Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested Dragon Riding?

Red face Suggested Dragon Riding?

Hello,

I have been playing for awhile now, extremely off and on, and I was curious if there was ever an idea of a biped riding a dragon. This may sound extremely absurd to the dragons, but I have met a select few that would let a biped ride them if possible. I am very big into the lore of DragonLance and I know this game is not that. But there is no way for a biped to fly, no griffins, no eagles, no makeshift gnomish device. I know the devs have a LOT on thier plate and I have no concern if this gets passed or not. I am not a fan of playing dragons simply for the fact of I like options. I have tried playing dragons, but it gets boring to me because I can't change my class. Yes I know as a dragon you can do all the resources with the same class, but I still get bored. I mean no offense to those who love dragons, I really do enjoy dragons in the lore aspect of things. I think they are very majestic and bold. I was just curious if the devs had an idea of what that might take as well as if the thought ever joggled thier mind. For all the dragon players out there, I, again, mean absolutely no disrespect.

Thank you for reading.

Default Re: Suggested Dragon Riding?

It's come up a few times before.

http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...light=mounting
    (There may be more, this was just a quick search)

I don't think it is in the works, though. Not that I would know...

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hi hector and welcome to horizons!

we recommend newbies perform a search for similiar threads before posting a new topic -
    for instance, this particular topic has been bandied about for years!
    here is the current thread of discussion:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...=dragon+riding
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Dragon riding? Is that new? How.. DEGRADING! I don't want some human thinking they can come up and ride me.. ewwwwww...

Having said that, my bipeds would really love this.

*twitches..

dragon riding would be great all dragons who dislike it, would not need to use it ^^

It would definately be the choce of the dragon.
    That said, Callak has often wished he could take friends with him to where he is headed.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Oh, but Callak...I have SEEN you fly! Straight into mountains...snarled in tree branches...head bonking buildings. Would be a dangerous ride! Hehe.

Oh?

Someone else does that too?
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Lol,A new way for Dragons to make money. A dragon taxi service.

If my Dragon were to be giving anyone a ride, she'd need to be bribed. "Something of value to you, in exchange for something of value to me." As long as she's getting something out of it, she won't mind... as much.

Some hoard pieces, a handful of silver, and/or something good to eat are the only things that would ensure the survival of the person she was supposed to be carrying.

A Dragon can get hungry carrying all that extra weight.

Quote Originally Posted by aine View Post
    Oh, but Callak...I have SEEN you fly! Straight into mountains...snarled in tree branches...head bonking buildings. Would be a dangerous ride! Hehe.
    (Shh shhh! ) <,,< >,,>

* snuffles curiously*

Several main reasons this will never fly (pun intended):

1: Animators and artists needed to create assets and animations for riding a dragon.

2: Players that don't think dragons should be taxis

3: The big one: Allowing dragons to take passengers would circumnavigate the game's challenge for getting from point A to B. An ROP would no longer be challenging as the hatchie could be flown to Draak. Bipeds could be flown to dragon accessable only areas. Why fight the mobs to get into a Cenataph when a dragon can drop you onto the hillside behind it? It would defeat certain challenges the Developers have established.

I wouldn't mind it being done, but if you look at the big picture, it probably won't.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    Several main reasons this will never fly (pun intended):

1: Animators and artists needed to create assets and animations for riding a dragon.
    Why is this a reason it won't fly? Shouldn't they be able to develope somthing new for the game like this? Why is it that every time some developement more complex than a few setting tweeks has to be done on the game ot make somthing happen that everyone assumes it can't or won't be done, isn't that the devs jobs?

2: Players that don't think dragons should be taxis
    I don't think dragons should be taxis either, but I've said this several times, I have no problems with carrying friends with me. What about those dragons that do want to play taxi and make coin or hoard doing it? Shouldn't that be their choice? Yet another reason I don't agree that this is a reason that it won't fly.

3: The big one: Allowing dragons to take passengers would circumnavigate the game's challenge for getting from point A to B. An ROP would no longer be challenging as the hatchie could be flown to Draak.
    Point taken, but I bet there is a way around this.

