Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Istaria Wiki

Default Re: Istaria Wiki

Thanks Alisto! Will be sure to poke if/when I need assistance! o/

Some more updates! It's a bit late for me currently so I'm gonna try to keep this brief...
    • Tweaked the templates mentioned in the previous post a little, mostly just messing with the visuals, trying to find a good setup for presenting information. Some templates broke spectacularly when I tested their limits, so I had to make adjustments here and there, haha.
    • Finished all the loot table templates and started implementing them on Creature pages. The amount of loot some enemies drop makes me giggle; this creature for example. Look at all those red links in the facts box! Good luck getting something specific from that guy.
    • I started updating NPC pages to use the new infobox; so far all the Adventure trainers have gotten their overhauls. There's going to be some broken templates on other pages like the school pages (currently missing craft trainers because those pages are still using the old template) until I can get around to updating them to reflect the new changes to categories and new properties. ;-; Shouldn't take too long to fix, I hope.
    • Got a request for a minor change to Town Marshall Quest presentation, which gave me an excuse to make the Quest Infobox and give the Town Marshall NPC pages and their category/info an overhaul. The change requested was to see how many tokens each quest gave out right in the table, which took a little work, but I managed to get it working and you can see the new Town Marshall Quest table here. Each of the quest pages has the new infobox and presentation as well.
    • While looking through the wiki's templates to see what else I could clean up, I noticed Location pages were using some messy, outdated templates... So I quickly whipped up a location infobox to replace it all and it looks really good in practice! I think my favorite page is Mahagra, the screenshot displayed is very pretty. I plan to eventually (once I can resubscribe to get some wings) get in and take my own high-res shots for a ton of areas.

As for the to-do list...
    • I'm just going to sum my to-do list up with this single category, which currently contains all the pages using outdated templates that the new infoboxes will be replacing. *wheeze*

Hope everyone likes the new infoboxes and stuff! Constructive feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

It isn't said nearly enough, so thanks to everyone editing the wiki. Like, seriously. I'll see about dropping by as more updates come around just to thank you lot.

Every little bit helps

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Yeah... Some small updates today.

• Updated the Trophy Hunter portion of the Wiki, all 155 quest pages got the new infobox/layout, same with the Trophy Hunter NPCs themselves. Still need to do a second pass and add any missing quest text/steps/descriptions, but the basics are all there currently. There are a few newer Trophy Hunter quests that have yet to be added to the wiki, so I'll get to those soon. The new NPC pages can be found here, and the new quest pages are here.
    • Enabled a wiki feature that displays categories in thumbnail form. Makes it so that categories that used to look like this, now look like this. Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well to categories with pages that have no images... But luckily there's a little toggle at the top of every category page for that reason.

That's all I really have... As always, feedback is welcome. Going to keep implementing the new templates over time.

"Our ancestors came down from the heavens and proudly reigned over the land they had created."

Thanks for the updates!

Good forward thinking with that toggle too. That thumbnail look is so much nicer to look at, and that toggle prevents those without thumbnails from being eyesores.

I wanted to make this post last night but was exhausted by the time I finished with images. So here's a nice, juicy update.

• Revamped categories, mostly renaming to a new standard and shifting some pages around so that they make more sense.
    • Included in this was the Images category, long overdue for an update. I went ahead and established two different "types" of image, which are Screenshots and Images, and filtered stuff into categories as they fit (you can typically tell what goes where by looking through some of the categories). This was incredibly time-consuming (pretty much took up my entire day), and I'm so glad I have a bot account for mass-renaming jobs. ;-; That poor thing racked up 3,000 edits yesterday with me looking over every little change... Very mind-numbing work, haha.
    • Made space for Concept Art too, since there were a few pieces floating around the wiki and I wasn't sure if I should put them with other Images. Have a whole stash on my external HD that I never posted to the Wiki because I wasn't certain if it would have a place, but I thought of some neat ideas to implement while staring at my bot's work, heh.
    • With the Images-category revamp, I also manually took care of the ~800 Uncategorized Images on the wiki, and there are now NO uncategorized images left! *party poppers* Still some images I have to funnel to respective categories, but the bulk of the work is taken care of. With these new categories, and everything being filtered, it'll be easier to find what is and isn't in use or needed, and I can actually start cleaning up images in general.
    • Redid some of the site navigation as I finally figured out what was causing submenus to not come up. Was a dumb little pound sign that messed with the script. You can see the new navigation options under Istaria > Characters, with a total navigation-bar revamp on the way once I can figure out what should go where.
    • Worked on the Item Infobox a little more, but geez, it's a biggun. It's definitely going to take a lot of time and messing around with code to complete and get to a usable, clean state.
    • Shifted some stuff around on the front page and brought back the Create box for people wanting to make new pages! I'm steadily going through and reworking the New Page templates so I can bring back that old functionality.

