Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGHhhh DEVS must Read!!!

Lightbulb UGHhhh DEVS must Read!!!

OK, we have waited and waited for things to get done. Now that things getting done, they are what we necessarily what we need. WE NEED MORE STACK ! I have never seen a library that has only 75 books in it. My childrens library had more books than that. We need to have a larger stack in the librarys starting at least 200 stack. With all the forms we get and that are saved for others in the guild 75 is just not enough. The building shape is awesome but the stack sucks. while we are at it, when will we get new buildings. such as a :
    #1 Fiendish hut
    #2 Dryad tree hut
    #3 Dryad tree house
    #4 Elven hut
    #5 Elven Manor House
    #6 Elvan connie and pawn broker
    ( looks like the small circle in large circle in taz)
    #7 A personal size vault for plots. That is the size of a saris hut with the taz the vault door.

All other changes to the game we can make do with, even get comfortable with and find a way to make it work. The stack is something that is so needed to be upgraded on so many things. Houses, vaults Librarys.

Plz help the Devs hear our pleas by posting ya or nay in this thread. Lets make them hear the voices of Istaria.

~@~ Kymba ~@~
    I smell the sweet scent of dark victory. The ramped blood under foot flows as that of a ravens kiss. On the valley of dispear, the sun rises, drenched in glory i stand.

Default Re: UGHhhh DEVS must Read!!!

i'd love the different houses... i like the idea of trees having functional storage, and i've been wanting to put up a gnomish house on my plot instead of the human house for a long time. i don't know exactly what the issue was with just giving us more stack, something database-y / disk space maybe? anyway, i'm sure they'll take another look at it and get to it when they can. :-)

I don't suppose you really want to hear this, but since your plea was that we NEED to read this, I'll let you know it was read.

As a player, I just happen to disagree that you NEED more stack space. Now I realize that voice no longer counts as just a player, so I'll say that as a developer I don't think you NEED more stack space either. The "footprint" size of most characters is big enough as it is. There are other reasons that I feel number of stacks should be limited to, but I can quickly see those as derailing your topic, so I won't open those debates.

But I did read despite the fact that I really and truly dislike posts saying that someone (be it developer or player, or Joe Shmoe) MUST do anything. And hasn't this been brought up MANY times before (since we're capitalizing for emphasis and all )?

New stack would be nice. Favoran's vault and lair stacks are overflowing into his inventory at the moment. Of course, I still have 2 t4 halls, a t2 lair, a t6 lair, 2 t6 libraries, a t2 library, and a t4 library to go... so I don't think stack will be an issue if I can ever get my lair built up.

More stack = nice. Not, however, necessary.
    <----clicky!

Well, it WOULD help people if Forms and Techs were easier to come by.

Picture this. What if we got rid of the Imperial Lore Token system entirely, and just used Coin, Globally, for Beginner and Jman forms?

You would not only Reduce the "Footprint" of most characters (nobody would hoard these anymore), AND you would remove the NEED for more Stack capacity, since nobody would hoard anything but Expert forms, AND you would lessen the frustration and the need to grind Lore Tokens.

I have never, ever, ever liked or agreed with the Imperial Lore Token system, and have always thought it should go. It is old, it is tired, and it just needs to go. IBMs can stay, those are common enough that anyone can get them, without repeating the same boring quest 50, 60, 100 times for piddly XP and a few tokens.

What sucks even more, is that few towns have craft trainers who are willing to offer/accept quests, and more often than not, these NPCs are _nowhere near_ the resources needed, and some quests are just ridiculous and take too long to build up any decent amount of Tokens.

That is why people hoard beginner and jman forms, and when people hoard these, it creates more database clutter.

You'd be doing us a huge favor, by removing the Lore Token system and replacing it with cold hard coin. For the Love of Istara, though, don't make the coin requirement Too high (Hi2u Vielo). I'd say, about half of what the Dragon Cargo Disk vendor wants for his forms is about fair.

An added bonus, is that it would once again make Coin a more important currency in the world, too.

Default Re: UGHhhh DEVS must Read!!! -- well not MUST read this responce.. but it could help

While more stack room would be nice...it's not a must .. just would help.. I will however ask again for a look at the confectioners storehouses & ask for something simular for alchemist... PLEASE
    Blacknite - Chaos

Default ...

