ones. All their controls seem to be the same for the most part.

My suggestion is to implement the mouse buttons to function differently. As an option, you can set left-click+hold to move the camera around the character with clicking on empty space and holding it down. This would make things easier than using the number pad for camera angles.

The second would be to hold down right-click and hold it for turning your character. I know middle mouse wheel can do this, but I'd like an option to set it to right-click+hold.

And last, holding down both, moves the character forward and turns the character at the same time.

Also, defaulting to W S D A for movement keys (rather than strafing) and SPACEBAR for jumping so people that play other games can jump in and use this. It's sort of a standard in most FPS/MMO games, but I know the way things are have been the standard for horizons.

Everybody I've talked to has remapped all their buttons to this, and this is only a suggestion, really.

I know these changes can be made player to player in settings (except the mouse options), but it's easier from a gamer's point of view to just jump into a new game and already feel familiarized to the controls. They have enough to familiarize themselves with anyway! Those that don't play games often or have never played this game before, will have to learn the standard Horizons controls anyway, I don't really think it's a bad idea.

The only drawback are those that have used the same controls unchanged since they installed the game.

Really, a fix would be having the download of the client have these familiarized controls already implemented, rather than getting into the game and spending time to change everything. And if you're new to the game, you'd have to learn the controls anyway.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Default Re: Game controls

My set up:

Tab-target nearest (tab is always target nearest)
    Q-attack (as it's closest key to target nearest, but now all my other keys are messed up. hmmm let's fix this
    e-Up/fly for my adults spacebar for hatchies
    r- equipment (moved over from E)
    f-down
    x-sit
    - -disable ui
    printscreen (! also an MMO default!) screenshot

I second everything stated in the post above me. Rather annoying to have to reset even the most basic of keys if I make a new character/have to reinstall/new comp...

I seem to recall that there is a way to set your ui to do this, I know I had it set up for a breif time once.

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    printscreen (! also an MMO default!) screenshot
    Quoted for emphasis.

Hi Kodey.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

For those of us that use the default keys this would be a pain, needing to relearn the keys or spend playing time changing them to what we're used to.

I went from EQ to EQII to SWG then to Istaria and can't even remember the keys I used in the other games anymore, lol. Personally I wouldn't be happy to log in one night and find that all my keys were different.

Also, using the mouse keys more is not all that easy if you have arthritis in your hands as I do...one reason why I stopped playing SWG constantly even before I started playing this.

Maybe have both keys sets available and allow people to choose which they want to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Charys Stormchild View Post
    For those of us that use the default keys this would be a pain, needing to relearn the keys or spend playing time changing them to what we're used to.

I went from EQ to EQII to SWG then to Istaria and can't even remember the keys I used in the other games anymore, lol. Personally I wouldn't be happy to log in one night and find that all my keys were different.

Also, using the mouse keys more is not all that easy if you have arthritis in your hands as I do...one reason why I stopped playing SWG constantly even before I started playing this.

Maybe have both keys sets available and allow people to choose which they want to use?
    totally agree with you

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I should go back and change my UI key layout sometime, but yeah, there are a few things I wish Horizons had.

Number one, PLEASE make it so that we can Left-Click and hold down the mouse button to move the camera, sorta "dragging" the screen like in WoW... I dunno how many times I went to do that and forgot "drat, I can't do that in Hz" .. instead I gotta open up another window (which takes up space on my UI) to do what I could do just by holding down a mouse button in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodey View Post
    When I first started Horizons, I'd played every other MMO on the market, and I've also played some new ones. All their controls seem to be the same for the most part.

My suggestion is to implement the mouse buttons to function differently. As an option, you can set left-click+hold to move the camera around the character with clicking on empty space and holding it down. This would make things easier than using the number pad for camera angles.

The second would be to hold down right-click and hold it for turning your character. I know middle mouse wheel can do this, but I'd like an option to set it to right-click+hold.

