Thread: Firefox an horizons I got!! working!!

Default Firefox an horizons I got!! working!!

Hi hehe... I have seen that some people complain about having horizons as a internet based launcher.. While i dont know how to fix that i have modified mine so that i can click on the icon an the firefox comes up instead of internet explorer. I duno how many people want this but i thinks its kinda nice to know:P

I made 3 sets of directions...over done...easier...2 step:P
    (Ithought of the other 2 as i was typin>.>)

Directions-Over done

1.Right click the Horizons internet icon an go to properties. Look under target an you'll see the application of internet explorer found in your computer and the website next to it after the ".

2.Right click your mozilla firefox icon and go to properties. Then right click and copy everything in the target box. Dont delete just copy:P

3. Go back to the Horizons one and delete everything in between the quotes "". Then right click an hit paste to paste what Ya copied from the Firefox icon an it has to be before the website.

4. Delete the website and put https://play.istaria.com/ , notice its not http but https ...that does make the difference There has to be a space in between the website and the " or else it'll say invalid location or somethin of the sort...

5. Hit apply ya done and its gona start wif Firefox:P

Directions- Easy an no thought really

1. Right click Firefox icon and open properties. Right click Horizons and choose properties.

2. Delete everything in the text box next to target.

3. Right click and copy the stuff in the text box next to target in Firefox and paste it into the Horizons text box near the target.

4. Type https://play.istaria.com/ after the stuff ya just pasted in the Firefox and press ok. ( If it says somethin about it being invalid then ya didnt put a space in between "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" and https://play.istaria.com/ has to be a apce or it wont work.) it should look like "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" https://play.istaria.com/

Directions- 2 step version:P

1. Right click the Horizons icon an go to properties.

2.Delete everythin in the textbox next to target and paste this...
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" https://play.istaria.com/
    Hit ok an ya done.
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Default Re: Firefox an horizons I got!! working!!

*boes head in defeat* ya cant press play istaria.... if ya did the above post delete the stuffs in quotes an put

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

an should run fine again:P
    Last edited by rizo/nawkia; July 31st, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

I can log in to my Istaria account with Firefox now... the problem has always been actually getting Firefox to launch the game client required an ActiveX control that Firefox could not handle.

Are you saying Firefox can handle that ActiveX control now? Or has Virtrium removed the ActiveX control in their changeover to Istaria from Horizons?

nope nada has changed:/

I was just surprised that i could get it to launch to firefox :P

Here's how to get HZ to launcgh from FireFox http://ietab.mozdev.org/

:-รพ

I was gonna say, I thought it wouldn't run with Firefox because Firefox doesn't use... gah what does Microsuck call that again, ActiveX or something like that?

Anyways, hopefully at some point in the future, this won't even be an issue, when Velea posted that poll about the Launcher, most people begged for JS or 100% Stand-Alone, that way we won't need to mess with Microsuck and their buggy/security hole-laden browsers or ActiveX controls...

I have never ever had the need to even install Firefox on Windows. I only use it on Ubuntu. Why not just accept, since you can't remove it anyway, that to launch Horizons you must run IE? You can tell it not to change your default browser Ever. You're not leaving yourself open to any security holes, since you're just opening the Vitrium site on IE. Just accept it lol!!! Making the game work on Vista is a more worthy goal.

ActiveX is a great piece of technology and is capable of some stunning stuff when used correctly (I know a few good dev's from my former life). Sure it's not open source, but who says everything has to be open source? Open Source... possibly open to exploitation. No? So anyway Firefox is good, but I've no need for it. Oh Deviantart works better on it... I think that's it.

For browsing use whatever you prefer... but is running Ho.. sorry Istaria... in IE such a big deal?

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    I have never ever had the need to even install Firefox on Windows. I only use it on Ubuntu. Why not just accept, since you can't remove it anyway, that to launch Horizons you must run IE? You can tell it not to change your default browser Ever. You're not leaving yourself open to any security holes, since you're just opening the Vitrium site on IE. Just accept it lol!!! Making the game work on Vista is a more worthy goal.
    You don't have to run IE to launch Hz... the only time you need that, is if you make a new character. Otherwise, you can use the launcher....

ActiveX is a great piece of technology and is capable of some stunning stuff when used correctly (I know a few good dev's from my former life). Sure it's not open source, but who says everything has to be open source? Open Source... possibly open to exploitation. No? So anyway Firefox is good, but I've no need for it. Oh Deviantart works better on it... I think that's it.
    ActiveX might be able to deliver some stunning stuff, but eh... stunning isn't always good. Yeah, the viruses, malware, spyware, and crap is stunning.... astounding even.... but that doesn't mean it is a good thing. No thanks, I'd rather use Firefox and be safer with Adblock + NoScript. Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript gives you a Lot of protection for general surfing on the web.

For browsing use whatever you prefer... but is running Ho.. sorry Istaria... in IE such a big deal?

Rakku
    Because I'd rather just uninstall that piece of crap browser entirely? I can't tho, because if I ever wanted to start a new character, I'm SOL. Now, if we did a JS-based launcher (which would probably work in Vista!), ANY browser/OS capable of running JS would launch Hz just as good. Heck, I bet a JS-based launching system would even make WINE/Cedega/Linux users happy too.