Our guild manages libraries just fine. We only keep Expert forms and have a GH for tokens that can buy jman and beginner forms. This saves a TON of space. It's all on how organized you can be.

One library for adv and stat techs, one library for craft techs, one libray on plot 2 for dragon scales, other one for different craft formula.

Shian has never had a problem with space because her whole lair is nothing but storage that is calculated for maximizing stack space (for all those annoying 1 bulk things you like to keep).

Now, I will admit that the older the game gets, the more space becomes an issue as new items are put in game but no new storage to go with it.

I will say that space has been brought up before, and everything is about as big as it can get.
    Make it any bigger and everyone will start complaining about the lag because they did not think that just upping a limit would not have any consequences such as decreased game performance. Porting and looking for mobs while the whole the game loads your immediate area is frustrating enough.
    Last edited by Shian; August 3rd, 2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: grammar

One comment at this point - with the increasing number of items attuned - these only can be in inventory or vault - there is an impact on stacks now that is of increasing concern. Vault limited to 300 stacks regardless of tier and mine has at least 40 attuned items now. I would urge devs to change some of this from attuned (vault and inventory only) to status of being able to store in plot storage but not be able to sell.

Knossos

Velea i agree with some of what you said its not a MUST NEED RED WHITE & BLUE alert

How-ever being one of Istaria true warriors i have 100's of forms i can fill up bags in Under a hour this means we would enjoy more place but it dose not take precedences to new content like your blighted labyrinth

(which i am eagerly awaiting i dare the devs to dream up a event that will take me off the front lines for long )

Yes i am kinda asking for it with the quots

More space would be awsome but not a must need i think that the way that this request was asked was a bit over the top but thats my two coppers worth

As always this is my thought and my thoughts are mine
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

I have an idea for how to get rid of a lot of the stack clutter throughout the game. In addition to being able to tech items from from their create screens, allow ppl to create techs as drop on item techs.

The knowledge window already has a tab for Techniques that are scribed with the icons simply attach item create ability to these icons and make the requirements identical to scribing (which is no requirement) and no Experience gained for creating, and no machine or tool requirement. So for each Armor 5 drop on tech you need only have 4 shining orbs, 2 Mithril Golem Fragments, and 2 Blood Skulk Fins.

This would mean that more tech comp resources could be used instead of stored in guildhouses. Crafters could make sets of unteched armor/tools/weapons/jewelry/spells available on conis for sale and also have for sale various useful drop on techs, and customers could then shop in channels for custom drop on techs.

It might stimulate Coni sales throughout Istaria

Quote Originally Posted by Katscratch View Post
    I have an idea for how to get rid of a lot of the stack clutter throughout the game. In addition to being able to tech items from from their create screens, allow ppl to create techs as drop on item techs.

The knowledge window already has a tab for Techniques that are scribed with the icons simply attach item create ability to these icons and make the requirements identical to scribing (which is no requirement) and no Experience gained for creating, and no machine or tool requirement. So for each Armor 5 drop on tech you need only have 4 shining orbs, 2 Mithril Golem Fragments, and 2 Blood Skulk Fins.

This would mean that more tech comp resources could be used instead of stored in guildhouses. Crafters could make sets of unteched armor/tools/weapons/jewelry/spells available on conis for sale and also have for sale various useful drop on techs, and customers could then shop in channels for custom drop on techs.

I like this idea a lot, please consider it
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

I once suggested making tech kits http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13706

I still think it's a great idea, but it wasn't received very well

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    I don't suppose you really want to hear this, but since your plea was that we NEED to read this, I'll let you know it was read.

As a player, I just happen to disagree that you NEED more stack space. Now I realize that voice no longer counts as just a player, so I'll say that as a developer I don't think you NEED more stack space either. The "footprint" size of most characters is big enough as it is. There are other reasons that I feel number of stacks should be limited to, but I can quickly see those as derailing your topic, so I won't open those debates.

But I did read despite the fact that I really and truly dislike posts saying that someone (be it developer or player, or Joe Shmoe) MUST do anything. And hasn't this been brought up MANY times before (since we're capitalizing for emphasis and all )?

Why don't Devs ever get this one?

