Thread: Playing Horizons/Istaria offline?

Realm of Order [Elsewhere: Los Angeles or Wesley Chapel]

Default Playing Horizons/Istaria offline?

Awhile ago I read a post with instructions on playing this game offline by editing the "prefs" files. You could walk around the world with a chosen character model, but only just that. No fights or anything, just walk around and see places you never thought you could online because of mobs or other obstacles.

I noticed that Virtrium renamed and reorganized the structure of the game folders. So is it no longer possible to "play" offline?
    j'Phaelluin:Mage/Monk/Scholar/Cleric,Druid,Scout,Warrior/Blacksmith/OutfitterTiaeruih:Scout/Cleric,Mage,Warrior/Outfitter/Scholar,BlacksmithMhoss:7DragonAdventure/3Crafter

Default Re: Playing Horizons/Istaria offline?

Huh, I never knew it was even possible to "log in" offline, even if it just means looking around... It'd be interesting to try. So long as it still works.
    <----clicky!

No fights or anything, just walk around and see places you never thought you could online because of mobs or other obstacles.
    but where's the challenge in that? ;-)

honestly i have no clue but if you could mess around with stuff before, i don't know why you couldn't again, if you were really into figuring out which files were used for what.

I have an offline copy of twilight, from the last gasps with land deformed all over the place. A batch file can launch it with a toon spawning as a dragon. Can fly around and look at things.

I may have to do the same with chaos pre-plotresize.

I just tried the offline mode a while ago myself and it worked. So I don't think anything radical's changed You probably don't need to do all the steps to get it work anymore, though. I remember only editing the launch pref file.

But I'm no expert on this subject, I'd suggest you just to follow the instructions and mess around for a bit. You will find a way

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

One reason I can think of is for a crafty player, with relatively low level adventure levels, to be able to explore areas in Deep Blight that they'd never see otherwise. There are many wondrous sights that are "reserved" for higher level players, and this would allow some to see those sights (sites too. ) I've never been back to the Wedge interior since beta for example; other sights would be the bottom of the spiral, and the Machines of Domination on the satyr islands.
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

It is still possible to launch the client off line, though I'd have to dig through the settings to figure out again which settings to change. The really is not much point to doing it other than just to do it. The main reason being is that the game does not have all the terrain data pre-installed on your computer. You have to go there before it is downloaded and stored in the cache file. If you are in offline mode and go to somewhere you have never been before, you will be standing in a white void with nothing but sky over you. Which would get quite boring quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulamata View Post
    One reason I can think of is for a crafty player, with relatively low level adventure levels, to be able to explore areas in Deep Blight that they'd never see otherwise. There are many wondrous sights that are "reserved" for higher level players, and this would allow some to see those sights (sites too. ) I've never been back to the Wedge interior since beta for example; other sights would be the bottom of the spiral, and the Machines of Domination on the satyr islands.
    That wouldn't really work because worldcache cannot download in offline mode. You can only explore areas you've been to.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    That wouldn't really work because worldcache cannot download in offline mode. You can only explore areas you've been to.
    Unless you get a friend to send you their world cache. >_>

clientprefs_launch.def
    requireCommandLineParams = false
    netEnabled=false

clientprefs_common.def
    useLoadingScreen = false //may be needed if you've selected a starting location near/in sectors that are not cached. I'll leave it an exercise for the reader to figure out how to alter starting location. (hint, it's not that difficult to fine :P)

double click horizons.exe

Quote Originally Posted by j-Xiti View Post
    Awhile ago I read a post with instructions on playing this game offline by editing the "prefs" files. You could walk around the world with a chosen character model, but only just that. No fights or anything, just walk around and see places you never thought you could online because of mobs or other obstacles.

I noticed that Virtrium renamed and reorganized the structure of the game folders. So is it no longer possible to "play" offline?
    Why whould anyone want to do that other than just to say that they've done it before?

It's nice to be able to see some mobs up close in full detail without them trying to beat the snot out of you. Also useful for trying out an adult dragon if you don't have one yet.

n/m figured out how to set the character type

Soraii
    Last edited by Soraii; September 18th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.

hmm, anyone got the old pre-merger world cached somewhere, complete? Would be fun to fly around there and have a look again...

I still got unity cache.. but i think that would be the same as the current shards ^^

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I remember trying this out before the Rites of Passage was released. I last tried it in early 2007. The method needed some adjusting as some files are rearranged, but it did work. You'll only see areas that are in your cache, and you'll look like a 'default' player. I'd selected a dragon and appeared brown with a default model.

Rakku

Thread Information