That's all I can remember doing yesterday, so I guess that's it for this update. As always, feedback and suggestions are welcome. Now I have to get cracking on the Cleanup category and housekeeping with old Templates...

That's quite a bit in a short time, cripes. Lots of Quality-of-Life stuff, especially that menu bar too.

I'm surprised we don't ever hear much from the other editors too. Good thing the Wiki has a list of contributors I can refer to so I can properly thank everyone who contributed to the pages when I see 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Vergial View Post
    That's quite a bit in a short time, cripes. Lots of Quality-of-Life stuff, especially that menu bar too.

I'm surprised we don't ever hear much from the other editors too. Good thing the Wiki has a list of contributors I can refer to so I can properly thank everyone who contributed to the pages when I see 'em.
    There's been a few other editors in the past month, but there's no telling if they visit these forums for updates or not. ^^ I should probably start an update thread on the Wiki forums too, now that I think about it. I've been the only one editing for about a week now anyway.

A few small updates:

• Updated a lot of infobox templates to hide certain areas/table cells if no info is present for them. So there should be less full rows of "N/A" in the infoboxes, and some pages (like NPCs) even lack the expandable Quest/Sell tables when there's no information to fill them. Can see the difference between these two creature pages as an example: Dim Wisp / Greater Anchor
    • Updated the NPC infobox to accept a "formula" parameter that displays what tier of formulas an NPC sells, and updated craft trainer pages accordingly.
    • I will eventually be reformatting the infoboxes to suit Wikia's mobile layout a little more, but this will be much easier to do once all pages are utilizing them. Then any changes made will be site-wide and all 5,000 pages won't have to be edited again.
    • Introduced the Game History category, to try and show off more of Istaria's early history and lore-related articles.
    • Events, which I tried to fill up with as many of the early game events as I could find. Some of them are really interesting and contain some fun stories and lore.
    • Removed Content, which displays items, creatures, and characters that were once present in-game. I'm currently going through the history of the wiki to find deleted creature and NPC pages that were removed to keep them from cluttering up the relevant information or confusing wiki-goers. I'm restoring them and "demoting" them to Removed Content pages, with a nice red infobox to show they're not in-game.
    • And finally, there's Unreleased Content, which shows early concepts for races and creatures that never made it into the final product. I've always found the early art and ideas interesting as an indie developer, so I figured it would be nice to give them a category all on their own.
    • Updated all of the Dragon Tutorial Quests. These quests are now some of the most complete quest pages on the wiki, as I ensured all dialogue, text, and objectives were present, accurate, and up-to-date. I even added some images that a past contributor intended to display on these pages. I have a few new test hatchlings that I intend on leveling and grabbing all the quest information with, and a fresh human that I can use to handle biped quests.

I think that's all I have to share at the moment. I have a lot of other personal projects on my plate, as well as some Istaria mods in the works, so I haven't been able to put as much time into the wiki as I'd like. Hopefully more will be coming soon. As always, feedback on these changes is most appreciated.

Beautiful work so far. Ahhh yes, actual work. You get to say you worked for that wiki, and you never stop. Weirdo.

Thanks Hun. <3 I love working on the Wiki, it's a nice project and I actually have fun doing it. I've learned a lot from the process too.

Small update of things I did yesterday/last night:
    • Pruned all Quest pages to make sure they aligned with the Complete Quest List in name formatting, so that the links are correct. Also deleted any long-outdated quests that weren't present in the list to avoid confusion. Around 200-300 quests were renamed or deleted with this.
    • I also went through and corrected all Trophy Hunter Quests according to the Complete Quest list; informed Cega of a couple missing quests and found out they were apparently incomplete within the code. I've been told the two quests will go out with Delta 278, as well as some quest name fixes that I submitted in a support ticket (those Wiki pages should already be renamed accordingly).
    • I also ensured all Trophies that these quests were tied to have been updated to the new item infobox or added to the wiki altogether. Still need to go through the respective creature pages and make sure those Creature infoboxes are set up correctly to display the dropped trophies.