This is a UNIVERSAL request in just about EVERY MMO.
    Players want more storage!
    Then when you give it to them, they want more storage!
    Never underestimate a players ability or desire to horde stuff...
    Disk Drive cost/GB is CONSIDERABLY less than it was when the game was released in 2003.
    Since Istaria is so crafting centric, the ability to horde large amounts of resources is a fundamental aspect of game play.

As a Developer, you should be asking your self these three questions:
    Would more storage attract new players? Maybe
    Would more storage make the game more FUN for existing players? Definitely
    Can more storage be implemented with existing developer resources and budget? Only you can answer that one.

Istaria WILL NOT survive if it doesn't get an influx of new players.
    Making the game more attractive to new players while retaining your existing player base is the milestone that all dev activities should be measured against.

The current team (that means you and the others) has made some great steps forward!
    Please, Listen to the players, their collective game wisdom GREATLY exceeds that of ANY dev team.
    Of course, their collective stupidity and greed is also unmatched!
    That is why you have to make the judgment calls.. lol

Remember: At the end of the day, players are your paying customers.
    This is a commercial relationship.
    That doesn't mean that I don't think your a not a GREAT person! (extra points for the triple negative)
    Game Developers enjoy a very special relationship with their customers that few other industries can equal.
    You can log in to the game and there are players who will treat you like a God.
    On the gripping hand, do you think anyone is calling up the Maytag repairman and telling him what a great person he is?

Just my $14.95 a month...

me and my wife need more item stack ^^ i requested more item stack a lot of times ^^ so i still need more item stack ^^ and not everyone owns a plot? or is a customer without a plot with not a player with a permitted need for item stack? its a pain to dislocate all your hordes items/stufff/crystals among 15 chars? isnt it?

*Takes his Emissary hat off in order to reply as a player*

Quote Originally Posted by Enter View Post
    Why don't Devs ever get this one?

This is a UNIVERSAL request in just about EVERY MMO.
    Players want more storage!
    Then when you give it to them, they want more storage!
    Never underestimate a players ability or desire to horde stuff...
    I believe you answered your own question here. As soon as you up the character footprint, you get requests to do it again.... and again... and again. And vault space really is unlimited at this point, due to the overstuffing mechanism allowed with novians and consigner drops, so why is an increase really needed?

Keep in mind that hoarding is inherrently bad for the economy. Granted, the economy isn't so hot at the moment anyway, but hoarding items just makes it worse.
    Exploring is a necessary skill, and its not like death is fatal. At least, not for the gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Katscratch View Post

I LOVE this!!! Dark Ages of Camelot has a simular system for techs where it is applied after creation & it is so esy to craft a bunch of items & then let ppl customize them as they desire... makes supplying armor/weapons easy & does help the economy greatly!!
    Blacknite - Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Oakleif View Post
    *Takes his Emissary hat off in order to reply as a player*

I believe you answered your own question here. As soon as you up the character footprint, you get requests to do it again.... and again... and again. And vault space really is unlimited at this point, due to the overstuffing mechanism allowed with novians and consigner drops, so why is an increase really needed?

Keep in mind that hoarding is inherrently bad for the economy. Granted, the economy isn't so hot at the moment anyway, but hoarding items just makes it worse.

Thank you for your reply..
    Really, Thank You

Your reply reminds me of the different perception gamers have about the Economy.
    I believe I can speak about Economics with some small amount of authority since I have a Bachelor's in Economics.

You said:"Keep in mind that hoarding is inherrently bad for the economy."

This is Completely incorrect. In fact, just the opposite is true
    What you call Player Foot print, Economist call Per Capita Wealth.
    Isn't it one of the defining characteristics of wealth that Rich People have horded assets?
    Higher Wealth is almost always equal to higher standard of living unless there is an extreme disparity between the haves and the have nots.
    This occurs mainly in Africa and a few of the oil rich countries in the middle East. They have Millions of people living on about $100/year Vs. a handful of people in the ruling elite who have Millions and in some cases Billions of Dollars.
    What ultimately balances any economy is the inherent ability for those in the lower income groups to move in to the higher income groups.

You also said: "I believe you answered your own question here. As soon as you up the character footprint, you get requests to do it again.... and again... and again."
    This line of reasoning is a classic conundrum.
    Why take a shower? You will only get dirty again and have to take another tomorrow.

