Thread: how making new textures?

Default how making new textures?

hi there!

I'd like to make new textures.
    I already saw how to convert an agh into a tga file.

but now i make Tgas becoming agh again by modifying extention and it don't work (in agh wiewer: "index is out of table")

I'd like to know how to convert tga to agh properly.

I also would like to know if there is a way to add skins and no replace it (perhaps there is a file with code to modify, set the number of skin from 15 to 18 for sample, I don't know)

It should be nice to create a pack!

thank you all, and have a nice day!

Default Re: how making new textures?

You should be able to simply place the tga files in your resoruces_override directory and start the game (make the appropriate textures\...\ subfolders for this! certain folders cause different conversion options to be used (tints, )

If it doesn't automatically create a textures_agh\...\file.agh for each textures\...\file.tga then here are a few things you might try:

/setpref updateAGHFiles true

and then restart or use /purgetextures

(you'll need this in your commands def in resources_override)
    Code:
    		//purgeTextures
    		{
    			string name = "purgeTextures"
    			string abbrev = "purgeTex"
    			string usage = "[no parameters]"
    			string description = "Purges all texture and image resources for immediate reloading."
    		}
    I'll test this out myself later after work.

OK, so if I want to create a new dragon skin, the original directory is:
    Horizons\Resources\textures_agh\characters\charact ers\dragon_u

I create Horizons\resources_override\resources\textures_agh \characters\characters\dragon_u\clothing

and I put in it my new textures at tga format?

knowing that there are 15 dragon skins
    (dragon_u_sk08_head00_base.agh.Tga)
    can I call files for being the 16st skin?
    (dragon_u_sk16_head00_base.agh.Tga)
    or change the 00 to 01 to have a new map? or have I to modify code in aanother file to force the game seeing there is a new skin and raise up number?

then, I haven't understood for /setpref updateAGHFiles true and /purgetextures, these are to enter in chat text field in the game?

whatever, thank you for answering!

you cannot add content to the game in most cases, you can only override existing content.

exceptions are sounds/playlists, maps, and certain properties of the interface

so for your dragon skin, you would use the same file name as the skin you want to modify.

/ commands are used in game.

the /purge command, as stated, would need to be added to your commands file just like /setscale

have you tried any of this yet? There's no real reason not to experiment and see what happens. worst case is you'll need to re-patch some files.

One issue I have is that I modify the player command file and the game patches it back to the original, erasing the modification. Any way to make it ignore this?

erm... put it in resources_override?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    (you'll need this in your commands def in resources_override)
    Code:
    		//purgeTextures
    		{
    			string name = "purgeTextures"
    			string abbrev = "purgeTex"
    			string usage = "[no parameters]"
    			string description = "Purges all texture and image resources for immediate reloading."
    		}

And where, and what name have we to give at the purgeressource def? I tried
    Horizons\resources_override\resources\definitions\ characters\dragon\dragon_u_purgeTextures.def
    and type /purgeTextures but it don't works.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    erm... put it in resources_override?
    doh. *pat self* Helps to read closely.

yea, but what about the file name?
    purgeTextures.def?

Quote Originally Posted by derkomai3523 View Post
    yea, but what about the file name?
    purgeTextures.def?
    go to resources and copy player_commands.def to resources_override and add the code at the bottom within brackets in this file.

OK, thank you muche!
    now the game take my new texture as a single one, result: no transparency, no highlights...

do you know who is made a dragon? if grayscale AGH are used for other things than bump? does base files contains opacity data wich are loss in tga format?

I think there is some transparency that has been lost for at least the fins, it looks like. TGA is usually the recommended format for textures because it can hold alpha channels and such, if I remember correctly.

Afraid I am of little help, I am not sure what the engine's limitations are in full, so I dont know if it will take .gif or things like that.

The AGH viewer has columns for the number of bits that are for r,g,b, alpha, and luminosity.

The grey maps are alpha + luminosity maps. When you edit these, try exporting to DDS instead of TGA, then use directx texture editing tools to edit the luminosity map and save with propery transparency and properties. I think the game still converts DDS to AGH.

Another thing to note: some of the textures are oddly sized, but the export function makes them have edges that are power-of-2 in length... so be sure to check the dimensions listed in the interface and resize the exported images before editing. this will ensure that the image will be mapped to the model correctly.

COWL!!!
    I cannot play mor Istaria cause I don't have money for now, but Istill can try to make new textures!

a mater I had before is that my maps were flipped! lol

I would like to know if somebody would be agree to test my maps?

and there is just fiew colored maps, wich have DDS column, I'd like to know wich are theire utility?

OK, I found alpha channel only on colored textures wich are savable as DDS.
    for other alpha/luminosity, when I save it inTGA, alpha is here but totally white, and when I save it in DDS, the map is just ugly and the alpha kasi totally black.

EDIT: OK tgas have alphas OK.

so I guess that for none DDS files it should be saved as TGA. but I still don't know what are utility af colored maps.
    and even if I use alpha for alpha and luminority maps, is the game will understand or will I have again a greylevel dragon?
    Last edited by derkomai3523; September 16th, 2008 at 07:15 AM.

Thread Information