Thread: Plot/Lair Permissions Info

Default Plot/Lair Permissions Info

On order shard lately there have been some complaints about things being taken from silos.. so I made this little list to help folks understand how to set permissions in their lair/plot and thought I'd share it in this forum also.

Two types of permissions in a lair/plot:
    Overall permissions (plot/lair permissions)
    Structure permissions (each one can be selected once they are completed and a type of permission chosen.. the default here is DENY ALL)

Permissions explained:
    Allow all - Free access to anyone... put up a sign that says.. "use this" it's now PUBLIC access.
    Guild only - Only people that are currently in the same guild the owner of the plot/lair is can access.
    Friends only - Selecting this for the plot permissions brings up a window that you can type in the names of the people you want to give access to certain structures in your lair/plot or the whole thing.
    Deny all - Only the owner of the lair/plot can access.

How overall permissions work in conjunction with per-structure permissions:
    The most STRICT permission always is the one that is used in a given structure.

Examples:

OVERALL permission set for "Allow all", Silo set for "allow all"
    This is a PUBLIC SILO. Although these are very very helpful and people really appreciate them being around.. I would avoid putting anything in them yourself that you wouldn't mind losing.

OVERALL permission set for "Allow all", Silo set for "Friends only"
    Any structure in your lair set for "allow all" with the overall permission set for "allow all" will be public (see example above) EXCEPT this silo because you made it "friends only" and "friends only" is more strict than "allow all" so the silo permission overrides the overall permission in the lair/plot. So only the people you specify in your friends list will be able to access this silo.

OVERALL permission set for "guild only", Silo set for "Allow All"
    This silo is not a public silo. Even though you have it set for "allow all" like the prior example, your OVERALL permission is "guild only" which is more strict so it overrides the structure permissions and makes it so only your guildmates will be able to access this silo or any other structure in your lair/plot that is marked "allow all"

OVERALL permission set for "Allow All", Silo permission set for "guild only"
    Yep, you guessed it.. the structure permission is more strict, hence it overrides the "allow all" overall permission.. only guildmates can access this silo.

OVERALL permission set for "DENY ALL", Silo permission set for "allow all"
    The overall permission is more strict so it takes precedence, only the owner of the plot/lair can access this silo.

Hopefully that helps clear up some of the misconceptions out there. A PUBLIC silo is actually not an accident.. because both the overall permissions and the structure permissions have to be at "allow all". And both default to "deny all" so you spent a total of 30 seconds making that change.

A thief can't steal what they can't access.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Default Re: Plot/Lair Permissions Info

Thank you for the clarification. Most helpful, indeed. But I still have a few "friends" that I wouldn't trust with the contents of my Saris Manor house, and some that I can trust. But I can't see any way to make it "real-friend" specific. Is there a workaround for this?

Would be nice to have a tent set up on my plot where i could "drop off" an item for a customer and give him exclusive access so that I know he, and he alone, received it when it vanished

Hmmm that can't be right. I have my plot on Deny all, and my silos on guild usable... and they *are* usable by guild.

Maybe thats the way it *should* be , but it doesn't work like that unless they have just recently changed it (last 6 weeks).

Thy Mensar, we should have known earlier.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Friends only - Selecting this for the plot permissions brings up a window that you can type in the names of the people you want to give access to certain structures in your lair/plot or the whole thing.
    I would love a feature like this, where you can specify the availability of any structure, but I don't recall ever actually seeing this in game. There's Deny All, Guild Only, and Allow All... or if there is an option that lets your friends access, it just looks at everyone on your player list, which really doesn't do any good. Nothing that lets you specify each name individually.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    OVERALL permission set for "Allow all", Silo set for "Friends only"
    Any structure in your lair set for "allow all" with the overall permission set for "allow all" will be public (see example above) EXCEPT this silo because you made it "friends only" and "friends only" is more strict than "allow all" so the silo permission overrides the overall permission in the lair/plot. So only the people you specify in your friends list will be able to access this silo.
    This is NOT possible. You can not set individual structures for "Friends Only". Only the Plot permission can set for "Friends Only".

ohh ?
    we shall try all this later
    I`ll let you know..
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Set your PLOT permission to "Friends Only"

Set your all your structures to "Allow All"

Only people that on your friends list will be able to access those structures (Silos, Houses, etc).