Steadily whittling away at the bulk of Quest/Item pages that need an update, but things are going well in that regard! Quite proud of having the trophy hunter section of the wiki pretty much done.

Update time!

• Added quite a few missing Creature pages, mostly just barebones stuff so it can be filled in later on down the road by editors.
    • Revamped the front page a little more, mostly did some cleaning/reorganizing and made it more accessible for mobile users. Moved Istaria Wiki-specific information to the community messages area on the Wiki activity page. Also added Racktor's "What is Istaria" video to the front page, since it's a fantastic overview of the game.
    • Updated some NPC pages, still quite a few to do though.
    • Got the Resource Nodes category started with some basic pages utilizing the new template, still lots to add to the Wiki in that regard.
    • Ensured all the Trophy Quests are correctly named & linking to their appropriate trophy items and creatures.
    • Started cleaning up Dragon Quests, updating a good chunk of them to the new Quest Infobox template and adding missing quest steps/descriptions. Pretty sure I got most of the ability quests updated/added to the wiki, still have some crafting ones to sift through.
    • Updated the Quest Infobox template itself to make it more like a traditional infobox and more accessible for mobile users. Most of the quest pages are updating/updated to the new template as I type this, but some nice live examples can be found here or here.

That's all I can really think of/remember for now; as always, feedback and suggestions are welcome!

I've got no real suggestions, honestly, you seem to have this down pat. Glad you work this hard. Seems others are too, WINK WINK.
    Art block is like constipation. Sometimes you just gotta push. Once you get something out, the rest just starts flowing right out and you're left thinking "When the heck did I get diarrhea?!"

Nice job on keeping the wiki clean and neat ^^ front page looks a lot nicer. For Dragon Quests,Crystalshaper,you may want to add Aratanosh's quests and Balennos crystalshapig masteries. keep it up.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

Quote Originally Posted by Vergial View Post
    I've got no real suggestions, honestly, you seem to have this down pat. Glad you work this hard. Seems others are too, WINK WINK.
    Yeah, I actually noticed that the Wiki is still averaging 500+ pageviews a day, so I must be doing something right for so many to be using it so often! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Salwirk View Post
    Nice job on keeping the wiki clean and neat ^^ front page looks a lot nicer. For Dragon Quests,Crystalshaper,you may want to add Aratanosh's quests and Balennos crystalshapig masteries. keep it up.
    Thanks, Salwirk! Glad the front page looks better, was trying to keep it simple and reduce the amount of table cells so that mobile users wouldn't get a monstrous mess like they used to, hehe. Thanks for the quest suggestions too; I went ahead and bumped up Crystalshaper and Lairshaper quests to the top of my to-do list since they're smaller sections of the site in comparison to the rest, but I unfortunately don't have all the data I need for those... Not sure if Crystalshaping Mastery quests became exclusive to the new Crystalshaper school, for example, since I still don't have a dragon in that school (working on that now, actually, to find out for myself..) I also am unsure of level requirements on many quests, but I'm sure I can ask around to find those out. Just been making educated guesses for the time being, as I figure editors can correct any small errors I left behind.

Oh, and as a small update for the night: I just went through all the Rite of Passage quests and added any missing quests/corrected the quest text to their current state, so there should now be a solid, updated guide to the RoP on the wiki currently (finally!) that people can reference when going through the RoP. ARoP is up next, then the last of the Dragon Crafting/Adventure quests, so then... Dragon Quests should be fully updated for others to reference at that point. Phew.

just a quick post to say that I'm back on the game, and back to working on the wiki. reversing a lot of what I did years ago because it wasn't well thought-out and I feel a simpler approach will be better in the end. should be a faster "update" this time around.

new layout already, planning on changing them for big updates and maybe along with the seasons. keeping it dark though so it's easier on the eyes.

any help is appreciated, of course. I personally apologize for any of my past behavior that was off-putting or rude; I've since mellowed out and look forward to working with the community again. ✌

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i love the wiki, and use it for almost every blog post. i am more than happy to assist with keeping the wiki update with screenies and details, etc. just give me an idea of what you are looking for and how you want it presented to you, and i will be happy to play explorer for you

in fact, please take a look at my blog and see if there is anything you might want to take from there. i have the original screenies, if you see anything you like to use as something on the site. i am happy to share
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thank you Velveeta! I will definitely take a look at your blog and see if there's some screenshots the wiki could use. You are welcome to edit pages you come across on the wiki that might be outdated as well; certainly need the community's help to get such a big wiki up to date. ^^

Thread Information