Thread: Monitor Suggestion Requested, Looking a decent 24" monitor

Default Monitor Suggestion Requested, Looking a decent 24" monitor

I'm looking for a nice widescreen monitor. I believe 24" (1920x1200) is optimal, though that is subject to change. Currently I have two 3870 512MB GDDR4 in crossfire, hopefully they can do 1920x1200 without major performance issues, in most games at least. My price range is sub 1000USD, Ideally under 700USD.

This monitor is for Gaming, however I multi-task and superior color quality will factor for my Photoshop-ing needs. Probably won't use it for Movies, so that will factor slightly less

Speakers are not required, as are USB slots, and the like.

I'll start off with one monitor that might be adaquate. This is the:
    Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP
    This monitor is S-PVA, and has 2 DVI port (along with a HDMI port and VGA port). A quick question: I know it has 2 to strengthen the signal for the higher resolution. How would I go about setting up the monitor.

Should I buy two DVI cables (or 1 DVI cables if the monitor includes one) and connect both to one GPU, or connect one DVI cable to each GPU, or buy a DVI-D splitter and use 1 DVI cable connect it to both ports on the monitor and the DVI port of the primary GPU?

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. Note: A suggestion to wait (if current technology is unacceptable) is welcome and very helpful. I don't want to waste money. Also if you think a 22" monitor would better suit my needs, I am open to suggestions of any magnitude.

Hatchling Dragon of Chaos, following the path of Lunus___ ___DRAG 38 / DCRA 55
    Ofnir, Sslik of Chaos. WAR 14 CLRC 10 MAGE 10 SPRT 14 / OUT 10 ARM 10

Default Re: Monitor Suggestion Requested, Looking a decent 24" monitor

I have no experience with the monitor you're interested in, though there are a few points of interest to look at for any flat panel:

DVI: the resolution of the Dell that you're interested in is at the upper limit of single-link DVI. This means you won't need a dual-link cable or a dual-link capable card, let alone two cables. The cards you have appear to be dual-link anyway, so no worries there.

Panel: There are a few different types of LCD panel, some of them only use 6bits/pixel (giving you 18-bit color instead of 24-bit color, or 262144 colors vs 16.7 million). You probably want one that has a panel that uses 8bits/pixel.

Color: Consumer monitors are probably not what you want if you want perfect color matching. They're tuned for maximum brightness and saturation to make images look vivid. If you're trying to do color matching, the 'enhancements' are a huge headache. There are some monitors that are designed for graphics professionals, however, they start around twice your maximum budget. How much does color accuracy mean to you?

As an compromise, there are monitor calibration kits composed of some software and a little sensor that goes on the screen. You put the sensor over the screen, run a program, it displays some test patterns that the sensor reads, and the program spits out a color calibration profile. This will help get closer to accurate, but it won't make up for a narrow color gamut.

Viewing angle: LCD monitors don't have a full 180 degree viewing angle. Colors and brightness will shift depending on the angle you view the display. The bigger the display and the closer you are to it, the less likely you'll get an evenly colored and lit image.

Sometimes a simple CRT is still a good choice.

Thread Information