Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympics 2008

Default Re: Olympics 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Trust me, if I had a choice whether or not to buy "made in China" products, I would very well exercise such choice. But... with more and more and more industry being shipped over there, it is getting to be very hard to buy something that ISN'T made in China these days.
    That's exactly the point. All those politicians protesting and being concerned, where were (are) they when production went to China?
    Nobody protested then, but now on a "safe" subject (not being economic) now they have "concerns" I can't take that serious. It would have much more impact if people at least would try not to buy "made in China" stuff or if goverments would try to prevent industry moving over there, but that would cost, so ... everybody sticks to idle words.
    ( Don't get me wrong, I do take the human rights isues everywhere very serious though).

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Oh i completely agree with you Sigi. At the end of the day it would be better all round for a country (any country) to produce what they can in their home country (at least the 'important' stuff, like food etc), less transport, more jobs for 'our own' etc. But no, if we can just ship in vast amounts of cheap, passable stuff to make our end products with, yay *rolls eyes*

I also admit to being 'lazy' when it comes to stopping stuff like this. Mainly because whilst I believe in the inherent goodness of the human race underlying everything, I also believe that most of the human race is too lazy or selfish to actually dig down to that goodness... though I also admit that everyone I actually know, I tend to think WOULD do something... heh I'm too trusting and willing to see the good in everyone in some ways One of the latest marketing ploys though in the UK is at least the promise that call centres are in the UK (quite a few companies seem to use this as a selling point now), so if we complain enough things can change!

As for Chavs... I live in the middle of Walsall... I could do with a handy supply of grenades to chuck out my window at 10pm every night. Whenever I go back home to Yorkshire to visit parents and friends, it's such a difference. There are no 'real' chavs up there (not in our little town at least, in Hull there's billions of course). There are kinda... wannabe chavs. Well they are still townies in all honesty, they don't dress like chavs and don't ask for 20p or live on benefits, they're basically school kids that just hang out in the middle of town.
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I figured the topic would get around to this eventually XD The state of human rights in China and the fact that most of everything is now made in China are directly related. And here is why:

China has a HUGE population: 1.3 billion as of 2007 which itself alone accounts for a sixth of the worlds total population. This gives the chinese massive man power to work from, and as China is a newly industrialising nation (mostly secondary and primary industrial bases) this creates a great deal of intrest amongst neo-colonialists and TNCs who need cheap labour. The fact that trans-national corporations are not bound by any enforcable kind of international law means that such a large, unskilled workforce is disposable for all effects and purposes. Despite China being a communist nation, the ancient feudal caste system is still largely in place, so the people who make the laws have little regard for them themselves. Not a good mix.

What this all boils down to is a workforce that is disposable and has few rights, who are kept in their place by their own sheer number, and the opression of whom is largely fueled by 'western' interests. Because of this China now basically dominates the export market on electronic goods. China, despite its stupendous population, is one of the few countries in the world that is totally self sufficient for everything it needs. Their borders are still fairly closed to foreign interference, and as much as i banged on about the state owning us in the 'western' world, at least the government cant simply pull up in a van, bundle you into it and no one ever see you again.

This state of affairs could be ended if governments just got off their backsides and enforced human rights laws on TNCs, encouraged the use of 'home made' products and enforced a policy of education for unskilled workers. What we are seeing has paralells in history: the Industrial Revolution and the treatment of workers in the mills. It could be ended in much the same way. Who says history doesnt repeat itself?

As for chavs, i live up in Newcastle and the place is crawling with them. Friday and saturday nights are not safe to walk the streets unless you want a broken bottle or knife to the ribs. Currently starting a petition to legalise the use of flamethrowers on anyone found guilty of serial charverism... for the good of society, human kind and the world in general of course ^^
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

Ooh Melanth, can I join your petition? hehe. And include "golf carts suitably modified with spikes, blades and anything else useful in the eradication of said chavs" to it? *grin*

See, stuff like that just proves that government is corrupt and likes to make themselves look 'big'. Most of the wars that America/UK get involved in are 'Oh, well... they have a nasty dictator type so we're being jolly good chaps and helping them get rid of him..." but as soon as there is a country in the same need but who might actually have the force to fight back, we mysteriously leave them be...
    Shadria: Hatchling 22/24/0 - Intorqueo: Hatchling 5/3/0 - Affina: Saris - Pevil: Ancient Lunus 100/100/57 - Zordraak: Hatchling 5/3/0

I've opted to leave my opinions on politics and economy out of public eye.

I would however, like it noted, that not everyone who eats squirrel is dumb.

Not everyone who is/should be/could be classified as a "redneck", is dumb.

While not offended, I do think the trend against "simple folk" and small time farmers is a bit skewed towards the stereotypical side. I don't much care for it.

Just some things to think about. Even in the rants section some topics should be handled with care.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova View Post
    I would however, like it noted, that not everyone who eats squirrel is dumb.

Not everyone who is/should be/could be classified as a "redneck", is dumb.

While not offended, I do think the trend against "simple folk" and small time farmers is a bit skewed towards the stereotypical side. I don't much care for it.