Bipeds could be flown to dragon accessable only areas.
    Yet a dragon was involved to allow the biped to get there. Thus, the biped was granted access by a dragon... I don't see anything wrong with this. If other dragons in the area don't like it they should take it up with the one of their kind that broke the rules.

Why fight the mobs to get into a Cenataph when a dragon can drop you onto the hillside behind it? It would defeat certain challenges the Developers have established.
    Again, point taken, but I still wonder if there is ways around this.

I wouldn't mind it being done, but if you look at the big picture, it probably won't.
    The big picture isn't all that big in my eyes. There is really only two problems here as I see it. Dragons could choose to accept or decline giving rides, mabe even they are the only one that can initiate a ride offer window.

* snuffles curiously*

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    Yet a dragon was involved to allow the biped to get there. Thus, the biped was granted access by a dragon... I don't see anything wrong with this. If other dragons in the area don't like it they should take it up with the one of their kind that broke the rules.
    Elder and wise. My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

As each eye sees it, so let it be to that sight. But this I would ask.

Ye speak of draku that consider another has done a thing they find ill seeking that matter's resolution with the one they have found to offend. And my asking is.. how? For, and rightly so, we Gifted may not rend each the other. There is little that such a one may need that others might deny them... and thus, what cost is there to one that seeks to do a thing the many might not seek?

Once done, it is done, and may be done once more. There is no seeking I have found to ponder that might stand against such a thing.

That a thing may not be done... it may not be done. That a thing may be done but may offend others... then there is no manner to set that thing aside I know. And thus, each one that hath will may set aside the will of the many, the tradition of the land, lore and deed, task and task's despite.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

Why is this a reason it won't fly? Shouldn't they be able to develope somthing new for the game like this? Why is it that every time some developement more complex than a few setting tweeks has to be done on the game ot make somthing happen that everyone assumes it can't or won't be done, isn't that the devs jobs?.
    Check out Galde's thread on improving dragon flying animations. Solitaire gave reasons.

Point taken, but I bet there is a way around this.
    Mmmm.. yes. Bring back the red walls so that neither dragon nor biped can gain access to the area. Now everyone walks so the quick and easy path is only used for joyriding.

Yet a dragon was involved to allow the biped to get there. Thus, the biped was granted access by a dragon... I don't see anything wrong with this. If other dragons in the area don't like it they should take it up with the one of their kind that broke the rules..
    All it takes is one.
    Don't we have enough fighting going on already with the shunning of our own kind with the social ascention rules?

The big picture isn't all that big in my eyes. There is really only two problems here as I see it. Dragons could choose to accept or decline giving rides, mabe even they are the only one that can initiate a ride offer window.
    The big picture is that such an undertaking would take the amount of resources (time and effort) something equivalant to a world wide event. I'd much rather have a world wide event than having to spend all that time and effort for a reletavely minor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by peladon View Post
    Ye speak of draku that consider another has done a thing they find ill seeking that matter's resolution with the one they have found to offend. And my asking is.. how? For, and rightly so, we Gifted may not rend each the other. There is little that such a one may need that others might deny them... and thus, what cost is there to one that seeks to do a thing the many might not seek?
    Does one have to rend another to voice their displeasure? Or to challenge to dual in the areana? Anyway, remember I am also apposed to allowing bipeds go where they shouldn't, but at the same time if a dragon, even assisted in a biped's arrival I assume that they must have a good reason for it. At least they cant easily come and go at will, and those that are there are there because a dragon took them there. Just my opinion, but I'm sure many don't agree.

* snuffles curiously*

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Check out Galde's thread on improving dragon flying animations. Solitaire gave reasons.
    My point was not reguarding how long it would take to actually get to it, my point is the fact taht people say it CANT be done or probably WON'T be done. Granted Solitare would rather have a lot of other things improoved and added first. So would I, but I would rather hear, "It is not in our plans any time soon, but we may be able to look into it in the distant future", rather than, "It can't be done."