And last, holding down both, moves the character forward and turns the character at the same time.

Also, defaulting to W S D A for movement keys (rather than strafing) and SPACEBAR for jumping so people that play other games can jump in and use this. It's sort of a standard in most FPS/MMO games, but I know the way things are have been the standard for horizons.

Everybody I've talked to has remapped all their buttons to this, and this is only a suggestion, really.

I know these changes can be made player to player in settings (except the mouse options), but it's easier from a gamer's point of view to just jump into a new game and already feel familiarized to the controls. They have enough to familiarize themselves with anyway! Those that don't play games often or have never played this game before, will have to learn the standard Horizons controls anyway, I don't really think it's a bad idea.

The only drawback are those that have used the same controls unchanged since they installed the game.

Really, a fix would be having the download of the client have these familiarized controls already implemented, rather than getting into the game and spending time to change everything. And if you're new to the game, you'd have to learn the controls anyway.

Unless I'm misunderstanding.. I use middle mousebutton (holding it down) to turn/look and arrow keys to move (WASD is overrated and causes some serious cramping for people with big hands) with left and right being strafes.

Or have I misunderstood?

First thing I do when I go into a new game is set the options and key bindings. I think that's pretty much a shared sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Unless I'm misunderstanding.. I use middle mousebutton (holding it down) to turn/look and arrow keys to move (WASD is overrated and causes some serious cramping for people with big hands) with left and right being strafes.

Or have I misunderstood?

First thing I do when I go into a new game is set the options and key bindings. I think that's pretty much a shared sentiment.
    To quote myself: "I know middle mouse wheel can do this, but I'd like an option to set it to right-click+hold."

And yeah, if this were implemented, it wouldn't effect anybody current and their settings, it would just be a preset in the newer Game Torrents and file server for when you download the game for the first time.

I don't know, I was just thinking about that today. And Hello Shian!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charys Stormchild View Post

No, no your keys and everything else you have set up would be the same. It just the default- new player friendly. New players are nice! *stares at the circle of Order's bloodline*

Edit: aha sniped. Hi Kodey ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I should go back and change my UI key layout sometime, but yeah, there are a few things I wish Horizons had.

Number one, PLEASE make it so that we can Left-Click and hold down the mouse button to move the camera, sorta "dragging" the screen like in WoW... I dunno how many times I went to do that and forgot "drat, I can't do that in Hz" .. instead I gotta open up another window (which takes up space on my UI) to do what I could do just by holding down a mouse button in other games.
    There's a nice little option you can set that's called "Free Look Around Character (Hold)" and "Free Look Around Character (Toggle)" within the keybindings part of the options window. I myself have it set so if I hold down the tilde (~) button, then when I use the middle mouse button it moves my camera, not me. Try it, it makes things easier. Even if it isn't the left mouse click, it saves you a window on your UI.

Personally, I've never understood the use of a camera-controlling window anyways.
    <----clicky!

I personally am not an AWSD person, I use the directional arrows, so what I have done is placed my free-mouse move (default is middle mouse button on the wheel) to the numeric keypad "0" (which usually is right next to the arrow cluster) and when I need to change running direction, I click that.

Unfortunately the game has no free-mouse lookaround feature, if there is one, I can't find it. If you want, if you have a mouse with the roller wheel that has a left and right click too, remap those buttons to the left / right movement of the arrow keys on the numeric keypad to simulate doing a 360 spin with the mouse.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Kodey View Post
    To quote myself: "I know middle mouse wheel can do this, but I'd like an option to set it to right-click+hold."

And yeah, if this were implemented, it wouldn't effect anybody current and their settings, it would just be a preset in the newer Game Torrents and file server for when you download the game for the first time.

I don't know, I was just thinking about that today. And Hello Shian!!
    Then change the binding? Course you'll have to find a place to put your menu binding.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding something here.....

Are you meaning to say freelook vs. camera?

In which case you can bind a key for free look around character go to the options key bindings and do it there.

