Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Istaria Wiki

Default Re: Istaria Wiki

Internally, quests are grouped by tier (level required to get the quest) and then by either location of the questgiver NPC (Dalimond, Sslanis, etc) for stand-alone quests or by quest lines (Rare Foods, Dragon Ability, etc).
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Favoran - good point RE crafting quests. Makes sense to group them together on the one page for each tier i.e. all lvl 1-10 dragon crafting quests on the same page, similar to the Trophy Hunter page. Would make it much easier to reference - and write

Kerech - I have made a request to get the Wiki "upgraded" to use Semantic Wiki markup. This will allow us to mark an article with certain attributes (such as school, level range, etc) and then create lists of those levels. You could then create a page that had a list of every quest and use dynamic Semantic Wiki to keep the lists up-to-date. Saves on managing all those links!

Otter - thankyou for the info, that would make it worthwhile to try and match the Wiki with how it works within the game. As with Kerech, Semantic Wiki should be able to help here.

Thanks folks, keep the suggestions coming

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Favoran - good point RE crafting quests. Makes sense to group them together on the one page for each tier i.e. all lvl 1-10 dragon crafting quests on the same page, similar to the Trophy Hunter page. Would make it much easier to reference - and write
    That's not quite what I meant. I don't think they should be grouped together by level; rather, group them by skill. This way, you can go to the "Essence Harvesting" page and see all of the quests, each given by the same NPC. Either that, or you could go to the NPC's page and read about the quest he gives; short ones are listed there, and longer ones (probably not applicable here, but hey) get their own page. It's easier to see the trends between the different levels of quests, too; you'd see that 10, 30, 50, 70, and 90 require normal essence and the other ones require tainted essence, for example. I just think it makes more sense separated this way.

Of course, if you REALLY wanted to do it by level, the main Dragon Crafting page can have all quests, arranged by level. But then the quests would be listed twice across the Wiki. Nothing terrible about that.
    <----clicky!

Well the good news is that the Wikia support team has enabled the Semantic Wiki extensions - this should allow for a huge amount of flexibility creating lists of pages based on criteria. For example, I've just updated the Named Creature Summary template to track rating, health, type and (nearest) port. We can now dynamically create lists based on rating 10-20, type beetle; or port=Kion; or rating 50-60 and health 1000-2000.

This should help enormously working out which lists to display, without painful manual updates! So - quests can be marked with their skill requirement, experience reward, craft/adventure type, location, quest level, tier, etc. I'll finish updating the named creatures template to get that working and some dynamic page listings completed, then look at the quest template. Suggestions are, of course, welcomed wholeheartedly! Any additional items that should be tracked for quests? Maybe mark quests that provide permanent abilities (such as a lot of Draggie quests)?
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Forgot skill!

That sounds like a nifty little tool you've implemented.

Say, does anyone else use the shoutbox on the Wiki? It seems like I'm the only one who's said anything in it since July 31st. XD
    <----clicky!

I hate to say it, but I have no idea what that is... shoutbox? i'll have to have a closer look now!

Up at the top, where it shows your name, click on the "More" box, then select "manage widgets". There's a bunch of them to choose from. Some are fairly pointless, but a few are quite nifty.
    <----clicky!

Popcorn, is there an automatic list of the Property's or will we have to make our own list? So if I want to see if there's a Property for skill, I can go to that list and see if one exists or needs to be made. For now, I've just been looking at the change tracker to see what ones you have made so far.
    Inayah FrolicFall, Satyr Extraordinaire

Mahja - yes there is a list of Properties on one of the "Special" pages . I'm having some issues with some of the properties however - there are a few duplicates that I'm trying to sort out with the Semantic support team. I'm assuming it's my stupidity, as in my experience that's the usual cause of any problems

I've tried to update the templates as well to use those properties, in particular the Coords template, the Quest template and the NPC Summary template. Might have done a few others to, it's late and my brain switched into "Hibernate" mode about 45 minutes ago!