Mmmm.. yes. Bring back the red walls so that neither dragon nor biped can gain access to the area. Now everyone walks so the quick and easy path is only used for joyriding.
    I allways hated red walls. How about this? Sertain quests fail if the charactor is carried? After all there are sertain quests that fail if portals are used.

All it takes is one.
    Don't we have enough fighting going on already with the shunning of our own kind with the social ascention rules?
    I simply find this a very sad reason to not add dragon riding to a game like Istharia. Which I think could liven things up a bit both roleplay wise and exitement.

The big picture is that such an undertaking would take the amount of resources (time and effort) something equivalant to a world wide event. I'd much rather have a world wide event than having to spend all that time and effort for a reletavely minor thing.
    I hear this so often these days reguarding good suggestions that it frusterates me. Yes, sertain unique things are going to take time and effort, again that's what the devs are supposed to be doing is putting time and effort into the game. If they don't have the time and not enough effort mabe they need to hire more, but I understand they aren't hiring. I also don't consider this a "minor thing". I know many bipeds AND dragons that would find this aspect quite exiting.
    Last edited by CallakDW; September 2nd, 2008 at 06:31 PM.

* snuffles curiously*

My point was not reguarding how long it would take to actually get to it, my point is the fact taht people say it CANT be done or probably WON'T be done. Granted Solitare would rather have a lot of other things improoved and added first. So would I, but I would rather hear, "It is not in our plans any time soon, but we may be able to look into it in the distant future", rather than, "It can't be done.".
    Okay, there's your answer.
    I'd rather be real about something as in, "it's a nice idea, but so far down the line in the future it probably won't get done the lifetime of the game" but I suppose labeling it as such is the same thing depending on your point of view. Hence why certain players simply label it as "can't/won't be done"
    Last edited by Shian; September 2nd, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

Why is this a reason it won't fly? Shouldn't they be able to develope somthing new for the game like this? Why is it that every time some developement more complex than a few setting tweeks has to be done on the game ot make somthing happen that everyone assumes it can't or won't be done, isn't that the devs jobs?
    When I got to interview David Bowman almost 3 years ago, We spoke of dragon mounting and riding. I thought of an easy method, without using too much animation and assets, to have them towed on a cargo disk standing. He said that would be an easy way out of it but not quality. It would take an artist to construct a 3D model of a saddle, and an animator to animate 11 races to climb and sit. The same answer went for swimming, the resources it would take to hire animators (at that time) to make 11 character races doing swimming animations was not in their budget.

So what it amounts to is: if you want anything done involving coding and asset addition, it takes time and manpower and paying the manpower wages to make something like this come to fruition. Right now I think their hands are full just fixing the game's issues from years ago.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

When I got to interview David Bowman almost 3 years ago, We spoke of dragon mounting and riding. I thought of an easy method, without using too much animation and assets, to have them towed on a cargo disk standing. He said that would be an easy way out of it but not quality. It would take an artist to construct a 3D model of a saddle, and an animator to animate 11 races to climb and sit. The same answer went for swimming, the resources it would take to hire animators (at that time) to make 11 character races doing swimming animations was not in their budget.

So what it amounts to is: if you want anything done involving coding and asset addition, it takes time and manpower and paying the manpower wages to make something like this come to fruition. Right now I think their hands are full just fixing the game's issues from years ago.
    This is the big problem in my mind, it's not in the budget, they don't have the manpower. Everyone is so happy that they can manage to do just enough to keep the game going and not that much more to enhanse it. Yes they do add some materail to the game, but nothing really impressive these days. I would like to see somthing impressive added for once. This is a personal pet peeve about Istaria, is it allways seems to only have just enough pumped into it to keep it alive. That said, I know they are working on the dungeon, and they have said they are working on one of my going on 6 year bug reports reguardling flaws in the dragon art assets. Both of those are some large art resource reworks. Its going to be interesting to see how they turn out, but depending on how well they are done, I should be really happy with them.

* snuffles curiously*

Thread Information