Or I'm really not getting what you're asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Then change the binding? Course you'll have to find a place to put your menu binding.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding something here.....

Are you meaning to say freelook vs. camera?

In which case you can bind a key for free look around character go to the options key bindings and do it there.

Or I'm really not getting what you're asking?
    I am not asking anything, actually. I am only suggesting an alternative. I don't need a fix for any of the above, as I make do with the numberpad for camera direction and remapped all my buttons.

There is no option to turn the screen using only your mouse (-around your character-), while holding down left-click. There is only the numberpad or the game window for camera direction or remapping the keys to keyboard. There is no option for turning your character with holding down right-click. Only Arrow keys or remapping them to WSDA or the likes. Pressing an arrow key to turn is exactly what I mean by the latter, only I want the mouse to do it.

Thank you to those that gave me alternatives, but I'm not in need of a fix, just suggestion that these options be available and possibly in the new client download as default for gamers and familiarity. <33

I didn't read through all of these posts thoroughly but I did want to offer what I did once I began the game (which was only a few short weeks ago)

I went right into keybindings and switched some around.

Beyond that, I know you may move the camera angle around (without moving your actual character) by holding the ~ key (right next to the #1 on your keyboard) and your right mouse button while moving.

I believe that's how you move the camera angle and not your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post

Sorry, but turning the camare instead of the character is absolutely unecessary in horizons. In WoW you got to keep line of sight, so there is a need for fast acess to camera control. In HZ it matters on no occasion (ecept screenshots, maybe) where your char is facing... so the best to turn the cam is just to turn the character and there is absolutely no need to add additional (complicated) shortcuts for that in HZ.

Just use middle mouse button and turn the char. Or youse the numpad or the other default key bindings.

Maybe people should get used to different controls for different games...

The default mappings of hz match the needs of the game quite good. The only thing I would advise to add is a shortcut for recall (and then close that stupid action window).
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Maybe people should get used to different controls for different games...
    Well, believe it or not, mainstream games are changing thier controls to be more universal *shudders at the memory of when SWG switched thier accept/cancel on the launcher and accept/delete item IG*

I've been trying to get used to "different controls for different games" for well over 4 years now and it just dosen't work. (don't play Ryzom any more b/c the controls are too difficult to remember) Jumping games and trying to re-remember the conrtols gets you dead. Dead makes you frustrated and more prone to log off. I suppose it really dosen't matter how much time you spend in game as long as your playing a subscription right?

And as far as turning the camera around, I do so quite often so I can click-target what's in front of me and I don't have to compete with my dragon for room on the screen. It's quite handy! try it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Well, believe it or not, mainstream games are changing thier controls to be more universal *shudders at the memory of when SWG switched thier accept/cancel on the launcher and accept/delete item IG*

I've been trying to get used to "different controls for different games" for well over 4 years now and it just dosen't work. (don't play Ryzom any more b/c the controls are too difficult to remember) Jumping games and trying to re-remember the conrtols gets you dead. Dead makes you frustrated and more prone to log off. I suppose it really dosen't matter how much time you spend in game as long as your playing a subscription right?

And as far as turning the camera around, I do so quite often so I can click-target what's in front of me and I don't have to compete with my dragon for room on the screen. It's quite handy! try it!
    I agree and I do the same. Can't attract and keep new players if they're having to spend too much time understanding all the controls and metagame play and game play. It sours the experience and interest.

heh it actually confuses me more having the same controls in each game... I don't even have to think about it now, get in Horizons and I automatically use the right controls for that, swap to WoW and without even thinking I use the right controls. I do have to put space in for jump in hz though; flying on Q would be a nuisance!

Anyawy that said, as long as it was only affecting the default, I see no reason why not. I don't want to find my custom controls reset back to default/new default though
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

found another one this afternoon.

/invite please! /gi is just wierd... Can we have both? Seems silly there is no command for 'invite'

Thread Information