You can still leave one or more to "Deny All" for your own personal use.

All shops will still be useable by everyone.

Permissions set do not stick. I've had to reset mine repeatedly over the last year. So check your permissions every so often. I don't know if its maintence resetting it, or if it is because I tried to use seperate permissions for seperate structures (i.e. deny all to silos and allow all to craft rooms), or what.

But I do know that they don't always stay set.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Forgot one MAJOR part. You MUST be at your flag stone for these changes to take effect. Changing them from through your character window from a remote location will NOT set the permissions. They revert to what ever permissions you had before you tried to change them.
    Last edited by Hoberton; September 11th, 2008 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    This is NOT possible. You can not set individual structures for "Friends Only". Only the Plot permission can set for "Friends Only".
    I stand corrected (haven't logged in to look) but the bottom line (and the point) is the more strict of the two permissions always takes precendence.

But thanks for pointing that out so nobody clicks "friends only" on their structure.. or tries to.

Or, I guess they can't.

So no point beyond pointing that out.

SO thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    Forgot one MAJOR part. You MUST be at your flag stone for these changes to take effect. Changing them from through your character window from a remote location will NOT set the permissions. They revert to what ever permissions you had before you tried to change them.
    Good thing you covered that major part.

To piggyback on that: If you press "c" and click general tab and the link to your plot under owned property, you'll get the plot info screen as if you were standing in the entry to your lair or at your plot. Changes to permissions can be made remotely, but won't change on the plot until the next time you arrive at the plot.

If you log out in the meantime or zone (teleport), it will reset to whatever you had the plot at before.

Quote Originally Posted by Favoran View Post
    I would love a feature like this, where you can specify the availability of any structure, but I don't recall ever actually seeing this in game. There's Deny All, Guild Only, and Allow All... or if there is an option that lets your friends access, it just looks at everyone on your player list, which really doesn't do any good. Nothing that lets you specify each name individually.
    I apologize that I put them in backwards.. the overall permission as "friends only" and the silo as "allow all" will give your friends access.

I think everyone got the point beyond my typos and apparent ignorance in leaving out related information.

At least I hope it helped someone.

If you have any questions about whether you set your permissions properly, get someone to try to access a structure in your lair or on your plot.

Just for the record, I've only ever done it inside my lair at the door .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Just for the record, I've only ever done it inside my lair at the door .
    That's.. kind of personal..

Well, at least you were in your lair, but one would hope that the door was at least closed....

you are a dirty dirty dragon...

Seriously though, I went and checked yesterday - the last time I changed everything I just set it all to "deny all" because it was after some stuff went *poof*...

When I checked it yesterday, it seem to almost be what i had BEFORE I went and changed it to "deny all" . But again - only almost. All the silos but one were set to deny all (as they should all be always), and all passage but two were set for "allow all" (as they all should be). So..how those three objects got their permissions switched - no clue. But I know I didn't do it...

(and yes I have sense been told, since I started this strategy, that actually I can set it to deny all everywhere and people can still explore my lair - for whatever reason I thought the big red walls were still in game and would prevent people from just walking around...but I"m old, I tend to forget what gets changed...heh).
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

How would I set generic Guild Only -- friends list structure -- structures dont have
    a friends list (or would I have to list the entire guild list + friends in the plots friends?,
    then allow guild for guild only and allow all for list (including guild list))?

Way it was explained to me, to be able to use a house, silo, tent, anything exept shops the person (other then owner that is) trying to access must meet BOTH permissions, the plot permission and the structure permission.

Such as putting people on friends list for plot and then setting a silo for allow all wil allow anyone on friends list to use but nobody else. Setting the silo for deny all noboby but owner could use. Setting the silo for guild only would allow any guild member that is also on the friends list to use.

Thats the way it was explained to me and seems to work for me.

Smaug

Thread Information