I'd rather have a full stand-alone .exe launcher though. But they said that would take a lot of work, so JS is the happy middle-ground.

Oh, and JS-based launcher.... you wouldn't need to worry about .NET Framework, either. One less Micro$uck piece of crap to rely on.

Recap:

JS-Based Launcher:

1). No IE required.
    2). No ActiveX required.
    3). Vista.
    4). No .NET Framework necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    You don't have to run IE to launch Hz... the only time you need that, is if you make a new character. Otherwise, you can use the launcher....

ActiveX might be able to deliver some stunning stuff, but eh... stunning isn't always good. Yeah, the viruses, malware, spyware, and crap is stunning.... astounding even.... but that doesn't mean it is a good thing. No thanks, I'd rather use Firefox and be safer with Adblock + NoScript. Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript gives you a Lot of protection for general surfing on the web.

Because I'd rather just uninstall that piece of crap browser entirely? I can't tho, because if I ever wanted to start a new character, I'm SOL. Now, if we did a JS-based launcher (which would probably work in Vista!), ANY browser/OS capable of running JS would launch Hz just as good. Heck, I bet a JS-based launching system would even make WINE/Cedega/Linux users happy too.

I'd rather have a full stand-alone .exe launcher though. But they said that would take a lot of work, so JS is the happy middle-ground.

Oh, and JS-based launcher.... you wouldn't need to worry about .NET Framework, either. One less Micro$uck piece of crap to rely on.

Recap:

JS-Based Launcher:

1). No IE required.
    2). No ActiveX required.
    3). Vista.
    4). No .NET Framework necessary.
    Man I've trawled through some Filth on the Internet in the 10+ years I've been wading through it, and only once did I bork my pc ... and that was through some email some jerk unwittingly sent me, which I unwittingly opened lol... Spybot and Spyware blaster have admirably protected my IE7. What do you guys look at?!

Oh I meant stunning in a good way. Anyway you can disable scripting in IE, infact you can do pretty much what you want with it. One thing I will credit Firefox with is using less resources. IE (especially IE7) uses lots of ram for seemingly no reason. It's almost as bad as Istaria's memory leak! Do people still have problems installing the control to launch the game in IE? It installed straight off here... it's just running the game itself that borks since I'm in Vista. However I do have IE7 on XP too.

A javascript launcher would make no difference on Vista since it's the game executable that doesn't work. I'm all for opinions about Micro$oft crap, but the majority of malware is targetted towards MS software simply because it's MS and has such a massive user base. I can assure you that these same greasy spoons would quite readily bum rip Firefox or any other alternative with alternative malware if they were in a similar position.

After that little rant... I'm all for a new launcher, but since the new one does work I'd prefer that client issues (especially re. Vista) were fixed first. Perhaps some tweaks to the launcher control to allow it to install on all systems? I've not seen this problem, and within my family I've tried it on two Vista32 machines, one Vista64, and two with XP/IE7. All will install the launcher control, but only the Xp machines will get in game for oh too familar reasons (horizons.exe has stopped working arggh!).

Anyway to the original topic... well done on making it work in Firefox Rizo!

Rakku

Dhalin I can understand how it is easy to hate on Microsoft given that seems to be the 'in thing' in the IT industry, and it is also easy for the general public to be fed an impression of the big guys being the bad guys by the media.

The simple truth is that the flaws you hint at with ActiveX processes being hosted within the browser aren't quite as bad as you suggest. For one thing it is up to the end user to approve the installation of ActiveX controls through the browser. This doesn't apply to ActiveX controls installed through a standalone installer, but the same principle applies - the end user must confirm the installation. Really the problem hasn't been with ActiveX itself, but coders who have taken advantage of people's willingness to agree to almost anything.

Now the tables are turned. Firefox plugins are now tainted irrevocably in the same way that ActiveX controls once were. Firefox plugins make it even easier to implant malicious code on end users' computers, and those end users are more willing to accept the risks because they've all been fed the tired "Firefox is more secure than other browsers" line. Truth is that most corporations who pay security experts hundreds of thousands per year will not agree to have Firefox installed on their networks and prefer to stick with Internet Explorer, those security experts get paid hundreds of thousands per year for a good reason. Firefox has only really succeeded in the small business environment where a lack of in-depth knowledge of the implications of all browser security aspects has resulted in the choice of the more "glamorous" option.

I agree wholeheartedly with Spirit's statement regarding the use of IE to launch Horizons. Unless you are saying that you do not trust Virtrium, you should have absolutely no reason to try and avoid using Internet Explorer to log into the https://play.istaria.com site and log into the game. By all means feel free to use Firefox for your day to day browsing, but by spurning Internet Explorer for this one use you are suggesting that Virtrium cannot be trusted. Remember what I said, it's not ActiveX or Firefox plugin technology that is at fault; it is the developers who write malicious Firefox plugins or ActiveX controls who are responsible for the problems you have hinted at.

Edit: Worth noting that my statement regarding corporates who stick with Internet Explorer is obviously only relevant to corporates that use Windows. Then again, I find it hard to think of any company I've been contracted to that has a large installation base of workstations running anything other than Windows, with the exception of Sun Microsystems.

Thread Information