There seems to be a "trick" to some of the properties to. If you update a page and add a property, it doesn't come through on the list immediately unless you edit the page the list is on and save it. However, if you just make a change to the value of a property, it appears OK. Still getting my head around them... I'm hoping they will be worth the current pain and confusion

By the way - huge thanks to all who are editing/updating (Mahja, Favoran, Velveeta, ObyDragon, many others I have missed ) the content is coming together nicely! Hopefully I'll be able to sort out these Semantic wiki issues, I think it will really accelerate how the site can be used by players!
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; September 4th, 2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Thanks deserved!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hi stale - if you are still looking for info on quests - not a big thing, but the dragon's reach II quests sez 'kill 30 ferocious grouks'...
    i discovers that grulets of the proper level also count towards this goal...

not sure if the quest info should be updated, but i just thought it might be useful info to know....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thanks Velve - is that on the Wiki at the moment, or did you just complete the quest in-game and notice that?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

every thing i post will be what i notice as the difference between the info from gamer's info (which i am using to do the draggie quests) and the actual ingame info.
    i have not updated anything on the wiki page and i am sorry about that, because it is only my laziness that is the reason.

speaking of - gamer's info states, in the accurate breath II level 20 advent quest, 40 water gols 6-20. this is, of course, incorrect and is really 16-20 (tsunami doesn't count but i nailed him anyway, just because.... ). a small thing but for noobs looking for easy finish, it can be misleading.....

and if anyone does the attunement to serenity quest description, i think it should make sure it mentions the quest requires 5 blighted bones, as the quest log ingame does not specify.....

no problem - thanks V, keep them coming

stale - another update:
    draggy advent quest (20) primal mastery II: gamer's info states 20 small ruxus, level 21-25 for quest
    actual quest is any ruxus (i killed smalls to the tremendous) counts toward total of 20 needed

level 20 tooth and claw adept quest from periado - gamer's info sez 10 slate gols
    actual quest is 25 weaker or lesser undead from the chiconis dead pool area

i feel i should revise the above quest information. the lesser and/or weaker undeads that count toward the quest are under level 30. unfortunately, periado does not tell you this or the fact that the level 30s and under are the 'body guards' of level 35s and 40s.
    it is my opinion that new players and low level hatchies will need a babysitter. the 40s are long range spellcasters (dryads and ssliks) and players will be mobbed early and often........

also, the tooth and claw mastery 3 (level 30 advent quest): gamer's info sez either iron or iron boulder gols count for the quest, but xerix the quest giver only mentions iron boulder gols. haven't started the hunt yet (going to tonight, i hope), but i will try to see if plain iron gols count and will let ya know!

(gawd i would love to be able to edit posts without the time limit.... )

plain iron gols do not count for the t&c mastery level 30 quest - only iron boulder gols

Lovely V, that's fantastic stuff! I've started (finally!) to sort the quests out and put in your forum posts, latest info and list of draggie ability quests is here:

http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Adventurer

(even though Dragon Adventurer isn't really a "school", it needs to be there to distinguish between Dragon (Race) Dragon Craft, Lairshaper, etc.)

Default Istaria Wiki - Quests

Hello again Istarians!

We have just released the first stage of our Quests list page located here:

http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Quests

This page is a jumping-point to the current list of quests available on the Wiki. At a bare minimum, the quests documented should have:

- Name of quest
    - Level requirement (if any)
    - School requirement (if any)
    - NPC that provides the quest
    - Where the quest starts (town/port/etc)

the vast majority should have the steps required to complete the quest, and most should also have the reward you receive when completing the quest. There are currently over 250 quests documented on the Wiki, and this is 99% limited to quests requiring a level < 40! We are starting to record details of 30-50 quests now, but it's a slow process

We hope you find the lists useful, please feel free to update the quests if you see errors/ommissions.

Happy questing!

The Wiki Team
    Last edited by StalePopcorn; November 13th, 2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: stuff i forgot!

Default Re: Istaria Wiki - Quests

Looks like things are starting to come along. I need to get back to putting things up on there... Haven't actually been to the wiki for some time. XD
    <----clicky!

Thread Information