Just some things to think about. Even in the rants section some topics should be handled with care.
    If you read further down the page weve already said that stereotypes are only enforced by the media, and though because a few idiots do happen to be rattling around the place, they by no means represent the majority share Rednecks was just plucked up as an example of an existing and well known stereotype. Stereotyping is as much about definition as anything else; the simple small farmers you describe as 'rednecks' are completely different from the stereotype that i had in my mind. Simple and stupid are two different things- a person can be simple without being stupid, and its the wantonly ignorant, selfish and stupid aspect of the stereotype that (to me at least) attracts the term 'redneck'.

Besides, I'd love to try squirrel ^^ my mate thinks its delicious, and she is usually right about these things
    Last edited by Melanth; August 13th, 2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Melanath- level 100 ADV/ 60 DCRA -
    Shas Mackard- Saris Berserker/Outfitter et al

For Lunus, for Dralk! Death before Dishonour!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

speaking as a squirrel eating hillbilly, i agree, but i have grown used to the stereotypes.......

(ps - make sure the squirrel has been boiled, braised, or marinaded for a very long time. squirrels are very gamey for their size, unless 'farm raised'......but its fun to hunt em!)
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    speaking as a squirrel eating hillbilly, i agree, but i have grown used to the stereotypes.......

(ps - make sure the squirrel has been boiled, braised, or marinaded for a very long time. squirrels are very gamey for their size, unless 'farm raised'......but its fun to hunt em!)
    Ha... well when I mentioned my squirrel eating friend... it wasn't just the fact that he ate squirrel. I should have made that clear sorry.

But really... squirrel? I've eaten rabbit and that's rather nice... but squirrels are just so small. :| Is it tasty enough to be worth the hassle?

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    But really... squirrel? I've eaten rabbit and that's rather nice... but squirrels are just so small. :| Is it tasty enough to be worth the hassle?
    Well it's like snails or frog legs, those are also very small and don't have much meat on them.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Well it's like snails or frog legs, those are also very small and don't have much meat on them.
    Sounds scrummy... I'm english... Beeeef, chicken, lamb...mint sauce... mmmmm... *that's* meat.. I stood on a snail the other day... and once a frog.. *pop*! lol...

A Bill Bailey quote springs to mind...

"I'm actually vegetarian, but I eat fish..... and Duck. Well they're almost fish arn't they? Flapping about on the water. Come on they're basically fish. (pause) And pigs, cows, sheep and anything that lives near water ... so I'm a pretty casual vegetarian. I eat meat - ironically."

Never heard of him? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfh7t...eature=related ... some of it is related to Brit stuff though.

Rakku

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

mighty illy - the supreme ability of istarians to totally and completely derail a thread never EVER ceases to amaze me......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    mighty illy - the supreme ability of istarians to totally and completely derail a thread never EVER ceases to amaze me......
    Blame the squirrels! They're evil I tell you!! What a plotting and scheming mind lies behind those beedy eyes...

Free* Gnome Pie** to the next on-topic poster.

Rakku

* Winners Soul belongs to Me. Soul-less creatures are excluded from this offer.
    **Gnome Pie prize still applies if winner is a Gnome.

So which Olympic event have you enjoyed most yet?

I heard earlier about Georgia beating Russia at volleyball, thanks to the Brazillian immigrants to Georgia... rather ironic given the invasion of late, no?

*munches on some chocolate mousse pie made from an old gnomish recipe* ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    So which Olympic event have you enjoyed most yet?
    UUhhmm.. what was the topic here?
    I think, the answer to this question belongs to ZEX` thread.

*holds her urn with clava in one claw, and waves a poster with the other claw:
    "SAVE THE SQUIRRELS" *

I'm glad one of our (USA) own was able to make Olympic History, being the guy who won the most Gold Medals of any individual athlete, ever, in his career: Michael Phelps.

That guy is just so full of win (literally!), and it really makes me think that I'm glad he's one of ours.

Hey Dhalin- wasen`t it always "one of your own" who held this record?

Congrats anyway- and if the athlets make us happy, they did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    I'm glad one of our (USA) own was able to make Olympic History, being the guy who won the most Gold Medals of any individual athlete, ever, in his career: Michael Phelps.

That guy is just so full of win (literally!), and it really makes me think that I'm glad he's one of ours.
    The paper today referred to the shear size of his arms and called him the Human Dolphin ... the daily mail says his 'wingspan' is greater than he is tall, which in itself is pretty unusual. Those are some long arms... no wonder he wins!

A fantastic achievement, so I hope he can pull off three more golds to then be the record holder for most golds in one Olympics. I do wonder if he was bioengineered by the military...

Rakku

heh yes my colleague was telling me about Phelps, I really, really hope that he wins his other 3 events!

Well, update, he won at least one last night, had to go to bed before the other. Not only did he win, he smashed the 2nd place winner, by over a second and a half IIRC.

Well if you didn't watch the 200m butteryfly last night...you missed on hell of a race!

Phelps won...by 0.01 sec...a single hundredth of a second.

So now he has 1 race left...the 400m IM relay...it will be a total upset if the American team loses considering their strength...I'll definately be watching.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Thread Information