The difference between players asking for a bigger foot print and let's say asking for prettier graphics is that a bigger foot print allows players with less to get more. It is one of the factors that determines the rate of advancement.

Just my $14.95...

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

A few thoughts of mine.

First, as to the topic-related title. I do believe it's been stated that the devs do read the forums, particularly the suggestions and game bugs threads because they get the feeling of what is needed and what people would like added or fixed. Not every dev may read every thread, but I am satisfied that they do read here.

Second, concerning the storage issue, this has been raised several times before. At present, we have what we have. If you wish to store more, might I suggest buying a bigger plot, adding another subscription and/or plot for making more storage, and/or making vault alts as many of the rest of us have? Plenty of resources out there to do those.

Third, pertaining to the database storage mentioned. It's not about the ability to store stuff on the hard drives, it's the fact of having to process all the data every time you open your inventory/vault and/or teleport from here to there. Yes, your inventory travels in your "backpack". If you notice when you log in, there is often a phrase "Loading items into backpack". That is your inventory, your cargo disk, all your scribed forms, techs, spells, and your vault. All the non-public database footprint of your character.

Fourth, Istaria will not survive without an influx of new players. This one I tend to be ambivalent about. We've survived in the past and we can likely survive again. However, I'm gladly seeing lots of new characters on Order shard, whether new alts or new players I'm not sure. Still, the main draw to Istaria comes from two major sources out there that are relatively untapped in any other game: the ability to play and grow a dragon and the ability to own and develop useful land. A good advertising campaign to once again make the public aware that we're here and what this game provideds would be more effective than making changes to backpack size in game.

Last, universal want. How does one know what another wants if the other does not make it known? Sweeping assumptions tend to be in error. Would I like more storage for my stuff? Perhaps. However, I still have more room on my plot for building. Tagath and I have more character slots for vault alts. Plus, his lair is still being built, which will mean even more storage. So, that "universal" need does not apply to me.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Picture this. What if we got rid of the Imperial Lore Token system entirely, and just used Coin, Globally, for Beginner and Jman forms?
    Personally, I have much more trouble with IBMs than ILT, even though I have a couple thousand of the former and none of the latter. Being a crafter by nature (it's so much funner than hunting, IMHO), I don't see any problem in running out to get a diskfull of uncut(t5 gem here) and turning them in for 4 or 5 jman tokens per 70 uncut gems. I can hold TONS of them with my 17000 bulk. Not a problem.

IBMs are far more of an issue, because you don't have as much of a dependable source for them as a crafter. Where do they drop? Mobs, of course. If you're a die-hard crafter, where are you going to get them? My blight alt is currently 12/37, with 9 IBMs. I can't go to the festival without IBMS to buy tickets with, and I can't find IBMs without hunting. What can I hunt, at level 12, that will drop IBMs resonably?

Of course... someone gave that alt 250 IBMs, so now he has some. That's the only reason my main has so many, is cause they got traded to him. Sure beats hunting, if you ask me.

Why don't they make some crafting quests for IBMs, or take out both IBMs and ILT altogether?
    <----clicky!

This is Completely incorrect. In fact, just the opposite is true
    What you call Player Foot print, Economist call Per Capita Wealth.
    Isn't it one of the defining characteristics of wealth that Rich People have horded assets?
    Higher Wealth is almost always equal to higher standard of living unless there is an extreme disparity between the haves and the have nots.
    Thank you for your post, Enter, but I had to step in and correct some assumptions here that are incorrect.

When we refer to the player footprint, it is nothing like "Per Capital Wealth". In fact, we're talking about memory consumption on the server and also in the client.

You see, every item you have in your inventory, vault, worn, etc must be loaded into memory when your character logs on. That can become a substantial load on the application. In addition, the more storage you have the more that has to be loaded when you open structures. This data must be transferred from the database to the player.

Finally, the player footprint also refers to the amount of database space taken up by players (not just stuff you wear, but everything you own). Multiply that by several thousand players and you can imagine that amount of memory taken up by players in Istaria.

The larger the database, the longer it takes to perform some types of operations. And the longer it takes to do maintenance.

Stacks of things are the biggest culprit because they represent new rows in the database tables. That is one reason why we've been going through and making crystals stackable. It effectively gives players more storage without us actually having to increase it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information